Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Robin hood is very thematically relevant to modern times

They're at least attempting to do something with that:

quote:

“You don’t become a legend for 800 years if you’ve just stolen a few bags of money from rich people to give to the poor. In my mind, Robin Hood was this sort of seriously militarized anarchist revolutionary, a freedom thinker and a truth seeker. And the more I got into the story, it just became startling how utterly relevant it is to what’s going on in society now.”

But it sounds pretty dumb. I think a super straightforward tale of a wealthy Sir Robin of Locksley realizing that all the serfs are living in abject poverty while his fellow aristocracy gets rich and giving up his fortune to go steal "a few bags of money from the rich" sounds like the sort of tale that people should see these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

maybe the movie will surprise, but the title "robin hood origins" conjures up the image of that king arthur movie that bombed this year and dreck like it. it sounds like another copy-paste, desaturated fantasy action film that will be forgotten almost immediately after its release.

i will be shocked if there is any coherent political message.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Origins is the new Revelations subtitle that means absolutely nothing and indicates the product will be a 3 out of 5 at best.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

Robin hood is very thematically relevant to modern times

No we've actually done a lot to destigmatize homosexuality.

The JO crystal charging scene should be pretty intense.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Has there ever been a Robin Hood movie that was just a heist movie? Seems like a missed opportunity if not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dirksteadfast posted:

Has there ever been a Robin Hood movie that was just a heist movie? Seems like a missed opportunity if not.

This was what I was going to mention earlier. Heist movie + arrows and swords and castles and poo poo + a heartwarming 'eat the rich' message for all to enjoy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobok posted:

I dunno, stealing from the rich sounds really loving compelling these days. Where's Robin Hood when you need him?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

This was what I was going to mention earlier. Heist movie + arrows and swords and castles and poo poo + a heartwarming 'eat the rich' message for all to enjoy.

Sounds like it would really be in Guy Ritchie's wheelhouse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I think a super straightforward tale of a wealthy Sir Robin of Locksley realizing that all the serfs are living in abject poverty while his fellow aristocracy gets rich and giving up his fortune to go steal "a few bags of money from the rich" sounds like the sort of tale that people should see these days.
A truly freethinking Robin Hood would've looked for smart solutions that allow everyone to benefit through entrepreneurial initiatives!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Robin Hood: Origins has potential with modern day relevance but there is no way they aren't going to screw it up badly. But maybe, just maybe.... We'd need to see more than a few stills to know, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember how the last Robin Hood movie was also an origin story except for some reason they cast loving almost 50 year old Russell Crowe?

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Let me elaborate. If Robin Hood really did address institutional inequity that'd be fantastic, but I'm almost certain it'll be "John/Sheriff is a bad guy. We just need the right kind of king/billionaire in charge to fix everything!" type American exceptionalism nonsense

My evidence for them going down the hack route is, again, the "Origins".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

muscles like this! posted:

Remember how the last Robin Hood movie was also an origin story except for some reason they cast loving almost 50 year old Russell Crowe?

I never saw it but remember a few of the reviews said it borrowed stuff from the tea party which just sounded bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thundercracker posted:

Let me elaborate. If Robin Hood really did address institutional inequity that'd be fantastic, but I'm almost certain it'll be "John/Sheriff is a bad guy. We just need the right kind of king/billionaire in charge to fix everything!" type American exceptionalism nonsense

My evidence for them going down the hack route is, again, the "Origins".

They kinda tried this in the Russell Crowe one. They tied in his origin with the Magna Carta so instead of stealing bags of gold from just one naughty sheriff he was basically trying to reform the entire system of monarchy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It was the prequel for Robin and Marian.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I try not to.

The whole Magna Carta, ah hell gently caress it Bill of Rights poo poo just took me right out.

The crusade bits were fun though because nothing is as funny as a crusade gone wrong.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

how many movies are already planned for the robin hood origins expanded universe?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only good part was Oscar Isaac and the hat wobble.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

QuoProQuid posted:

how many movies are already planned for the robin hood origins expanded universe?

Gonna need at least a few prequels of English folk heroes to properly lead up to the MCU's introduction of Captain Britain.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Robin Hood vs Ivanhoe.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I try not to.

The whole Magna Carta, ah hell gently caress it Bill of Rights poo poo just took me right out.

Don't see why? The Magna Carta happened when Prince John became King.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The last two Robin Hood movies have included a hefty amount of origin, just start the drat thing in media res.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Throbbin' Wood

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A Robin Hood movie would be pretty applicable to the current times, but to be honest I'd rather just skip right past that and get to a good French Revolution movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

A Robin Hood movie would be pretty applicable to the current times, but to be honest I'd rather just skip right past that and get to a good French Revolution movie.

90 minutes of tech CEOs and finance dickheads getting the guillotine one after the other? I'd watch it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has a Robin Hood movie ever had arrows hit the centre of the O's before one arrow flies in from the side and shatters the whole title card into a million splinters to reveal a high-octane chase and heist scene in progress where a bunch of Merry Men on horses do a sick takedown of a convoy of royal, gold-laden buggies and cavalry all set to the tune of a chart-topping soca club anthem?

Oh.
Ok, well I guess I'll just watch Fast Five again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Those of you wondering about God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, wonder no more! An evil state-run university sues a church!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepZ-nrPA-w

The trailer makes me think movie of the week which probably is enough to elevate it beyond the elf sherlock movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now more than ever, Robin Hood should have a Muslim sidekick again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The last two Robin Hood movies have included a hefty amount of origin, just start the drat thing in media res.

It’s the superhero problem. How many times do I need to see Peter Parker get bit by that drat spider?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

When was the last French Revolution movie? The only thing I can think of is Coppola’s Marie Antoinette movie.

Not counting Les Mis because it’s the wrong revolution

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Taintrunner posted:

90 minutes of tech CEOs and finance dickheads getting the guillotine one after the other? I'd watch it.

Even a few years ago Ubisoft had to quietly cancel-re-start from the ground up (and eventually they just gave up and cancelled) the game Rainbow Six: Patriots because the terrorist group was executing a bunch of wealthy CEOs in the promotional trailer for taking money from the people and many folks assumed the terrorists were the good guys one would be playing as because of that. They're so weak for not just rolling with it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Robin Hood movie but it's set in the 70s and Robin and his gang are a far-left urban guerrilla group.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Robin Hood gets shot in his bed by the FBI.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Halloween Jack posted:

Robin Hood gets shot in his bed by the FBI.

Obviously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not too familiar with the Robin Hood stories, but isn't the character a veteran from a middle eastern war who comes home to find the government imposed too many taxes?

I'm not certain the character is an anti-conservative as he's been hyped to be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well since you brought it up...Robin Hood gets linked to the Magna Carta, and in the 17th century there was a revival of interest in the Magna Carta as a primitive declaration of individual rights. But it wasn't really a democratic document.

That said, you're never going to see a pseudo-historical Hollywood film that doesn't project :911: values backward onto people who just wanted to be ruled by someone of the same religion and ethnicity as they.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's pretty funny how Richard the Lionheart, who is generally portrayed in Robin Hood stories as being the Good King in opposition to the incompetent or even tyrannical King John and has sort of been canonized as being one of the best English kings, spent maybe six months in England during his reign and probably barely spoke a word of (Middle) English. Since he was quite into crusading and basically all of his most valuable holdings were in the French part of his kingdom where he was born and raised.

e:
I think the oldest versions of the story we have actually have it set during the reign of Edward I (the badguy from Braveheart) so we could theoretically get a Braveheart/Robin Hood crossover. Or maybe it was one of the other Edwards, there was a few.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 21, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked the book that recast the story as him being a Saxon noble forced into outlaw by William the Conqueror. I think it was just called Sherwood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As much of a mess as Scott's Robin Hood was it's portrayal of King Richard is probably the most accurate one an adaptation is ever going to have. Getting shot by a cook, dying in France, and not showing up at the end of the story because he's dead. It wasn't really a cook who killed him, just a guy shielding himself fron arrows with a piece or cookware, but close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What was that British show where Marian ran the rebellion and Robin was a dopey mascot?

• Locked thread