Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Dr.Caligari posted:

picked up a 2015 Nissan Juke Nismo

Sorry for your loss :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Don’t make me regret my decision .

Back seat dimensions were rapidly becoming my problem, cargo space wasn’t so important .

This is the same thread that initially mocked me for buying a ‘Ford Tiesto’ back in ‘13 before FiST were given the thumbs up.

Good to know, it’s definitely

quote:

Juke
Second Head Room : in 36.7
Second Leg Room : in 32.1
Second Shoulder Room : in 51.4
Second Hip Room : in 48.4

Fiesta
Second Head Room : in 37.2
Second Leg Room : in 31.2
Second Shoulder Room : in 49
Second Hip Room : in 49.2

bigger inside

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’ve never driven a Veloster , so I can’t compare.. Four doors were a must though, and I’m not sure if they offer that.

My next step up in roominess was a fwd Ford Escape with the non-Ecoboost engine. So the little pepiness and awd was attractive in the Nissan.

Listen. I’m poor and morphing into a legit dad. My next vehicle will probably be a Mercury Marquis or 1990 Ford F-150 to match my grumpiness and receding hairline, so take it easy on me .

e; how do they measure second headroom? I get it’s not *that* much bigger, but from setting in the back, the headroom seems taller and wider than the Fiesta.

Fake news!

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 17, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
If you're going the affordable tepid hatch route, then I'm pretty sure the Kia Soul is the current unironic winner.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Or an XB. I’m not going to poo poo on your choice (out loud) but my wife’s XB has been a great car. It’s almost not aggressively unfun to drive with the 5spd, too. My insurance calls it a Sport Wagon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If you like it good for you dude. I didn't realize Richard Hammond had like 8 alts on SA.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I get the hate, but the interior of the Nissan (the nismo at least) is quiet a bit nicer than my Fiesta had, and better than the Soul or XB (granted, I’m not sure if they have a higher trim model than I’ve been in).

The Soul or XB may have been a bit cheaper, but that’s all beyond the scope of the thread

Also remember this wasn’t some purchase I planned on needing. I have to have a car to survive and I had not budgeted on making a major purchase.

If I had a heads-up 6 months ago that I was going to need a car, I most certainly would have saved for a FoST or WRX.

Such is life

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 17, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PabloBOOM posted:

If you're going the affordable tepid hatch route, then I'm pretty sure the Kia Soul is the current unironic winner.

I think I've mentioned here before that if Kia had offered the second-gen model with the 2.0 and a stick I'd almost certainly have one rather than my Fiesta. The 2013 I used to have was a great driving appliance and the big engine + three pedal combination made it actually somewhat fun. The interior was enormous too. The second-gen models ride and handle a lot better thanks to major suspension upgrades, but they locked the 2.0 to the autotragic and the 1.6 was so underpowered I felt that flooring it the whole way up the onramp near me was actually mandatory rather than just fun.

Now there's the turbo model which I hear is pretty peppy plus it has a DCT, but it's a dry clutch DCT so I'm wary about its longevity.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

I get the hate, but the interior of the Nissan (the nismo at least) is quiet a bit nicer than my Fiesta had, and better than the Soul or XB (granted, I’m not sure if they have a higher trim model than I’ve been in).

I'll give you that much. The interior of the domestic options are made from poo poo and rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They don't call Nissan the Japanese Chrysler for nothing. Bland, low quality interiors as far as the eye can see.

I'm driving a new Golf as a rental and I am reminded of how good the Golf platform is. I might have to go GTI or Golf R for my next new car in a few years.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They don't call Nissan the Japanese Chrysler for nothing. Bland, low quality interiors as far as the eye can see.

I'm driving a new Golf as a rental and I am reminded of how good the Golf platform is. I might have to go GTI or Golf R for my next new car in a few years.

What does that make Subaru, vis-a-vis interiors?

Cuz my 2016 sti interior....woof.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You should have got a golf 1.8tsi and tuned it. There is more room in that than the kia stinger.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

If I came from driving a Golf I might agree with you.

e; ^I don’t know much about VW, but if I weren’t left without a ride I would have looked at them.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 18, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So I am about 8 months into owning my Golf R and one of the reasons I bought it was for AWD and the fact that it might help me deal with slick roads during the winter. This morning we had an early morning ice storm with lots of black ice. I had put snow tires on 2 weeks ago and holy poo poo does it just MUNCH on icy pavement. I love it. It's the most fun thing I've ever driven, and even in "drive" shifting and "comfort" tuning, when you drop the hammer it loving roars.

Do always buy Golf R.

Plus two super cute girls that go to my gym drive GTis and they're always looking at me my car :( enviously.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AWD doesn’t do anything for slick roads except give you more traction so you can go faster before you crash. It’s all about the tires.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
AWD/4WD does not help you stop any faster, that's why it's not uncommon to see big trucks off in the ditch, or the big SUVs. More weight too so even harder to slow down or stop :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'd rather drive a rear wheel drive car with winter tires in the snow than an all wheel drive with all seasons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like someone's got a case of the MONDAYS

goddamn everyone salty af lately

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
AWD drifting in snow/ice is tons of fun

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GutBomb posted:

I'd rather drive a rear wheel drive car with winter tires in the snow than an all wheel drive with all seasons.

Amen. And you can still do donuts. :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd rather drive a RWD with snow tires than an AWD with all-seasons, but what I'd prefer even more than that is driving an AWD with winter tires. Which is why I am selling the Mustang, which has winter tires, and getting a Golf R, which will also have winter tires.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Focus RS + Michelin Pilot Alpins + Drift Mode = fukken amazeballs

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Okay, then just read "snow tires are amazing" from my post that's fine the sentiment is the same.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just clicked submit on my request for quote at our credit union. :f5:

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
No that anyone cares, but I'm the guy who went temporarily insane last week and was seriously thinking about getting these OZ wheels:

I came to my senses today and decided to order some Volk Racing TE37 Sagas instead. They are absurdly expensive but I couldn't stand the idea of getting replicas.

I will have real pictures for the thread in a few months when they arrive in the county......yes, months. :(

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Crescendo posted:

No that anyone cares, but I'm the guy who went temporarily insane last week and was seriously thinking about getting these OZ wheels:

I came to my senses today and decided to order some Volk Racing TE37 Sagas instead. They are absurdly expensive but I couldn't stand the idea of getting replicas.

I will have real pictures for the thread in a few months when they arrive in the county......yes, months. :(

These are sick AF and now I think I have an idea for the style of rims I'd like to slap on my new summers.

Of course I'm going to get them in black because I'm a baby back basic bitch, and I'm going to get replicas because I want them in a week, for $90 a rim, but the theme is the same.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crescendo posted:

hell yeah good choice

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

These are sick AF and now I think I have an idea for the style of rims I'd like to slap on my new summers.

Of course I'm going to get them in black because I'm a baby back basic bitch, and I'm going to get replicas because I want them in a week, for $90 a rim, but the theme is the same.

Thanks man!

Apparently Rota "Grid" wheels are pretty OK for the price (some folks even race on them). They cost $250 AUD here in Australia, so I guess they would be something like $150-200 in the US.

BraveUlysses posted:

hell yeah good choice

:madmax:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

goddamn everyone salty af lately

I doubt any of you are near me , but I stlll have my OEM 17” Gunmetal Rados w/ BF Goodrich Radial TA’s.

One rim is damaged but if anyone needs a replacement rim I’m willing to sell as a set or piece out for cheap

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Very beautiful. Didn't fully appreciate them until I watched a video, but drat, obviously premium.

Ignorant question incoming: would these make a difference in the handling or speed of the car?

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Taima posted:

Very beautiful. Didn't fully appreciate them until I watched a video, but drat, obviously premium.

Ignorant question incoming: would these make a difference in the handling or speed of the car?

Thanks, I'll post the actual pics in this thread when I get them mounted next year.

As to your question, first up let me say that I'm definitely no expert - anyone actually competent is welcome to dispense their knowledge.

Lighter wheels do positively effect the performance of the car. A lighter wheel means less mass for the engine to turn, and less mass for the brakes to slow down, so that will be a net positive for acceleration and braking. Also, lighter wheels means there is less mass needing to be damped by the suspension damping system, so the amount of damping would increase. This means less oscillation and bouncing of the wheels when cornering hard and going over surface imperfections, which in turn causes the tires to stay in contact with the ground more. All of this is good for grip and the driver's 'feel' of the surface, at the cost of feeling firmer and stiffer (OK if you're performance driving, bad if you puttering around town).

I don't think top speed is improved, because the wheels are rotating mass and not part of the car's sprung weight (sprung weight is the car frame and all the poo poo on top of it, including you). Sprung mass is a limiter on acceleration, braking, and top speed (think of a minivan and a small car with the same engine, but the van is carrying 8 people versus the car's 1), whereas unsprung mass (the suspension and wheels) is a limiter on acceleration, braking, and road contact. Apologies for the butchering, as I know it's not that simple and I'm probably leaving a lot out, but it's kind of an answer at least.

In any case, the stock 18x7.5 "Austin" wheels are 25 lbs, and the 18x9.5 TE37 Sagas are 18.8 lbs, which saves ~24 lbs of rotating mass in total. However, I actually got the got the 18x8s, so that will save more weight still, maybe a pound or two? So, I'm saving around 28-30 lbs total of rotating mass, not INSANE, but definitely impressive.

It should have a noticeable affect on acceleration, handling, and feel to a keen driver, but I'm not really a keen driver, so some (much?) of it will be lost on me. Also, I sincerely doubt I'd be able to detect the improvement in the 0-60 times with my human senses. The most noticeable effect I think would be the feel of the suspension. The wheels being easier to damp should make the ride detectably stiffer.

Honestly, I got the Volks 80% for the look and 20% for the performance, which is ridiculous given the price really. It would have made way more sense to get a similar but 'inferior' non-forged wheel, because by my own admission the performance gains are not that important. The euphemism for someone like me is 'purist', but really 'stupid' or 'financially irresponsible' would be more appropriate. :)

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Taima posted:

They're probably quite a bit lighter than stock because IIRC they're magnesium, so at least a little bit. How noticeable it would be though? :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah they're forged aluminum but you should be able to notice the lighter wheels, but how much you notice it will depend on if you are keeping the existing tires or upgrading to a better compound.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
There is literally no car that TE37s look bad on imo

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

There is literally no car that TE37s look bad on imo

This man speaks the truth.

Edit: I might actually have something to contribute to the thread instead of just shitposting, depending on how financially irresponsible I'll get after Christmas.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Disagree, TE-37 doesn't look good in face 1/2.

e:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 20, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crescendo posted:

I don't think top speed is improved, because the wheels are rotating mass and not part of the car's sprung weight (sprung weight is the car frame and all the poo poo on top of it, including you). Sprung mass is a limiter on acceleration, braking, and top speed (think of a minivan and a small car with the same engine, but the van is carrying 8 people versus the car's 1),

Top speed shouldn't be meaningfully affected by mass, at least on a firm, flat surface and within the design range for the vehicle. Drag and friction should be the only limiting factors there. Obviously additional mass will cause more tire flex and thus some additional friction there, but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference if you have appropriately increased the tire pressure for the weight.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

wolrah posted:

Top speed shouldn't be meaningfully affected by mass, at least on a firm, flat surface and within the design range for the vehicle. Drag and friction should be the only limiting factors there. Obviously additional mass will cause more tire flex and thus some additional friction there, but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference if you have appropriately increased the tire pressure for the weight.

You're right, I guess I didn't really think too hard about it. (Good thing I included a caveat about not knowing poo poo!)

In space, with no air to cause drag and only tiny amounts of gravity pulling on it, a mass can be made to move as fast as you want up to a point, as long as there is sufficient force to accelerate it. Right?

Engineering challenges aside (heat to name just one), the limiting factor on Earth must be friction and air resistance, exactly as you said.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 20, 2017

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Crescendo posted:

Apparently Rota "Grid" wheels are pretty OK for the price (some folks even race on them). They cost $250 AUD here in Australia, so I guess they would be something like $150-200 in the US.

Missed this the first time. I don't know of eventual recent developments, but I've seen enough cracked or shattered Rotas to make me think that their QA/QC isn't top notch so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Missed this the first time. I don't know of eventual recent developments, but I've seen enough cracked or shattered Rotas to make me think that their QA/QC isn't top notch so to speak.

All wheels are wear items, and all wheels will break.