Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Camping.. Intense! posted:

I played this game flat out until it was shut down, so I considered trying this again and wow it has aged poorly graphics wise but the mechanics are still good.

Am i missing something or is Nordenwatch scenario not on this?

They rotate scenarios in and out so they don't get too stale.

Also apparently they're going to be adding the Gunbad PvE dungeon here before the end of the year, so yeehaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

iminers posted:

If your talking about the mountain with the lava all around yes. And yea it's fun to punt the other team into the lava.

As for the chat channels just keep it nice and clean and the GM,s really won't gently caress with ya.

Also try to not post in the forums cause,again, for some reason the dev's are pretty anal about shitposters and anything that they think is a snarky comment about their programming skills.

If that's the case, then maybe I'll give it a shot. Is there a guild or channel I should join for :gooncamp: shenanigans?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'd love to be a part of goon shenanigans since all the pubbie guilds I've been in have been SUPER SERIOUS about loving something. One of them was a hardcore dwarf roleplaying guild and they required you to actually meet up for drills and formation practice and poo poo that you would absolutely never ever use in PvP or anything.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

John Dyne posted:

I'd love to be a part of goon shenanigans since all the pubbie guilds I've been in have been SUPER SERIOUS about loving something. One of them was a hardcore dwarf roleplaying guild and they required you to actually meet up for drills and formation practice and poo poo that you would absolutely never ever use in PvP or anything.

That sounds funny as poo poo to watch. I need to reinstall.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Were they able to get public events working yet?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're working on them still, a lot of the scripting is broke as gently caress. Last time I played they were mostly working with some workarounds for broken poo poo.
I keep getting email updates so presumably theyre still working on it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The ones for Empire/Chaos are the ones that are working the best right now, and a lot of the quests I've run into through that pairing both public and not seem to be working, if not as perfectly as they did in live.

Sadly the greenskin ones are pretty broken, especially the one where you get catapulted onto the bridge in the starting area. :saddowns: Not even a teleport workaround to put you on top of the bridge. Also a LOT of the quest text is hosed up, where you see the text for the previous stage of the quest rather than the current.

It's still playable, at least.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
From what I have seen all of the Empire/Chaos PQs mostly work. The only thing about them that doesn't is that it gives everyone a Gold contribution score whether they did the whole PQ themselves or only killed a single monster in the first stage, so the loot bag you get is 100% random.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I still play this game a lot. Still my favorite MMO. Some things have changed a lot but the biggest thing is you always get a bag after getting a zone and when killing the Lord always stand right on top of him in the middle of the room. No matter if your tank, healer, melee dps or ranged dps. They changed how threat worked and it is total poo poo now. The easiest way to finish is now just pile on him, don't run even if you pull aggro, and if you die, you die, somebody will rez you.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Yates posted:

I still play this game a lot. Still my favorite MMO. Some things have changed a lot but the biggest thing is you always get a bag after getting a zone and when killing the Lord always stand right on top of him in the middle of the room. No matter if your tank, healer, melee dps or ranged dps. They changed how threat worked and it is total poo poo now. The easiest way to finish is now just pile on him, don't run even if you pull aggro, and if you die, you die, somebody will rez you.

Seems we have enough ppl to start a guild i think.

What side is everyone on.

I got a 16 WH on order and a 21 Sorc on destro.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'd be down for a guild, I have a 16 Knight and an 11 Choppa and chosen.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I have too many loving characters on each side, almost one of each class. But I'd be down for a guild, too.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
I'd come along if there's a Goon guild! I don't have much time but I miss WAR and I always played Destro.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WAR was good and fun but I feel like if I play it today, I'll realize I'll have been living a lie this whole time.

All I ever wanted was to play T1 scenarios as the various classes. They were all fun except marauder. The double-targeting as healers, the guard mechanics, it was all wonderful. Past that, it all kinda went to poo poo. I imagine Return of Reckoning is the same way?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This game was only good T1-T2

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
T1 is still pretty good. Destro usually has a large numbers advantage in all tiers though, so finding a fun battle can be difficult.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
The devs at RoR are going to release the dungeon Gunbad at the end of the month.

Can anyone answer the following questions, as i didnt get to play retail and really know nothing about it.

What level is it?

Where is it located at?

Is it an actual instanced dungeon where you and your group can do or is it like an open dungeon like early UO dungeons?
(open dungeon meaning anyone can go in at anytime etc)

Thanks.

Nm, found the info for gunbad.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 10, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jackard posted:

This game was only good T1-T2

They should have rereleased it but locked everyone to T1 forever.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just got in and the login server goes down. :argh: The music just reminded me of meticulously adjusting my UI so everything was :perfect:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I picked this back up after agonizing whether to play this or Utgard DAOC. I've got a Swordmaster named Masterblader and a Blackguard named Darkstar, lets be friends

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

boho posted:

I've got a Swordmaster named Masterblader

Well that is just the best MMO name I've ever seen.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Alright, which one of you called me a bad goon in a scenario about an hour ago?

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Did the dev/host guys for this ever stop being super spergy shitbag assholes all the time? I'd like to try this out as I missed the original, but gently caress dealing with their drama poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember this game (the actual real release) was fun. But it was also bad. I guess it was both?

I guess it was as a case of a good game marred by bad post-release management. I can only imagine what a relaunch server for this looks like, but I've never really ventured into them for any MMO.

I really wish we could get another Faction PvP based MMO someday. Elder Scrolls has worn pretty stale on that front but for a while it felt just like good old Warhams did in (even though PvP was not the game's main focus).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember this game (the actual real release) was fun. But it was also bad. I guess it was both?
First they launched with not enough servers, then released wayyyyy more than needed. Also T3-T4 was a mess

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

I haven’t played this since the summer but T4 did seem kinda fun at the times when people weren’t xrealming

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
It was also killed by not having a scaling system like GW2 has for it open world content. Like if you didn't level with the wave of people you where absolutely hosed trying to complete public quests in a decent way which is a shame cause a lot of them were really fun and interesting.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess it was as a case of a good game marred by bad post-release management. I can only imagine what a relaunch server for this looks like, but I've never really ventured into them for any MMO.

I really wish we could get another Faction PvP based MMO someday. Elder Scrolls has worn pretty stale on that front but for a while it felt just like good old Warhams did in (even though PvP was not the game's main focus).

Marc Jacobs has a totally not DAoC2 I can’t remember the actual name of. Norse/Gaelic/Arthurian again. City State Entertainment is his dev company, just can’t recall the actual name of the game. Totally drawing a blank. It’s in alpha or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Camelot Unchained. It's in perpetual "We're really close to beta!" mode.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess it was as a case of a good game marred by bad post-release management.

Mark Jacobs was and remains a professional grifter, like an early template of post-Kickstarter Chris Roberts. He got 12-year old me more hyped for Age of Reckoning than any game up to that point, so much that I eschewed all other gifts that year just for the Collector's Edition with the sick Warhammer mini of Grumlok with Gazbag on his shoulder and the cool in-game cosmetics; unfortunately I was too young to realize he'd been promising the moon.

Since then, he's gone onto be Lead Designer of (drum roll)... Camelot Unchained! The poster above me has already attested to how that's going.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

This game had the worst second month population drop I've ever seen. I liked it but I guess it just didn't have the staying power to retain an audience. I'm not sure which, if any, of the problems drove people away, or if it was just a case of people getting their fill of the flavor of the month.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

This game had the worst second month population drop I've ever seen. I liked it but I guess it just didn't have the staying power to retain an audience. I'm not sure which, if any, of the problems drove people away, or if it was just a case of people getting their fill of the flavor of the month.

I think it was the game was a PvP game were 90% of the population avoided PvP to grind gear faster in the lakes, combined with crap PvE and tons of bugs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The buggy part can not be emphasized enough. There was an absolutely insane amount of bugs. 3-stage PQ breaks down midway through the final stage? Deal with it you lost 30 minutes. A good chunk of PQs (and normal quests) were like 50/50 on whether or not they were gonna work.

Plus the game lacked a whole whole lot of polish. When you shot your pistol the missile moved about the same as your run speed and tracks the enemy so it jitters around a whole whole lot even if the damage had already applied. Everything looked like poo poo, including a lot of the animations even though it really shouldn't have.

I mean there isn't a single reason WAR failed but it was a rushed buggy mess and they really didn't think through a lot of their decisions. There is a LOT of very good, very valid reasons.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Also an mmo that's best at a low level is pretty bad. I know people twinked in wow but it was nothing similar to how it was on Warhammer Online.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah and their whole system was dumb. How best to waste a LOT of resources: have 4 separate tiers with their own maps and completely different balance and when a player progresses past one of the tiers, they are unable to participate in everything in the preceding tier, so those maps and that balance is ignored by that character forever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should have dispensed with character levels completely given that the whole focus of the game was PvP. But just uttering that idea in the design room of any large developer would probably lead to heart attacks.

Character levels are a design crutch.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

They should have dispensed with character levels completely given that the whole focus of the game was PvP. But just uttering that idea in the design room of any large developer would probably lead to heart attacks. Character levels are a design crutch.
Yea, then people could hang out in the best zones/scenarios. Should have had horizontal progression through equipment/skill unlocks

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Anyone still playing? It's still pretty decent although solo queuing scenarios can be hit or miss.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Sad thing was the pve could have been loving amazing as well and it wouldn’t have taken a ton of work from the form they had it in to get it working really well. And the gear/character design was cool as gently caress. This is probably the mmo i was most sad to see die out and fail.