Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:randpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Timby posted:

Belichick has banned Brady's quack of a fitness guru from the sidelines, revoked his access to the team plane, and barred him from treating any other player than Brady at Gillette Stadium.

Drug tests all around!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait 'til Brady's beard leaves him and we get a tell all book.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't there some Australian player who used to jam his finger up other players' butts as a deliberate playing strategy? I coulda sworn I read about that dude in the SAS Wiki (RIP).

John Hopoate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hopoate#Controversy

quote:

...before causing international headlines after a regular season game against the North Queensland Cowboys where Hopoate had been inserting his fingers into the backsides of several players, allegedly in an attempt to unsettle and upset his opposition. After a long NRL judiciary case Hopoate was suspended for twelve weeks and then mutually agreed to part ways with the Tigers club.

During a 2001 clash with the North Queensland Cowboys, Hopoate, in an attempt to unsettle several of his opponents, inserted his finger in three players' anuses, the first occurring during the seventh minute of play. At the conclusion of the match the matter was immediately referred to the rugby league judiciary where a case was put forward from both sides on 28 March.

Hopoate claimed in front of the panel of judges that he was simply attempting to give all three players wedgie with his fingers, denying he had done anything wrong and that he was "a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there".

The three victims in the case, Cowboys players Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman all disagreed with the reasoning put forward by Hopoate and his team. Jones stated, "It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum", while Bowman stated that he was "disgusted" and "couldn't believe it."

It's really sad that my favourite sport is only known in the US for dog loving, a guy sticking his finger up other players' butts during games and a guy that pissed in his own mouth. I guess we can add an alleged rapist to that group.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

I uhhhhhhh...was happier not knowing that.

But I was aware of this: :nws: :nws: :nws: it's a dude pissing in his own mouth https://deadspin.com/rugby-team-cuts-player-for-photo-of-him-pissing-into-hi-1597604524

The article is one of the funniest thing I've ever read.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/monaghan-faces-sack-over-mad-monday-dog-photo-disgrace-20101104-17fx1.html?autostart=1

quote:

Bizarrely, Monaghan said he was ''playing a prank on an absent teammate''. The incident occurred that weekend during a party for Canberra players and friends, and the labrador involved is understood to belong to a teammate of Monaghan's.

quote:

It is something he will live with for the rest of his life. It's a big cross to bear for doing something stupid out on the drink.

quote:

There are no words of explanation that can be offered because none can be appropriate.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I didn’t even realize Henry got hurt on Saturday, was it from a bad hit?i guess that explains why I kept seeing old rear end Derrick Johnson limping after fellow AARP member Antonio Gates

Bennie Logan blew him up on a cheap shot pretty early into the game and he didn't do a whole lot after that. So Gates got a lot more snaps than he'd had the month or so.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

weird Asian candy posted:

3rd year in a row for the Bears!

how the heck did jordan howard not get a pro bowl nod last year

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

how the heck did jordan howard not get a pro bowl nod last year

He did? He was just injured if I remember correctly.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

He did? He was just injured if I remember correctly.

he was an alternate and replaced David Johnson. I guess the argument is wasn't voted in as a starter? I dunno, I heard it on the radio :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have the Packers considered firing Mike McCarthy too?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have the Packers considered firing Mike McCarthy too?

For all the repeated "Fire Dom Capers" posts I think this is what really needs to happen.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
ahaha Mike Sherman just got a job as a CFL head coach

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, if Marc Trestman can succeed...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Alex Smith was robbed.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i have an idea

what if we just got rid of reviewing the plays

i don't think there would be any more or less upset people or missed calls, and the games would be a lot faster and better to watch

Part of me doesnt mind this idea. But Id hate to see amazing sideline plays called out of bounds and not able to be credited.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

For all the repeated "Fire Dom Capers" posts I think this is what really needs to happen.

Mike is fine. Well, mostly. He's probably on the mild level for how hot his seat is, Dom should be on the face of the sun at the moment.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Part of me doesnt mind this idea. But Id hate to see amazing sideline plays called out of bounds and not able to be credited.

Okay what if there's an exception for situations where the ref can say "okay i literally did not see what happened lol can i watch it again"

They get 2 a game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Mike is fine. Well, mostly. He's probably on the mild level for how hot his seat is, Dom should be on the face of the sun at the moment.

To be fair I've personally thought he should have been immediately fired after that playoff loss to the Seahawks a couple of years ago.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I don't think McCarthy is very good but I don't trust the FO to go find a McVay or anything

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

nerve posted:

I don't think McCarthy is very good but I don't trust the FO to go find a McVay or anything

Packers would end up with Jeff Fisher or some stupid poo poo.

I'd like to see a change at hc and dc but I'll settle for just dc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCarthy probably has a job as long as Ted Thompson does.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been told I should post this here.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Stats/status/942804226803105798

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Okay what if there's an exception for situations where the ref can say "okay i literally did not see what happened lol can i watch it again"

They get 2 a game

Maybe a review system would be sped up. For instance youd have a ref not on the field. And that ref gets every play. Hes treated like a field ref but hes not there. And he talks directly to the other refs through a mic. So they keep the game moving and that ref deals with the controversial calls through video so the field refs dont need to bother with that and can focus on moving the game along.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
N: Barstool is going to try and sue the NFL for selling t-shirts with the slogan "Sundays are for the *insert team name here*", based on the fact that they are seemingly ripping off their "Saturdays are for the boys" thing.

V: Not only does Barstool not actually have an active trademark on the phrase yet (it's still like halfway through the process), but also the NFL isn't violating any trademark law. The NFL is going to win.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Barstool is also run by garbage chads

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reminder that the head guy at barstool cried because the patriots lost week one lmao

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That’s a good cherry you selected

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kawalimus posted:

Maybe a review system would be sped up. For instance youd have a ref not on the field. And that ref gets every play. Hes treated like a field ref but hes not there. And he talks directly to the other refs through a mic. So they keep the game moving and that ref deals with the controversial calls through video so the field refs dont need to bother with that and can focus on moving the game along.
I've been advocating for this for years but the NFL is apparently too loving stupid to think it up on their own. Or they will have a bullshit excuse like "the fans and players dont want someone they cannot see making calls in their game". Its absurd that the commentators calling the game get to see the play in highdef slomo, call in a retired official to get their opinion, and send the audience to commercial before the on-field ref even gets to see the drat replay on a loving ipad that some shlub runs out to him on the field. There is no reason not to have a ref watching even the drat telecast who can radio in to the guys on the field.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

N: Barstool is going to try and sue the NFL for selling t-shirts with the slogan "Sundays are for the *insert team name here*", based on the fact that they are seemingly ripping off their "Saturdays are for the boys" thing.

V: Not only does Barstool not actually have an active trademark on the phrase yet (it's still like halfway through the process), but also the NFL isn't violating any trademark law. The NFL is going to win.

I loving hate Barstool aside from PFT, Big Cat, and Pat McAfee. The rest can get hosed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been advocating for this for years but the NFL is apparently too loving stupid to think it up on their own. Or they will have a bullshit excuse like "the fans and players dont want someone they cannot see making calls in their game". Its absurd that the commentators calling the game get to see the play in highdef slomo, call in a retired official to get their opinion, and send the audience to commercial before the on-field ref even gets to see the drat replay on a loving ipad that some shlub runs out to him on the field. There is no reason not to have a ref watching even the drat telecast who can radio in to the guys on the field.

Isn't that literally what happens when someone in loving New York decides that a touchdown in Pittsburgh doesn't count?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It already happens like this. The ref looking at the tablet is just for show

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It already happens like this. The ref looking at the tablet is just for show

It's to make money by advertising the Microsoft Surface ;)

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair I've personally thought he should have been immediately fired after that playoff loss to the Seahawks a couple of years ago.

I thought that was absurd at the time, but honestly i've soured on McCarthy a lot since then, between sticking up for Capers when most of their defensive draft picks never develop (seriously, Casey Heyward became an all-pro-caliber CB like right after he left the Pack) and that whole "the Quarterback room is exactly where it needs to be" thing. He's a shittier, much less creative Andy Reid who had the good fortune to ride Rodgers to a SB title and squandered tons of their chances after that.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Diqnol posted:

That’s a good cherry you selected

outside of Marvin Jones vs Detroit on Thanksgiving, the results don’t really change. these are just the most notable names he’s matched up against.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How rare is it to have two pro bowl RBs on the same team (saints)?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mastershakeman posted:

How rare is it to have two pro bowl RBs on the same team (saints)?

I don't think it's happened since Led Zeppelin was in the current hits section

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I don't think it's happened since Led Zeppelin was in the current hits section

1998 had two TB RBs. Which was the year pdiddy did the Godzilla song with Jimmy page and Tom morello.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm coming to the realization that the loving Rams are going to have a real shot at winning a Super Bowl just 2 years after loving their fans over in St Louis and moving to a place that does not give 2 shits about them. And that pisses me off.

On the other hand, it would be funny to see the Rams do to Jeff Fisher what the Warriors did to Mark Jackson.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What the goddamn hell
https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/943564874876989440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MacheteZombie posted:

1998 had two TB RBs. Which was the year pdiddy did the Godzilla song with Jimmy page and Tom morello.

That was 1997 and 2000, but Alstott was picked as a fullback not as a runningback. It's been 42 years since the St. Louis Cardinals had Jim Otis and Terry Metcalf in 1975.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/262538/saints-could-be-first-team-in-42-years-with-two-pro-bowl-rbs

• Locked thread