Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I've started to take over my spouse's investments (RRSP and TFSA). Does it make sense from a diversification stand point to alter the ETF's in her portfolio?

For example, my TFSA is with TD, and RRSP with Questrade. Overall, I hold 10% Canadian Equities, 5% VCN, 5% TDB900. I'll be setting her up with Questrade, and was contemplating going;

XIC to my VCN/TDB900

XAW to my VXC/TDB911

XUU to my VUN/TDB902

ZAG to my VSB.

Or am I overthinking it? I know they should all track relatively evenly, but I'd be lying if I'm not excited to be buying different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I manage for the both of us, and I keep things identical to the extent possible. The one exception is tax loss harvesting decisions, which may happen in different accounts at different times, and do necessitate a switch in ETF.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My wife's TFSA is around 40% bigger than mine because a US investment I made for both of us a few years back that I "tax optimized" into my RRSP has done incredibly well and now I'm (almost) jealous that hers is free and clear.

I think that's a vote for doing things identically, but even though we're primarily in broad-market ETFs, there's that little voice that says "yay diversification!".

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What's the next step once your tfsa and rrsp are maxed out? Next year I should be able to top them both off relatively quickly.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Demon_Corsair posted:

What's the next step once your tfsa and rrsp are maxed out? Next year I should be able to top them both off relatively quickly.

Investment condos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Not risky enough. Mortgage Investment Corporation

Seriously though, if you don't already own property it's worth considering once you get to the point of maxing out your TFSA and RRSP. I mean unless you're in one of the bubble markets.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

I relocate too often for work for housing to make sense, and don't see that changing barring some opportune deal after a 2008 style collapse.

Now that I have a babbys my priority for investment vehicles is TFSAs, RRSP, RESPs (to full match), and then unregistered. In the open account I've been holding VCN (favorable tax rates) and VXC (non-optimized drag is worth not doing ACB calculations). RRSP/TFSAs are a mix of XEF/XEC/VUN/VAB since those were my first accounts, but am slowly shifting bonds to RRSP through rebalances. RESPs are 100% equities also split between VCN/VXC. Once my balances get large enough I'll sit down with an financial planner to tweak but this has been good enough for where I am imo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Guest2553 posted:

I relocate too often for work for housing to make sense, and don't see that changing barring some opportune deal after a 2008 style collapse.

Now that I have a babbys my priority for investment vehicles is TFSAs, RRSP, RESPs (to full match), and then unregistered. In the open account I've been holding VCN (favorable tax rates) and VXC (non-optimized drag is worth not doing ACB calculations). RRSP/TFSAs are a mix of XEF/XEC/VUN/VAB since those were my first accounts, but am slowly shifting bonds to RRSP through rebalances. RESPs are 100% equities also split between VCN/VXC. Once my balances get large enough I'll sit down with an financial planner to tweak but this has been good enough for where I am imo.

Can't stress this vehicle enough, it's basically a tax break for the wealthy.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/student-solution/articles/6-common-questions-about-withdrawing-money-from-an-resp-answered.html

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

I need to get my act together and set one up for my 11 month old. I've been meaning to look into individual vs family plans, ect, but life gets in the way.

Is it really that big of a tax break for the wealthy though? $250/year, up to $7200 lifetime? Don't get me wrong, it's free money that I want to take, but it's practically a year of CCB payments for a low income family.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

I need to get my act together and set one up for my 11 month old. I've been meaning to look into individual vs family plans, ect, but life gets in the way.

Is it really that big of a tax break for the wealthy though? $250/year, up to $7200 lifetime? Don't get me wrong, it's free money that I want to take, but it's practically a year of CCB payments for a low income family.

It's 20% of 2500 per year, so $500 per year. Plus any growth in the account is tax-deferred and then taxed at the recipient's tax rate, the recipient being a current student (or recent graduate), so probably low tax/no tax. At worst it's a guaranteed 20% per year return on investment for ~15 years, at best it's tax free growth on $50k+ over ~20 years.
And you know all those limits are going to go up eventually.

Get on that poo poo

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 20, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd like to think some future government will kill them because they are such an unnecessary hand out to the upper middle class (as keeps happening to provincial grants), but get while the getting's good.

Given it's late December, thought I'd mention that you don't need to rush to bank right now or lose out, you can receive up to two years' grant in a single year.

Therefore, if you hypothetically open RESP when kid is 2 in 2019 and make the 2019 and 2018 contributions at that time, you would double up again in 2020 to catch up 2017's and then drop to 1x limit per year.

Still, tax-free compounding. On average, best done sooner than later.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Square Peg posted:

Get on that poo poo

This I cannot dispute. And not sure why I posted $250; I think I knew it was $500.

Regardless, free money that I need to get on. I just feel like if we want to discuss tax breaks for the wealthy, this is low hanging fruit.

RESP: Individual plan or Family plan? I have a second child on the way, but don't forsee us going being two (unless my financial situation changes drastically, at which point I don't think it would matter).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I have twins and I opened a family plan for them.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

This I cannot dispute. And not sure why I posted $250; I think I knew it was $500.

Regardless, free money that I need to get on. I just feel like if we want to discuss tax breaks for the wealthy, this is low hanging fruit.

RESP: Individual plan or Family plan? I have a second child on the way, but don't forsee us going being two (unless my financial situation changes drastically, at which point I don't think it would matter).

I think the only real significant difference is a family plan is only good until one of the recipients turns 31, so if there's a large age gap between siblings it can not work as well, but your kids will be close enough in age that it shouldn't matter. Just know you still need to make contributions to specified recipients within the family plan, and avoid group plans/scholarship plans as they're basically scams.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not risky enough. Mortgage Investment Corporation

Seriously though, if you don't already own property it's worth considering once you get to the point of maxing out your TFSA and RRSP. I mean unless you're in one of the bubble markets.

Yeah if you think the government is never going to allow the housing market to collapse, and you're comfortable with the risk, a MIC could be a good idea. There is some thought that with the government introducing stricter lending rules in the new year, there will be more demand for secondary lending.

MIC dividends are treated as interest income so there's no tax advantages.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

cowofwar posted:

TD is a garbage incompetent rear end in a top hat bank so that's what you get.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and sign the forms.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have the forms ready, please sit here and wait for an hour while we try to get another branch to fax them to us.

*Hello, it's TD, please come down and get your bank draft.
*Hello, thanks for coming, we don't have any bank drafts left outside the vault and we can't tell you when the vault is opening again so please just go to another branch, it's just down the street that a way (actually kilometers away).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/safety-deposit-box-opened-1.4458273

quote:

Wedding jewelry, immigration papers go missing from TD Canada Trust branch
By Alexandra Zabjek, CBC News Posted: Dec 21, 2017 6:00 AM MT Last Updated: Dec 21, 2017 4:14 PM MT

Suraj Khatiwada of Edmonton was shocked to find his safety deposit box, No. 145, empty when he went to his bank on Oct. 25.

An Edmonton man is searching for answers, and his wife's treasured wedding jewelry, after his bank allowed his safety deposit box to be opened and the contents mysteriously disappeared.

Suraj Khatiwada had stored his immigration landing papers, his wedding ring, and his wife's 22-carat-gold wedding bangles and necklace in a safety deposit box at TD Canada Trust in the Westmount neighbourhood. He said he had the box for about five years.

According to the sign-in sheet, Khatiwada last used the box two years ago. When he went to the bank on Oct. 25, he was shocked to see the key hole on the box had been drilled out.

His items were gone.

'My trust was broken'

"I put my valuables in a safety deposit box, because I had trust these documents would be more safe in that safety deposit box, even compared to my house," Khatiwada said.

"That was my trust. But everything was in vain. My trust was broken."

According to Khatiwada, the bank said its computer system showed the box was empty, a statement confirmed by TD Canada Trust.

"In this case, our system incorrectly showed the box was unassigned and we are conducting an internal review to figure out exactly what happened," said Geraldine Anderson, who works in corporate and public affairs for TD.

Bank employees don't have keys for safety deposit boxes. But they can call a locksmith to drill into a box if it needs to be opened, Anderson said. That might happen if a customer has lost the key, or if there is a court order, or if bank records show the box is unassigned.

Any contents found in those boxes are supposed to be stored securely.

It's not clear what happened to Khatiwada's belongings.

"We're trying to figure out what happened," Anderson said. "Whatever we can do, we will."

'These things are invaluable'

Khatiwada said he has always paid the safety deposit box fees. Even if the bank had reason to open the box, employees should have notified him when they did so, he said.

"They asked me the monetary value," said Khatiwada, who immigrated to Canada from Nepal. "How do you value my landing papers? How do they value my wedding rings? How do they value my wife's necklace, bangles, and other valuable things I have [from] our wedding?"

"These things are invaluable. They cannot compensate with anything. That's why I'm saying, 'Give me my valuables.' I don't need anything else."

Anderson said she understands that the bank can't fully compensate for a sentimental loss.

"But as we conduct our review to figure out what happened, we're also simultaneously talking with him and trying to make this right and doing our part to make the situation right to the best of our ability."

Khatiwada said he has filed a report with Edmonton police.
lol TD

So no one can open the deposit boxes but I guess a manager can just mark it as unassigned and then have it cored and keep the goods.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is TD honestly the worst piece of poo poo bank? It seems like the biggest shittiest consumer complaints tend to originate from TD more than the other ones.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I bank with TD, they are cool and good. cowofwar you seem to be having a branch level issue, I recommend trying another branch or institution if need be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I worked there I always did my best to make sure things were done fairly for customers, and I was extremely liberal in applying my $75 a day in miscellanious fee refunds. As long as you weren't a giant dick I would refund NSF fees.

I've also never had a problem in the 15 years that I've been doing my banking there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sample size n=1 here, but TD dicked me around less than I've seen friends/family be dicked by BMO and RBC. I've been with them for 14 years which means gently caress, I'm getting old.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I banked with TD for 20+ years (Canada Trust originally), but moved to RBC when TD had incredible difficulty producing information I needed for kinda-tax filings, depending on who I got on the phone. My wife and I would routinely be told different things about their policies. It was very frustrating.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
More anecdata but CIBC hasn't dicked me around yet.
They are super annoying about trying to sell to me anytime they have me on the phone though. Like one time I phoned visa to report fraud and before the call was over they were trying to sell me life insurance. :fuckoff:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but what does it mean that there is no longer an education and text book tax credit for 2017, but BC still has the tuition credit?

I.e. what should I expect to get back if I take a $950 course from a designated institution in 2018? Only 15% provincial tuition credit?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is there somewhere that I can set up a self directed RESP online? Tangerine doesn't seem to offer one, and I can't just set one up with my online banking at scotiabank. They direct me to head in to the local branch to set one up. If at all possible, I would like to avoid the sales pitches that inevitably come any time I speak to a real person at a bank.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Is there somewhere that I can set up a self directed RESP online? Tangerine doesn't seem to offer one, and I can't just set one up with my online banking at scotiabank. They direct me to head in to the local branch to set one up. If at all possible, I would like to avoid the sales pitches that inevitably come any time I speak to a real person at a bank.

Questrade allows you to set up your own self-directed RESP, though I haven't done it myself.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How does the CESG work in self directed RESPs with regular contributions? I have my RESPs set up to be set and forget with some funds in target markets (ie divest canada forever)

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

How does the CESG work in self directed RESPs with regular contributions? I have my RESPs set up to be set and forget with some funds in target markets (ie divest canada forever)

Here's Questrade's guide, so you don't have to give them your contact info to get the URL:
http://media.questrade.com/downloads/manuals/Make_The_Most_Of_Your_Childs_RESP.pdf

But it looks like they apply for the CESG on your behalf.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They do, I opened up a couple last year. It took a few weeks to get the grant money, someone earlier in the thread said they do it in monthly batches which matches my experience.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
hosed up putting a Stop order on a stock and instead put a Limit. Goodbye 100 shares I’ll never get back.

I hope my broker enjoys those fees.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have some sort of dyslexia with VUN and XEF because I somehow gently caress up buying or selling at least once a year "smith:

e. goddammit it's starting to happen with " and : :smith:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Square Peg posted:

Here's Questrade's guide, so you don't have to give them your contact info to get the URL:
http://media.questrade.com/downloads/manuals/Make_The_Most_Of_Your_Childs_RESP.pdf

But it looks like they apply for the CESG on your behalf.

This is law. It's always the institution's responsibility to apply for the CESG, but you have to make sure the account is properly set up in the first place.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm trying to figure out the returns on my bond ETFs (VAB) in my portfolio. Questrade shows only the market pricing, so I'm seeing a negative return. I have to factor in dividends to actually figure out the net return. So far, so good?

The thing is, even after doing that calculation, I'm nowhere near the ~2.3% I should be seeing since I opened my account... Here's how I'm doing it:

[(sum of all VAB purchases) + (sum of all VAB dividends) - (current VAB market value)]/(sum of all VAB purchases)

This is obviously vastly simplified and doesn't factor in timing or doesn't immediately reinvest the returns as Vanguard's returns will do. But even then, this gives me a whopping 0.8% return... What am I missing?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What's (current value + dividends)/(sum purchase price)?

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Jan posted:

I'm trying to figure out the returns on my bond ETFs (VAB) in my portfolio. Questrade shows only the market pricing, so I'm seeing a negative return. I have to factor in dividends to actually figure out the net return. So far, so good?

The thing is, even after doing that calculation, I'm nowhere near the ~2.3% I should be seeing since I opened my account... Here's how I'm doing it:

[(sum of all VAB purchases) + (sum of all VAB dividends) - (current VAB market value)]/(sum of all VAB purchases)

This is obviously vastly simplified and doesn't factor in timing or doesn't immediately reinvest the returns as Vanguard's returns will do. But even then, this gives me a whopping 0.8% return... What am I missing?

As an exercise, I tried to work out what the real returns of VAB were over the past year if I started with ca. $100K:

On Jan 16, 2017 I could buy 3935 shares at $25.41/share - $99,988 (IIRC Questerade has no fee to buy ETFs)
On Jan 16, 2018, the value is $25.10/share - $98,768.50 (-1.2%)

Now, with a 12-mo trailing yield of 2.38%, over the year I should have made $2,780 on those shares (2.38% of $99,988 - an estimation, but given no big swings in value it's close enough). So added to the closing value, we have $101,548 (+1.56%).

Subtract the management fees (0.13% - $130) and we have $101,418 (+1.4%).

That is still a gain of 1.4% on the year ($101,418 - $99,988 / $99,988), which doesn't line up with your 0.8%, but is lower than your expected 2.3%. Likely difference is due to loss of dividends depending on when and how much VAB you bought throughout the year. So if you had $50K in Jan, and bought $50K in July, your dividends would have been half in the first half, giving $2,085 in dividends, and giving a 0.87% return. Which matches your number nicely.

The nice thing is that the dividends are cash in your hand, while the losses are on paper, and aren't realized until you sell. If you sell them next year at $27.6/share, you'll have $8,606 over two years, you'll have a return of 8.6%, or an annualized return of 4.3%. And that's before considering dividends.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I'm going to open a Questrade account and start following that Canadian Couch Potato ETF guide. I see that Questrade has a refer a friend mutual bonus if someone wants to refer me and get free money. Send me a PM or whatever.

Nevermind

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 17, 2018

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Shofixti posted:

I'm going to open a Questrade account and start following that Canadian Couch Potato ETF guide. I see that Questrade has a refer a friend mutual bonus if someone wants to refer me and get free money. Send me a PM or whatever.

I don't use Questrade but be careful with this promotion. To qualify, you have to make 1 commissionable trade. Since ETF purchases are free, buying ETFs doesn't qualify.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Shofixti posted:

email me for the referral thing jm20@cogeco.ca <-- not the referral email

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Kal Torak posted:

I don't use Questrade but be careful with this promotion. To qualify, you have to make 1 commissionable trade. Since ETF purchases are free, buying ETFs doesn't qualify.

Goes a bit into what commissionable trade means its old but should still apply.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Anyone get the letter that they are ending the Amazon.ca card as of March 15 and shutting down all accounts? Any other good cards out there re:US exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Fido MC