Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The target audience is children. American children to be more specific.

Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KingSlime posted:

The target audience is children. American children to be more specific.

Hope that helps!

Lol JRPGs haven't been for children since the 90s.

Teens at the earliest.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Huh, I got curious and checked. Much to my surprise XB2 is rated teen. It really feels like it's marketed towards slightly younger audiences, the story beats certainly feel that way.

That said, aren't classics like Pokemon and DQ still heavily aimed at kids?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

The only voice acting in XB2 I can't stand is Tora's "MEH MEH MEH" every four loving seconds during combat. It doesn't bother me nearly as much during dialogue, but having to hear that same annoying clip over and over during the all-too-long fights makes me want to hammer a nail into my ear.

And there's no way to turn off the combat vocalizations without turning off all non-cutscene voice. There's an audio setting that sounds like it's just for combat, but it rather frustratingly only applies to the narrator for things like rating your special attack performance.

It's bad enough that I stopped using Tora even though he's still the best tank I have by far.

The other natural tank character has like no where near his hp and constantly eats poo poo in even level boss fights so i kept tora even without ever giving a drat about upgrading poppi.

Tora feels essential unless you are going to overlevel

When rex gets to become a superb healer i put the other natural attack character in nia's place and now im unstoppable since tora soaks so much damage that rex can just heal in like 3 different ways including popping off a lvl3 super

Tried to keep names/spoilers out if this reads weird mea culpa

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drat I really wish that wasn’t the case. I hate the leveling system for Poppi

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have been using the fourth and the character is fine.

You have to build it up a little beforehand but not much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

KingSlime posted:

Huh, I got curious and checked. Much to my surprise XB2 is rated teen. It really feels like it's marketed towards slightly younger audiences, the story beats certainly feel that way.

That said, aren't classics like Pokemon and DQ still heavily aimed at kids?

My guess is that the ESRB is super duper sensitive to anything vaguely sexual and even just that intro cutscene with the rabbit blade would be enough for a T rating by itself.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I havent touched it at all aside from playing each of the tiger tiger levels until i could beat them

I have like 2 upgrades and tora is still a loving rock

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat I really wish that wasn’t the case. I hate the leveling system for Poppi

yeah I get what they were trying to do with all the chips and RAM slots and whatever but it only makes it more convoluted and frustrating to level up what is essentially the best tank choice in a game where your party can eat poo poo incredibly quickly. I don't remember XC1 being as reliant on even Reyn; Dunban was great at drawing aggro and using agility to dodge poo poo, and Riki was tankish, too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its reyn time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The boss fight right before Chapter 4 sucked. I died a few times. Game got way better after that though, so far at least.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Man the combat is so loving bad in XB2

Story is decent and traversing the world is really cool because those vistas...but ugh combat is a really unsatisfying mess

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was really surprised that there were only 5 main characters in the game with 1 or 2 single chapter allies tacked on. Feels lazy but i guess the blades add variety

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

The boss fight right before Chapter 4 sucked. I died a few times. Game got way better after that though, so far at least.

Chapter 4 is a big slog so hang onto your butt

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really miss my GOAT team of Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban. No need for that healing Sharla we're just gonna jump tank to tank.

The goon who said earlier that XC1 felt like lightning in a bottle might be onto something. I'm on Chapter 5 right now, and while I recognize that the combat is more fun than the original games' I'm not enjoying the story (barring the times it gets properly Xeno) and the only character I really like as a character is the one who's an overt Xenogears parody which just reminds me of how much more I enjoyed Xenogears than this game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol JRPGs haven't been for children since the 90s.

Teens at the earliest.

Pokemon though?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

I really miss my GOAT team of Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban. No need for that healing Sharla we're just gonna jump tank to tank.

The goon who said earlier that XC1 felt like lightning in a bottle might be onto something. I'm on Chapter 5 right now, and while I recognize that the combat is more fun than the original games' I'm not enjoying the story (barring the times it gets properly Xeno) and the only character I really like as a character is the one who's an overt Xenogears parody which just reminds me of how much more I enjoyed Xenogears than this game.

The characters and setting of 1 are undeniably better but i cant go back cause the combat and combat ui is heinous compared to how slick it is in 2

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really liked XCX's system of synchronizing your team's abilities via callouts and generating healing that way instead of dedicated heal buttons. Kind of a bummer they ditched that although everything else in this game is better.

Real hurthling! posted:

I was really surprised that there were only 5 main characters in the game with 1 or 2 single chapter allies tacked on. Feels lazy but i guess the blades add variety

If i can use core chips and poo poo on a character does that mean they're permanent? Just got a party member in chapter 3 but don't want to waste time on them if they're gonna leave.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

I really liked XCX's system of synchronizing your team's abilities via callouts and generating healing that way instead of dedicated heal buttons. Kind of a bummer they ditched that although everything else in this game is better.

If i can use core chips and poo poo on a character does that mean they're permanent? Just got a party member in chapter 3 but don't want to waste time on them if they're gonna leave.

I dont want to spoil anything, but dont worry, upgrading Roc isnt a waste

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Tender Bender posted:

That system was overly complex and obtuse as gently caress, I'm glad it's gone.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Takoluka posted:

This is 100% how I feel about it. I actually laughed for a good few seconds at Knuckles's war line.

I also love the first Infinite fight where if you get hit by his glowing red rectangles, everything turns into a nightmare world of spikes with a red overlay and muffled sounds. Like, everything about it is just so... juvenile, for lack of a better term, and it's just so stupidly endearing for that reason.

I still wanna know who took a game who’s main villain concept started as literal President Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas and decide it need to be full of edge constantly since the Dreamcast era and who keeps agreeing it’s the best way to take the series still

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Meanwhile in the year 2017 Mario finally got a drat gun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
and it was the exact opposite of edgy

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Story is decent and traversing the world is really cool because those vistas...but ugh combat is a really unsatisfying mess

I try to avoid as much fighting as I can get away with. It's really bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I try to avoid as much fighting as I can get away with. It's really bad.

This is me in every rpg past hour 30. It almost always leads to me getting to the final boss and just watching the ending on yt lmao

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

To interpret jrpg chat it occurred to me while cackling about the inevitable poo poo show every switch going online on Xmas is gonna be that I haven't heard any news about parents murdering each other to get systems. Thought that was nice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it seems like they got supply handled for the holidays.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

Meanwhile in the year 2017 Mario finally got a drat gun.

And they gave Link a Motorcycle

Shadow the Hedgehog was actually right; he was just 12 years too early

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I like your attitude.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What the hell is the actual release date for the Fire Emblem Warriors DLC?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ventana posted:

And they gave Link a Motorcycle

Shadow the Hedgehog was actually right; he was just 12 years too early

Too much, too fast, some would say.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Tomorrow, apparently

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

December 21st.

In Japan. Overseas? Who knows.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Laterite posted:

Anime titties aren't a problem in and of themselves, I'm not a prude, I just want to know whether they are front and center, so to speak.

There's a scene pretty early on where rex wakes up with his head in pyras lap, and in first person he's looking up at her face and each tit takes up like fully 1/4 of the screens real estate. I had the pieces of a joke about the two suns of Tatooine bumping around in my head that never quite materialized.

That said, its pretty standard JRPG fare, and mostly pretty wholesome. Pyra is male gaze AF, but it strikes me as kinda funny soooo... :shrug:

edit: All the scottish voice acting is delightful, it feels almost exotic in a JRPG.

edit: Also I like Rex as a protagonist a lot more than I imagined I would. I expected a whiny type, not an exuberant but still pretty competent regular guy. Pyra is... nice? I guess? She's ~*~mysterious~*~ so I don't really know anything about her.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 21, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont want to spoil anything, but dont worry, upgrading Roc isnt a waste

I do appreciate the response but reading between the lines that uhh seems like inadvertently the most spoilery nonspoiler way to tell me what happens to that character!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Enter The Dungeon is definitely a top-tier switch indie game. if you are on the fence about getting a COOL ESHOP GAME, this is the one

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How’s it compare to Isaac? I have so much to do in that game still that I’m kinda afraid of starting another game like it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it compare to Isaac? I have so much to do in that game still that I’m kinda afraid of starting another game like it.

i haven't played a lot of BoI, i found the setting and story aesthetic kind of grating and it became a hurdle to properly getting into it. i'd like to revisit it sometime, though. so in that regard, gungeon is very charming. mostly it reminds me of spelunky, the same sort of vibes and humour. different paths through different levels, lots of random elements to tackle.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love Isaac, but I've put more time into Gungeon than it on Steam. But YMMV, obviously. I'd say Gungeon is more difficult than Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll give it a try. Is it getting a physical release like Isaac did?

• Locked thread