Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anything funny in the Spanish dialogue from today's JL?

It's funny how broken it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I am constantly amazed how good Aquaman is. It's one of my top DC titles after Batman, Superman, and Detective.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, I think I've kinda turned around on Dark Matter.

I think I was mostly just disappointed that there wasn't any news about Legion, JSA, Shazam, or anything else. Now, I'm just kinda interested in a few titles that seem alright. Teriffics is probably going to be a standout title for me.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

Honestly, I think I've kinda turned around on Dark Matter.

I think I was mostly just disappointed that there wasn't any news about Legion, JSA, Shazam, or anything else. Now, I'm just kinda interested in a few titles that seem alright. Teriffics is probably going to be a standout title for me.

I'm still disappointed that we have no news on that front, but yeah I'm going to give Terrifics a read for a few issues. It seems really interesting to me.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I am constantly amazed how good Aquaman is. It's one of my top DC titles after Batman, Superman, and Detective.

There's been a huge quality spike since the Underworld story began and Sejic came on for a brief stint on the art. The new artist is still fantastic so I'm glad that side of things hasn't dipped.

Aquaman is easily in my top for Rebirth along with Green Arrow, Deathstroke and it looks like Priest on JL is gonna end up there too if he keeps this up. In all honesty I've found Rebirth incredibly underwhelming and safe so it's nice to start seeing some quality titles start to show up for me. Here's hoping Terrifics is great and I'm really hoping Lemire on Hawkman Found means a Lemire Hawkman run coming up later on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'm really hoping Lemire on Hawkman Found means a Lemire Hawkman run coming up later on.

H:F is a legit good story marred by Bryan Hitch's art.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

This was my favorite issue of Batman. It was so good!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They're starting to put their New Age of Heroes in the books for advertising purposes. Looking at the lineup, anyone else feel that they look like a lineup of parody comic, like what a 40 year old dude from the 1990s would think comics were like? They just don't look appealing. I might pick up the terrifics and sideways, but that's just because of like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man and they are blatant ripoffs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This was my favorite issue of Batman. It was so good!

It was wonderful.

Covok posted:

They're starting to put their New Age of Heroes in the books for advertising purposes. Looking at the lineup, anyone else feel that they look like a lineup of parody comic, like what a 40 year old dude from the 1990s would think comics were like? They just don't look appealing. I might pick up the terrifics and sideways, but that's just because of like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man and they are blatant ripoffs.

Damage #1 is pretty good. I'm about to read Silencer #1 so I'll let you know how that is shortly.

Edit: Silencer #1 is also not bad, I like the hook for #1. Sideways #1 is also pretty good but the b&w and watermarks made it harder to read.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 21, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

anyone else feel that they look like a lineup of parody comic, like what a 40 year old dude from the 1990s would think comics were like?

That's kinda the point.
It's (mostly art) guys from the 80's and 90's heading the comics (their names come before the writers) and not so secretly ripping at Marvel.
They introduced the line with a video called The Master Class with these middle aged guys introducing the characters, and this was after Axel Alonso made a statement about artists not driving comic sales.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's kinda the point.
It's (mostly art) guys from the 80's and 90's heading the comics (their names come before the writers) and not so secretly ripping at Marvel.
They introduced the line with a video called The Master Class with these middle aged guys introducing the characters, and this was after Axel Alonso made a statement about artists not driving comic sales.

I mean, what's the point? It seems a bit of a waste of time to just make a bunch of rip-off characters that probably won't sell. I mean I might be wrong, but I really have a lot of trouble looking at these covers and seeing big success. I could be wrong, and I'm not talking about the quality of the series, but I can't see any of these things flying off the shelves. They look, in many places, too much like a rip-off.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, The Terrifics had a little more of a point when it looked like Marvel were in no way interested in making a new F4 series.

Also, these were advertised as breaking out of Metal, but there's really only been vague mentions of the old Challengers and Immortal people. Not much springboarding with just two issues to go.

e: And when Doc's on Terrifics it's gonna look fresh as hell.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't read 4 yet, but I'm really not seeing what Metal has to do with the upcoming stuff at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I haven't read 4 yet, but I'm really not seeing what Metal has to do with the upcoming stuff at all.

As far as I've noticed:
Vandal Savage is gathering the immortal characters (Immortal Men), The Challengers of the Unknown's mountain base is what popped into Gotham after investigating the dark stuff. They're all dead, so (New Challengers,) Mr. Terrific and Plastic Man as an egg and hanging out with Hal (The Terrifics.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I probably just need to re-read it when it's over in one go for things to really click.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's been a long time since I've read a Batman comic that gave me the feels but this week's Batman gave me all the feels. I am seriously loving how King is writing the relationship and the interaction between Selina and Lois is superb. This is becoming my favourite Batman run, even more so than Snyder and possibly Morrison.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If they distanced this Return of Evil Tim-Batman story in Superman from the Det storyline by, like, a year, that might've been interesting, but just a month?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Seemed like they wanted to showing of the other Teen Titans. For some reason.

Superman's been very nice since Rebirth. It was weird having an issue that focused mostly on ex-Robin beating up Batman and Superman. Then in Super Sons drugging Lois and beating up more heroes.

Rather than calling it the Super Sons of Tomorrow spanning four issues of ongoings, they could have just made a four issue mini and not bothered people enjoying their regular comics. Maybe because they already have limited about an ex-Robin becoming an extremist. Good for Tim Drake fans, I guess, but I don't exactly read Superman and Super Sons (or anything else) for Tim Drake. I suppose that's always a complaint about events, though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
With the DC sale, I've been thinking of getting some trades of the Nu52 Detective Comics run, specifically the ones with Manapul's art and/or the Gordon Batman period. Are they at least decent?

SMP
May 5, 2009

The Manapul and Gordon Batman volumes are all boring as gently caress

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ah drat, I'll just get Pak's Action Comics run then!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Manapul needs something creator owned to get his writing legs. I've never been able to stick with any of his DC series.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I liked his Flash run. It wasn't by any means amazing but it was a solid run with great art and basically better than any Flash run that came after it and was certainly better than some of the Flash stuff that was immediately before it.

It really hurts to not have a good Flash comic in a while.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I tried Manapul's Flash and Detective Comics. His writing never impressed me (especially all his changes to the Rogues), but I love his art. I think he's one of the best artists working today, especially at DC throughout the New 52 era.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven't seen much of his modern stuff, but his Adventure Comics with Geoff Johns made my heart happy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Great interview with Lobdell about his work on RHATO.

Scott Lobdell posted:

I will say that, traditionally, in the past, readers of RHATO and Red Hood/Arsenal can notice where stories were set-up and set-up and set-up, only to have the conclusion of the story go careening off the tracks. I can say that there have been many times where I’ve started a story and someone from upstairs decreed that a particular plot thread had to be dropped, or a whole other plot thread needed to be added, or an entire story arc had to be gutted in the middle of the story. Those times have been very frustrating for me—but as a professional writer of some thirty years, I’ve always felt that part of the profession means that I need to turn in the story the editor/publisher wants and not always the story I want to write, or begin, or end.

Similarly, when an editor says “you need more narration here to explain what is going on” or “we would prefer you write third-person omnipresent because so many of our books are written first-person” or “we want you to use thought balloons on this title, but not thought balloons on that title,” then that is what I do, because that is what I’m asked to do.

This actually explains a lot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Manapul not just because of his art, but also because he's half-Filipino. There's a good number of Filipino artists working for Marvel/DC, hope they do some creator-owned stuff too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I haven't seen much of his modern stuff, but his Adventure Comics with Geoff Johns made my heart happy.

That book was so good.

Speaking of abandoned Johns ideas, I was thinking today that I'd love to see them do something with the spectrum of rings again. Maybe go balls out and launch a Blue Corps ongoing or a Star Sapphire book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Schneider Heim posted:

I like Manapul not just because of his art, but also because he's half-Filipino. There's a good number of Filipino artists working for Marvel/DC, hope they do some creator-owned stuff too.

That has historical precedent, DC and Marvel recruited a lot of artists from the Filipino comics community in the 70s. Artists like Alfredo Alcala, Tony DeZuniga, Ernie Chan and Nestor Redondo.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

So is Michael Cray's mini-series going to just be him taking out the Wildstorm's versions of the Justice League? Really weak poo poo.

with some weird added race element. i thought it was just his dad in the earlier issues then i saw cray's all-black hit squad and thought hmmmmmm where is this going (cray himself hadn't indicated he shared any of his dad's views). maybe it'll pay off with bendix's racism and not feel so strangely tacked on.

speaking of which... new main Wild Storm series issue was an okay lull . not as good as many of the others. bendix being far too jokey continues to irritate me. particularly jarring given i'm also reading ellis' stormwatch run where bendix becomes downright reptilian as he goes nuts. which leads me to the one thing that did get a chuckle out of me in this issue: when bendix reveals what he's after with one thing he's doing after some espionage and plotting talk to be alien reptilians. of course he's talking daemonites and tying them into the reptoid conspiracy theories makes a lot of sense but i didn't see it coming.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 22, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't want to read a Scott Lobdell interview that isn't him admitting being a sexual harassing piece of poo poo

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Blockhouse posted:

I don't want to read a Scott Lobdell interview that isn't him admitting being a sexual harassing piece of poo poo

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

That book was so good.

Speaking of abandoned Johns ideas, I was thinking today that I'd love to see them do something with the spectrum of rings again. Maybe go balls out and launch a Blue Corps ongoing or a Star Sapphire book.

I recently moved, and put my box of Johns Green Lantern up to Blackest Night in my closet, ready for a first reread this winter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sideways preview:
http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/434995
It's millennial, livestreaming Spiderman 100%. They're not pretending one iota.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That book was so good.

Yeah I for one would like the Blue Lanterns to finally be an actual Corps and not just one dude. They constantly get the shaft.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I recently moved, and put my box of Johns Green Lantern up to Blackest Night in my closet, ready for a first reread this winter.

This is a good move. I'll be bagging, boarding, and organizing stuff this weekend and I'll probably end up reading some old stuff. Pretty excited.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is the Bizarro mini (2015) good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sure, if you like silly jokey stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What issue of Batman did the thing with Salina start, I think the double date finally convinced me to pick it up

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Neurosis posted:

with some weird added race element. i thought it was just his dad in the earlier issues then i saw cray's all-black hit squad and thought hmmmmmm where is this going (cray himself hadn't indicated he shared any of his dad's views). maybe it'll pay off with bendix's racism and not feel so strangely tacked on.

They may be using his father against him in this but it's not exactly a weird race element. Hector Morales was Powerhaus from DV8, Leon Carver Frostbite from the same crew. Victoria Ngengi was Flint, from Stormwatch and later Stormwatch: PHD.

quote:

speaking of which... new main Wild Storm series issue was an okay lull . not as good as many of the others. bendix being far too jokey continues to irritate me. particularly jarring given i'm also reading ellis' stormwatch run where bendix becomes downright reptilian as he goes nuts. which leads me to the one thing that did get a chuckle out of me in this issue: when bendix reveals what he's after with one thing he's doing after some espionage and plotting talk to be alien reptilians. of course he's talking daemonites and tying them into the reptoid conspiracy theories makes a lot of sense but i didn't see it coming.

Yes, they're apparently doing a particularly good job at hiding. Also they don't seem to be about destroying the kherans. I'm wondering if they're going with the New 52 thing, where they've established Earth as a nest and are trying to protect humanity because they've bred with them and are waiting for a genetic bounty to come forth.

I'd have really liked the reveal about Cray to come in his own issue, but I suppose it's a justified conceit that anyone reading Cray is also reading Wild Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

What issue of Batman did the thing with Salina start, I think the double date finally convinced me to pick it up

You want the I Am Suicide trade, #24 and ongoing from #33, incl. Annual #2.

Her answering his proposal is at the end of 'The War of Jokes and Riddles.' Each issue is framed with them in bed and Bruce relaying the storyline to her, but it's not really a substantial part if you're not interested in anything else.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 22, 2017