Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

big time bisexual posted:

here's another company that likes to see employees slap the poo poo out of each other

https://a.pomfe.co/gdyzje.mp4

I think this is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

oohhboy posted:

I think the mainlander in the computer shop tried to China me in New Zealand.
Could have been worse, he could have sold you a five piece suit.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

I'm so glad that I don't have to work in the tourism sector.
It's interesting to see how the stereotypes compare internationally. In Sweden it's this:

Chinese: annoying about food but otherwise ok and spend a shitload of money.
Russian: complete assholes but once in a while you get one that will spend the GDP of a small country so it's worth it.
US: loud and annoying but think you need to tip in Sweden so it's fine.
UK: either posh bastards or the worst gang of young men you've ever seen.
Germans: rich and insane about anything "typically swedish".

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Doesn't she know that Chinese biology is different?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...219-h075ma.html

"I was just horrified. I thought, 'My God, what have I found'," said Professor Byrne, head of the Children's Cancer Research Unit at the Children's Hospital Westmead and University of Sydney academic.

The professor of molecular oncology had turned science sleuth, identifying a total of 48 papers published in scientific journals sharing uncanny similarities, flaws and mismatched data all by independent researchers in China.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Hedenius posted:

In Norway, they have a strange fixation on elks (Alces Alces, not Cervus Canadensis), including stealing the signs warning motorists to look out for them crossing the road. Presumably they do that kind of nonsense in Sweden as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kopijeger posted:

In Norway, they have a strange fixation on elks (Alces Alces, not Cervus Canadensis), including stealing the signs warning motorists to look out for them crossing the road. Presumably they do that kind of nonsense in Sweden as well.

Sweden’s moose sign is better, so if they don’t, they lack taste.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why Germans never wear sunscreen when they travel is beyond me. You start recognizing them straight off by the lovely, beefy magenta color they become.
You're confusing us with british people. Germans are usually very health conscious and actually make a big deal about using suncreen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

We learned to capitalize on it and sell moose droppings that have been epoxy sealed or cast in resin to german tourists.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Kopijeger posted:

Guilty on all counts, except stealing road signs.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why Germans never wear sunscreen when they travel is beyond me. You start recognizing them straight off by the lovely, beefy magenta color they become.

oh god when i was on an island a few months ago there were tons of highschool/university students waiting at a bus stop near a beach, and there was this one guy that was 50x more sunburned that anyone else, to the extent that I was thinking "this guy is going to be crying from pain in his hotel room tonight" and as I walked by I heard him speaking german

had no idea this was A Thing

Lollerich posted:

You're confusing us with british people. Germans are usually very health conscious and actually make a big deal about using suncreen.

While I'm not sure about that, definitely nasal spray, eyedrops, and hand sanitizer!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Platystemon posted:

Sweden’s moose sign is better, so if they don’t, they lack taste.

Just went and googled this to compare to Alaska's and drat if you aren't right.

I think Canada wins, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lollerich posted:

I've seen the Teutonic glow, and no mistake.

But, yes, British people do the same.

So wear loving sunscreen, everybody!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Great Autismo! posted:

you should hit up my ex, she got divorced like two years ago and is looking

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I've seen the Teutonic glow, and no mistake.

But, yes, British people do the same.

So wear loving sunscreen, everybody!

Chemical free.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Revulsion?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
China's embassy in Canberra has issued a public safety warning for Chinese students living in Australia due to "a rising number of insulting incidents".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

China's embassy in Canberra has issued a public safety warning for Chinese students living in Australia due to "a rising number of insulting incidents".

Call the embassy! Someone drank a cold beverage right at me!!!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Call the embassy! Someone drank a cold beverage right at me!!!

Struth, it is 40 degrees tho.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
3 years in the desert cured my wife of the "hot water, all the time" thing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/jow_yuzo/status/943312943688466433

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Teaching here, I've noticed HK Chinese students hold pencils differently to UK people

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mods change my name to Morsel Gripper

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

simplefish posted:

Teaching here, I've noticed HK Chinese students hold pencils differently to UK people

and , u know that because we Chinese use chopstick to eat 。it make holding pencil difference as well ,. 。we should follow the example of Great Thinker Xi and promote harmony and unity under the leadership of the Party 。

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Hedenius posted:

It's interesting to see how the stereotypes compare internationally. In Sweden it's this:

Chinese: annoying about food but otherwise ok and spend a shitload of money.
Russian: complete assholes but once in a while you get one that will spend the GDP of a small country so it's worth it.
US: loud and annoying but think you need to tip in Sweden so it's fine.
UK: either posh bastards or the worst gang of young men you've ever seen.

Chinese: On a mad dash through europe, just passing through by the truckload.
Russian: used to be loud yelling noveau rich assholes but since the oligarchs bought out everything, everything got more quiet and the rabble moved elsewhere.
US: Geriatric groups with these weird sunglasses that cover the sides of their heads, shitfuckcunt stupid conversations that make you wish you didn't understand their language.
UK: Rude, drunk and shockingly primitive package tourists in the mountains.
Netherlands: Almost worse than the UK
Swedes: Drinking like crazy, but mostly moved to CZ and SK for their binges. Sometimes they get lost on the way to Bratislava
Germans: Working in the tourism sector here.
Italians: Always loud, blocking the escalators and oblivious to other pedestrians.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The only Russian tourists I've ever seen we're in South East Asia and they stuck out like a sore thumb. Speedos, gold chains, pale white skin, lots of money.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Kharnifex posted:

Speedos, gold chains, pale white skin, lots of money.

Lyrics to "Sharp Dressed Slav."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Australian government and media has contributed to an air that seems to tolerate violent behavior that the country is also failing to pay enough attention to, Zhou Fangyin, a professor with the Guangdong Research Institute for International Strategies, told the Global Times.

An attack on a foreigner with a legal identity is not only dangerous, but also illegal, and should be punished seriously in accordance with law, Xu Liping, a research fellow on Southeast Asian affairs at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times. "It concerns the legal construction in Australia, as well as reducing setbacks for bilateral relations," Xu noted.

As of June 2016, Chinese made up the third largest group of immigrants in Australia, following the UK and New Zealand, according to data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in March. Meanwhile, five out of the top 10 largest immigrant groups in Australia are from Asian countries, the data shows.

Australia needs immigrants from Asian countries as they make huge contributions to the development of local communities, but this has made some locals feel uncomfortable, said Zhou.

If Australia stops receiving Asian immigrants, the country's population will drop rapidly to a degree that the country's development cannot afford, Zhou noted.

Extremely violent behavior toward Chinese is also seen in some Western countries, including the US, France and Spain, which shows the Western community's panic and anxiety toward a rising China and its influence on the global order, said Xu. Facing the unknown, the community has chosen rejection as its spontaneous response, Xu added.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Racism towards asians barely exists beyond "why in the gently caress do all the resorts put them first"

Australians only hate you if you look muslim (ie indian)

We do need immigrants to sustain our growth, we're trending towards a negative birth rate

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

underage at the vape shop posted:

Racism towards asians barely exists beyond "why in the gently caress do all the resorts put them first"

Australians only hate you if you look muslim (ie indian)

We do need immigrants to sustain our growth, we're trending towards a negative birth rate

yes yes yes

but what about those lebbos australians hate so much

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

You people don't know how to make gently caress? :confused: Like I could teach you but I'd have to charge.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

LentThem posted:

Australia needs immigrants from Asian countries as they make huge contributions to the development of local communities, but this has made some locals feel uncomfortable, said Zhou.

If Australia stops receiving Asian immigrants, the country's population will drop rapidly to a degree that the country's development cannot afford, Zhou noted.

Everything you bolded is true though?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not really

Australia needs immigrants from anywhere
Chinese immigrants are generally isolationist rather than integrating themselves into existing communities as keystones (unless you mean they form a new separate Chinese community?)
Yes this makes locals uncomfortable

If it stops taking immigrants, sure, population will be more inclined to drop. But define "rapidly". And why do they have to be Asian immigrants (no reason why they can't be, though)

The point is that the article extrapolates a hell of a lot from two points, spins it to fit its own narrative, and focuses exclusively on Asia as the answer when really African immigration would be equally as effective

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 21, 2017

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
It said "Asian" not Chinese. And it also said that half of immigrants come from Asian countries. Unless you're proposing that Australia stops immigration from Asia and replaces it with Africans (lol yeah I'm sure the tolerant Aussies would love that) , what is your point about "why does it have to be Asians"?
Also I thought the article was about violent acts towards Asian immigrants?
I'm not sure about what particular incidents he's referring to, but I'm sure we can all agree that that is a bad thing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm not presupposing how Australians would treat Africans, I don't know enough about Australians. Nor do I have insight into Asian communities beyond the Chinese (perhaps they are too isolationst?). I do, jowever, have insighy ibto the Chinese immigrant community in the UK - perhaps it is different in Australia? I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable on that. Then I reverted to saying Asian once I wasn't talking about a specific group and was speaking in general.

I'm not proposing Africa as a solution specifically either, it's just an example. And yes most immigrants are currently Asian but it doesn't follow that this has to be the case in the future. Waves of immigrarion from various continents is the norm, as economic and other factors change over time. For instance, Australia is pushing their 419 working holiday visa scheme hard, and most backpackers aren't Asian, and there's a special condition that if on the 419 visa, you do work in sectors where it's hard to find labourers, Australia will extend your visa another year. It's already looking at other sources of labour. Yes this will take time to adjust, hence asking what "rapidly" means beyond being an alarmist pillar to support a narrative.

Agreeing that racial discrimination is bad doesn't negate any of this. Besides, you wanted to discuss the bolded bit, but if you want we can talk about the whole article.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
You are just jealous of the great wealth and power China, you couldn't possibly understand the situation.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Clearly

Funnily enough, I own a business in Hong Kong and pay taxes to the Chinese government with money I earn from foreign clients, and spend the rest on local goods and services. I am part of China's great wealth and power :china:

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
You are not Chinese, you can't understand

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
street walking counts as owning a business eh

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

prostitution is not illegal in hong kong if you are self employed.

Pimps make the social problems, so running a brothel is against the law, though. Soliciting is also illegal so prostitutes hang a pink light outside where they live, because pink lighting is not illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nong

• Locked thread