Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He is through his mother, but the last name is actually his Christian father's. It's Polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His dad is kore than one kind of shitheel though.
He sells out near everyone he knew as soon as the nazis start calling for names, and makes a comfortable life for himself by brownnosing and brownshirting for the nazis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Baron von Eevl posted:

"I guess that Blaskowitz guy really has some growing up to do."

Spoiler for The New Colossus
the picture of BJ on the tricycle had me dying I had to pause the game

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Been rewatching 12 Monkeys (show) in anticipation of season four and noticing the little movie references. One was fairly obvious because it was Madeline Stowe in an asylum whose parting words to new James Cole were "have a merry Christmas." But I think my favorite so far is when Jennifer Goines is locked up and scribbling with crayons she has a drawing of a lion roaring on top of a skyscraper.

Both references to the movie, if you haven't seen it.

One thing unrelated to the movie I noticed that was a little subtle: when asked if she worked for her father (as a researcher) Jennifer said she'd been working for daddy since she was 13, when her breasts started coming in. It's why she was so enamored with Cole when she found out he'd killed him. :(

Not a very pleasant thing to notice on a re-watch but, there you go. Made more sense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Been thinking about Demolition Man again and kind of realised - Simon Phoenix and John Spartan are basically on the same side, being two sides of the same coin - they both represent the violent nature of the past, with Simon being pure chaos and John trying to fit in without breaking everything but in his nature doing so anyway (Yes, John Spartan is Wreck-it Ralph in this analogy.) - the fight they share is against the totalitarian future itself - Simon wants to burn it all down, and John is constantly finding the future has obstacles to stop him stopping Phoenix.

In effect, it doesn't matter who wins - to Cocteau it's the same result. Whoever wins - he will inevitably lose. Hell, in trying to regulate people the way he is, he is basically holding the door shut like Jafar trying to keep Ali's parade out of the throne room, with the freedoms of the past inevitably bursting through, first in small trickles like with Huxley's fetishistic near-worship of the 90s and the invasion of the Taco Bell, eventually building to Stallone crashing through the "roof" of a long-decommissioned elevator in an oldsmobile, having similar visual language to a zombie bursting from it's grave. The past is coming back to haunt Cocteau, and there is nothing he can realistically do about it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BioEnchanted posted:

Been thinking about Demolition Man again and kind of realised - Simon Phoenix and John Spartan are basically on the same side, being two sides of the same coin - they both represent the violent nature of the past, with Simon being pure chaos and John trying to fit in without breaking everything but in his nature doing so anyway (Yes, John Spartan is Wreck-it Ralph in this analogy.) - the fight they share is against the totalitarian future itself - Simon wants to burn it all down, and John is constantly finding the future has obstacles to stop him stopping Phoenix.

In effect, it doesn't matter who wins - to Cocteau it's the same result. Whoever wins - he will inevitably lose. Hell, in trying to regulate people the way he is, he is basically holding the door shut like Jafar trying to keep Ali's parade out of the throne room, with the freedoms of the past inevitably bursting through, first in small trickles like with Huxley's fetishistic near-worship of the 90s and the invasion of the Taco Bell, eventually building to Stallone crashing through the "roof" of a long-decommissioned elevator in an oldsmobile, having similar visual language to a zombie bursting from it's grave. The past is coming back to haunt Cocteau, and there is nothing he can realistically do about it.

:sweatdrop:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

Welp, there's a reference I missed until now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Holy poo poo, I never read Brave New World so had no idea Lenina Huxley was a literary reference.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Look up Cocteau too while you're at it.

The whole script is full of "subtleties" like that, except for the Leary part, that's just his standup routine transplanted into the film

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

The whole script is full of "subtleties" like that, except for the Leary part, that's just Bill Hicks' standup routine transplanted into the film

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Demolition man is legit one of the ten best films ever made and if you disagree youre a goddamn stupid garbage idiot

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

Demolition man is legit one of the ten best films ever made and if you disagree youre a goddamn stupid garbage idiot

It's one of those movies that I would be okay if they remade it.
You'd have to make a miracle and keep all the camp but get the Starship Troopers people involved.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

You'd have to make a miracle and keep all the camp but get the Starship Troopers people involved.

Like Robert Heinlein?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

I'm glad the hype over The Last Dragon remake has died down. I mean, even Samuel L. Jackson is no Shogun of Harlem. He will always be Julius Carry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Last Jedi

When Luke comes out to bait Kylo Ren into a duel, after brushing off a sustained laser cannon bombardment like it was nothing, he sets his feet to charge at his opponent. The only thing is, unlike every single other thing that touches the crust of the mineral planet, Luke's feet don't disturb the salt. I wondered if he was really there when he appeared out of nowhere, but when he gave the dice to Leia I thought for sure he was, and it was only in hindsight talking with friends afterwards that we realised he wasn't leaving footprints.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Memento posted:

The Last Jedi

When Luke comes out to bait Kylo Ren into a duel, after brushing off a sustained laser cannon bombardment like it was nothing, he sets his feet to charge at his opponent. The only thing is, unlike every single other thing that touches the crust of the mineral planet, Luke's feet don't disturb the salt. I wondered if he was really there when he appeared out of nowhere, but when he gave the dice to Leia I thought for sure he was, and it was only in hindsight talking with friends afterwards that we realised he wasn't leaving footprints.

Also his clothes and hair are how they looked when Ben betrayed him several years earlier, he's still using his father's lightsaber that Ben and Rey just destroyed. What I liked is that he got the idea for that trick from R2 when he went to check out the Falcon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While it was kind of dumb at times, overall my brother and I had a decent time watching the Sherman and Mr Peabody movie a few years ago. I particularly thought that the Marie Antoinette joke was an amusing twist on the old trope/misquote - in the movie she says the infamous line in a completely innocuous context, and it gets misattributed as her making derisive comments on the ability of the poor to afford bread. I also thought that they had interesting moments recalling that Mr Peabody is an actual dog, like when he loses his temper and bites the barely-relevant villain, then feels kind of lovely about it for a while after. The CPS Lady was totally irrelevant to the plot, but it resulted in a cute spartacus payoff so overall I could forgive it.

Movie could have been a lot worse.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

While it was kind of dumb at times, overall my brother and I had a decent time watching the Sherman and Mr Peabody movie a few years ago. I particularly thought that the Marie Antoinette joke was an amusing twist on the old trope/misquote - in the movie she says the infamous line in a completely innocuous context, and it gets misattributed as her making derisive comments on the ability of the poor to afford bread. I also thought that they had interesting moments recalling that Mr Peabody is an actual dog, like when he loses his temper and bites the barely-relevant villain, then feels kind of lovely about it for a while after. The CPS Lady was totally irrelevant to the plot, but it resulted in a cute spartacus payoff so overall I could forgive it.

Movie could have been a lot worse.

They drop the dog word a lot.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I have to say that the sound design for Ninjago was surprisingly spot-on, particularly with one early scene and its use of the Wilhelm Scream.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Last Jedi spoilers:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also his clothes and hair are how they looked when Ben betrayed him several years earlier, he's still using his father's lightsaber that Ben and Rey just destroyed. What I liked is that he got the idea for that trick from R2 when he went to check out the Falcon.

I was wondering where the gently caress he got Vader's lightsaber from until the reveal. Also not exactly subtle, but seemed fairly easy to miss due to being off to the side of the frame, is that Space Newsie at the very end force-grabbing his broom. Jesus gently caress I expected those dumb stable kids to kick into "Hard Knock Life" any second.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FreshFeesh posted:

I have to say that the sound design for Ninjago was surprisingly spot-on, particularly with one early scene and its use of the Wilhelm Scream.

It's not very subtle but the house cat as a WMD made me laugh my balls off

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Last Jedi spoilers:

I was wondering where the gently caress he got Vader's lightsaber from until the reveal. Also not exactly subtle, but seemed fairly easy to miss due to being off to the side of the frame, is that Space Newsie at the very end force-grabbing his broom. Jesus gently caress I expected those dumb stable kids to kick into "Hard Knock Life" any second.

I didn't mind the stable kids at the end bit. It makes sense with Rey being seemingly so drat powerful that just because the Skywalker line has ended, force sensitive kids aren't going to stop being born.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memento posted:

I didn't mind the stable kids at the end bit. It makes sense with Rey being seemingly so drat powerful that just because the Skywalker line has ended, force sensitive kids aren't going to stop being born.

Well no, Kylo is a Skywalker.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Aphrodite posted:

Well no, Kylo is a Skywalker.

Yeah, like he's getting laid.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Smiling Jack posted:

It's not very subtle but the house cat as a WMD made me laugh my balls off

As did the ice guy's impression of his mom yelling at him. Great jokes for the adults in the room

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Memento posted:

There was a lot that didn't work in the film, at least in my opinion, but that was one part that I really liked, particularly after what we learn about Rey's lineage, and serving as a nice call back to the "I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" line from the very first film.

Sand Monster has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Dec 20, 2017

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Last Jedi Continuity Error when Kylo and Luck face off against each other at the end, Luke is standing in a totally red (all the salt was blasted away by the AT-AT's) patch of ground, and we cut away and then back again in a minute they're both standing in pristine white salt (so that you can see Kylo's feet skuff up the salt while Luke's do not). I only noticed it on my second viewing

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A totally accidental bit of social commentary in the live action Ninja Turtle's movies - the name of the female turtle. The main 4, Donatello, Raphael, Leonardo and Michelangelo are all named after artists, people during the Renaissance who did stuff and were remembered for it. The girl? Venus. After Venus de Milo. A statue, motionless, not even with arms or legs, just meant to sit there and look pretty. The other 4 named after Renaissance artists, Venus named after something an artist did. Considering she was likely introduced to tick boxes, that's kind of amazing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DandyLion posted:

Last Jedi Continuity Error when Kylo and Luck face off against each other at the end, Luke is standing in a totally red (all the salt was blasted away by the AT-AT's) patch of ground, and we cut away and then back again in a minute they're both standing in pristine white salt (so that you can see Kylo's feet skuff up the salt while Luke's do not). I only noticed it on my second viewing

Ren had to walk forward out of his shuttle, I assume Luke walked forward to meet him in the middle.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

A totally accidental bit of social commentary in the live action Ninja Turtle's movies - the name of the female turtle. The main 4, Donatello, Raphael, Leonardo and Michelangelo are all named after artists, people during the Renaissance who did stuff and were remembered for it. The girl? Venus. After Venus de Milo. A statue, motionless, not even with arms or legs, just meant to sit there and look pretty. The other 4 named after Renaissance artists, Venus named after something an artist did. Considering she was likely introduced to tick boxes, that's kind of amazing.

Isn't that her canon name from the comics and cartoons?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

Same but with Finn running over to Rose after the crash. all white, no red footprints. maybe the gun blast solidified it? eh also noticed on second viewing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aleph Null posted:

Isn't that her canon name from the comics and cartoons?

She wasn't in the comics or cartoons. IIRC, Mona Lisa was created for the live-action series, and very unpopular. They've recycled the name for use on characters unrelated to the turtles, in the most recent cartoon an alien lizard lady who Raphael is smitten with but can't pronounce the name of, so he decides to call her the name of a woman famous for her beauty.

Like, I think Eastman and Laird, before they sold the rights, had promised they would never use Mona Lisa again.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

It's really far fetched. The first thing you are supposed to think of when you hear Venus is a goddess, not a statue with no arms

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The statue had arms but they fell off in 1820 when pirates tried to steal it.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Dec 21, 2017

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also, AFAIK there aren’t that many famous female Renaissance artists known enough to name a Ninja Turtle after.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Android Apocalypse posted:

Also, AFAIK there aren’t that many famous female Renaissance artists known enough to name a Ninja Turtle after.

You say that like any kid who was into the turtles had heard of raphael or donatello before they were turtles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Turtles are usually named either by their nerdy owner pre-mutation or Splinter, so if any girl turtles are named by someone different then it doesn't really have to fit the pattern.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

SiKboy posted:

You say that like any kid who was into the turtles had heard of raphael or donatello before they were turtles.

True.

Did find this about lady artists of the Renaissance. http://www.artcyclopedia.com/hot/women-artists-of-the-renaissance.html so there were some to pick from.

I noticed you didn't mention Leonardo because, yes, everybody knows who that is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I suppose "Kara Vaggio" would be right out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Phy posted:

I suppose "Kara Vaggio" would be right out

Sounds more like a Bond girl