Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

25th Anniversary Masters should just be Alpha, all the way down to missing Circle of Protection:Black, and Island in the rare slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

But seriously, why is Iconic Masters even a product when they have another Masters set coming out in less than three loving months which as far as I can tell, is the exact same poo poo except different cards.

Iconic Masters doesn't even make sense. Nothing in it was Iconic at all. It was just random cards that they thought should be reprinted in $10 packs. It could have been named "Arbitratry Reprints 2017" and the theme could have been almost identical.

channel is pretty iconic

beyond that ... mana drain?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

But seriously, why is Iconic Masters even a product when they have another Masters set coming out in less than three loving months which as far as I can tell, is the exact same poo poo except different cards.

Iconic Masters doesn't even make sense. Nothing in it was Iconic at all. It was just random cards that they thought should be reprinted in $10 packs. It could have been named "Arbitratry Reprints 2017" and the theme could have been almost identical.

it's called "iconic masters" because it has a bunch of angels, sphinxes, demons, dragons, and hydras in it, and those are the iconics for each color

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

BUT MANA DRAIN

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

it's called "iconic masters" because it has a bunch of angels, sphinxes, demons, dragons, and hydras in it, and those are the iconics for each color

so it's a name that only makes sense if you read Maro's blog

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lone Goat posted:

25th Anniversary Masters should just be Alpha, all the way down to missing Circle of Protection:Black, and Island in the rare slot.

And the weird rounded off corners.

Count Bleck posted:

BUT MANA DRAIN

less iconic than literally just counterspell

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lone Goat posted:

Price of Volcanic Islands skyrocket.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

so it's a name that only makes sense if you read Maro's blog

quote:

dawritowins said
Is lightning bolt Iconic? That is a dumb question. The answer is Yes, clearly. The real question is why does WotC not think so? (Because it is not in Iconic Masters)

MaRo replied
Okay, I’ve been convinced. Iconic Masters was the wrong name for the product.

quote:

So, looking back, do you feel you should have named Iconic Masters something akin to "Tribal Masters"?

MaRo replied
The clear lesson was “Iconic” was the wrong word.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Haha holy poo poo.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I made a thing for a buddy for christmas, but since it's MTG stuff I figured I'd share. :)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

they look good but gently caress tron

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

And the weird rounded off corners

Please print all new cards like this. Put Beta purists in their place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I cracked a Vial in the one Iconic Masters pack that I opened so it gets an A+ from me.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

I cracked a Vial in the one Iconic Masters pack that I opened so it gets an A+ from me.

The two Eternal Masters packs I opened had Argonian Enchantress, a foil Blood Artist, and Jace the Mind Sculptor but I still think that set was poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lone Goat posted:

Just reprint Limited Edition with no changes whatsoever. It doesn’t violate the Reserved List. They just resumed production of the original set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

The two Eternal Masters packs I opened had Argonian Enchantress, a foil Blood Artist, and Jace the Mind Sculptor but I still think that set was poo poo.

EMA was great though.

Angry Grimace posted:

Just reprint Limited Edition with no changes whatsoever. It doesn’t violate the Reserved List. They just resumed production of the original set.

Unlimited says its print run right in the name.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

EMA was great though.

Unlimited says its print run right in the name.

lol Like Wizards wants to pay those artists.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Reanimate in the Cube: cool and good

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

lol Like Wizards wants to pay those artists.

They presumably just paid them for the VMA redo so :shrug: And if you think Really Actually Unlimited wouldn't be the biggest selling set ever, you're high.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I didn't even come close to dropping a game with that reanimate cube deck, easy 3-0.

Funniest moments:

1) Opponent concedes on Turn 2 to Animate Dead ---> Grave Titan
2) Opponent casts Force of Will on a Thoughtseize targetting myself on Turn 2
3) Opponent tries to avoid lethal from Corpse Dance (put top creature on battlefield, gets haste until end then sac), so he casts Brain Freeze. Mill 6, put Grave Titan on top.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow maro sure is being a baby about people not being super stoked about the EV on their seventy two dollar packs of magic cards. i might feel some sympathy for him if the entire purpose of the set wasnt to sell forty dollar drafts.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the "____ masters" poo poo being made to be a ~draftable set!~ is the most unbearable nakedly greedy garbage ever. i absolutely guarantee it was the result of sitting down and saying "okay how can we reprint SOME stuff while still justifying having Keiga take up a mythic slot and putting nickel uncommons in packs"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

the "____ masters" poo poo being made to be a ~draftable set!~ is the most unbearable nakedly greedy garbage ever. i absolutely guarantee it was the result of sitting down and saying "okay how can we reprint SOME stuff while still justifying having Keiga take up a mythic slot and putting nickel uncommons in packs"

Literally every set they've made since like, Mirage, has been designed for the packs to be drafted. There was never a "should we make it draftable?" conversation for any ______ Masters set, because packs of random cards that aren't explicitly designed for Limited play is something that they haven't done since about 1996.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They released a set in 2004 where the intended way to play was to open the packs and chuckle.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey man, putting fifty cent mythics in the ten dollar pack isnt something they WANTED to, they had to. its the law, its been that way since the economy was printed on the stone tablets in 1994

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Especially when 1/3 of the X Masters sets haven't actually been draftable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Jesus Christ, you people are some whiny fuckers.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reprint Alpha

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Personally I love paying $10 for a pack and opening a *opens pack* Void. With really horrible art.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

A comic store near my apartment has a small collection of Magic products for sale and still has EMA packs available. For $15 a pop :signings:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

You've posted in this thread nearly 300 times, are you just now realizing this?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
personally i don't buy packs in the hopes of getting anything good because the vast majority of the time there's a negative ROI on them

just buy singles if you're not drafting you dorks

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

suicidesteve posted:

Personally I love paying $10 for a pack and opening a *opens pack* Void. With really horrible art.
then don't buy it, my dude.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Void rules, but it needs to be in Standard again to really assert it.

Still with laser robot art, natch.

It costs 5 which is waaaay too much in eternal formats, and removal down there is so efficient that Void isn't really going to blow anyone's mind anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the mecha void art is soooo good, and i hate wizards for changing it bc of branding or whatever

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Matsuri posted:

personally i don't buy packs in the hopes of getting anything good because the vast majority of the time there's a negative ROI on them

just buy singles if you're not drafting you dorks

I just like to open one pack of every set that comes up, be it in a draft or as a lotto ticket, just to look and say "oh that's what's going on these days".

I've had pretty good luck with Masters sets (Mox Opal in my one MM15 pack, Damnation Goblin Guide in my one MM17 draft, Vial in my one IMA pack) and poo poo luck with everything else, which I guess is better than the other way around.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Remember kids, the only good Magic player is a dead one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You've posted in this thread nearly 300 times, are you just now realizing this?

No. But, I've hit the point where I felt it necessary to make a uselessly pithy statement about it because holy gently caress! :negative:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I just like to open one pack of every set that comes up, be it in a draft or as a lotto ticket, just to look and say "oh that's what's going on these days".

I've had pretty good luck with Masters sets (Mox Opal in my one MM15 pack, Damnation Goblin Guide in my one MM17 draft, Vial in my one IMA pack) and poo poo luck with everything else, which I guess is better than the other way around.

Yeah. I buy a pack every time I go to fnm as a way to support the store (their singles are lacking so I buy online mostly). I know it's a waste of cash but it's a nice way to be sure they're not paying processing fees on my $5 entry fee when I charge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Oh, I don't see any issue opening a pack just for the hell of it-- you're paying more for the experience of a random chance rather than anything inside the pack. Even I do that sometimes, just for the fun of opening a pack. But if you're opening packs on a gamble of getting a big money card, you're ultimately wasting your money more often than not. Better to just buy the single than spend money on a small chance of getting it.