Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I love how cyberpunk it looks. its literally what that dude in Ghost in the Shell wears

We really are living in a cyberpunk world.

I fully expect to be a cyborg woman by 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

I’d also dig harder. I’ve had the opposite experience. Dash is amazing and onward runs fine here.

Very very weird. Wonder if something else is having issues with the beta specifically

Very odd. Didn't suffer Rio's problem so much, but I did notice poor quality results in the beta. Reverted back and everything went back to normal.

Could well be process related, but I'd have to look pretty deep to figure out what.

In other news I can buy products from the Oculus store now, they solved my problem. Yay!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just had a good session playing Pavlov, loving around in SteamVR home and then (as Rec Room wasn't working) doing to Onward PvE stuff. So glad they've added bots to Onward, it's much more fun for me to just jump in and have a go at some waves of AI instead of the super-fast PVP stuff.

Also doing the ski slopes map in SteamVR Home was great. Am I misremembering or was it a goon who developed it? The background photos of the mountains are just stunning, better than the stuff Valve has done I'd say. Maybe Oculus Home will allow this sort of fun Garry's Mod-esque stuff some day.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Also doing the ski slopes map in SteamVR Home was great. Am I misremembering or was it a goon who developed it? The background photos of the mountains are just stunning, better than the stuff Valve has done I'd say. Maybe Oculus Home will allow this sort of fun Garry's Mod-esque stuff some day.

You're remembering correct, that's one of mine (although I snagged a CC licensed panorama for the background). I'm glad you liked it.

Just wish Valve would support interactive and movement stuff better, but unfortunately it's Valve...

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

That Magic Leap guy has an irrational hatred of stereoscopes.

Looks interesting but more like the Apple Newton than 1st gen iPhone. Glasses aesthetics (combined with actual good specs) is a loong way off.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

El Grillo posted:

I would do these if I knew people to play them with. Going in with random pubbies doesn't usually tend to be worth it as they just die really quickly and then you die.
You on VRGoons discord?

I hope to hell Oculus/someone implements some proper community support in VR sometime soon.

It is hit or miss. I have met some good player by queuing randomly and some poo poo ones. After that great team and experience I joined another game an hour later and had a bunch of bad players, which is fine since I just practice as if it is a solo run but who were also obnoxious. They had British accents and were like “what language do you speak?” And before I could answer they said “he speaks American. Hey BRAH I’m American BRAH I speak American” and it was equally funny as it was obnoxious but they were annoyed by to play with since they were really bad at it too so I left.

So yeah it can suck but playing in bad teams is a good opportunity to practice carrying a team and a lot of people are just new and welcome the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the quests. If you want to friend me there my screen name is blitzstrahl - I’m not on the discord (didn’t realize there was one) but I’ll get on it tonight now that I know.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just don't get why they went with that horrible Photoshop for their reveal. Given how much money they have you'd think they could hire someone to do a bit better job on that.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
You can already tell the Magic Leap guys are going to avoid the consumer market. Their PR stunt includes a lot of outside effects that have nothing to do with the glasses.

In reality, I can see them having to peddle this poo poo to production companies because no one else is going to buy it. Except Google Glass2 and the Hololens are already in the space.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

Wow, it’s actually real. I guess if you get hundreds of million in VC you can make something pretty neat.

Yes... you can make "real" renders...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anyone here played Organ Quarter? Looks quite good.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

If it works as advertised, being able to create opaque pixels is the holy grail that unites VR and AR. Will be really interesting to see the limitations. Can you make the FOV a solid black that obscures vision? If so I'd like to see a full-FOV tethered version in future that does steamVR/Oculus apps. Doubt it will happen though, sounds as if they're instead going the same 'mobile' route as everyone else, trying to make the 'new iphone' instead of high end niche gear.

Interesting that he's being a bit skittish about the depth of field focusing though. My expectation is that you'll be able to have those three depths he was talking about, hand-scale, room-scale, world-scale. Not the full 'magic leap' but better than the current VR headsets (in that one respect).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

rio posted:

It is hit or miss. I have met some good player by queuing randomly and some poo poo ones. After that great team and experience I joined another game an hour later and had a bunch of bad players, which is fine since I just practice as if it is a solo run but who were also obnoxious. They had British accents and were like “what language do you speak?” And before I could answer they said “he speaks American. Hey BRAH I’m American BRAH I speak American” and it was equally funny as it was obnoxious but they were annoyed by to play with since they were really bad at it too so I left.

So yeah it can suck but playing in bad teams is a good opportunity to practice carrying a team and a lot of people are just new and welcome the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the quests. If you want to friend me there my screen name is blitzstrahl - I’m not on the discord (didn’t realize there was one) but I’ll get on it tonight now that I know.
Thanks man, yeah i actually nipped on briefly this evening and had a decent time doing the rpg quest with some randoms. to be honest it's almost always more fun than i expect or remember. So polished too. I wonder how big the dev team is.
;
e: the devs have a tgread about custom rooms, with video tutorials, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7l3ir4/anyone_can_now_make_their_own_personal_room_or/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 21, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m back with more technical problems, this time my guardian system not working. I noticed it last night and thought nothing of it except almost damaging a very expensive guitar before realizing that it was off. I figured that when I had time to run through the guardian setup again it would be fixed but it hasn’t, even not running through an entire new sensor setup. Obviously this is really unsafe and I’m back to being frustrated that I can’t seem to get through more than 2-3 days without some new problem popping up.

Has anyone had this issue before? When I hit the oculus button I see the outline of where the wall should be on the floor so it obviously knows where the boundary should be, but even having both the guardian system and wall set to on nothing shows up when playing games. I don’t know if this is from going back to the old version of home since I didn’t notice it but I know it was working in the new version of home that I left due to stuttering issues. I don’t know where to start figuring this out, much like all of the problems I have had with the oculus which makes it worse since usually I can figure out what to fix on my computer when it has problems.

Edit: from what I have googled people have gotten “guardian system is not working” as a warning but I don’t have that and since it shows on the floor when in the oculus menu (the old one before the home update) it seems to be there but I just can’t see it.

rio fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 21, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rio posted:

I’m back with more technical problems, this time my guardian system not working. I noticed it last night and thought nothing of it except almost damaging a very expensive guitar before realizing that it was off. I figured that when I had time to run through the guardian setup again it would be fixed but it hasn’t, even not running through an entire new sensor setup. Obviously this is really unsafe and I’m back to being frustrated that I can’t seem to get through more than 2-3 days without some new problem popping up.

Has anyone had this issue before? When I hit the oculus button I see the outline of where the wall should be on the floor so it obviously knows where the boundary should be, but even having both the guardian system and wall set to on nothing shows up when playing games. I don’t know if this is from going back to the old version of home since I didn’t notice it but I know it was working in the new version of home that I left due to stuttering issues. I don’t know where to start figuring this out, much like all of the problems I have had with the oculus which makes it worse since usually I can figure out what to fix on my computer when it has problems.

Edit: from what I have googled people have gotten “guardian system is not working” as a warning but I don’t have that and since it shows on the floor when in the oculus menu (the old one before the home update) it seems to be there but I just can’t see it.

Go into the settings and make sure "walls" are turned on? I thought mine was broke a few times and I just forgot I had it off (i dont like it with steamvr).

Maybe something just disabled it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Go into the settings and make sure "walls" are turned on? I thought mine was broke a few times and I just forgot I had it off (i dont like it with steamvr).

Maybe something just disabled it.

I had toggled that on and off to make sure it was on but it didn’t help.

I am doing another sensor calibration and the sensors are randomly disappearing during the part you are supposed to point the touch controller at the center of the front sensors and getting random sensor connection errors saying that one or more of my sensors aren’t tracking properly.

I don’t think I have ever had such a stark contrast between the amount of fun technology could provide with such annoying poo poo that seems to have no rhyme or reason with how to fix it leading so such extreme frustration that happens as frequently as the fun itself.

Edit: it makes sense why the guardian system wasn’t working since I read that it will not function correctly if the sensors move. As I look at the sensor setup screen, each time a sensor disappears for a split second it reappears ever so slightly in a different place when it reappears. All three sensors are doing this - not often but enough to gently caress everything up.

Edit 2: they seemed to stop moving but the guardian system still won’t show up. I give up.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 21, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Bummer that they didn't bother to make a Touch control scheme for Elite. Not really interested in using another peripheral while playing VR now that I'm used to having actual hands in-game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Seashell Salesman posted:

Bummer that they didn't bother to make a Touch control scheme for Elite. Not really interested in using another peripheral while playing VR now that I'm used to having actual hands in-game.

Elite is the kind of game where you really need the tactile feedback of the controls though. You'd be missing a lot without that. The cheap thrustmaster one for $40 on Amazon is perfectly adequate though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Play X if you really want touch controls in a space trucking game, but I think maybe after you play that you might be craving a real joystick again.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I liked the touch controls in X. I also didn't try to dog fight anyone as I was just cruising around and doing menu fu.

That's pretty much all I ever did in Elite which is why I would like the same controls there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Are there likely to be any good Christmas discounts on a Vive headset anywhere online? Or in Australia in general?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rio posted:

I am doing another sensor calibration and the sensors are randomly disappearing during the part you are supposed to point the touch controller at the center of the front sensors and getting random sensor connection errors saying that one or more of my sensors aren’t tracking properly.

I don’t think I have ever had such a stark contrast between the amount of fun technology could provide with such annoying poo poo that seems to have no rhyme or reason with how to fix it leading so such extreme frustration that happens as frequently as the fun itself.

Edit: it makes sense why the guardian system wasn’t working since I read that it will not function correctly if the sensors move. As I look at the sensor setup screen, each time a sensor disappears for a split second it reappears ever so slightly in a different place when it reappears. All three sensors are doing this - not often but enough to gently caress everything up.

Edit 2: they seemed to stop moving but the guardian system still won’t show up. I give up.

Get usb log viewer and watch for usb drops. Also check your oculus logs. Sounds like usb problems.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dogfighting is the only good thing in Elite though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rio posted:

Wipe the sensors off, and plug them into different USB ports if able. I had problems with my sensors and headset before taking them out of the add-in card and plugging them back into the motherboard slots

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions - I’ll try both tomorrow.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Haha Rec Room is exactly what you'd expect-- great when you get put in a room with normal adults, hell when you get put in a room with idiots or young children.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha Rec Room is exactly what you'd expect-- great when you get put in a room with normal adults, hell when you get put in a room with idiots or young children.

I keep forgetting that kids have access to VR headsets. Seems wrong, somehow. But I'm just cranky about annoying shits in lobbies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
kids having access to vr owns. all i ever wanted as a kid in the 90s was working vr

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's fair. I guess I just game with adult groups so often, I forget what a random sampling of public groups is like.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My favorite VR memory is of a little kid very audibly banging against a wall while playing dodgeball in Rec Room and his avatar slumping to the ground and exiting just as he started crying.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

I keep forgetting that kids have access to VR headsets. Seems wrong, somehow. But I'm just cranky about annoying shits in lobbies.

In Rec Room I'm "nbilling". I sent a friend request to rio (blitzstrahl) from earlier in the thread. If anyone from the thread wants to try and collect goons to play Rec Room with feel free to add me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Some kids are alright and I am happy to interact with them and help them. Wouldn't you have wanted that as a kid?
I'm sure as hell not going to babysit a kid tho.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Butt Discussin posted:

I bought "Serious Sam: The Last Hope VR" on recommendations like this only to find out that it's an extremely mediocre wave shooter with no movement, so beware of that.

I liked last hope VR a lot too, and it's a very good wave shooter IMO. Still a wave shooter tho.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The devs have taken some action on this - though only for <13yo's: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7ercvs/please_please_keep_your_kids_out_of_rec_room/dq7fn5x/
"We released a major update on these efforts here if anyone hasn't looked over that yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7965rs/weve_gotten_a_lot_of_feedback_from_the_community/

The Rec Room standard account is for players 13 and older. We also have junior accounts for players 12 and younger that can't transmit or hear any voice audio, cant damage team mates, and have a number of other restrictions for the child's safety. If you would like to create a junior account for your child please see the help center link below. Info on junior accounts is at the bottom of that page.

If you strongly believe a player is 12 or younger, and active on a standard account, please let us know by issuing an underage report. You can do this either by using the stop gesture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bWTgmAxBes&#160;or by going to your watch menu > People > select player > report > underage. We have a number of other evidence systems that look for underage activity outside of player reports as well.

Also if you'd prefer not to play with junior profiles we have a matchmaking option in our settings that will attempt to avoid games that have juniors in them. Info on how to enable that at the bottom of this page: https://www.againstgrav.com/help-center/"

In Rec Room I'm "nbilling". I sent a friend request to rio (blitzstrahl) from earlier in the thread. If anyone from the thread wants to try and collect goons to play Rec Room with feel free to add me.
Added you and bkitzstrahl. I'm el_grillo if anyone wants to add.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 21, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Eh, I work with children and don’t mind seeing them at all when they pop up in Rec Room.

If VR will ever hit critical mass like this thread always hopes it will, players will have to get accustomed with hearing and seeing all kinds of people in VR.

Instead of censoring kids under 13, it should be possible to have an alternate play space for them so they can socialize with other junior players.

Also make it possible for junior players to graduate to the adult playspace if they want to, and they get consent from their guardian. Heck, make the barrier to entry a rule book with language that is normed for a 13 year old, and then make the junior player pass a virtual test based on the rules. Then make it so that the reporting system can bust them back down to junior space if they choose to get out of hand.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think the rules are there to protect kids from predators, not censor them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

kids having access to vr owns. all i ever wanted as a kid in the 90s was working vr

Watching my 7 year old son lie on the floor to grab a donut to complete his project of filling the car in Job Simulator up with donuts is all the info I need to say it does indeed own

GutBomb posted:

I think the rules are there to protect kids from predators, not censor them.

For me it's all about supervision and joining in, I have his PC set up next to mine but more than that I join in and play with him

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t mind kids in rec room as long as they aren’t being shits. Some of the older kids have been bullies to other people in the game and that really pisses me off. One time I was playing paddleball and this short person joined. When they started talking it sounded like a little kid (maybe 6 or so) after I hit the ball really fast the first time getting sad so I started lobbing them really slow to give them a chance and missing on purpose so they could win. It reminded me of my daughter when she really was trying to do something hard the way the kid was reacting and they sounded so happy when they won :)

On the other hand, another time there was some dude in paddle ball who I mercilessly slaughtered as his friends in the background made fun of him for how he looked as he played. Paddle ball is fun since usually you get matched up against new players, being the first game they have you play after the tutorial. You basically get to decide what someone’s first exposure to the game will be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rio posted:

I don’t mind kids in rec room as long as they aren’t being shits. Some of the older kids have been bullies to other people in the game and that really pisses me off. One time I was playing paddleball and this short person joined. When they started talking it sounded like a little kid (maybe 6 or so) after I hit the ball really fast the first time getting sad so I started lobbing them really slow to give them a chance and missing on purpose so they could win. It reminded me of my daughter when she really was trying to do something hard the way the kid was reacting and they sounded so happy when they won :)

On the other hand, another time there was some dude in paddle ball who I mercilessly slaughtered as his friends in the background made fun of him for how he looked as he played. Paddle ball is fun since usually you get matched up against new players, being the first game they have you play after the tutorial. You basically get to decide what someone’s first exposure to the game will be.

I steer my son away from multiplayer stuff and use Pegi a lot as a reason. No one wants an upset kid in their game, be it the other people or the kid himself. It's just parenting to me, nothing special about it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't mind kids in the game. My wife likes to play rec room, especially paddle ball, and she loves just gently serves the ball so they can hit it then gives them high fives after the game is over.

It's also pretty funny when a kid is in game and you hear glass break followed by an "uh oh" before their body just drops to the floor and goes idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
There's going to be a real crisis watching a kid accidentally break something while playing VR and watching their avatar roll around on the floor as their parents beat them.