Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sassassin posted:

Only Nintendo and two or three other big publishers are capable of paying for that kind of development cycle for a game, and they would only do so for a guaranteed slam dunk in an established IP.

You're not wrong, and that was probably an unfair comparison. But it's still a standard to be aspired to, as opposed to "you liked our neat idea? you trusted us to deliver? thanks! here's... something, because Christmas or internal feuding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

sassassin posted:

Only Nintendo and two or three other big publishers are capable of paying for that kind of development cycle for a game, and they would only do so for a guaranteed slam dunk in an established IP.

I guess my response to that would be "...and?". I'd rather have less games that are well-funded and polished than being able to have access to thousands of small early release games where maybe a handful are any good after the initial gimmick wears off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I guess my response to that would be "...and?". I'd rather have less games that are well-funded and polished than being able to have access to thousands of small early release games where maybe a handful are any good after the initial gimmick wears off.

People have always cranked out bad games; there just didn't use to be so god damned many of them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

You don't have to buy them all.

I don't play many games but the ones I have enjoyed over the last couple of years have almost all been early access or massively improved via patching and dlc that wouldn't have been possible with the old restrictive business model that shackled the mainstream industry for so long.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Yeah this kind of explains my stance better. Maybe you get "less" and there might be some bugs, but they still managed to make games like morrowind that were very expansive and while there were some (hilarious) bugs, it's the kind of game I could play again and again without changing anything. They did eventually release expansions that made it better, but they (and the mods so many people are obsessed with on the PC versions) weren't necessary to make it a great game.

Morrowind is a bad example because it was basically the Jesus of video games. We shall not see its like again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

All complaints about the video game industry seem really dumb and petty to me. You know you can just not buy them, right?

Don't like lootboxes? Don't buy games that have them. Don't like pay-to-win games? Don't play them. Don't like early access? Don't buy early access games. Don't like paying $60+ for games? Wait till they inevitably go on sale.

If you don't like the product, don't pay money for it. I get that it's disappointing if a product you'd looked forward to ends up not being what you wanted, but no one's forcing you to buy it. You're no worse off than you were when that product didn't exist at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

All complaints about the video game industry seem really dumb and petty to me. You know you can just not buy them, right?

:rolleyes: So just because something is optional that means we can't complain about the direction it is heading? People do it all the time whether it's movies, games, books, or even non-entertainment things like cars, computers, software at work etc. Yes, there's an option just to not use the thing you don't like, but what value is there in saying that? Are we not allowed to have opinions?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The issue there isn't that they can refuse to buy the games or not, but that everyone else (including the people they disagree with) gets to do the same thing, and their "side" (for lack of a better term) comes up lacking.

They don't really hate lootboxes, pay-to-win, or early-access games. They hate that despite not liking them, most other folks either like (or give no shits) about those things.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Dec 21, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

You know that most things are a mix of good and bad and that chucking everything out that has a flaw would lead to a dull life right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:rolleyes: So just because something is optional that means we can't complain about the direction it is heading? People do it all the time whether it's movies, games, books, or even non-entertainment things like cars, computers, software at work etc. Yes, there's an option just to not use the thing you don't like, but what value is there in saying that? Are we not allowed to have opinions?
Sure, but it's not like there aren't other options. No one has a monopoly on video games. The complaints about loot boxes or whatever always seem to have this tone of "every game is like this now and video games are ruined forever." Just play other games. There are still other games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, most complaints about modern gaming boil down to "I bought a non-Nintendo system"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, most complaints about modern gaming boil down to "I bought a non-Nintendo system"

Sony generally doesn't have any of that poo poo in their first party games, Uncharted 4 being an exception but that only affects online and it's mostly cosmetic stuff you can earn by playing.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lol. Its pretty easy to avoid buggy games or lootboxes when you have no multiplayer scene and about 4 good games a year , if that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

patonthebach posted:

Lol. Its pretty easy to avoid buggy games or lootboxes when you have no multiplayer scene and about 4 good games a year , if that.

no multiplayer scene? boy thats some bait right there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who get really into the christmas tradition stuff as adults when there aren't children around to entertain are weird as hell. Last night was an adults-only christmas eve dinner thing and the hosts forced everyone to sing christmas songs together and I was wishing I was dead. If you try and resist they'll just start calling you a "grinch" and pouting so you have to go along with it or look like a dick. I feel the same way about forced "games" at parties that nobody wants to play. Just let people talk and eat naturally, you don't need to force interaction with lame activities.

e: at least provide alcohol if you're going to have that kind of party

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Dec 25, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why would you attend a party you don't want to attend?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

moths posted:

Why would you attend a party you don't want to attend?

Family obligation. You have never been dragged to a party you'd rather not go to?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, that wasn't clear - Makes sense.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moths posted:

Why would you attend a party you don't want to attend without alcohol?

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 25, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The star wars prequels are better than the new Disney movies.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Pastry of the Year posted:

People have always cranked out bad games; there just didn't use to be so god damned many of them.

What do you think caused the 1983 crash?

There has always been shovelware. How many NES games do you have strong positive memories of, versus how many games were there actually?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dross posted:

What do you think caused the 1983 crash?

There has always been shovelware. How many NES games do you have strong positive memories of, versus how many games were there actually?

According to the Google, there were 714 officially released games on the NES.

I can't actually find a total number of games on the iPhone, but it looks like the number would be somewhere in the hundreds of thousands

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

According to the Google, there were 714 officially released games on the NES.

I can't actually find a total number of games on the iPhone, but it looks like the number would be somewhere in the hundreds of thousands

Officially released in the West. There were hundreds more in Japan and a couple hundred unlicensed ones. And the whole “Nintendo seal of quality” thing arose specifically because the consumer had lost faith in the quality of video games in general because the market had been so saturated by slapdash games and reverse engineered clones.

There’s a whole subculture on Twitch built around forcing oneself to play terrible NES hackjobs.

In fact the biggest difference between then and now is that middleware and free assets exist so what we consider a bad game today is still much better than the bad games of yesteryear.

Dross has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Dec 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dross posted:

Officially released in the West. There were hundreds more in Japan and a couple hundred unlicensed ones. And the whole “Nintendo seal of quality” thing arose specifically because the consumer had lost faith in the quality of video games in general because the market had been so saturated by slapdash games and reverse engineered clones.

There’s a whole subculture on Twitch built around forcing oneself to play terrible NES hackjobs.

In fact the biggest difference between then and now is that middleware and free assets exist so what we consider a bad game today is still much better than the bad games of yesteryear.

None of those things you just said are arguments against the position that there are more bad games now than their were in the past

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

None of those things you just said are arguments against the position that there are more bad games now than their were in the past

In terms of pure numbers, I guess. But not really in terms of how much of the market they account for. You have more exposure to them now due to things like greenlight and there no longer being limited shelf space to display them, so online storefronts aren’t forced to pick the ones they have the most faith in to even carry.

Though they still choose those to display front and center.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Keep in mind a shovelware NES game would have cost the equivalent of like 100 bux now, whereas a shovelware iPhone game ranges between free and a few dollars for the most part so it's not really comparable.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Dec 26, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a really strong opinion (I'll explain why), but I can't shake the belief that a decent amount of people coming out as nonbinary/genderqueer/genderfluid/whatever are going to backtrack somehow, down the line.

On one hand, such an opinion reeks of "oh you're not X, X is just a phase", which is gross, and I'm pretty sure I feel this way because I'm just not able to wrap my head around that stuff. On the other hand, most hippies eventually became the suit-and-tie folks they were rebelling against, just as every generation eventually becomes The Man said generation railed against.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Not a really strong opinion (I'll explain why), but I can't shake the belief that a decent amount of people coming out as nonbinary/genderqueer/genderfluid/whatever are going to backtrack somehow, down the line.

On one hand, such an opinion reeks of "oh you're not X, X is just a phase", which is gross, and I'm pretty sure I feel this way because I'm just not able to wrap my head around that stuff. On the other hand, most hippies eventually became the suit-and-tie folks they were rebelling against, just as every generation eventually becomes The Man said generation railed against.

This is one of those iffy subjects that I think doesn't have an easy answer because humans are humans and we can all be not... solidified in who we are. I had a boyfriend who went from being a straight guy who asked me, a gay guy out, to telling me he thought he was female and straight, to telling me he thought he was female and lesbian, to telling me he thought he was straight and male again. This happened over like the span of 5 months. It was not an easy thing for me to wrap my head around but he was having a pretty rough time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Games like Super Mario Bros. 3 are full of bugs and glitches, the game is just simple so there’s no stack of complex systems that can lead to the game breaking.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nintendo’s DLC is the most overpriced and lacking of the 3.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

MisterBibs posted:

That's because the real hippies died of STDs, drugs and suicide, so mostly only the fake ones were left to reveal their true colors.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

That's because the real hippies died of STDs, drugs and suicide, so mostly only the fake ones were left to reveal their true colors.

You either die a rebel, or live long enough to see yourself become The Man.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Bill Burr isn't funny.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Bill Burr isn't funny.

Kill yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Wow rude

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bill Burr is going to get eaten by his pit bull.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The death of your juvenile dreams is a good thing. The realization that this is it more or less, it's not gonna get much better. In fact, it's probably only gonna get worse, as old age and infirmity get closer and closer. This right here is your life, so if you want to do something, better do it as soon as possible. Do not plan for retirement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, my parents are loving retirement. They say they're having more fun now than they were in their 20's, and they partied it up pretty good in their 20's. Example: I was conceived in a car after a Jimmy Buffet concert.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I actually like MMMBop. Unironically. I can see why people find it a nothing song or annoying, but I think it's catchy.

(Yes, I grew up in the '90s)

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Bloodletting is fine and you do to you what you want. Being attacked or having your control over you taken away is always evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One More Try by George Michael is a really good song.