Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1stGear posted:

IIRC, Great Pyrenees is one of those dog breeds that desperately needs and wants to work, so I hope you have a farm.

Isn't their idea of 'work' just 'living with sheep' though. They don't even herd the sheep, they just hang out with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Isn't their idea of 'work' just 'living with sheep' though. They don't even herd the sheep, they just hang out with them.

They just chill until a coyote (or wolf, or bear, or eagle, or mountain lion, or snow leopard, or cheetah, or jackal, etc.) shows up looking for an easy meal. They're a great way to prevent losses and eliminate the need for hunting/trapping/poisoning important predators and they're used all over the world to reduce human-wildlife conflict. They are good and important puffballs and research articles about them have the best pictures :3:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kwyndig posted:

I knew about ferrets but hedgehogs? Are the little guys that dangerous to local agriculture?

Even though ferrets have been domestic pets for a couple thousand years, Cali still considers them wild animals and a rabies/environmental risk. A domestic ferret let loose usually dies within a day or two so they can't cause much harm to the environment. It's a law that's like 80 years old and also that state sucks.

Anyway have a cute.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's a working great pyrenees. She is very concerned about the state of the world.

Also sometimes she tumbles.

i'm not sorry these all to be on this page too

she is the cutest little puffball :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

1stGear posted:

IIRC, Great Pyrenees is one of those dog breeds that desperately needs and wants to work, so I hope you have a farm.

Check their other posts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tony Phillips posted:

Check their other posts.

Infinite Jellyfish owns a farm but I don't see any indication that Neddy Seagoon (the one i was quoting) does.

VVV No problem, friend!

1stGear has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

1stGear posted:

Infinite Jellyfish owns a farm but I don't see any indication that Neddy Seagoon (the one i was quoting) does.

Yeah my bad. Sorry bout that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1stGear posted:

I do not.

But if I need one to be able to have that puppy, I'm not above considering a change in career :stwoon:.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

https://designyoutrust.com/2015/03/siberian-cats-waiting-for-spring/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

1stGear posted:

everything i have read and experienced says this is wrong. they are guardian dogs, but are perfectly happy guarding the family, and only need half an hour or an hour of exercise. they do better with a yard, and are great being put to use at what they were bred for, but its not like a corgi where they go nuts.

they will bark quite a bit tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/943203050310602752

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
xmas muffins assemble!

bonus double tummy time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/samoyedsbot/status/943343922268508161

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

im hiding

you cant see me

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

RFC2324 posted:

everything i have read and experienced says this is wrong. they are guardian dogs, but are perfectly happy guarding the family, and only need half an hour or an hour of exercise. they do better with a yard, and are great being put to use at what they were bred for, but its not like a corgi where they go nuts.

they will bark quite a bit tho.

:allears:

:member: the lady who absolutely had to have one of those, in a small house with kiddos.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/Pluimer/status/942869488575246336

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

sneakyfrog posted:

:member: the lady who absolutely had to have one of those, in a small house with kiddos.

That was a Maremma sheepdog. While similar looking to a Pyrenees, it was a Maremma she wanted/got.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

That was a Maremma sheepdog. While similar looking to a Pyrenees, it was a Maremma she wanted/got.

oh thats right i knew it was one of those huge working dogs thanks friend.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

Where can I read this story?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, the famous cock pussy bitch rear end statue.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Ah yes, the famous cock pussy bitch rear end statue.

lol what did u ever do to deserve a statue

(figured I’d do that before everyone else did)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where can I read this story?

It's ok, she and her husband are both very tall!

There are show pyrs that would be happy to be a throw rug but working animals really want to be outside with their animal buds. They are super independent and don't really care about what you have to say in the matter. A couple other PI lgd owners have had their dogs try to chew through a wall because they needed to go potty outside and no one was there to let them out and clearly that was the shortest route.

Anyway, I wrote a paper on lgd use in conservation missions and here are some cute puppies from the literature I read.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something especially adorable about how much working dogs love working.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks friend always forgot that one got gassed and was looking for it in the goldmine for some reason.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Night10194 posted:

Working dogs always remind me of this comic.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

Working dogs always remind me of this comic.

All very important jobs :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh wow that thread is incredible.

"I'm 6'0 I can totally control a 100lb+ dog!!"

"Obviously my kids will stay in their pens and never interact with this dog for 5+ years!"

:laffo:

:ohdear:

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

I'm choosing to interpret this acronym as standing for "Large Good Dogs." I know I'm probably wrong but I don't especially need anyone to correct me.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Dec 20, 2017

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh wow that thread is incredible.

"I'm 6'0 I can totally control a 100lb+ dog!!"

"Obviously my kids will stay in their pens and never interact with this dog for 5+ years!"

:laffo:

:ohdear:

I'm sad it doesn't include the followup where we found her posting on another site about getting the puppy some (large) rabbits to guard because it was obsessively guarding a tree from birds and other plants only like 9 weeks after she got him.

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm choosing to interpret this adjective as standing for "Large Good Dogs." I know I'm probably wrong but I don't especially need anyone to correct me.

Livestock guardian dog, but I like your version better :3:

Maremmas are real great if you have actual livestock for them to guard.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

^^^ lol efb
There was sort of a follow up thread, where someone found a thread on another forum about a woman who had to rehome a Maremma that sounded suspiciously like the original OP.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

^^^ lol efb
There was sort of a follow up thread, where someone found a thread on another forum about a woman who had to rehome a Maremma that sounded suspiciously like the original OP.

same username iirc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

^^^ lol efb

A happy ending, I think! No one died!

I pray that the maremma got rehomed with a home with lots of sheep to guard, poor pup.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Where's Doggo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I see at least two!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I have a friend who has two rescue Chows, and despite looking like the biggest, fluffiest teddy bears in the world, they are so suspicious of outsiders that they border on downright unfriendly. One of them was abused as a puppy, so I can kinda understand the reticence, but the other has no excuse.

Nothing is worse than giant floofy dogs that will not allow their floof to be scroofed. It breaks my heart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Night10194 posted:

Sled dogs are particularly adorable lunatics.

I would totally watch Ocean's 5.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trabant posted:

Sled dogs are particularly adorable lunatics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw5M-4Fo2wE

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alter Ego posted:

I have a friend who has two rescue Chows, and despite looking like the biggest, fluffiest teddy bears in the world, they are so suspicious of outsiders that they border on downright unfriendly. One of them was abused as a puppy, so I can kinda understand the reticence, but the other has no excuse.

Nothing is worse than giant floofy dogs that will not allow their floof to be scroofed. It breaks my heart.
That's actually fairly normal for Chows. They were originally bred as guard dogs so they can be really standoffish with strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they are so awesome if you are one of their people though :3: