Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Apple, much like laserface, can gently caress off

I've always thought Fed Square is a weird use of space and not that inviting, building a vast temple to lovely operating systems is a flying leap backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please vote for January 26 by A. B. Original and Dan Sultan in the triple M countdown

then vote for Treaty by Yothu Yindi and Beds are burning by Midnight Oil

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I dunno, apple seems a pretty good match for Melbourne. A lovely product no different to anything else underneath but some superficial gloss and an expensive marketing campaign have convinced idiot hipsters that it's somehow cool and artistic.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I am in favour of this plan but only if it is a microsoft store instead.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I am in favour of this plan but only if it is a microsoft store instead.

I'm lining up for the new Zune

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

What Fed Square actually needs is some gardens or grass something. It's just a big block of concrete with gently caress all shade. How about some trees Melbourne?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
ASIO took me off their watch list. They said my posts were 'boring and predicable'. So it doesn't matter what technology I use.

Whitlam posted:

And again, the original lead architect, Donald Bates, disagrees with people who say it won't work.
So is his opinion on artistic merit good or bad? You haven't really made your point clearly.

Could you change your user name from Whitlam please. Even though he was a a neocolonialist with a dodgey ethical sense you still manage to despoil his legacy. This is exactly what Whitlam wouldn't have allowed. If he had been PM there would have been a federal injunction and ban slapped on it so fast it would make you chunder from motion sickness.

ewe2 posted:

Nah it'll be CHISELS and BARNSEY and JET and ESKIMO JOE and whatever the A/R person loving the DJ is into at the moment. Do they play much of Tina Arena, I haven't listened to them since Get This ended.
Nope no Tina Arena on MMM :australia: anyway she's basically French now and was a wog to start with.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Barnsey is woke these days so maybe he'll tell them not to play his stuff. That'd be hilarious
Doubt Barnsey owns the rights to any of his pre-millennium work and MMM wouldn't dream of respecting an artists personal wishes. It's probably against their religion.

Apart from all joining https://www.triplem.com.au/the-club-classic-hits?station=coffs and Rick Rollign them, suck it up and fuel your boomer hate a little harder. I'll be listening to the Killers.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

tithin posted:

Apple products are kinda mediocre tbh, but they appeal hard to the hipster aesthetic of bland, and white.

what do you use instead, a dang anroid

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I used Apple products under duress (work phones) for eight years and my Google phone is a revelation in smashing glass instead of interacting with my fellow man.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer Iphones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Does Triple M even have 100 Australian songs in their rotation?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Laserface posted:

I dont give a poo poo if someone doesnt like Apple or their products but 'horrid things' like just get on your loving steamboat and paddle away back to the 1800s and read your bible by the light of your kerosene lamp lol

like they actually are selling more computers in an era where the PC is on the decline. Like them or not they are a popular brand selling well made products that are actually good.

eagerly awaiting your check-mate response of 'well they use child labor and pay no taxes :smug: ' because NO OTHER tech giant does that do they :rolleyes:

as for the music stuff MMM is dogshit radio for absolute fuckwits but thats because its 90% washed up sports stars talking about sports and Powderfinger/Foo fighters on repeat. AC/DC is one of the most successful bands in the world and you dont get to that level without having an audience that enjoys it.

Like guys its OK to like stuff and enjoy things and be a leftie you dont have to be miserable cunts all the time. Give it a try some time.

m8, like whatever you like, but equally, people are allowed to criticise poo poo.

btw the whole "because no one else does it rite" defense is a shithouse defense.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like my iphone because it's easy to use and functional.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

NSW worst state

https://twitter.com/dailytelegraph/status/943406117136322565

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

bandaid.friend posted:

who are you yelling at?

I said apples were horrid things and he is melting down because a corporate brand is an intrinsic part of his identity for some reason

Also my main objection is that they are hideously overpriced for what they are and if you buy them in the reg you have that perfect mixture of too much money and too little brains

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Well here's something we can all get together and agree on.

It's the holiday season. It's time for Peace and love, people*

*and molotov cocktails through Morrison's bedroom window

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

ili posted:

I dunno, apple seems a pretty good match for Melbourne. A lovely product no different to anything else underneath but some superficial gloss and an expensive marketing campaign have convinced idiot hipsters that it's somehow cool and artistic.

I still use a 2011 Macbook Pro and a 2013 iPhone 5S daily. I doubt I'd find a PC laptop or an Android phone that would last that long.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A lot of people oppose safe schools style programs because they want to do their own sex and life education with their children and don't trust the government to do it.

I think this is a fair and reasonable argument.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you would

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Fanatic posted:

I still use a 2011 Macbook Pro and a 2013 iPhone 5S daily. I doubt I'd find a PC laptop or an Android phone that would last that long.

I was using an Asus UX21E (along side a standard tower) until I decided I should prolly get an upgrade last week.
I really like iPhones but I'm still somewhat pissy that Apple obsoletes it's own phones by pushing updates that progressively make the phone slower and worse unless you opt out of updating your phone after year 2 or 3.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

A lot of people oppose safe schools style programs because they want to do their own sex and life education with their children and don't trust the government to do it.

lol yeah right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

you would

Why isn't it ok for someone to challenge the reach of government into their lives? I'm not referring to right wing people either, these are Greens voters that understand the programme, but they don't have enough faith in government and teachers to deliver this kind of programme.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
who

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wholeheartedly subscribe to safe schools btw, but I also don't have children.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
motherfuckn newy oval office

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tithin posted:

m8, like whatever you like, but equally, people are allowed to criticise poo poo.

btw the whole "because no one else does it rite" defense is a shithouse defense.

yeah but if you are anti-apple because of that then you should probably not use about 90% of products either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think giving you the names of people I know through work and social circles is appropriate, they're just people who when it comes up respond with an "I don't know about my kid's teacher being capable of dealing with these matters and would rather deliver the information myself".

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Fanatic posted:

My work laptop is some old HP whatever thats about 7 years old and is working fine.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i want to be a teacher just so i can tell kids about dildos, like my teachers did to me

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
in year 7 french our teacher, who was about 80 years old and looked like a dried apple, inexplicably decided to explain to us what a douche was (her justification was that it's a french word) and caused a major incident

she also told us she had a lifesize nude self-portrait above her dining table at home

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

I don't think any of those people are gonna vote for Luke "Cry for the Dog Owners" Foley. Except the ones who want to teach their kids that gays are evil, sex is immoral and should only be done for procreation and that the Bible is the ultimate arbiter of moral righteousness. Or worse, the ones who say that they should be the ones to teach their kids this stuff and then proceed to not teach their kids anything.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Laserface posted:

yeah but if you are anti-apple because of that then you should probably not use about 90% of products either.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

JBP posted:

I don't think giving you the names of people I know through work and social circles is appropriate, they're just people who when it comes up respond with an "I don't know about my kid's teacher being capable of dealing with these matters and would rather deliver the information myself".

I'm highly skeptical these people make up a large percentage of those who want safe schools shut down

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i paid little attention in french because my friend and i were writing tekken yaoi up the back of the classroom. he was unaccountably obsessed with heihachi

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

starkebn posted:

I'm highly skeptical these people make up a large percentage of those who want safe schools shut down

They don't. It's mostly religious idiots who think homosexuality is depraved, and people who trust the right wing media and politicians when they make outlandish claims against safe schools.

I don't give a gently caress if people don't trust the government to do sex ed properly. Kids are killing themselves because their parents are loving poo poo at it so we take that option away from them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I said apples were horrid things and he is melting down because a corporate brand is an intrinsic part of his identity for some reason

Also my main objection is that they are hideously overpriced for what they are and if you buy them in the reg you have that perfect mixture of too much money and too little brains

My 2011 iMac has been on every day for 6 and a half years and has only required 4GB of RAM and an SSD to remain fast. my ipad is 4 years old and still works fine. it cost 2 grand plus the $400 for the upgrades that I only felt necessary to do a year ago.

Fanatic posted:

This. Comparable spending on other brands does not yield the same quality or life span. My dad has been through 3 laptops in 6 years that cost as much as my iMac each, and he uses stuff way less than I do.

Phones I get given by work and they give you a choice of devices but Iphones customer support has always been golden for me so I would be stupid to switch away from them. I had a smashed screen replaced out of warranty for $0 because it had a slight defect in the camera window from the factory that I didnt even notice. Compared to my coworker whos Note 7 literally exploded and he had to send it away to be 'assessed' and then got told he would get $250 credit towards a new phone despite the widely known issues with it.

For the record my primary device is a MS surface pro 3. Microsoft decided to Ape Apple in making a quality product and woah, shock loving horror, it turns out making a good product actually sells well and makes customers happy. What a revelation.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

I never said that. They're still tax payers though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My windows PC cost $1200 and 7 years later it would probably spank a new mac/macbook. It got an SSD and some more ram about a year in, and a new GPU every 4 years or so.

My HP laptop is still fast despite being 5+ years old, with again an SSD and a 4gb ram upgrade.

It's almost like the claims you're making apply to both windows AND apple hardware, which is actually the loving same thing underneath the window dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fanatic posted:

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is still doing great after 4 years, apart from the battery not lasting as long as it used to.
But I'll just order a new battery and it'll be as good as new.

What does your Apple cost for a battery replacement?

• Locked thread