Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lollin' at anybody that thinks being poor isn't a monumental pain in the rear end and a nonstop anxiety attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Rhymenoserous posted:

You do realize that the welfare queen myth is exactly that... a myth right? They do technically exist but it's some stupid low percentage of people on welfare (Like 1% of the total people who use welfare). Most people that get foodstamps/other forms of social welfare tend to go off of it as soon as they can because it's a super lovely way to live. Most permanent beneficiaries of social welfare are the disabled who can't work for whatever reason.

EDIT: looks like a lot of people beat me to it.

Even better then that, there was literally one 'welfare queen', and she was more like a mid-level mob boss then a welfare scammer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Taylor

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

This game is good at reminding you that if we just taxed the really rich people and businesses more, we could do so much other stuff!

:madmax:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I made the target without even touching the military, except to increase R&D!

Really just a lot of tax rich people and some moderate changes to business stuff, nothing outlandish. Redistributin' all over the place.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

mlmp08 posted:

I made the target without even touching the military, except to increase R&D!

Really just a lot of tax rich people and some moderate changes to business stuff, nothing outlandish. Redistributin' all over the place.

Me too, turns out the secret to having a functional solvent government is taxing rich people and corporations bigly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Third World Reggin posted:

this is a thing that is so rare it isn't a thing

To reiterate: this is a racist dog whistle stereotype and if you believe the impoverished don't deserve anything because they're too lazy to help themselves you're 100% wrong and operating on false assumptions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Its all the poors fault" says the monumentally rich man.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Eat poo poo, Uber:

quote:

Uber Loses EU Court Fight as Judges Take Aim at Gig Economy

Uber Technologies Inc. will be regulated in European Union countries as a transport company after the bloc’s top court rejected its claim to be a digital service provider, a decision that could increase legal risks for other gig-economy companies including Airbnb.

While the EU Court of Justice’s ruling covered UberPop -- which used drivers without taxi licenses and has already been shuttered in many countries due to the legal issues -- it’s a real blow as the first definitive finding that Uber must be regulated by transport authorities.

The decision clarifies for the first time that connecting people via an app to non-professional drivers forms an integral part of a transport service. It rejects Uber’s view that such services are purely digital and could fuel further scrutiny of other gig-economy firms.
Paris regulators are already clamping down on Airbnb, treating the home-rental service more like a hotel, and British food-delivery start-up Deliveroo is in the spotlight for its treatment of workers.

In the EU judges’ view, “the most important part of Uber’s business is the supply of transport -- connecting passengers to drivers by their smartphones is secondary,”
said Rachel Farr, senior employment lawyer at law firm Taylor Wessing. “Without transport services, the business wouldn’t exist.”

Uber has argued that it’s a technology platform connecting passengers with independent drivers, not a transportation company subject to the same rules as taxi services. The case has been closely watched by the technology industry because of its precedent for regulating the gig economy, where freelancers make money by plying everything from spare rooms to fast-food deliveries via apps on smartphones and PCs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A microcosm of the reality we live in:

Rosie O'Donnell publicly offered $2 million in cash for senators to vote against the tax bill.

People are saying she should be in jail for attempting to bribe public officials.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Good. Their argument that they are not a taxi service is extremely disingenuous.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

boop the snoot posted:

A microcosm of the reality we live in:

Rosie O'Donnell publicly offered $2 million in cash for senators to vote against the tax bill.

People are saying she should be in jail for attempting to bribe public officials.

uhh that does sound like a really stupid thing for her to have done. I mean she's a comedian and all but she's also a fairly politically active celebrity and crazy person so it's probably a wash. Still not a great idea.

Do you read about these issues or just go with your gut? Offering money for someone to act a certain way within an official capacity is pretty textbook bribery. Whether its a joke or not is up to interpretation but generally speaking it's pretty illegal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

uhh that does sound like a really stupid thing for her to have done. I mean she's a comedian and all but she's also a fairly politically active celebrity and crazy person so it's probably a wash. Still not a great idea.

Do you read about these issues or just go with your gut? Offering money for someone to act a certain way within an official capacity is pretty textbook bribery. Whether its a joke or not is up to interpretation but generally speaking it's pretty illegal.

Why would you be mad at Rosie O’Donnell for offering pennies compared to what lobbyists offer to swing a vote? Because she’s a celebrity and didn’t do it with a wink wink?

E: I guess she should have said it was a campaign donation and then it would’ve been alright.

vvv yep you posted just as I edited it in

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What she should have said was she'll give $2m towards their campaign then it would have just been free speech.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

boop the snoot posted:

Why would you be mad at Rosie O’Donnell for offering pennies compared to what lobbyists offer to swing a vote? Because she’s a celebrity and didn’t do it with a wink wink?

You will be dismayed to know that $2 million is actually WAY more than the vast majority of campaign donations that easily sway senators and congresscritters to pass whatever hosed up legislation a company wants. A lot of these guys are happy to do the bidding of corporations for measly 4 or 5 figure donations. It's downright cheap to buy our representatives.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pentagon: Check out this inertia, ladies and gentlemen! https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/pentagon-transgender-people-can-join-military-based-their-preferred-sex-n831466

tl;dr: basically zero change to transgender policy that was started before Trump became president.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Godholio posted:

[citation needed]

List of per capita health spending by country. Note US is roughly double that of places like UK or Australia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

Taking 2015, US spent about $9,451 per person on health care (public and private spending, so taxes, individual monthly premiums for health insurance, corporate matching for people who get health insurance through their employers, and out of pocket expenses). All numbers in PPP USD, so a dollar spent in another country is the same as a dollar spent here.

Australia spent $4,420, The UK spent $4,003. Taking Australia, since it's a big continent so it roughly matches the US' geographical situation, that means you can get universal health care for 46.7% of what we currently spend (all in) on Health Care in the US, assuming no economies of scale that might exist for roughly the same geographic area but over 13 times the population (US 325 mil people, Australia 24.7 mil).

So, how much of US health care spending is already paid for by taxes (federal, state, and local?)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/237043/us-health-care-spending-distribution/

Medicare + Medicaid + other government programs (public employee health insurance, VA, Indian health system, etc) for 2015 is 48.4%. That's more than our goal of 46.7%.

Looks like the numbers have shifted since last I checked. No tax increases needed anymore to pay for UHC. Unless you believe that the US is in some way special and can't get the same prices (in PPP dollars) that other first world countries get for similar products and services.

E: I was trying to find a site I remember from last time I looked at this that actually had the breakdown of expenditures at the federal, state, and local levels, but I can't find it on my phone. There was some (small) double counting on it of counting both federal transfers to states as a federal expenditure, and then actually the entirety of the state spending as well (including the federal subsidy). That might tweak the numbers slightly, but again, can't find the website.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 20, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

boop the snoot posted:

E: I guess she should have said it was a campaign donation and then it would’ve been alright.

vvv yep you posted just as I edited it in

Yeah pretty much. You managed to identify why what she did was a bad idea. The argument that there is no need to dissuade this kind of behavior because there are worse offenders is loving stupid as poo poo. Namaste.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

my kinda ape posted:

You will be dismayed to know that $2 million is actually WAY more than the vast majority of campaign donations that easily sway senators and congresscritters to pass whatever hosed up legislation a company wants. A lot of these guys are happy to do the bidding of corporations for measly 4 or 5 figure donations. It's downright cheap to buy our representatives.

The Koch brothers spent almost a billion in 2016.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I have never, ever seen a generic ballot so lopsided.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/943529499966271488

My original thought is that +18 is an outlier, but not by much.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/943530754881015808

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It won't last

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Good. The “gig economy” is such bullshit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Smiling Jack posted:

It won't last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVXdZ3qLW0
:thunk:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

It won't last

I'm sure Diaper Donnie can find another tantrum to throw to keep it going.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

It won't last

It actually might!

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/943533917042118658

Everything is terrible though, so people will probably forget :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Don’t worry Democrats will gently caress it up somehow.

e: which is why most of this momentum should be focused on stacking local and state elections with young eager progressives.

build dat bench :getin:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pelosi will get the House and first thing she'll bring up is gun control

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah I’m not even gonna vote in 2018. What’s the point?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ideally? Joining something like DSA and hijacking the Democrat party from the inside to force those fuckers to do something besides playing at Republican-lite 'at least we're not as bad as those guys!' corporate-whoring.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh yeah, Virginia recount news, Dem Shelley Simonds leads 11608 to 11607. This seat would put the House of Delegates at 50-50

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Democrats are going to get blamed ruining the economy with the tax bill (that just passed lol)

RIP in piss america

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

boop the snoot posted:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Oh yeah, Virginia recount news, Dem Shelley Simonds leads 11608 to 11607. This seat would put the House of Delegates at 50-50

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

P.sure Cole was joking (I hope).

Real talk, join your local DSA or some other progressive group (or whatever). It feels amazing to actually go out and do something aside from :justpost:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I was just trying to match the pessimism of “democrats will gently caress it up.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Pelosi will get the House and first thing she'll bring up is gun control

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-htmlstory.html

:getin:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My bad at not picking up on the sarcasm, I've just unironically run into that viewpoint twice recently and I get really annoyed with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Third World Reggin posted:

this is a thing that is so rare it isn't a thing

Yeah.

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair to Active Duty: Most of the E-0 - E-4's make dirt, and Food Stamps/WIC really does help.

Me. I had too. Didn’t make enough. Didn’t have lavish stuff and fancy cars, cost of living was just higher as a junior enlisted with a family.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

Lollin' at anybody that thinks being poor isn't a monumental pain in the rear end and a nonstop anxiety attack.

This. My car is broken and I don’t have money to fix it. I’m hosed if it completely breaks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

Every time you open your mouth you top your previous retardation.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good. The “gig economy” is such bullshit.

No but you see, the real issue is that Uber doesn't sell their drivers hats and beer coozies

-A libertarian dipshit that tutors math because no one wants to hire his as an economist. I'll get him in my feed occasionally accusing Dan Rather of starting a race war or some retarded poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soulex posted:

This. My car is broken and I don’t have money to fix it. I’m hosed if it completely breaks.

I nearly had a mental break when I totaled my car at the end of October. Thankfully my mother has finally managed to be Not Poverty-Level Poor© for the first time ever and so I got the old van she'd recently upgraded from given to me.

I'm still a month behind on rent because of it. Transport down to pick it up and driving it back put me a month behind rent. I'm hoping to break back even after the holidays, but that's up in the air

Edit: also the tax bill passed and is headed to Trump's desk so I guess this gets to be my new fuckin' normal again. Yay.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread