Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

wdarkk posted:

Guns on the back encouraging more kiting for you? I know that happens to me.

That might be it. I also think part of it is I get super thirsty with radar. See a DD smoke up at 12km and I charge in like "I'm going to kill this dumbass" but because I broke formation I went from not a great target from a perfect target and it turns out I'm the dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

Guns on the back encouraging more kiting for you? I know that happens to me.

Now try using the Roon, where you can only effectively shoot at things while running away because some idiot installed the guns backwards.

The Chung Mu was doing a pretty good job of shooting me (in the Harekaze) right as he exploded, too.

Special mention to your Friedrich for somehow also dying to the Hindenburg in exactly the same spot a few minutes later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

davejk posted:

Now try using the Roon, where you can only effectively shoot at things while running away because some idiot installed the guns backwards.

I've got almost 100 battles in it, it's not bad.

Also really hoping CW happens tonight.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roon is really, really good.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Roon is solid, I just find the gun layout annoying to deal with. It's a lot more effort to position it well and be effective than the cruisers with the guns concentrated at the fore (and Des Moines was my first T10, so that's what I'm used to).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Getin the hell clan battle division.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Roon is probably the best T9 cruiser. If one of its turrets at the back was at the front, it would easily be the best T9 cruiser.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Just sail backwards *imagine the meme of the guy tapping his forehead is here*

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So what's the counterplay to AP bombs? I just got bombed for 3/4 of my HP in a Hindenburg, I played it right, I wasn't driving in a straight line.

What the gently caress is WG thinking...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

So what's the counterplay to AP bombs? I just got bombed for 3/4 of my HP in a Hindenburg, I played it right, I wasn't driving in a straight line.

There isnt counterplay to AP bombs!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

orange juche posted:

There isnt counterplay to AP bombs!

Yeah I got hit by 50k worth of damage in my Bismarck from an Essex who dropped across me (I would have died from full health if he got me lengthwise). Even he apologized, since it is all citadel damage and hence can't be repaired.

Basically AP bombs are devastating/hard to counter for some ships, or very ineffective/useless on others. Wargaming!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Year of the CV, ladies and gentlemen.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I knew buying a Kidd would pay off. Its fun as hell to play and deleting planes is cool

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Wicaeed posted:

Your were in a Hindy. The counter play is to go full AA build and not have DFAA on cooldown (according to some people). Of course, when hasnt wargaming been hamfisted about their implementations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The BB population seems to be in far better control than when I left the game. Its usually only 3-4 instead of always 5+

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Wicaeed posted:

I don't know if this test version of the Graf is still around, but this video will make you weep for AP bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqDXgXue3Q

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

lol this game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Now we just have to wait for the removal of full penetrations with BB AP on DDs coming next year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The campaign is a two-parter, same as the Graf Spee campaign last year - North Cape nets you the Duke of York first, then the New Year Raid needs DOY to complete and gets you an Arctic Disney's Frozen camo for Scharnhorst, plus at stages a New Mexico, Ernst Gaede, Queen Elizabeth, La Galissionniere, and Fushun, all with the Frozen camo. Plus the badge collection stretches across, and gets a Frozen camo for DOY.

e: Also the next season of ranked is coming, back to tier 8, which will not be dominated in any way by the AP bomb Enterprise

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Wait, so they gave DoY a heal again? I did think no heal was too much of a nerf but I'm surprised they made such a gimmick ship and then removed it.

Also the Missouri is being removed in ~2 months, so buy it before then if you want it.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 19, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Stevefin posted:

I don't know if this test version of the Graf is still around, but this video will make you weep for AP bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqDXgXue3Q

I was expecting a link to the clip where he just sat there and clapped while his bombers auto-dropped a 75% HP BB to nothing in like ten seconds.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Are any BB lines much better than others? I was advised to go up the UK line, and as I watch guides and stuff for the Orion and higher I am seeing people suggest I just use HE ammo, which feels rather gimmicky. Does that change as you go up? Or is that just the UK line thing? Maybe I should go Germany or US instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

New Mexico was part of last year's string of additional ships that got a camo, so surprised they went with it again. None of the others were repeated, so it just seems odd.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Wait, so they gave DoY a heal again? I did think no heal was too much of a nerf but I'm surprised they made such a gimmick ship and then removed it.

quote:

Be careful what you wish for.

Duke of York was shaping up to be one of the most interesting premiums released in 2017 through her development cycle. Her earlier iterations did away with a Repair Party consumable entirely and instead buffed Duke of York with cruiser-consumables, gunnery and fire mechanics. Yet, the peanut gallery clamored that this wasn't good enough -- battleships must have the ability to heal! And so, we got the heal at the last minute and lost the following:
She lost access to Defensive Fire. Yes, imagine her AA firepower with Defensive Fire. It was glorious.
She lost access to the cruiser version of Damage Control Party with their faster reset timer.
Fires used to only burn for 30s. They now burn for 60s. With Damage Control Modification 2 and Basics of Survivability, a single fire did about the same damage to Duke of York as a 406mm penetration AP shell.
She had 2.05 sigma instead of 1.80 sigma.
Her AP shells had improved autobounce angles. Combined with her improved accuracy, she could easily land 10k hits or larger at ranges of 14km+ against battleships with her AP shells. Yeah! A Royal Navy battleship with specialized AP performance! Can you imagine being encouraged to fire AP?
Her reload time was 25.0s, not this paltry tier VI reload.
Her rudder shift time was 15.0s, not 17.5s.
All of this was sacrificed to give her access to 2/3s of a standard, British Repair Party consumable.

Now I can't speak for the devs. I don't know if they perceived the older version of Duke of York to be overperforming and some of these changes may have been implemented regardless. However, given my experiences (and those of the other CCs I've spoken to), this seems very unlikely. It's more likely Wargaming listened to feedback regarding the Repair Party and then over nerfed her to compensate. We lost what may have been a truly interesting ship for a half-baked clone.

Mouse's Summary:
This is a tier VI ship pretending to be a tier VII ship.

Oh :(

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Eltoasto posted:

Are any BB lines much better than others? I was advised to go up the UK line, and as I watch guides and stuff for the Orion and higher I am seeing people suggest I just use HE ammo, which feels rather gimmicky. Does that change as you go up? Or is that just the UK line thing? Maybe I should go Germany or US instead.

There are only a few exceptions to the simplistic "shoot HE at everything" flavour of British BBs, which gets old fast and teaches you bad habits that won't work in anything else.

German BBs are tanky, and therefore quite forgiving, but the guns are woefully inaccurate and very frustrating to use. The Bismarck at T8 is a fun brawler with a secondary build, but the T9 was a huge (literally) disappointment.

The US line are solid all-rounders, and I'd recommend doing them first, but Colorado may be annoying due to how sluggish it is.

The Japanese tree has some fantastic ships in it (especially Amagi at T8), but they're generally less forgiving of mistakes.

French BBs are the next tree they're adding to the game. If Dunkerque is anything to go by they'll have armour made of oily rags and have 3km of dispersion.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

New Mexico was part of last year's string of additional ships that got a camo, so surprised they went with it again. None of the others were repeated, so it just seems odd.

Santa's Christmas Convoys gave us Leander, Farragut, Budyonny, Bayern, and Fuso with type 12 camo, not New Mexico. This is 5 new ships.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 19, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

davejk posted:

The US line are solid all-rounders, and I'd recommend doing them first, but Colorado may be annoying due to how sluggish it is.

Awesome thanks, I'll work my way up the US line. I somehow got the Texas last time I was playing so I guess I can use that for side captain training along the way. The impression I got from streamers is that dumb BB's picking the wrong targets really wreck a team, so that's why I am focusing there. Also it's fun to delete a cruiser.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I have 800k+ free exp, but I think id rather wait for the Musashi because I hate myself

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I really don't see the point of Musashi outside of being a collectors item. It's a Yamato with a worse reload time and abysmal AA, and you're making those trades so you can occasionally get into T7 games where you'll overpen everything you shoot at.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

davejk posted:

I really don't see the point of Musashi outside of being a collectors item. It's a Yamato with a worse reload time and abysmal AA, and you're making those trades so you can occasionally get into T7 games where you'll overpen everything you shoot at.

Don't forget 1.8 sigma so you'll not be able to snipe like the Yamato can.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
1.8 sigma is standard value for BB so decent enough, especially with IJN dispersion.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
So, which boxes are we supposed to buy for good stuff? I must spend.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Last year medium was the one to go for.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
So I bought some boxes. Flags, flags, doubloons, camos, this is kinda-

:italy:

Well I guess that's pretty OK, but what else-

:vince:

Here is my box trip report:

LOW TIER BITCH BOX:

Many small batches of Christmas camos, 300 doubloons, lots of regular flags. There's some low-tier premiums in it.

VERDICT: If you're a new player and you don't want to spend much, these will yield some good stuff to get you started.

MID-TIER HOW MUCH MONEY AM I SPENDING ON THIS GAME BOX

x10s of elite flags ( think ), x15s of Christmas camos, x50s of regular flags, 30 day premiums, 1k-ish doubloons.

This box right here has the mid-to-high tier premiums. From these boxes, I got:

Blys
Lenin
Julio
Arizona
Okhotnik

VERDICT: :perfect:

HIGH-TIER WE WON'T NEED BANK ACCOUNTS WHERE WE'RE GOING BOX

You can roll 2k doubloons on these, x30 camos, or- x15 elite flags. I only bought a few of these ( I'm not absolutely insane ), and wasn't tempted to buy more.

VERDICT: :sad:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I grabbed the 5x medium box pack and got 3x 1000 gold, an Okhotnik, and a Perth, which I'm happy with. A Cesare would be nice, or any tier 8 premium since I have none, but not planning to buy any more at least until after xmas, if at all.

Listed rewards for the different boxes https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/we-are-many/

e: Don't forget to claim your 2 free small ones by joining Santa's Legion via the link

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Last time I went full :shepspends: on the medium boxes and was not disappointed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat I loving hate playing Strait as a battleship.

NTRabbit posted:

e: Don't forget to claim your 2 free small ones by joining Santa's Legion via the link

Except of course if you're in the EU in which case you get jack poo poo, apparently.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
"Container contents are "drawn" upon the container's opening, not upon purchase."

That is good, prevents having to buy small amounts to hope for a better roll or whatever.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Mutsu, huh? I haven't heard anything about this ship. Looks like my first game is at-tier, let's just

:bisonyes:

:dadjoke:

The guns are accurate and hurt when they land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Mutsu is powered by the dreams of Japanese schoolchildren (it was built partly by popular subscription)