Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Arkhan will get access to some VC units through unique buildings chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Arkhan will get access to some VC units through unique buildings chains.

They mentioned a particular unnamed unit that would be of specific annoyance to Settra. Wonder what that could be?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Safety Factor posted:

Hey, when a mummy shows up leading a skeleton army and demands his favorite doodad back... you'd better give it back. :v:

Settra: RETURN THE SLAB.
Araby: WHAT'S YER OFFER?!
*Settra waves hands*

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing Settraaaaaaaaaaaaa~!
THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I think the official reason was something like all the horrible things that the Empire fights on a routine basis don't give a poo poo about pikes and they need the halberds to crack open their armor, hide, shell, or what have you.

It's a number of reasons. One is that there's a lot of big gribbly things out there that can seriously gently caress up a dense pike formation. And yes, halberds might just work better against some full-plate-wearing Chaos Warrior or Black Orc who can feasibly bodycheck a pikewall and expect it to end in a lot of broken pikes.

Another big one, though, is the terrain in the Empire. Outside of the southern parts, most of the Empire is dominated by forests and hilly areas, with lots of broken ground that just isn't very suitable for pike formations. The result is that imperial infantry prefers more maneuverable and flexible formations equipped with swords, spears or halberds. Some of the southern electors do sometimes field limited amounts of pikemen, though often via just hiring tilean mercs for the job.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dandywalken posted:

They mentioned a particular unnamed unit that would be of specific annoyance to Settra. Wonder what that could be?

Nagash?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

No clue!

In addition to having no upkeep or recruitment costs, you have to progress down research trees to unlock new armies/lords and heroes. There are 6 "dynasties" which have tech trees, unit themes, and unique lords. Once you research far enough into a dynasty, you can field a new army commanded by either a basic lord or you can pay some kind of currency that I missed to get the historical unique lord, who is presumably in-theme. As far as I can tell, that means you'll be able to field 7 (maybe 6 if your first starting army is included in that) armies total.

TKs will also have RoRs, which are coming later in the campaign for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm guessing that fighting Nagash and putting him back down for a while is the finale to the special Tomb Kings quest objectives in the Vortex campaign. Not hard to imagine Arkhan betraying his master.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Funky Valentine posted:

Settra: RETURN THE SLAB.
Araby: WHAT'S YER OFFER?!
*Settra waves hands*

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing Settraaaaaaaaaaaaa~!
THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE

Stupid Dawi! You make me look bad!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like that total war warhammer is letting them go crazy with designs and I can not wait to see rome III

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Not hard to imagine Arkhan betraying his master.

Actully this is super hard. Arkhan is the one loyal to Nagash above all else. Even when his master was dead he never stopped being loyal to him. Likely the Arkhan end game would be aiding Nagash.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actully this is super hard. Arkhan is the one loyal to Nagash above all else. Even when his master was dead he never stopped being loyal to him. Likely the Arkhan end game would be aiding Nagash.

Yeah I'll be disappointed if there isn't a branch there for Arkhan. It won't be 'gently caress this, DLC ruined,' but he really does have distinct goals from the others.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone have a good guide to how the multiplayer meta shaped up? I stopped playing a few weeks after foundation but I'm reinstalling now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is a game where the likes of Azhag and Vlad are running around. I don't expect Arkhan to have a different campaign.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I had a single HE stack take on two skaven intervention stacks last night in a single battle. The kill counts for some of my units was utterly absurd. Overall I had somewhere close to like 4k kills. I think a phoenix guard unit had like 450. It was a pretty brutal battle though that was kind of close at times, they had a poo poo ton of artillery and goddamn skaven ranged units are irritating as gently caress. Sort of understandable though it was my standard stack comp so I didn't have any cavalry.

Also, I have one major complaint about this game's diplomacy system: I'm playing as Tyrion. I've made it a point to not confederate another HE faction unless I have a good reason to do so. The AI has done a great job being an rear end in a top hat to my enemies and also doing the incredibly annoying work of chasing away pirate armies that run away immediately when approached and then go back to doing exactly what they were doing before once they leave.

My one complaint is that the AI has a tendency to snap up cities I want and afaik there is no way to get those cities short of confederating them or declaring war and just taking it. I have like 2-3 incomplete provinces because of this and it bugs me.
Early on in the game Saphery snapped up the Shrine of Asuryan while I was sieging the province capital and Yvresse managed to beat me to the Shrine of Kaine, effectively denying me a waystone site early on. A little bit later the shrine of pleasure came in and took the shrine but while I was still a turn away with a full stack Cothique came in and took it. In the middle game Ellyrion snapped up a couple minor DE regions as I was conquering provinces across the sea, and the most annoying instance of it was a chaos intervention stack randomly razing some city in the NE part of the island and Yvresse snapped it up as I was murdering the stack responsible for the razing.

I'd really really like to be able to request regions from the AI when this happens.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

This is a game where the likes of Azhag and Vlad are running around. I don't expect Arkhan to have a different campaign.

He wouldn't need to have a different campaign, since collecting the books works just fine either way, just ideally a different ending to the same campaign.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

popewiles posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 - Stupid Dawi! You make me look bad!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Azhag was still alive when Karl Franz took the throne. And Vlad is a vampire, who have a bit of a habit of coming back from getting killed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ice Fist posted:

Also, I have one major complaint about this game's diplomacy system: I'm playing as Tyrion. I've made it a point to not confederate another HE faction unless I have a good reason to do so. The AI has done a great job being an rear end in a top hat to my enemies and also doing the incredibly annoying work of chasing away pirate armies that run away immediately when approached and then go back to doing exactly what they were doing before once they leave.

You stumbled on the secret optimal strategy as High Elf: Ensure the survival of as many separate factions that you can trade with because they make an absolutely retarded amount of trade income. It's in line with the theme of high elfs, who basically are just supposed to be world police.

Matter of fact, conquering and confederating as High Elf is really hard comparatively so really High Elfs are just the least fun race. Either do nothing and have an easy time or play the game and have unfun problems.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ravenfood posted:

TKs will also have RoRs, which are coming later in the campaign for them.

In addition to Legions of Legend too, which are a similar campaign only thing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

jokes posted:

You stumbled on the secret optimal strategy as High Elf: Ensure the survival of as many separate factions that you can trade with because they make an absolutely retarded amount of trade income. It's in line with the theme of high elfs, who basically are just supposed to be world police.

Matter of fact, conquering and confederating as High Elf is really hard.

I found confederating sort of easy actually.

In one of the early examples I mentioned, Saphery snapped up the Shrine island city while I was busy with the province capital. I was mad so I actually spent an absurd amount of early influence getting their opinion of me up so I could confederate them. This didn't actually work and in retrospect - since I'm now late in the game and am influence starved because I didn't realize nobles had a "get influence" mission until real late - I wish I had spent that influence on literally anything else.

But once I had 4 stacks and sent 3 of them over to mess up the DEs, they confederated like dominoes. I was able to confederate the ones I wanted and left some key ones alone.

In any case I now have 7(?) stacks I think and I'm making 16k a turn. Money has been no obstacle this game.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Dark and high elves do on a small basis - mostly adventurers and corsairs raiding TK lands for plunder and occasionally causing a TK army to land in Naggarond or Ulthuan.

Wood elves interacting with Tomb Kings is virtually unheard of, and mostly comes from bumping into each other while one is already abroad on another errand.

The Dark Elves are actually responsible for Nagash creating necromancy, though not in any grand or planned way. After usurping the throne of Khemri, he tortured a captured group of DE raiders until they taught him their magic, which he then mixed with the Mortuary cult's to create necromancy. I think this is when he wrote his fabled Books but I could be wrong.

Stages of Nagash - note the Dark Elf head on a stick in the first one.

I'm not sure what the right order is for these next ones, because he has been 'killed' many times and completely vaporized and reformed at least once. It would make rough sense that he gets progressively more visibly decayed but you never really know with Nagash.

It should be noted that the Skaven did not unite against him purely out of fear, but also because Nagash used warpstone extensively and built his citadel on top of one of the largest deposits in the world. By the time he re-formed, many centuries after his Skaven-engineered assassination, the ratmen had mined it almost completely out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

drat thats some bad art

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Then he came back and became a Giant Lich somehow.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
nagash: the man who heard there is a skeleton inside of all of us, and decided it must be freed

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
dang i wouldnt climb on top of that wearing just sandals

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Soup du Journey posted:

dang i wouldnt climb on top of that wearing just sandals

his fashion sense has never been his strong suit

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
The Nagash books are somewhat entertaining, if only for the descriptions of power-drained Nagash acting like a crack fiend, literally squabbling over warpstone dust with a pack of scavenger ratlings.

The ancient Egyptian Nekeharan kingdoms getting fleshed out is pretty neat too. Only downside is where the author wholesale ripped off The Mummy series in parts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Is the TK recruitment gimmick for real? Because that sounds almost exactly like how Necrons worked in dawn of War.

Basically Necrons were the only race with pretty much zero cost units. The catch was you needed buildings to increase the unit cap, and their recruitment time was really slow which required upgrades to speed up. I guess it was too represent that they weren't being built but rather awoken. So theyd have a slow start, but you could more or less spam them so long as you are cranking out power generators.

Not sure how well it would translate to TW's format.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Magni posted:

most of the Empire is dominated by forests and hilly areas, with lots of broken ground that just isn't very suitable for pike formations.

Much unlike places such as Switzerland, home of the pike block and renowned for its wide open fields, or Bavaria or Austria or even the Czech Republic, also known for their grassy steppe.

The Empire isn't a dumb pastiche and its background totally makes sense if you read the books, y'all

Pikes are not included for very reasonable reasons, not because pike and shot would be lame and OP in tabletop game from 1980

No siree, it is all completely reasonable. There were no decades-long conflicts in hilly areas defined by pike and shot formations. Not one of those has ever happened. Warhammer makes sense. yep.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 20, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

Is the TK recruitment gimmick for real? Because that sounds almost exactly like how Necrons worked in dawn of War.

Basically Necrons were the only race with pretty much zero cost units. The catch was you needed buildings to increase the unit cap, and their recruitment time was really slow which required upgrades to speed up. I guess it was too represent that they weren't being built but rather awoken. So theyd have a slow start, but you could more or less spam them so long as you are cranking out power generators.

Not sure how well it would translate to TW's format.

What jumps out at me is that this system will drive TK expansion because of the opportunity costs. Want more of a given unit? Build more of their relevant structure. Out of building slots or want your building slots for other things? Go conquer some more territory to get more of those buildings.

I could see the TK economy being a very delicate balancing act as a result, constantly weighing raising unit caps versus building anything else, and weighing which units you need more of. Particularly if advanced units require other unit buildings, to keep you from spamming heirotitan factories.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Third World Reggin posted:

the worst part about tomb kings is when they take too many wounds and just teleport away

it says something about the appeal of TK that even stubborn-as-gently caress games workshop eventually realized they should just drop the pretense and literally make the Necrons "Tomb Kings, but in space"
And they're much better for it!

e; oh i do think they lost flayed ones in the transition, that kind of sucks

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 20, 2017

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Much unlike places such as Switzerland, home of the pike block and renowned for its wide open fields, or Bavaria or Austria or even the Czech Republic, also known for their grassy steppe.

The Empire isn't a dumb pastiche and its background totally makes sense if you read the books, y'all

Pikes are not included for very reasonable reasons, not because pike and shot would be lame and OP in tabletop game from 1980

No siree, it is all completely reasonable. There were no decades-long conflicts in hilly areas defined by pike and shot formations. Not one of those has ever happened. Warhammer makes sense. yep.

I hear warhams used to have pikes but you know what really really likes to break off plastic and lead models? long thin rods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuligin posted:

it says something about the appeal of TK that even stubborn-as-gently caress games workshop eventually realized they should just drop the pretense and literally make the Necrons "Tomb Kings, but in space"
And they're much better for it!

Yet, nevertheless, Tomb Kings got dropped in Age of Sigmar, and their legacy rules has them fighting alongside vampires.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

Flayed Ones are definitely still around. There's even a whole dynasty of Necrons that are infected with the curse. They were covered in one of Forge World's Imperial Armor books.

New Necrons are great though. Trazyn is one of the best characters they've come up with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I could see the TK economy being a very delicate balancing act as a result, constantly weighing raising unit caps versus building anything else, and weighing which units you need more of. Particularly if advanced units require other unit buildings, to keep you from spamming heirotitan factories.

What I like is that they might have stumbled on a way to get relatively decently balanced armies out of players, too. If I conquer a new province, I could easily see choosing to build a barracks that gives me 8 basic infantry instead of one Heirotitan or whatever, especially as I expand and need to have armies. If army composition is heavily influenced by caps instead of cost, then suddenly its a lot harder to roll around with the TK equivalent of a full stack of dragons or whatever.

Depending on how it works in practice, I think I could really like this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

What I like is that they might have stumbled on a way to get relatively decently balanced armies out of players, too. If I conquer a new province, I could easily see choosing to build a barracks that gives me 8 basic infantry instead of one Heirotitan or whatever, especially as I expand and need to have armies. If army composition is heavily influenced by caps instead of cost, then suddenly its a lot harder to roll around with the TK equivalent of a full stack of dragons or whatever.

Depending on how it works in practice, I think I could really like this.

This coupled with mod-backported magic item production for the other races would be pretty wild. Hope its feasible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
How would the AI manage it? Part of the problem is the AI doesn't demolish buildings. Seems like you could utterly cripple a TK faction simply by spamming 'damage building' agent ability on their settlements

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Poorly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The idea of using any type of formation when there are people who can cast chain lighting or fireball is dumb as gently caress.