Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Has anyone done a whole bunch of vacuum sealed bags in one puddle before? I'm doing a dinner for some friends (probably about 10 people) in a couple weeks and I was thinking of doing filet mignon steaks. I've never done anything with more than like 3 vacuum sealed bags at once. Should I look into getting one of those racks to try to keep things separated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

rockcity posted:

Has anyone done a whole bunch of vacuum sealed bags in one puddle before? I'm doing a dinner for some friends (probably about 10 people) in a couple weeks and I was thinking of doing filet mignon steaks. I've never done anything with more than like 3 vacuum sealed bags at once. Should I look into getting one of those racks to try to keep things separated?

I've not done it this way, but have you considered cooking them, ice bath, and just warming them up to temp there? Say cook them at 130 or whatever, bring them in an ice chest, and just throw back into the pot of 130 degree water to bring them back up before searing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've done 6 or 7 chicken breasts individually sealed and it worked fine. My water bath is a medium sized cooler, so fairly large. It might be more of an issue in a smaller container. As long as water gets around everything and they aren't clumped together I'd be OK with it. You can mix the bags and water occasionally to be sure the heat is well distributed.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Get a instant read thermometer, and use that to verify the water temp at different points in the water bath. If the water is circulating properly you won’t get a drastic temp change anywhere in the pot or tub/cooler. If you do have a huge drop then yeah maybe you should clip the bags together or to the sides in an orderly fashion or use a rack.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Just get the rack from IKEA everybody uses. It's 4.99 expandable lid holder IIRC.
I used it to do 4 steaks in a relatively small bath and it worked fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey does that ikea rack work well for displacement ziplocks? I get as much air out as possible but, I mean, how do you anchor your food?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody done garlic confit sous vide?

I tried it in the instant pot with garlic and olive oil. But the olive oil went bitter as gently caress.

Wondering if low and slow in the puddle is the way to go.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Horse Clocks posted:

Anova suggests 190F / 87C.
https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-garlic-confit

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Creature posted:

I've not done it this way, but have you considered cooking them, ice bath, and just warming them up to temp there? Say cook them at 130 or whatever, bring them in an ice chest, and just throw back into the pot of 130 degree water to bring them back up before searing.

I did consider that too, but they only really need to cook for about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours. Also, I am flying up there. Some of you may recall my "mile high ribeye" situation from a few months ago. I pre cooked and chilled for that one but I should have enough time to do the cook there this time.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

The Creature posted:

Would this work for Kenji's sous vide porchetta? I drive out on Friday night, so would cook it wednesday-midfriday, chill and out in ice, travel, and then warm up on the 24 and fry. Not sure how the fat would react to being chilled and reheated.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

Has anybody done garlic confit sous vide?

I tried it in the instant pot with garlic and olive oil. But the olive oil went bitter as gently caress.

you overfilled.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Overfilled? Too much stuff in the jars?

Is there a science reason for this?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Horse Clocks posted:

the olive oil went bitter as gently caress.

Pretty classic overcooking per the googles.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

Overfilled? Too much stuff in the jars?

Is there a science reason for this?
When I did a super bitter and lovely batch there wasn't enough room for whatever was escaping the garlic to get out of the jar without taking some oil with it. This ended up causing a real weird syphon and some oil was able to escape into the cooker and water went into the jars. Also be sure that your jars are not on the cooking surface. Look for a modernist cuisine at home recipe rather than http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/garlic-confit/ as that using a 2:1 ratio and 250g of cloves ends up being a real weird measurement. People in that comment section have the same issue.

ulmont posted:

Pretty classic overcooking per the googles.
there's a real wide window since it's a slow cook. With an instapot I would imagine you wouldn't be overcooking until 3 hours +. I do 2 hours with a stovetop.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Hey does that ikea rack work well for displacement ziplocks? I get as much air out as possible but, I mean, how do you anchor your food?

Well depends on your tub. I have a lid on mine so it wouldn't work well, so I use vacuum sealed bags. If you don't use a lid or use a a lid that only lies on top, you can do an easy trick I used before. Place cooking spoons or other thin kitchen utensils (or even a ruler) across the rim of your tub. Then clip the top ends of the bags to those utensils with clothespins and loosely place the lid on them. That should work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a Rubbermaid 12 qt and a little cap for it with the hinge and a hole for the Anova. I see the ikea rack with pics online and people are just slotting food in each “slot”. And that seems fine, I guess the point of it is keeping multiple foods from getting too close.

I guess I could binderclip each one to the rack arms, yeah?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
oh you mean the sides. I have never head problems with just slotting stuff between the rack arms (like plates in a dishwasher basically). I thought you were worried about the tops of the bags going under water. If you use the water displacement method (I use a big bucket to do it) there will be so little air left the bags shouldn't float. So just slotting them into the rack should be fine.

You can even carefully push the rack together to squeeze stuff in but that may affect the doneness at contact points.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

using a 2:1 ratio and 250g of cloves ends up being a real weird measurement. People in that comment section have the same issue.
uh what now? how is multiplying 250 by 2 "real weird measurement" :thunk:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am confused. I read through Kenji' sous vide 36 hour porkbelly porchetta recipe again to prepare. And he mentions pork belly wrapped around a pork loin at the beginning. But later and in the ingredient list there is no mention of any pork loin...can anyone clarify that?

Also he doesn't address the garlic/botulism questions in the comments at all.
I know this comes up every now and again, but I never paid attention. What's the deal with that? Should I ignore that topic or is there something to it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hopper posted:

I am confused. I read through Kenji' sous vide 36 hour porkbelly porchetta recipe again to prepare. And he mentions pork belly wrapped around a pork loin at the beginning. But later and in the ingredient list there is no mention of any pork loin...can anyone clarify that?

Dude. He says a traditional porchetta is pork belly around pork loin but that his is just pork belly.

quote:

If you read this column regularly, then you're already familiar with what a traditional porchetta is (I discussed it on Tuesday.)

Quick recap: pork belly that's lightly cured with salt and aromatics like garlic, fennel, red pepper, and spices, is wrapped around a pork loin with the pig's skin facing outwards into a long cylinder.
A regular porchetta is delicious, no doubt, but I thought to myself, what if I start with the same all-belly porchetta and take it to the extreme?

That's exactly what I did, and the results is a dry-brined, pH-balanced, deep-fried, sous-vide, 36-hour slow cooked, all-belly masterpiece of a dish. If you've got the inclination to go for it yourself, here's how it's done.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Jewish-style sous vide brisket (really just the flat)? Got some requests to try one -- I see a lot of recipes for a 48 hour brisket, but would bagging it with onions/garlic replicate that stewey-taste?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

Well depends on your tub. I have a lid on mine so it wouldn't work well, so I use vacuum sealed bags. If you don't use a lid or use a a lid that only lies on top, you can do an easy trick I used before. Place cooking spoons or other thin kitchen utensils (or even a ruler) across the rim of your tub. Then clip the top ends of the bags to those utensils with clothespins and loosely place the lid on them. That should work.

We’ve started using a half-dozen pie weights in the bags. Works great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh you are right... my reading comprehension isn't up to par as I am suffering from a very nasty cold...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

uh what now? how is multiplying 250 by 2 "real weird measurement" :thunk:
and 250g of cloves

recipe as is has you overfill the jars.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

rgocs posted:

Would this work for Kenji's sous vide porchetta? I drive out on Friday night, so would cook it wednesday-midfriday, chill and out in ice, travel, and then warm up on the 24 and fry. Not sure how the fat would react to being chilled and reheated.

I've not done this with porchetta, but I've done this with turchetta. I also cured and smoked some ham that was really fatty, and that reheated really well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So to get around any remote botulism danger I will use garlic powder, just because I can. Is there a formula for conversion in terms of x teaspoons = y cloves of fresh garlic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Garlic powder has a very different flavor from garlic cloves.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hopper posted:

So to get around any remote botulism danger I will use garlic powder, just because I can. Is there a formula for conversion in terms of x teaspoons = y cloves of fresh garlic?

Yes, and it's usually on the container of garlic powder, but

1. It's gonna suck by comparison.
2. 36 hours at 155 is around the 6 decimal reduction level: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

and 250g of cloves

recipe as is has you overfill the jars.
no, you are overfilling the jars. there's no direction to put x amount of oil in y container, just 'fill up the jars', so if it overflows, guess what? it's not the recipe's fault you can't understand the word fill

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

no, you are overfilling the jars. there's no direction to put x amount of oil in y container, just 'fill up the jars', so if it overflows, guess what? it's not the recipe's fault you can't understand the word fill
there's direction to use ~ 550ml or 500g of olive oil with what they estimate to be 36 garlic cloves. To help you out, that's a little bit more than an average disposable water bottle, but filled with oil. Meanwhile their second publishing of that recipe puts that down to a cup. It's pretty easy to not provide the weight of olive oil if you're only going to be using half of it at most.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

there's direction to use ~ 550ml or 500g of olive oil with what they estimate to be 36 garlic cloves. To help you out, that's a little bit more than an average disposable water bottle, but filled with oil. Meanwhile their second publishing of that recipe puts that down to a cup. It's pretty easy to not provide the weight of olive oil if you're only going to be using half of it at most.
have you tried...using more than one jar?

:thunk:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

have you tried...using more than one jar?

:thunk:

Of course. You are aware that one of those jars cannot even fit the amount of olive oil called for?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Of course. You are aware that one of those jars cannot even fit the amount of olive oil called for?
that's why you use more than one, instead of slopping olive oil over your counter.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ulmont posted:

Yes, and it's usually on the container of garlic powder, but

1. It's gonna suck by comparison.
2. 36 hours at 155 is around the 6 decimal reduction level: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

That might be enough for active bacteria, but it won't kill spores.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So should Only roast garlic then? Or just not use any?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Hopper posted:

Also he doesn't address the garlic/botulism questions in the comments at all.
I know this comes up every now and again, but I never paid attention. What's the deal with that? Should I ignore that topic or is there something to it?

This myth needs to die. There is no botulism danger that is specific to garlic. The only reason the two are even associated is that idiots make garlic oil by just throwing garlic into olive oil and letting it sit at room temperature for days and weeks at a time. Don't put any food product in an anaerobic environment and then leave it sitting in the temperature danger zone unless you want botulism - excepting properly sterilized (treated to >250 degree temps to destroy the spores, as is done in canning) or properly acidified (<4.6 pH, as is done with correctly prepared garlic oil) items.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It isn't safe in the fridge, either, for more than a few days. Source (PDF)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

It isn't safe in the fridge, either, for more than a few days. Source (PDF)
Eh. If you already have vegetative C. botulinum growing then refrigeration won't kill them, but if you have C. botulinum spores (and you almost certainly do) they won't germinate if the garlic/oil mixture is properly refrigerated (asterisk, see below for more on `properly refrigerated').

The text of the publication you link is almost verbatim the same as an earlier UC Davis publication (from 1997) that omits the four-day refrigeration limit (link). That recommendation appears to be made on the basis of selecting the low-end estimate reported in one of their references---Nummer, 2011 (link)---which includes a literature review that finds recommendations between 3 and 21 days for refrigerated garlic in oil. They then discard the longer estimates, based on the assumption that residential refrigerators can't be relied upon to maintain a temperature under 5 C/41 F. If your fridge can maintain 5 C then their recommendation then becomes 10 days, or indefinitely for under 3 C/37 F.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mikey Purp posted:

I did the porchetta a few years ago and it was great. Two pieces of advice:

1. The fat does not completely render at 155 for 36 hours, which can result in really large pieces of fat in your slices. To a certain extent that's going to be unavoidable with pork belly, but it's not really appetizing to a lot of people, so try to use a meaty piece of belly if possible. Otherwise, spend some time trimming a bit of the excess fat off before you season and roll it. You could also experiment with higher temps or longer times, but I haven't done either and can't speak to the outcomes.

2. Use the bag juice to make gravy...it will be the richest, most delicious gravy you've ever had.

Lastly, if you are frying this bad boy (which you should), deep fry it or at least fry it in a wok and use a splatter screen. It's going to be a little messy, but worth it.

Right now I have the pork belly scored, seasoned, rolled, tied, and divided into 4 big pieces and sitting in bags in the fridge. The only comment I have about the Kenji recipe is this bit:

quote:

Roll belly into a tight log and push to top of cutting board, seam-side down. Cut 12 to 18 lengths of kitchen twine long enough to tie around the pork and lay them down in regular intervals along your cutting board, about 1-inch apart each. Lay rolled pork seam-side down on top of strings. Working from the outermost strings towards the center, tie up roast tightly. Combine 2 tablespoons kosher salt with 1 teaspoon baking powder. Rub mixture over entire surface of porchetta.

This is pretty much impossible, because a mixture of kosher salt and baking powder does not stick to the dry pig skin of a rolled-up pork belly. I mean you can rub it if you really want to but it just falls right off again.

Also, in the recipe description he says "After scoring, salting, seasoning, and rolling a pork belly, the entire exterior gets rubbed with a mix of kosher salt and baking powder in order to break down some of its musculature..."

But...how's it going to do that? The skin's impermeable and backed by a thick layer of fat, that salt and baking powder isn't going to get to the musculature in the first place.

I think it's still going to wind up tasty, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Porchetta trip report, day -3: apparently asking the grocery store if they can get me a "whole pork belly" is insufficient in America, where everyone is a giant baby who can't eat meat with skin or other identifiable animal parts.

HEB, who told me on Monday that they always have it on hand, had what turned out to be 4lb skinless sections. Lesson learned, be really specific about uncommon cuts :negative:

After calling several grocery stores in the area and getting nowhere ("Sure we have pork bellies... What? Skin? No lol"), I tried an Asian market and found frozen, skin-on half bellies. It's thawing in the fridge now, to be prepped tomorrow morning and in the bath tomorrow night. :toot: