Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think you'll find that this is politicaly correct fake news sjw bullshit, coal can not fail

http://reneweconomy.com.au/intermittent-another-big-coal-unit-trips-thats-four-in-a-week-47037/

Four have fallen over in the last week. Some have been down for more. Eraring only blew up two main transformers back in 2011. And Hazelwood, good riddance to bad rubbish.
These things are old. The companies are running them into the ground rather than do the required levels of maintenance.

Lid posted:

Triple M is making the surprising move to launch its own top 100 playlist on Australia Day next year, just weeks after triple j announced it is moving the date of the Hottest 100.

An email sent to Triple M subscribers, obtained by The Music today, announced the 'Ozzest 100' list and takes a jab at the youth broadcaster.

"So, the taxpayer funded FM has decided that there’ll be no soundtrack for Australia Day. Let’s face it, that’s usually full of hipsters or kids making music on a Mac," the email reads.

"At Triple M, we’re going to give you what you’ve asked for. The perfect Australia Day soundtrack."

ge'ffucked commercial trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

No it won't, and this is what I really don't get about the way this was announced. "That's right, Melbourne. Apple — yes, THAT Apple — are opening a rare Apple® Flagship Store® right here, Down Under, for we unworthy barbarians. And thanks to me, Daniel Andrews, they have chosen THIS VERY CITY as etc. etc." — as if anyone gives a poo poo about Apple anymore! It's not ten years ago. Everyone already has an iPhone, everyone has a complaint about whichever one they own, Apple isn't trendy anymore, they're just... around.

What I mean is, when I saw the headline, 'Fed Square building to be knocked down to make room for Apple Store', I genuinely thought it must be a joke. You might as well have said a Starbucks. It's ridiculous. Melbourne people like public spaces, they like Fed Square, they all own iPads, and none of them give a gently caress about Apple and Apple Stores and the Apple Store® Experience™. It's old news; no longer fashionable, exciting, or interesting, even for boring Australians who are excited by American brands just like on the telly.

I have my own reasons for hating this plan, many and varied, but I'm just trying to imagine the ordinary Melbournite-on-the-street's reaction to it, and I think Daniel Andrews tried to imagine the same thing, and I think he's misread the current public mood about Apple, like your mum trying to keep up with which cartoons you're into. I guess we'll see.

I agree that this is a dumb idea and probably how Melburnians will react to an Apple store, but as far as a tourist attraction goes they aren't the target audience. The visitors are almost certainly going to be internationals with maybe a smattering of Australians from country towns coming into the city for the weekend.

It baffles me as to why Chinese tourists would bother to come to Melbourne to go to an Apple store when there are hundreds of them in China, but it seems to work for the other international retail brands in Melbourne.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Should have used the space to build a big Tesla battery farm :smugbert:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If triplem open voting to the public, we all need to get everyone we know to vote frenzal.

My suggestions:
I know why dinosaurs became extinct it's because they learned how to suck their own cocks
Russel Crowe's Band
Bucket Bong

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Seems more like a moment for TISM.

https://youtu.be/wspFJZn9mTE

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I never said anything about it being okay because it's Labor, I just said I disagree with the knee-jerk opposition because the space will be used for public events and activities and it's creating a bunch of jobs. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Apple and don't own any of their products, but I can put that aside to see the bigger picture.

As far as I can recall, you and I have never spoken or messaged, so I don't appreciate being told to get hosed merely for having a different opinion. If you disagree with me then fine, but resorting to "get hosed" is exactly the opposite of constructive debate. Solemn Sloth, MikeJF and I have respectfully disagreed with each other, so it'd be great if you could join in or keep out.

gently caress off

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
lol if you think the Fed square Apple store will create any large number actual jobs that wouldn't have happened anyway. If this ~`*Flaship Store*`~ in fed square wasn't an option they'd either open up one somewhere else or just open up more of their normal stores in the city.

Any claimed public space benefit is also a load of poo poo because there is nothing stopping the government from redesigning and re building the space however they want. (Apart from their own corruption and stupidity of course).

Similarly, if the govt wants more jobs, they could redesign/release the retail spaces to promote more employment in the spaces.

Whitlam posted:

Everyone wants a progressive government until we actually have one

Ahh yes, gifting priority to public space to a large multinational corporation is clearly the hallmark of a highly progressive government. See also, the West gate tunnel. What a progressive government we have!

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Andrews is trying as hard as he can to fall from grace it seems. He really seemed to be doing a pretty decent job for a while. Weatherill now best state leader?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Annastacia Palaszczuk is the best state leader by virtue of being the leader of the best state.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

ili posted:

Annastacia Palaszczuk is the best state leader by virtue of being the leader of the best state.

True, true.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
CHOCULA GET IN HERE

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Majestic posted:

Andrews is trying as hard as he can to fall from grace it seems. He really seemed to be doing a pretty decent job for a while. Weatherill now best state leader?

Weatherill's been the only state leader genuinely sticking up for his state for a while now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Periphery posted:

lol if you think the Fed square Apple store will create any large number actual jobs that wouldn't have happened anyway. If this ~`*Flaship Store*`~ in fed square wasn't an option they'd either open up one somewhere else or just open up more of their normal stores in the city.

Any claimed public space benefit is also a load of poo poo because there is nothing stopping the government from redesigning and re building the space however they want. (Apart from their own corruption and stupidity of course).

Similarly, if the govt wants more jobs, they could redesign/release the retail spaces to promote more employment in the spaces.

Ahh yes, gifting priority to public space to a large multinational corporation is clearly the hallmark of a highly progressive government. See also, the West gate tunnel. What a progressive government we have!

Yeah we should have got a bunch of bricklayers from the suburbs to build the Westgate tunnel.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ili posted:

I agree. Brisbane strong.

Hail Campbell

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I straight up don't get how people are so angsty over this.
If:
1) The government was going to get rid of Fed Square south building
and
2) Apple is paying for the land and construction

then who really gives a poo poo? I mean if the government is paying for the privilege of having an apple store in Fed Square then they can absolutely gently caress off.

The West Gate Tunnel is significantly worse in every way and Dandrews should get the poo poo kicked out of him from that one, but loving :laffo: if you think this wasn't going to happen. Apple and the fuckwits behind the West Gate Tunnel saw opportunities and basically every government in Australia would 100% have done what Dandrews and his government did.
At least we're getting Metrorail and the Airport Rail link.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

I agree. Brisbane strong.

Hail Campbell

To quote the great Bob Katter - Queensland: the Fruit Basket of the World.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
What galls me is in the zoomed out shot of Fed Square you can see the existing Apple store across the street anyway.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Frogfingers posted:

What galls me is in the zoomed out shot of Fed Square you can see the existing Apple store across the street anyway.

I think that store is actually an authorised reseller rather than official apple store

regardless it's pretty galling

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Before Times posted:

I think that store is actually an authorised reseller rather than official apple store

regardless it's pretty galling
It's ok, when that store shuts down the staff there can apply to work at the cube.

So much for 200 "new" jobs?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ili posted:

The gently caress you call Queensland?

I kid, it's actually pretty nice up here outside of the humidity and how there's not even remotely close to enough wind to take the edge off.

Also hopefully there's no more association with Bjelke-Petersen now that his widow is dead.

Lid posted:

Rererereposting

Triple M is making the surprising move to launch its own top 100 playlist on Australia Day next year, just weeks after triple j announced it is moving the date of the Hottest 100.

An email sent to Triple M subscribers, obtained by The Music today, announced the 'Ozzest 100' list and takes a jab at the youth broadcaster.

"So, the taxpayer funded FM has decided that there’ll be no soundtrack for Australia Day. Let’s face it, that’s usually full of hipsters or kids making music on a Mac," the email reads.

"At Triple M, we’re going to give you what you’ve asked for. The perfect Australia Day soundtrack."

Australia; because gently caress you for not wanting to be associated with the murder for Aboriginals.

hooman posted:

If triplem open voting to the public, we all need to get everyone we know to vote frenzal.

My suggestions:
I know why dinosaurs became extinct it's because they learned how to suck their own cocks
Russel Crowe's Band
Bucket Bong

I nominate 'I sucked a lot of cock to get where I am'

Testekill fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 20, 2017

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I'd love for Triple M to play this and see how many of their listeners stroke out over it: https://youtu.be/rvrZJ5C_Nwg

2:23 is when the beat drops

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro

Written and performed by an American. What could be more perfect.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lol at the loving cry babies in here calling Apple products "horrid things" that spy on you (and presumably those people own Android devices which is even more hilarious) and complaining about them buying land to put a building on.

Also lol at people complaining about Cold Chisel and ACDC as if they arent actually good bands unfortunately adopted by bogans.

This thread is full of loving losers its fantastic.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Brisbane got all HFC NBN because it's clearly what it deserves.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

Lol at the loving cry babies in here calling Apple products "horrid things" that spy on you (and presumably those people own Android devices which is even more hilarious) and complaining about them buying land to put a building on.

Also lol at people complaining about Cold Chisel and ACDC as if they arent actually good bands unfortunately adopted by bogans.

What a surprise, Laserface with a bad opinion.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

wow look at this crybaby melting down because a single person called Apple products "horrid things"

I think it's perfectly justifiable to complain about what is supposed to be a cultural space being taken up by a multinational corporation that does everything in its power not to pay tax. Not just that, but a pretty cool building being demolished and replaced with a glass cube.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

CrazyTolradi posted:

Brisbane got all HFC NBN because it's clearly what it deserves.

Oh did we? I couldn't tell because my internet shits itself for the smallest reason despite having the NBN.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

Hi dad.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Apple products are kinda mediocre tbh, but they appeal hard to the hipster aesthetic of bland, and white.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I use a Google Pixel for maximum interactions per day with the CIA.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont give a poo poo if someone doesnt like Apple or their products but 'horrid things' like just get on your loving steamboat and paddle away back to the 1800s and read your bible by the light of your kerosene lamp lol

like they actually are selling more computers in an era where the PC is on the decline. Like them or not they are a popular brand selling well made products that are actually good.

eagerly awaiting your check-mate response of 'well they use child labor and pay no taxes :smug: ' because NO OTHER tech giant does that do they :rolleyes:

as for the music stuff MMM is dogshit radio for absolute fuckwits but thats because its 90% washed up sports stars talking about sports and Powderfinger/Foo fighters on repeat. AC/DC is one of the most successful bands in the world and you dont get to that level without having an audience that enjoys it.

Like guys its OK to like stuff and enjoy things and be a leftie you dont have to be miserable cunts all the time. Give it a try some time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Laserface posted:

Sorry about your bad taste in music.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

They should just rebuild the old Gas and Fuel towers on the spot.

And bring back the Gas and Fuel state corporation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

Like guys its OK to like stuff and enjoy things and be a leftie you dont have to be miserable cunts all the time. Give it a try some time.

:wrong:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Laserface posted:

I dont give a poo poo if someone doesnt like Apple or their products but 'horrid things' like just get on your loving steamboat and paddle away back to the 1800s and read your bible by the light of your kerosene lamp lol

like they actually are selling more computers in an era where the PC is on the decline. Like them or not they are a popular brand selling well made products that are actually good.

eagerly awaiting your check-mate response of 'well they use child labor and pay no taxes :smug: ' because NO OTHER tech giant does that do they :rolleyes:

who are you yelling at?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He discovered that the answer is actually somewhere in the middle and needs you to know about it.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

In more important music news, it's the 21st of December.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoJxigEuVC4

Also wrt public spaces and deals with corporations, everyone should be listening to Citations Needed, they just put up their second ep about governments/councils providing incentives to corporations (afaik the gov't hasn't offered incentives to Apple in this case but who knows) https://www.patreon.com/citationsneededpodcast/posts
It's a good podcast. Somewhat US-focused but it's more about the role of the media so just as relevant here.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

As far as I can tell, Apple didn't buy the land. They just proposed to pay for the redevelopment of the site and will pay rent.

Also, good work calling people losers and then only engaging on this topic from the nerdiest possible angle (apple vs other tech companies) without even bothering to consider the broader issues relating to the use and appropriation of public space by large corporate entities.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

He discovered that the answer is actually somewhere in the middle and needs you to know about it.

It definitely seems like everyone else in this thread isnt actually aware of that so ya know, its worth repeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
idk, getting all sad and mad about some people saying mean things about Apple seems like a loser thing to do :shrug:

• Locked thread