Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was Animegataris as good overall as these examples are making it seem? It didn't catch me enough to start it but if the jokes are that good throughout that may have been a mistake.

It's a bit of a slow burn with regard to the big twist. The latest episode is where they went full Meta, but they've been creeping towards it the entire series. The series also calls out and lampoons a lot of anime tropes including calling out the Three Episode Test on Episode 3. The beats regarding the Anime Club are fairly generic, but it sorta comes together as it progresses (part of the slow burn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a show about anime fandom that feels really in touch (and only slightly too-positive), and covers just about every aspect you could imagine with a good sense of humor. the references are also put to good use rather than overrunning the rest of the show. all the meta stuff the past few weeks has been entertaining but i think the first 2/3 has plenty to offer as well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Continue talking about animegataris here, but oh look!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just witnessed the Tower of Batoha rap battle in Mahoujin Guru Guru and I am now sure this belongs on everyone's AOTY list.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ViggyNash posted:

I just witnessed the Tower of Batoha rap battle in Mahoujin Guru Guru and I am now sure this belongs on everyone's AOTY list.

:yeah:!

I really like Anime-Gataris. I don't think it's perfect, but it mostly manages to walk the line between genuine enthusiasm and cloying self-congratulation. I think it's well directed and timed, too. It's hard to know it would be enjoyable if you're not a huge anime dork, but considering this is ADRTW, I think it's a safe bet.

The episode where they go to comiket really didn't work for me, though.

Also, I love the character designs.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
UQ Holder ended in a really weird way. Probably, they would have preferred to have had another cour, but they just sort of seemed to try to introduce and wrap up any major plot concerns in 2-3 episodes, with basically all of the exposition happening in about 10 minutes of the final episode.

I'll probably read the manga, because I like the story and the characters, but the anime's conclusion really does not inspire much confidence.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh no... where is the AotY 2017 thread :ohdear:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Give it about a week, when most of these shows have finished airing ;)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was Animegataris as good overall as these examples are making it seem? It didn't catch me enough to start it but if the jokes are that good throughout that may have been a mistake.

It has a decent sense of comedic timing but even when the jokes aren't landing I've been finding its very modern exploration of fandom to be interesting enough to keep watching.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh no... where is the AotY 2017 thread :ohdear:

Do we really need a thread of "Rakugo anime 2 was good" ;)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/942999334404153344

Alright, fine.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think getting people to watch Guru guru and MMO junkie are two of my better achievements this year.

Edit: Now consider my sorrow as I am unable to watch the final episode because of what is termed a 'holiday'.

EDIT YES ITS WORKING

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 19, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Animegataris is loving amazing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Fangz posted:

I think getting people to watch Guru guru and MMO junkie are two of my better achievements this year.

Edit: Now consider my sorrow as I am unable to watch the final episode because of what is termed a 'holiday'.

EDIT YES ITS WORKING

thanks by the way. Guru Guru was preeeeeeeeeeeeetty darn good. Like gosh.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Namtab posted:

Animegataris is loving amazing.

Dies Irae has a thing for thick Reimu, this might be the anime for me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

Dies Irae has a thing for thick Reimu, this might be the anime for me.

How thick?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana ended pretty well today, though I might have liked perhaps a hair more drama than the finale actually delivered.

Strong show, shame more people don't seem to have picked it up. Really finds its stride around episode 3 or so and wound up growing into a really strong Iyashikei piece. Reminds me a lot of the supernatural episodes of Aria in terms of tone.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Namtab posted:

How thick?

Nowhere near thick enough but I don't think broadcast anime is ready for fat touhous.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Liver Disaster posted:

Nowhere near thick enough but I don't think broadcast anime is ready for fat touhous.
Didn't KyoAni do that Dragonmaid anime that had at least more than one thicc girl?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It was a good start, not touhou thou.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Konohana was decent but I prefer more yuri in my yuri shows :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

God willing one day the girls will take up my entire screen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: This is not the chat thread

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
someone please fax the list of thick anime characters i missed this year to my desk, not a joke thank you

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

someone please fax the list of thick anime characters i missed this year to my desk, not a joke thank you

I would Expect Your Mom to be among them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

May we come in and talk about the word of our Lord and Savior Real Drive?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

This year, not this century

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnoHito posted:

I would Expect Your Mom to be among them.
thick moms are a different, more powerful, category

Wark Say posted:

look ill admit it. this company has fallen on hard times, i'll take whatever thick i can get

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

This year, not this century
Why, you whippersnapper!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So like Inuyashiki has been fine, nothing extraordinary, but idk that it has really been good enough to get a live action adaptation??? But it is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it is moderately popular and they could easily adapt it, so why not?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shokugeki season 3 was a decent slideshow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/943980640428584960

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/943979673243045888

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Who wants to flip a coin to see if this is going to be a bad or good Cutie Honey.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
They need to make Yuasa Cutie Honey after Yuasa Devilman

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

They need to make Yuasa Cutie Honey after Yuasa Devilman

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And then give us Yuasa Violence Jack.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yuasa should make original things

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The letters spell out CHU :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/943892580801974272

• Locked thread