Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

DalaranJ posted:

Which class is the best at this? Is is the rogue, as was probably intended, or the fighter or the warlock?

Necro Wizard with a day's setup can account for all other contenders and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
When I'm a player I usually look at the book as law, which isn't good, but a DM doing it is way more problematic.

The way to force a longer adventuring day to minmaxing rests is to either trap them (varying ways to do this ranging from bad to not great) or give them a time pressure with very clear consequences they care about (difficult, but good.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

http://www.clickhole.com/video/man-locks-himself-hot-car-prove-babies-and-dogs-ar-5523

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NeurosisHead posted:

This has always been an interesting proposition to me. My Sunday group is too gun shy to go into any encounter at less than maximum strength. Enter the castle, get in a fight, long rest. Go down the hall, walk over a trap, long rest. It's loving dumb.
You only take one long rest per 24 hours so every time you do that you're explicitly hanging around in a dark room waiting to fall asleep for half a day. It would be perfectly reasonable to, next time this happens, ask how long it's been since the last long rest and suggest "my guy doesn't feel like sitting here for the next (24 - X - 8) hours, I'm going for a walk. Anyone want to come with?"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DandyLion posted:

Necro Wizard with a day's setup can account for all other contenders and then some.

I'm finally about to start doing this in my game but don't they have issues with actually hitting baddies? Even at low levels, sure you've got four skelebros that you can strap heavy crossbows to, but their attack bonus is still just +2.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bewilderment posted:

I'm finally about to start doing this in my game but don't they have issues with actually hitting baddies? Even at low levels, sure you've got four skelebros that you can strap heavy crossbows to, but their attack bonus is still just +2.

Bounded accuracy and weight of numbers means the math still comes out in your favor.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Basically every rule limiting martials is dumb and entirely from the perspective of a moderately out of shape game designer who's never worn armor. It takes five minutes to put a chain shirt on, that tells you everything you gotta know.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Darwinism posted:

Basically every rule limiting martials is dumb and entirely from the perspective of a moderately out of shape game designer who's never worn armor. It takes five minutes to put a chain shirt on, that tells you everything you gotta know.

Wait, is that the rule? 5 minutes to put on a haubergeon? It's a heavy t-shirt and a belt.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Darwinism posted:

You gotta lay down so your gut deflates enough to get it buckled, then you gotta roll over and pull yourself up. God help you if you can’t reach the straps yourself, that’s another minute pleading with another party member to help you while s/he laughs and laughs.

E: I was a fat kid. No it hasn’t left scars on my psyche.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Re: Long Rest. I get the wearing down resources part but boy does it suck that Paladin hardly gets anything besides hit die on short rests.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Darwinism posted:

Yup. Again, the jumping rules are pretty funny to if you've ever done any kind of athletic activity in your entire life. A DC 10 strength check to jump a low hedge or wall? Are you serious?

I'd pay a good chunk of change to see Mike Mearls attempt a tough mudder if he thinks hopping a wall a quarter of your jump height is remotely challenging, or that running and jumping 12 feet at a sprint is an incredible feat only capable by athletes in peak physical condition. An average standing jump is 7 1/2 feet, which would put your D&D stat score in the 14-15 range. Even a poor standing long jump is at least around 6 feet, which still puts you above average in D&D terms. Hell, most goons could probably hop across a puddle of water 6 feet wide with little effort.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bewilderment posted:

Every two skeletons is basically one skeleton attacking with advantage, which is mathematically equivalent to one skeleton with a total bonus of about +7 that occasionally does double damage.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rests are weird. I've been in a Red Hand of Doom campaign that my GM ported to 5E and we haven't had a single short rest over the entirety of the two year game. It's a sandbox campaign with serious time constraints, so we can never justify taking them. We have had several classic random-encounters-while-camping too. It's been strange because while we know to expect it and play safe with our resources, we still generally get in over our heads in combat encounters and kick down way too many doors and we keep doing fine. The party isn't even too powerful, we're a warlock, a monk, a fighter, and a cleric. None of us are particularly optimized, but it still works out.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm 99% sure RPG designers only put in the "gently caress you, Jocks" rules so that they can design Bard, Bladesinger or Hexblade spells that circumvent those limits.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Wait, is that the rule? 5 minutes to put on a haubergeon? It's a heavy t-shirt and a belt.

Unassisted it's 1/5/10 for light/medium/heavy, and assistance cuts that in half. It makes some sense if you're only basing the time off of the heaviest entry in the category and if you're going by the fantasy standard of leather armor being supple, soft stuff that's super easy to slip into.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
My character has drawn the lore bard in our campaign equivalent of Secret Santa (basically something to do to fill in the holiday season interim before our next session). We've been told that if it's a reasonable gift (which I read as not being powerful or game-breaking), our characters can keep it.

Does anyone have suggestions or homebrewed/non-XGtE mundane items that they like?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Terratina posted:

Re: Long Rest. I get the wearing down resources part but boy does it suck that Paladin hardly gets anything besides hit die on short rests.

While I sympathize with this, the paladin doesn't have to burn all of their spell slots smiting in the first encounter, every single god drat time. Sometimes you let yourself coast through a few with some shoves or grapple for flavor but don't go whole hog.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Noxin of Shame posted:

My character has drawn the lore bard in our campaign equivalent of Secret Santa (basically something to do to fill in the holiday season interim before our next session). We've been told that if it's a reasonable gift (which I read as not being powerful or game-breaking), our characters can keep it.

Does anyone have suggestions or homebrewed/non-XGtE mundane items that they like?

Get him a tattered bestiary that you found in a dusty old shop. Convince your DM that it gives him advantage on skill checks to identify monsters if he has the time to consult the book.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

NeurosisHead posted:

While I sympathize with this, the paladin doesn't have to burn all of their spell slots smiting in the first encounter, every single god drat time. Sometimes you let yourself coast through a few with some shoves or grapple for flavor but don't go whole hog.

I've been slowly learning this in regards to Rage as a Barbarian too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Noxin of Shame posted:

History books that allow them to roll lore checks in foreign countries. Assuming that Bard’s don’t automatically get that ability in 5.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Terratina posted:

Resting is dumb as gently caress, implement milestone rests and get rid of this issue.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Resting is dumb as gently caress, implement milestone rests and get rid of this issue.

To be clear, this should also apply to Short Rests. Don't worry about the 1-hour duration. Give them when you give them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kingcom posted:

that's one hell of a change to full casters , good or bad

also the resting/jumping/etc rules are something I put up with in exchange for being able to wear plate in the sun while walking for ten hours and fighting with a pack on.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

that's one hell of a change to full casters , good or bad

also the resting/jumping/etc rules are something I put up with in exchange for being able to wear plate in the sun while walking for ten hours and fighting with a pack on.

Its a hell of a change to everyone. Every couple of fights you get a short rest (or ever fight if i dont have classes that conflict with that) and every 4-8 encounters you get a full rest. It just happens, no interruptions to the flow or pacing or whatever. Plus it means you can give out cool items like potions that trigger a long rest/short rest for the character who drinks it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

User0015 posted:

Yup. Again, the jumping rules are pretty funny to if you've ever done any kind of athletic activity in your entire life. A DC 10 strength check to jump a low hedge or wall? Are you serious?

I'd pay a good chunk of change to see Mike Mearls attempt a tough mudder if he thinks hopping a wall a quarter of your jump height is remotely challenging, or that running and jumping 12 feet at a sprint is an incredible feat only capable by athletes in peak physical condition. An average standing jump is 7 1/2 feet, which would put your D&D stat score in the 14-15 range. Even a poor standing long jump is at least around 6 feet, which still puts you above average in D&D terms. Hell, most goons could probably hop across a puddle of water 6 feet wide with little effort.

The knot tying rules are just idiotic too. You're not inventing loving knots when you're tying them, if you know the knot, you know it. This INT + sleight of hand is just eye rolling.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Noxin of Shame posted:

An Astrolabe that counts as an Arcane focus. Also the Celestial Sphere on the tympan charts constellations related to legendary heroes. The wielder has Advantage on Deception checks to pass themself off as one of the charted heroes or their heirs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Skellybones posted:

There was an AD&D-era book which had a halfling who claimed to be a bard. Everyone they told refused to believe them because there was no such thing as a halfling bard.

One more argument for why AD&D is the best, strangest era. Every PC knew what class they were, what level they were, what alignment they were, and all the rules pertaining to any of those, even in the novelizations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

theironjef posted:

One more argument for why AD&D is the best, strangest era. Every PC knew what class they were, what level they were, what alignment they were, and all the rules pertaining to any of those, even in the novelizations.

This reminds me of one of my favorite stupid things. So, AD&D had the ASSASSIN class. And AD&D 2e...did not! Some settings - well, mostly Forgotten Realms by my memory - tried to make the edition change into an actual in-setting event, and as part of the event, all assassins died. Problem was, Forgotten Realms also had one Artemis Entreri, popular antagonist to Drizzt Do'Urden. And Artemis Entreri was, you guessed it, an assassin. So how'd they keep him from dying?

Simple. They argued that Artemis Entreri was not an assassin.

He was just someone who killed others for money.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite stupid things. So, AD&D had the ASSASSIN class. And AD&D 2e...did not! Some settings - well, mostly Forgotten Realms by my memory - tried to make the edition change into an actual in-setting event, and as part of the event, all assassins died. Problem was, Forgotten Realms also had one Artemis Entreri, popular antagonist to Drizzt Do'Urden. And Artemis Entreri was, you guessed it, an assassin. So how'd they keep him from dying?

Simple. They argued that Artemis Entreri was not an assassin.

That was literally the anecdote that started this line of discussion yes :thejoke:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Wasn't there also a Halfling Fighter that told everyone that she was a Paladin so often that her stupid strong faith turned her into a Fighter with bonus Paladin abilities?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

That was literally the anecdote that started this line of discussion yes :thejoke:
Was missing the amazing stinger though.

ProfessorCirno posted:

:allears:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I want to play in the game where "But I'm not an assassin! I'm a hired killer!" is somehow a big deal.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Arivia posted:

I legit missed this somehow.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

I want to play in the game where "But I'm not an assassin! I'm a hired killer!" is somehow a big deal.
Discworld RPG when

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Discworld RPG when

I'm glad that never happened, because it would never have done it justice

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm glad that never happened, because it would never have done it justice

There is one. It's GURPS.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I have a question about sentient weapons, specifically the one from the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen that characters can get. The sword stats say it is neutral evil. What happens if a good aligned character uses it? The DM manual isn't super clear on that. Can they still use it just fine and have to put up with a sword that tells them to kill poo poo for no reason? The character that will most likely end up with it is chaotic good, and this is my first go at DMing.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

There is one. It's GURPS.

No, no, Discworld is intentionally funny. I see where the confusion came from though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kruller posted:

I have a question about sentient weapons, specifically the one from the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen that characters can get. The sword stats say it is neutral evil. What happens if a good aligned character uses it? The DM manual isn't super clear on that. Can they still use it just fine and have to put up with a sword that tells them to kill poo poo for no reason? The character that will most likely end up with it is chaotic good, and this is my first go at DMing.
Unless it explicitly says otherwise yeah, they just won't get along. Though probably less kill poo poo for no reason and more present easy but morally questionable solutions to problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Darwinism posted:

No, no, Discworld is intentionally funny. I see where the confusion came from though

There legit is a Discworld GURPS. I must confess that I own a copy. I was young and didn't know any better.