Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I really want to love this game, but I am terrible at it. 20 hours playtime and I just hit 20 and tried my first placement match. I said "whaaat" to a good double kill that lost us the match, and got told to die you oval office and burn in hell.

I don't think my crosshair placement is too bad, but I still get owned by peekers and don't have much map knowledge with regards to angles. I also feel an intense amount of pressure when I'm the only one left, like, way more than even CS:GO. Seriously, any tips beyond what's in the OP?

f#a# fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Play more honestly, so much of the game comes down to learning the maps and understanding the angles you can get shot at, followed by what angles people are likely to be coming from. If you don't know how a given map will "flow" you'll look like an idiot to people who do - but if they're raging about it instead of being constructive, ignore them they're assholes.

Casual doesn't let you pick the site you defend or your spawn, but I've found it to be generally chill if you're looking to just shoot mans and break some walls.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

f#a# posted:

I really want to love this game, but I am terrible at it. 20 hours playtime and I just hit 20 and tried my first placement match. I said "whaaat" to a good double kill that lost us the match, and got told to die you oval office and burn in hell.

I don't think my crosshair placement is too bad, but I still get owned by peekers and don't have much map knowledge with regards to angles. I also feel an intense amount of pressure when I'm the only one left, like, way more than even CS:GO. Seriously, any tips beyond what's in the OP?

I would suggest continuing to play in casual until you feel more comfortable, or play ranked with friends while ignoring text banter from other team. I got huge improvements when I started pre-firing almost constantly. Noise on other side of wall? Shoot wall. unsure about the corner? shoot while turning corner. Eventually you learn where to prefire and where not to, at the cost of announcing your presence a bit more often.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

f#a# posted:

Shoot mans, shoot gadgets, shoot walls, have fun

Qubee
May 31, 2013

f#a# posted:

Placement matches are gruelling. You're gonna die an awful lot and feel really overwhelmed at how good the opponents seem compared to you. I don't know why the placement matches are that rough, I had the same issue not long ago. But once you pass placement and get given a rank, you'll feel much better and like your opponents are at a similar skill level.

Til then, either play casual if you enjoy it more, or grind through placements til you get your rank. I loving hated placement matches and I went from playing daily for hours to all of a sudden barely playing it. I wanted to start playing ranked but the placement matches were so garbage that I could only manage one or two a day before ragequitting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ranked rotation would be perfect if they got rid of themepark (and also deleted it from the game) and put in house instead

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really miss house and yacht. Is the SAS training map in ranked as well? Cause I feel like I haven't played it in ages, and I love that one too.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Theme park isn't bad. It would be much better and more akin to Coastline if they condensed down the haunted side to 1/2 the size the area is now and removed all the wasted outdoor space.

Bring back boat. I'd play Favela willingly if I had too if it meant I could get the chance to play Yacht again.

And I agree that House is the best map ever made.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress Favela, it was the most garbage map ever. I despised playing it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
theme park owns for sneaky roamers :ssh:💨

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Theme park is a good map

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Q8ee posted:

I really miss house and yacht. Is the SAS training map in ranked as well? Cause I feel like I haven't played it in ages, and I love that one too.

Nope, Hereford is out for being too much of a spawnpeek heaven.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I feel like whenever I see someone in this game their crosshairs are already trained on my head. I always die within a second of seeing someone.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Presumably this is because they know where to look. On the defence you learn a bunch of angles of approach from the attackers that are popular and you try cover one of them, so you know exactly where the head is going to peek. On the attacking side you know where the defenders like to sit so you can prefire, or drone them out to be sure.

Running around and sprinting causes noise, especially as a 3 armor or 2 armor operator. If you hear some BONK BONK BONK going around and you know the map, you can quickly cover the right angle. I assume this is what your opponents are doing.

However, being killed within the second probably means you're playing with gold players or above. Which is entirely possible: matchmaking in casual or in placement matches is extremely wonky.

Keep playing, look what well-performing teammates or enemies are doing, and every time you die, add this trick or this specific spot to your repertoir of tricks you can pull on opfor. A lot of getting gud at this game relies on rote memorization of specific hotspots, dangerous corridors and sometimes on particularly nasty pixel peeks.

Protip as attacker: breaching more holes and killing the roamers gives you more angles to attack and the defender more angles they need to defend, lowering the chance of them knowing where you're coming from if you're quiet.

EDIT: if you look at some streamers doing full matches (instead of just the cool compilations they put on youtube) you can learn some good spots and angles really quickly. They perform well consistently but it's not always flashy, so they don't upload it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

firefights are short in this game unless one side disengages to survive/rotate or take cover. it only takes a couple of shots to kill someone.

if people are constantly getting the jump on you they probably hear you very well. the sound isn't always perfect but if you're near a place like stairs or a hatch you can use them like a lovely radar and it helps guess which floor they're on. as long as you're really quiet, you can camp spots like this and listen for them to setup an ambush. you just have to keep in mind that they can also hear you and sometimes they are actively hunting you in the same way.

you can use sound to trick other players into making a move too soon. other players will try to bait you rustling around a bit while they're already tucked really deep into a corner with the perfect angle on anyone that walks into the room. i've thrown nitros onto doorways before just to keep someone from trying to walk through it because it makes a unique beep of death sound. you can save 1 reinforcement and use it late somewhere random in the map to attract attention there. you can even annoy other players by just using tachanka's MG or a LMG to burst fire for the entire round so the defenders can't hear your teammates sneaking up to the walls to place breach charges.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Protip as attacker: breaching more holes

So much this, use all your breaching charges.
When defending it is very stressful to see the objective area of the map turning into Swiss cheese yet a lot of attackers die before using their breaching tools.
The worst are the Hibana who think they're fraggers and don't bother to break hard walls.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZN9IUFrs0

mira's shotguns and putting her windows in random places is surprisingly fun.

...even if when it goes wrong and a single twitch turns the game into survival horror as an elite operating team is using your own defenses against you

a really funny hibana just put her fidget spinners on the mira window and never blew it but it obstructed the window so the only way to clear it off was to expose myself

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the guy in the first half of that video? I'd have teamkilled him, what a tool. ingenious way of saving a downed teammate though, I'd never have thought of it. and the second half of the video, why didn't you shoot the stereos to stop the music :(

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the strip club is a sacred temple and you mustn't let the doves fly until you've lost control of it

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

They can do whatever the gently caress they want with his gadget as long as they don't mess with my boy Vigil's rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kV_LcJn5s0

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 20, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Basticle posted:

They can do whatever the gently caress they want with his gadget as long as they don't mess with my boy Vigil's rifle.

the betrayal when you were downed in the hallway and it was safe, especially since 4 dudes were sitting on objective. the guy who said "we can't" made me "what"

drat, if someone broke your ace that would have sucked.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Basticle posted:

Have you heard of leaning?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Have you heard of leaning?

You mean what I was doing when I killed 4 of the 5 guys in an ace? :thunk:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Basticle posted:

You mean what I was doing when I killed 4 of the 5 guys in an ace? :thunk:

Yeah when you actually kill them you do but you spend so much of the video aiming and not leaning that it's noticeable and disconcerting.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Sorry it triggers you bro

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not trying to insult your ~Gamer Sk1llz~ so no need to be so defensive, I was just curious if you were aware you rarely leaned

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
He's leaning when he takes corners and on 4 of the 5 people he killed he was leaning to peek on someone.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah when you actually kill them you do but you spend so much of the video aiming and not leaning that it's noticeable and disconcerting.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Basticle posted:

That one kill that you finished through the wall was satisfying as heck. I love those.

tjones
May 13, 2005
To be fair, I think the leaning replies were due to the fact that the leaning is only happening at the corners instead of leaning in anticipation of corners or to help pie them off as you approach angles.

I mean there's more leaning in any given random console round than what was in that video.

Whatever works though; nice round.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

For reasons I can't explain I just cannot do toggle lean in games and I don't have enough fingers to strafe across a hallway and lean at the same time so :shrug:

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Basticle posted:

For reasons I can't explain I just cannot do toggle lean in games and I don't have enough fingers to strafe across a hallway and lean at the same time so :shrug:

Don't feel bad, the amount of replays I have where I walk through a door leaning the wrong direction is way higher than I'd like to admit. Spending a whole firefight leaning one way is where it's at.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if a vigil player makes someone wonder what/why then they are probably doong somethin right

also check out his chibi, he's doing a dramatic anime pose like he just jumped out of the 2nd floor window and is about to knife the enemy at their first breach point

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ACValiant posted:

Don't feel bad, the amount of replays I have where I walk through a door leaning the wrong direction is way higher than I'd like to admit. Spending a whole firefight leaning one way is where it's at.

I spaz out if I'm spectating someone who leaves their lean on

tjones
May 13, 2005
Im not trying to be critical. It was just my observation.

I lean the wrong way all the time and its hilarious every time, especially with quick nade throws. I also play on a dirty console and envy being able to lean while idle instead of having to ads at the same time and accidently knifing more than I should.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Basticle posted:

You would literally die watching me play.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Basticle posted:

Meh, you're in good company. I haven't even mapped the leaning buttons.

Q and E have always been my reload and action buttons. I'm not about to break that habit now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Basticle posted:

I would give you a stroke

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

One of the dudes I play with recently got a mouse with like 7 buttons and is an idiot and has Sprint, use, reload and I think grenades bound to it in addition to the usual shoot and aim. In the beginning there was some unfortunate TKs when he tried to reload or interact, let me tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

My favorite thing is when two defenders are both trying to impact grenade the same wall only one throws it just slightly sooner than the other and so they then get slapped in the face with an impact grenade.

• Locked thread