Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's always been a weird thing in the setting. Chaos seems totally obsessed with humans in particular as soon as it gets in contact with them. It seems to go harder for humans than any other species in trying to get them on its side and worrying about what they think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Night10194 posted:

That's always been a weird thing in the setting. Chaos seems totally obsessed with humans in particular as soon as it gets in contact with them. It seems to go harder for humans than any other species in trying to get them on its side and worrying about what they think of it.

I think this is something to do with the fact that humans are one of the races more easily swayed to chaos, for reasons.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

I think that's just a reflection of Fantasy in general being obsessed with humans. It's still got 40k beat, though, in that there *are* Chaos Dwarfs and Chaos Elves (let's not kid ourselves about the delves), not just chaos humans.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I figured it was mostly because humans live closer to the hellportal, since there aren't any elves or many dwarfs up that way.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Right about when the chariots show up in the trailer they say "We do not serve... we something something" I cant make it out, anyone else with better ears help out?

Playing Assassins Creed Origins right now and seeing this trailer, really feeling this faction.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

Empire, Brets, Welves and Dawi ain't poo poo. None of them even really have a theoretically path to 'rule the world'.

The Empire's path to ruling the world is simply technological advancement. They're the only race that is actively creating new technology instead of sitting on something they invented 5,000 years ago and going "This truly is the pinnacle of warfare"(elves) or forcing anyone who tries something new and fails to shave their head and kill themselves(dwarfs) or living in an Arthurian fantasy world(Bretonnia). The Empire is currently in the pike and shot period when at their foundation they were basically a bunch of barbarian nomads. They've advanced a lot and they're still working on it.

Let's see those lovely Chaos warriors stand up against a trench gun and a bunch of empire dudes in feathered hats with bayonets and breech-loading rifles.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

PlushCow posted:

Right about when the chariots show up in the trailer they say "We do not serve... we something something" I cant make it out, anyone else with better ears help out?

"We do not serve.... We rule!".

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I don't really think the Slann are portrayed as having rule-the-world Mojo. They're a dying race. The few remaining are magnificently powerful, but no more are forthcoming and the spawning pools aren't working right anymore for the saurus and skinks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kanos posted:

Let's see those lovely Chaos warriors stand up against a trench gun and a bunch of empire dudes in feathered hats with bayonets and breech-loading rifles.

It also isn't necessarily that far away, since the Empire has both the only really functional magical university for humans and a robust system of normal universities, engineering colleges, etc.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

wiegieman posted:

Antar, Hawk of the Desert, Leader and Breaker of Armies, Slayer of the Wicked, Desired of Women, Envied of Men, graciously accepts your adoration.

You're forgetting the best of all, King Rhupesh, Adopted Child of the Asp Goddess, Bearded Scion of Serpent and OX He may have the size of a dwarf, a majestic beard, an affinity for stone construction and stubborn, but he is not a dwarf, nope, just a shorter-than-average King, we swear :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kainser posted:

The dwarves definitely has the "if only the lizardmen hadn't collapsed our tunnels thing" but yeah, you are right that the human factions are mostly portrayed as underdogs.

Even before the realignment they were about to get wrecked by the Skaven/Greenskins. They don't populate fast enough to survive their enemy types, the realignment just opened new paths for the relatively young Skaven/Greenskins into their Holds.

High Elves aren't going anywhere fast. They are cursed by their gods, have next to no growth, and are getting outteched by the groups that learned guns can beat centuries old swordsmasters.

Dark Elves don't even have an excuse as to why they can't do poo poo. They just suck.

Like thinking across every single WHFB race, only two have a "if only" thing, and it's the Lizardmen and Skaven. If only the Lizardmen could get around their stupid Great Plan poo poo they'd easily be able to retake most of the world and push Chaos back to the Chaos Gates. If only the Skaven weren't so disloyal they could easily unify and conquer the world. Tomb Kings have a historic "if only" in the form of Nagash, but they have no future off of it. I suppose if you want, you can treat the Elven Civil War as a "if only" for the High Elves.

When people say that about WH40K, they actually mean it. If only the Eldar could reform the Warpway Network, they'd be able to escape/take out all their enemies and end the war. If only the Imperium could rediscover the secrets of the Golden Age, they could built a billion Baneblades and beat back all their enemies with ease. If only the 'Nids real fleets showed up they'd easily win the whole galaxy, etc etc etc. Every race has a thing that could happen at any time and cause them to easily brush aside the others.

Nobody in WHFB has that.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Even before the realignment they were about to get wrecked by the Skaven/Greenskins. They don't populate fast enough to survive their enemy types, the realignment just opened new paths for the relatively young Skaven/Greenskins into their Holds.

High Elves aren't going anywhere fast. They are cursed by their gods, have next to no growth, and are getting outteched by the groups that learned guns can beat centuries old swordsmasters.

Dark Elves don't even have an excuse as to why they can't do poo poo. They just suck.

Like thinking across every single WHFB race, only two have a "if only" thing, and it's the Lizardmen and Skaven. If only the Lizardmen could get around their stupid Great Plan poo poo they'd easily be able to retake most of the world and push Chaos back to the Chaos Gates. If only the Skaven weren't so disloyal they could easily unify and conquer the world. Tomb Kings have a historic "if only" in the form of Nagash, but they have no future off of it. I suppose if you want, you can treat the Elven Civil War as a "if only" for the High Elves.

When people say that about WH40K, they actually mean it. If only the Eldar could reform the Warpway Network, they'd be able to escape/take out all their enemies and end the war. If only the Imperium could rediscover the secrets of the Golden Age, they could built a billion Baneblades and beat back all their enemies with ease. If only the 'Nids real fleets showed up they'd easily win the whole galaxy, etc etc etc. Every race has a thing that could happen at any time and cause them to easily brush aside the others.

Nobody in WHFB has that.

If only the person playing [faction] didn’t get bored, they could conquer the world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If that Phoenix King hadn't shaved a dwarf the High Elves would still rule the world.

He was asking for it though to be fair.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Empire's tech progress is that, I feel. Remember, the tribes that would become the Empire managed to fight off Chaos with iron spears, now they have steel, guns, cannon, and (kinda) tanks. As long as they don't get crushed within the near future, they could pretty quickly be discovering flintlocks, bayonets, and eventually rifling. Given that they're been hanging on pretty well with their 16th/17th century tech, a few improvements would do wonders, especially the bayonet. And once they gain that edge, they're one of the only races poised to be able to snowball.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Finally got round to playing again and it needed an update. Seems to have messed up the no chaos invasion mod for my ME campaign. Anyone know of any alternatives?

I quite like my sandbox game and a chaos invasion just takes the fun out of it. Kind of hope CA make it optional in a future update.

Alternatively how difficult is the game to Mod? The previous mod just changed the invasion turn to 900 something, which does not sound particularly difficult.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Empire's tech progress is that, I feel. Remember, the tribes that would become the Empire managed to fight off Chaos with iron spears, now they have steel, guns, cannon, and (kinda) tanks. As long as they don't get crushed within the near future, they could pretty quickly be discovering flintlocks, bayonets, and eventually rifling. Given that they're been hanging on pretty well with their 16th/17th century tech, a few improvements would do wonders, especially the bayonet. And once they gain that edge, they're one of the only races poised to be able to snowball.

Yeah, until they get nukes and Tzeentch does the whole just as planned thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ravenfood posted:

I feel like if the Empire ever figured out how to make actual pikes and properly fight in formation with them alongside their guns they would already be ruling the world.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

turn off the TV posted:

I feel like if the Empire ever figured out how to make actual pikes and properly fight in formation with them alongside their guns they would already be ruling the world.

The official reason they didn't is 'halberds are loving metal'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actually this is just making me mad we don't have a hypothetical Napoleonics army list for the empire

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

turn off the TV posted:

I feel like formations of ground troops don't work as well in worlds with flying monsters that breathe fire.

And also magical vorticies. It seems like ~realistically~ armies would move more towards guerilla and irregular formations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the official reason was something like all the horrible things that the Empire fights on a routine basis don't give a poo poo about pikes and they need the halberds to crack open their armor, hide, shell, or what have you.

I have no idea if this is how halberds work in reality.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I think the official reason was something like all the horrible things that the Empire fights on a routine basis don't give a poo poo about pikes and they need the halberds to crack open their armor, hide, shell, or what have you.

In game mechanic terms, this means they don't use pikes because Pikes aren't armour piercing, unlike Halberds.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I have a but where my movement is whited out and the end turn is blocks with a message saying to dismiss all events and advisor when there is no advisor or events.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zore posted:

I feel like formations of ground troops don't work as well in worlds with flying monsters that breathe fire.

And also magical vorticies. It seems like ~realistically~ armies would move more towards guerilla and irregular formations.

In ~the lore~ there are Imperial forces that have long rifles used for killing enemy officers and mages.

Safety Factor posted:

Spearmen have a bonus versus large, so you use the guns to shoot infantry or flying targets and pikes to stab everything horse size and above, just like real life!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

When the Empire hits Napoleonic tech, the Chaos Dwarves will be using WWI tech probably. Fits their racial doctrine well, at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dandywalken posted:

When the Empire hits Napoleonic tech, the Chaos Dwarves will be using WWI tech probably. Fits their racial doctrine well, at least.

That would require anyone to pay attention to and remember the Chorfs, which sucks because the Chorfs are really neat in concept.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Seems appropriate. Although shouldn't it be IMPERISHABLE? Someone's gonna get exiled for eternity.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Night10194 posted:

That would require anyone to pay attention to and remember the Chorfs, which sucks because the Chorfs are really neat in concept.

Dwarves are rigid but there's nothing stopping from Chorves from developing machine guns right? Don't Skaven have some sort of gatling gun too?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm glad to see my post about how the rats video had tomb kings easter eggs in it turned out to be so prophetic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Away all Goats posted:

Dwarves are rigid but there's nothing stopping from Chorves from developing machine guns right? Don't Skaven have some sort of gatling gun too?

Nothing at all. The whole thing with the Chorfs is that their Dark God only has a single command: Build.

They're trying to meet deadlines designing and building insane magitek they don't necessarily know the purpose of, because their God told them to innovate and design and create, no matter what it takes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Away all Goats posted:

Don't Skaven have some sort of gatling gun too?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Away all Goats posted:

Specifically referred to as the Ratling Gun, yes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm glad to see my post about how the rats video had tomb kings easter eggs in it turned out to be so prophetic

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

thebardyspoon posted:

"We do not serve.... We rule!".

Appreciated!

For VC's skeleton warriors I liked how they marched with a jerky Harryhausen-gait, I wonder if the Tomb Kings warriors will be similar.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Away all Goats posted:

Uh no.

They have a ratling gun. :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

same

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Dark Elves are still the best because of Malekith the emo.

ONLY THE WEAK CANT SURVIVE THE COLD!

I HATE SNOW!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Perched on ancient Slagg, Mazdamundi stirs: "Friendship with Phllip Billings ended; Khatep now BFF!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eararaldor posted:

Alternatively how difficult is the game to Mod? The previous mod just changed the invasion turn to 900 something, which does not sound particularly difficult.

If I can do it it can't be that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I've currently got SFO, brutal battles, JR's Old World Skill trees, rebanner and formation mods all working together. It is such a glorious clusterfuck because everything is overpowered in its own way depending on the combination of skills, unit, and formation used.