Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

It's what the rich juggalos drink

I'm going to allow this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm still wondering what is happening with McCabe.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

paternity suitor posted:

People are anti union and they don't know why. The answer is effective advertising/messaging/propaganda, whatever you want to call it. It has almost no bearing in reality, it's based on fictions and fantasies and anecdotes. But 40 years of brainwashing is hard to fix.

I'm in a union, or technically, a trade association. My job is also one that cannot be shipped overseas. It's optional to pay dues in my union, but everyone (non management) on my campus gets the union benefits, ie, the collective bargaining helps everyone. I've talked to lots of coworkers about whether or not they pay dues, and the ones that don't usually have flimsy spurious arguments. Some anecdote about an uncle who got screwed by his union. Some fantasy about what it would be like without the union. Or simply a thoughtless, "I don't like unions. I just don't like them". It's the kind of response you get these days when you confront a brainwashed conservative about some allegedly deeply held value that doesn't align with reality (or even their real values). The cognitive dissonance of bringing two clashing ideas together makes them frustrated and mad.

They literally cannot name a downside to the union, but they don't like unions, so they just don't like them, I don't want to talk about it, and I'm going to get visibly agitated like a toddler now and storm off in a huff.

I'm from another campus in the same company that is NOT unionized, so I have the actual facts to dispel some misconceptions. No, you wouldn't get that large of a raise in a non-union location. No, raises aren't lower here. No, you wouldn't get that promotion. No, you don't get paid more. However...YES, you would have lost your pension years ago, you would not get OT, your healthcare would be a flaming piece of garbage starting next year, and overall, you would be TOLD what your compensation and benefits are, with no bargaining power. It's shocking. The healthcare in the rest of the company was just GUTTED, but not ours. Ours is still ok. Because we have a union and it's in the agreement. And still, some people don't see the benefit in that.

There are downsides to unions we shouldn't ignore but most people are against "unions" even if they don't understand what they are saying they're against.

when I was 16 and I got a kroger job after school. The union dues took $50 out of my paycheck that was $100 after taxes. leaving me with $50 take home pay. I switched jobs

thats my story

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

... unions being literally illegal and getting murdered by a literal private army owned by rich people, I don't entirely understand why you all can't do it.

When large workers' demonstrations happen in America, there will be fantastic new non-lethal crowd control measures like Raytheon's ADS and it's scaled down Jailers' version to inflict burning pain on crowds of uppity proles.

No pesky blood or bodies to make the news headlines.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

Aladdin Iago is short and has a funny voice.

Othello Iago hates Moors.

Either way you slice it, it's Sessions.

Yeah okay, this.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so we aren't gonna hear anything about the Trump / Mueller meeting yesterday are we

There is a non-zero chance that he/his lawers wussed the gently caress out. After that, smart money's on it being impotent posturing that doesn't actually change anything.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

The result last time was Republicans sweeping back into power in the House and cutting the Democratic majority in the Senate by 2/3. What will happen this time, I wonder?

Democrats will gain control just in time to be wholly blamed for the engineered collapse of the country.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Space Gopher posted:

Aladdin Iago is short and has a funny voice.

Othello Iago hates Moors.

Either way you slice it, it's Sessions.

Just saw this, this is amazing. :golfclap:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/943160025714954241
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/943283054369562624

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hanales posted:

I'm still wondering what is happening with McCabe.
Pretty sure it’s nothing, and the GOP is trying to use him as a distraction

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Petr posted:

Remember when people thought that things mattered because the ACA survived repeal? :lol:

You're the most tedious poster in a thread of tedious posters and I wish you would stop

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flapjack Monty posted:

Democrats will gain control just in time to be wholly blamed for the engineered collapse of the country.

If they do nothing to try and reverse this poo poo (even if they know Trump won't sign any of it), then they'll deserve it. No more decorum for the sake of decorum.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tim Raines IRL posted:

You're the most tedious poster in a thread of tedious posters and I wish you would stop

I wish Congress would stop giving him fuel but we don't get what we want.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hoo boy...

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943504977254903808

Btw follow Reema for the play by play. She’s done a phenomenal job of live tweeting the recount process.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943502100381790208

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943508260325380097

well, uh, things may be getting even more interesting! I think what probably happened is that:

(a) you can't vote for both candidates, so the recount considered a ballot that voted for both candidates as void as to that race. so this ballot was not counterd

(b) the argument is that the intent of the ballot is clear - the voter made a mistake, crossed out the vote for the D, then voted for the R. this is confirmed by the rest of the ballot voting R.

(c) the republican candidate wants that ballot counted, for him, which would make the race tied and require a coin flip to determine who wins

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ballz posted:

Hoo boy...

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943504977254903808

Btw follow Reema for the play by play. She’s done a phenomenal job of live tweeting the recount process.

Hanging chad, doesn't count

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Does anyone really like ACA? It's a drain on our economy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

If they do nothing to try and reverse this poo poo (even if they know Trump won't sign any of it), then they'll deserve it. No more decorum for the sake of decorum.

Pretty much. For that plan to work it takes complicity on the part of the Democrats to just let it happen or get beaten at elections by a party that is trying its hardest to be as unpopular as possible. There's ways to stop it and if they just let it happen they deserve it although the rest of us will pay the price.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

echronorian posted:

Low effort, 1/10

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So the Democratic argument why the vote should not be counted is this, apparently:

(a) there's two recount officials, one D, one R. if they agree on how a ballot is to be counted, it's counted that way.
(b) during the recount, the republican agreed the ballot could not be counted. therefore, both officials agreed that the ballot didn't count, and the count was certified.
(c) it is this specific R recount official who, knowing the results of the election, has decided he made a mistake, and has written a letter saying he thinks it should be counted
(d) but it's too late - he signed off on the ballot, he can't change his mind now.

Both arguments are reasonable. At the time, I think I would agree that was a vote for the Republican. But I also don't think that his observer can sign off on the ballot not counting, then change their mind only after they know the result.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

echronorian posted:

Yes,

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Democrats are raising a similar argument about "it's too late" - any contested ballots must be segregated. The court took a look, the GOP says they found it (clipped with two other voided ballots) the Dems say that's not good enough.

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943513188993249280

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

So the Democratic argument why the vote should not be counted is this, apparently:

(a) there's two recount officials, one D, one R. if they agree on how a ballot is to be counted, it's counted that way.
(b) during the recount, the republican agreed the ballot could not be counted. therefore, both officials agreed that the ballot didn't count, and the count was certified.
(c) it is this specific R recount official who, knowing the results of the election, has decided he made a mistake, and has written a letter saying he thinks it should be counted
(d) but it's too late - he signed off on the ballot, he can't change his mind now.

Both arguments are reasonable. At the time, I think I would agree that was a vote for the Republican. But I also don't think that his observer can sign off on the ballot not counting, then change their mind only after they know the result.

Yeah it sounds like it's pretty clear that was a Republican vote but once something is signed off on you don't get to say "WAIT WE DIDN'T MEAN IT" when it actually really matters. They should have considered this before signing.

Honestly if this goes to a coin flip and we lose I will be way more angry than if they just found two extra Republican votes somehow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

echronorian posted:

Won’t anyone think of the corporations!?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the polling station tell you to go back and get a new ballot if you want to undo a mistake? If the voter didn't follow that procedure that would be an argument in favor of not counting it.

echronorian posted:

I for one love it when the government knocks on my door and hands me a burlap sack containing your tax dollars

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

echronorian posted:

hosed up if true

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

haveblue posted:

Doesn't the polling station tell you to go back and get a new ballot if you want to undo a mistake? If the voter didn't follow that procedure that would be an argument in favor of not counting it.

I for one love it when the government knocks on my door and hands me a burlap sack containing your tax dollars

gently caress the GOP, they already successfully destroyed any argument about considering voter intent when deciding whether a ballot should be counted back in 2000. None of the Al Gore write-ins or hanging or dimpled ballots were counted. Nice to see them on the short end of this stick for once.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

gently caress the GOP, they already successfully destroyed any argument about considering voter intent when deciding whether a ballot should be counted back in 2000. None of the Al Gore write-ins or hanging or dimpled ballots were counted. Nice to see them on the short end of this stick for once.

Unless they pull this out because gently caress consistently.

2000 election should be the trump card for this kind of bullshit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m seeing a lot of media coverage of the tax bill along the lines of “the tax bill will become more popular once regular folks start seeing their taxes going down”. I think this fundamentally misreads the current mood of the nation - people are increasingly seeing how the system is rigged to benefit mega-corporations and the ultra-wealthy, and they know that this bill is a massive giveaway to those groups.

And if the Repubs are dumb enough to push for cutting SS/Medicare right now... well, that definitely won’t end well for them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

I think there's no moral way to argue that the obvious intent of a vote should not count while also opposing all of the Republican efforts to put roadblocks in front of voting. I want, in this very specific case, the court to decline to count the vote on technical grounds and I can justify that to myself by the fact that Dems won the overall vote count overwhelmingly - but I think that ultimately that's the wrong decision. I think we know what that voter wanted, and their intent shouldn't get discarded because the Republican observer hosed up.

On the other hand, it's really important to have the decisions being made before you know the impact of those decisions, you shouldn't get a do-over once you know the result because that makes the process less fair.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

You should probably look up the tax deal Schumer was cooking up with R senators back in 2016.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I think there's no moral way to argue that the obvious intent of a vote should not count while also opposing all of the Republican efforts to put roadblocks in front of voting. I want, in this very specific case, the court to decline to count the vote on technical grounds and I can justify that to myself by the fact that Dems won the overall vote count overwhelmingly - but I think that ultimately that's the wrong decision. I think we know what that voter wanted, and their intent shouldn't get discarded because the Republican observer hosed up.

On the other hand, it's really important to have the decisions being made before you know the impact of those decisions, you shouldn't get a do-over once you know the result because that makes the process less fair.

Yeah if the intent of the voter was argued at the time I think I would be begrudgingly ok with it (although bitter since the Republicans made it clear they don't actual care about voter intent). Now it feels like they are scrambling to find any vote they can with any justification; rules should be followed if they are already set.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

I’m seeing a lot of media coverage of the tax bill along the lines of “the tax bill will become more popular once regular folks start seeing their taxes going down”. I think this fundamentally misreads the current mood of the nation - people are increasingly seeing how the system is rigged to benefit mega-corporations and the ultra-wealthy, and they know that this bill is a massive giveaway to those groups.

And if the Repubs are dumb enough to push for cutting SS/Medicare right now... well, that definitely won’t end well for them.

Yeah, I love how Paul Ryan's brilliant plan to get away with SS/Medicare cuts was to...not seek reelection. Did he forget that there are 230+ other Republicans that maybe don't want every old person in their district pissed off at them?

The AARP was very successful at pushing back last time a Republican administration tried to cut Social Security and Medicare....let's hope they got another fight in them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DaveWoo posted:

Are voters stupid enough to celebrate their 300 dollar tax cut when republicans just gave the Trump kids a billion and change? Quite possibly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the insane thing about the tax bill is that if you look at the breakdown by income, even the super rich aren't seeing any real break. only the ultra, ultra rich. and a lot of ultra rich people have a lot of their money filtered through shell companies or offshore accounts, so even a lot of them don't qualify.

there's a bit where some guy - mcconnel? - is talking to a room full of R donors and going 'hey, who's excited for that tax break?' and only one guy raises his hand.

the republicans managed to gently caress up 'more money for us, gently caress you.'

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Christ, yes the ACA has had a huge part of it wrecked. But it's still way better than if the GOP had accomplished the full repeal that they wanted. The people kicked off their insurance would have been doubled. As it is the majority of people who are going to lose it are choosing too drop it. Yes that'll end up pricing out a ton of other people as well but the damage is still smaller.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

echronorian posted:

Zero effort, buddy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

I don't even think you need to go that far. The tax cut is, in dollar amounts, less than the payroll tax cuts in the Obama stimulus bill. Something around 90% of people didn't notice that one. Nobody is gonna notice a $4 variation in their paycheck and figure out it's because of the tax bill.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

evilweasel posted:

I both think it should have been counted at the time (even though that sucks for me personally) and also think that once you've signed off on the drat thing and certified the entire election results as official you can't exactly go back on that.

So it's one of those situations where no matter what it's going to be weird for all involved.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

I think the procedural grounds are a really good hill to die on - because now what is the deadline for Democrats to talk to their recounters so they can issue similar letters? The Republicans saw they lost, did a whip-round and wrote a letter about a borderline ballot.

The Democrat recounters saw they won, and didn't have to write any letters. Reopening the process would be pretty unfair at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

That's what matters to me. Regardless of everything else, both observers signed off on it. Undoing that would be inappropriate at this point.

• Locked thread