Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Thundarr posted:

Sounds like you're getting close to the level 50 story duties! One bit of advice: if you care at all about watching cutscenes, do the first couple of level 50 dungeons with friends rather than using duty finder. There's a lot of mid-dungeon scenes that DF people will just ignore and rush past (devs wised up and didn't do this again in later dungeons).

I know the Praetorium/Castrum Meridanum format is basically unworkable with the way they have to be run, but man I love those half-cinematic half-dungeons. I got pumped doing them the first time. The music, the atmosphere, it's all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You say unworkable

YoshiP says "actually, we're making it so you have to wait for the cutscenes to end from 4.2 onwards"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If they make cutscenes in CM&P lock people out then main scenario roulette will become even more barren than it is now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’ve got some friends who are gonna run through it with me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they make cutscenes in CM&P lock people out then main scenario roulette will become even more barren than it is now.

They are "increasing the bribe reward for doing it as a result of it taking longer". I did it when I was levelling up AST/SCH/PLD because the queues weren't abysmal for it on those roles but there's not a chance I'm doing it if I'm waiting for cutscenes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

At a certain point they'll have to bite the bullet and redesign them, just turn most of it into MSQ instances and just have Ultima be a trial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wonder if this will result in newbies getting kicked.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They are "increasing the bribe reward for doing it as a result of it taking longer". I did it when I was levelling up AST/SCH/PLD because the queues weren't abysmal for it on those roles but there's not a chance I'm doing it if I'm waiting for cutscenes.

Wait, this isn’t a joke? I stopped doing msdr long ago but I’m absolutely never touching it again if they’re forcing cutscenes lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They'd have to literally put me at the Tomestone cap for the week to sit through Prae or Castrum with all cutscenes.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wonder if this will result in newbies getting kicked.

This is what will happen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You say unworkable

YoshiP says "actually, we're making it so you have to wait for the cutscenes to end from 4.2 onwards"

You're not serious, are you? :stare:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

quote:

"We'll be making adjustments to the main scenario dungeons, so that new players can enjoy them without worrying. It may extend the duration of the dungeon; however, we have increased the rewards as well."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/354195-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-XL-Update-Thread?p=4510434&viewfull=1#post4510434

I mean, I guess they might not be locking you until cutscenes end but "extend the dungeon duration" and "new players shouldn't worry" only leads you to believe that's what they're doing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nooooo. :cry:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Well, Ill probably have every class at 70 by then so I wont need the massive xp bonus anymore.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you're going to run main scenario roulette just deal with the whole 10 minutes at most that the cutscenes add, jeez.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This is legitimately the best change I've heard in ages, people running those dungeons are extremely scummy to newbies, and making the "gotta go fast" crew not want to do the roulette will really help.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll gladly wait for cutscenes if they inject even more exp directly into my eyeballs.

Or at least I would if I even ran MSQ roulette anymore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They’d have to hand out grade 6 crafting material as the daily reward for that to be worth it, drat

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I always enjoy having a newbie in the party, because that means I get more stuff at the end.

To be fair though, FF14 is my chillout game, so waiting an extra 10 minutes in a dungeon won't kill me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

This is legitimately the best change I've heard in ages, people running those dungeons are extremely scummy to newbies, and making the "gotta go fast" crew not want to do the roulette will really help.

MSQ Roulette always seems to attract the worst people. Had two Healers who just sat at the front of the dungeon and did nothing but make snide comments at the party.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gloomy Rube posted:

By making it so the newbies can't do them because no one wants to do it.
It's all assumption but adding cutscene gates is dumb and half-assed.

They should trim some of the fat and then re-balance them into 4 man dungeons and then just put them in the 50/60 roulette.

Delete Livia's first form, make Ultima's first form take half the time it would now and have them so the average run is 30 mintues including cutscenes like ARF is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vargatron posted:

I always enjoy having a newbie in the party, because that means I get more stuff at the end.

To be fair though, FF14 is my chillout game, so waiting an extra 10 minutes in a dungeon won't kill me.

Extra 35 minutes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I probably should have mentioned that I had WHM at 58 and AST at 62. :v:

Anyways I decided to go with WHM in the end. I can never seem to get a good grasp on how to handle my cards and also AST has got some pretty obscene button bloat in comparison to WHM. I still love the thematics of being a space mage but WHM just feels way more comfortable for me.

Speaking of which it was pretty great getting Amdapor Keep for 50/60 Roulette and healing the entire thing purely with regens. Never enough Holy spam. :black101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gloomy Rube posted:

Yeah I agree, the best thing to do is to not incentivize more experienced players from doing a roulette that's required for new players to get to the next expansion!

No seriously this could drive it all back to 30 min queue times for MSQ stuff for newbies and that's way way worse than "Oh I didn't get to see the fights cause I was in cutscene."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Honestly just convert the two MSQ dungeons into a single player duty and call it a day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
GoonDR: only available to goons helping goons do the 2.0 end game dungeons

Yoship, please

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I could see myself being baited into running a longer MSQ roulette with a chunky enough exp/item (matter?) bribe. Especially once I finish off my tanks and healers.

But I do think they should change it to a solo instance. Maybe even one you could bring other people into if you were in a party, but one that could still be completed by yourself with NPC friendos tagging along.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I wonder where people are getting "extra 10 minutes" from. I blitzed my brother's Prae/Castrum on my 70 RDM, I was one shotting entire rooms with contre six while my brother watched cutscenes and that still took us about 30-40 minutes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna suck doing the MSQ 50 stuff with my wife who just hit 50 for the first time. Gonna be a lot of pissbabies while she watches the cutscenes

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They could easily trim out like 2/3 of the first one. There's nothing happening except Cid showing up and the fight with Livia anyways. Most of the bosses are faceless mooks, and you're running around turning off lights and poo poo. Epic.

The second can probably also be trimmed, since there's really only the magitek part and the fight with Nero.

Make a third trial that's just the Gaius, Ultima, Lahabrea boss rush as a finale.

I think three 20-25 minute 8-man dungeons would still have the end of the game feel for the newbies, and make it palatable for high end people just rouletting it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kashuno posted:

It's gonna suck doing the MSQ 50 stuff with my wife who just hit 50 for the first time. Gonna be a lot of pissbabies while she watches the cutscenes

Run it with goons

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't run with gunes but I did get my old WoW guild leader to buddy up with me for the last dungeon, and after I got lost he told me in discord: You know what buddy, catch up if you can, but watch the fights -- we got this.

Lo and behold, he did. We did! It was great.

As for AST vs. WHM I will freely and without shame admit that I went with AST in large part because you get pretty dresses as opposed to increasingly ornate priest robes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did it when it was brand new and Prae took 117 minutes because we thought the magitek was one person only.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the whm 4.0 artifact set is anime-pretty-dress as hell, though

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I timed out my very first Praetorium cause the group couldn't figure out the 2nd Ultima fight and this one black mage got Really Mad about it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I timed out my very first Praetorium cause the group couldn't figure out the 2nd Ultima fight and this one black mage got Really Mad about it.

What's there to figure out, aside from "kill the bits" and "don't stand in the bad"?

Unless maybe there was a time when pubbies were actually in danger of letting Ultima go off at the end.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DizzyBum posted:

Unless maybe there was a time when pubbies were actually in danger of letting Ultima go off at the end.

I saw him die right as the cast bar filled, around patch 2.4ish.

Can't remember if there were just a bunch of deaths or everyone was asleep at the wheel though. Although I am curious how those dungeons went, when you have 8 people in their class quest gear, plus whatever lovely accessories they scrounged up during levelling.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the cape westwind dude will gently caress up a bunch of level 49 players wearing gear they haven't touched since brayflox

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

DizzyBum posted:

If you weren't there for 2.0, you underestimate how bad everything and everyone was back then.

I don't even think you could get a decent weapon (your relic, or maybe darklight poo poo or even a primal weapon if you were lucky) until after you beat it. Plus, some players liked to glamour before the actual glamour system was a thing with disastrous results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Ultima was definitely hit or miss in 2.0. I remember failing the second form in particular several times in PUGs.