Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Garden hose nozzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kid sinister posted:

If you don't know anything about roofing, you should watch this:

https://youtu.be/xw5n-5uoGbU

Embedded version, and it's a pro-click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5n-5uoGbU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Garden hose nozzle.

Now I'm wondering if wasn't a deliberate choice. If the the only shower heads available in local stores are the modern environmentally friendly low flow ones, and you hate those (or hate the idea of them) then a garden hose nozzle might seem like an attractive alternative. Hella strong spray comes out of those things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah I'd never seen those before.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

`Nemesis posted:

Embedded version, and it's a pro-click.

I knew nothing about roofing, but could assume "shingles keep the rain from going into the house, so you don't want places where water can get around or under the shingles."

Knowing nothing but that, god drat. They say it never rains in southern California but when it does, that house is going to be a pool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Now I'm wondering if wasn't a deliberate choice. If the the only shower heads available in local stores are the modern environmentally friendly low flow ones, and you hate those (or hate the idea of them) then a garden hose nozzle might seem like an attractive alternative. Hella strong spray comes out of those things.

There has yet to be a low flow shower head that I've not been able to turn in to a high flow.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Talk to a buddy I know named Cosmo Kramer about high pressure shower heads.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

I knew nothing about roofing, but could assume "shingles keep the rain from going into the house, so you don't want places where water can get around or under the shingles."

Knowing nothing but that, god drat. They say it never rains in southern California but when it does, that house is going to be a pool.

This crew probably took one look at that wonky rear end roof line and said gently caress it

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Whoever designed that house and roofline should shot along with the roofer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that roofing job is a disaster, but the shape of the roof is also a disaster. Make lovely choices, win lovely prizes, I guess.

wesleywillis posted:

There has yet to be a low flow shower head that I've not been able to turn in to a high flow.

I'd be happier with low flow if it didn't inevitably manifest as low pressure. Like, I can handle a low volume of water if that water's moving fast, but when you give me a pathetic little dribble I'm gonna be peeved.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just posting to say how gently caress ugly and stupid barn doors are. It's going to be something people mock in the future, like shag carpet or plastic slip covers.

That and "reclaimed wood" trend. Shits gonna get dusty and then give you splinters trying to clean it.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 20, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

deoju posted:

That and "reclaimed wood" trend. Shits gonna get dusty and then give you splinters trying to clean it.

Reclaimed doesn't mean unfinished.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My local lumberyard once had a sale on "rustic" red oak. I asked what rustic meant; apparently it's just knowlessman-speak for #2/3-grade wood. In other words, they had a sale on their splintery/knotty crap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

If you don't know anything about roofing, you should watch this:

This one was in the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmAAT_o6W8U

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, that roofing job is a disaster, but the shape of the roof is also a disaster. Make lovely choices, win lovely prizes, I guess.

Well, it was originally tile, according to the inspector, so it didn't matter so much, but yeah, it's still a messed up roof-line.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boogalo posted:

Whoever designed that house and roofline should shot along with the roofer.

That’s in Coto De Caza and cost $1.4 million dollars. Dumb loving rooflines are a status symbol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How come I get this feeling watching these bad roofing videos that the installer probably took more time to do it wrong than if they had done it right the first time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

How come I get this feeling watching these bad roofing videos that the installer probably took more time to do it wrong than if they had done it right the first time.

Roofing is the kinda job where if you hosed up earlier in the job you gotta spend a lot of time and money to unfuck it and set it right. I'm sure this guy wasn't about that life.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Roofing is the kinda job where if you hosed up earlier in the job you gotta spend a lot of time and money to unfuck it and set it right. I'm sure this guy wasn't about that life.

It occurs to me to wonder if it would be feasible to have a roof made out of overlapping 4'x8' sheet rigid "shingles", screwed down to the roof deck (maybe with a tar/rubber gasket to prevent water intrusion around the screw holes). You might have to caulk the edges between panels, but since they're so big that still wouldn't be too bad. And I bet with only a little cleverness in the design you could set things up so a single panel could be pulled off and replaced without disturbing the others.

I'm sure the materials cost would be substantially higher than it would be for traditional shingles, but it might be cheaper to install and maintain.

(EDIT: I assume that there are good reasons why this isn't done, so really what I'm wondering is why it's a bad idea)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 20, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Metal roofing is a thing and it works great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^: Edit: This is what I get for waiting a couple minutes before posting.

That is basically what people already do with corrugated roofing, although they often go one better and just make panels the length of the roof slope. If there is damage, you can either replace the whole panel or (I think) cut the damaged section and attached a replacement section that is welded/sealed in place.

I don't know why metal roofing isn't more common, at least in the US. I think its just a cultural/tradition thing? It's very common in many countries though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rigid, tiled roofing exists.

It’s called “tile”.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ashcans posted:

I don't know why metal roofing isn't more common, at least in the US. I think its just a cultural/tradition thing? It's very common in many countries though.

A lot of metal roofing is subject to hail damage. Does it hail much in those countries?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Found these sliding abortions while browsing homes in Golden. Just leave them as framed openings!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was recently in a hotel room with one of those loving doors on the bathroom. It was also the closet door. If you wanted in the closet, you had to close the bathroom door, then if someone came out of the bathroom while you were getting something in the closet, it would smush you. It also didn't really close the gap all the way for privacy etc.

This was a two bed room that I was sharing with a coworker at a convention.

Stupid as all loving gently caress.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Found these sliding abortions while browsing homes in Golden. Just leave them as framed openings!!!

Are those like two different doors glued together to make one big sliding door? Like someone was just grabbing random doors and slapping them together? Doesn't even go the full height of the opening. God I hate this trend.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are those like two different doors glued together to make one big sliding door? Like someone was just grabbing random doors and slapping them together? Doesn't even go the full height of the opening.

...juuuuuust like a farmer would throw together. They're lazy as poo poo when it comes to fixing stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Reclaimed doesn't mean unfinished.

Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing that old school gym flooring that I saw in a Habitat ReStore years ago. I was on the fence about it because that stuff is super thick. I finally decided to grab it two days later and it was gone :(

E:

Ashcans posted:

It's highly popular in the south.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

A lot of metal roofing is subject to hail damage. Does it hail much in those countries?

I have aluminum corrugated roofing on my barn which is 30 years old and fine. I have steel roofing on my office that has been there for 4 or 5 years, also fine. There are also many-decades old tin roofs here (mostly standing seam) that are fine. Yes, it hails here on occasion. (northeast US)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
You can also get corrugated or metal roofing that looks like shingles from a distance, so you get all the joys of an easy to install metal roof, with the added fun of it not looking kinda odd compared to the next house over.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Make your house look like a low-poly model from a 1990s video game.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Motronic posted:

I have aluminum corrugated roofing on my barn which is 30 years old and fine. I have steel roofing on my office that has been there for 4 or 5 years, also fine. There are also many-decades old tin roofs here (mostly standing seam) that are fine. Yes, it hails here on occasion. (northeast US)

Midwest here, have the original terne standing seam roof on my house from 1930. Hail damage and all. The only issues I have are insurance wont cover it because its more than 50 years old, and a newer section of it over an addition leaked where the two joined. I was able to fix that myself pretty cheaply.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ashcans posted:

^^^: Edit: This is what I get for waiting a couple minutes before posting.

That is basically what people already do with corrugated roofing, although they often go one better and just make panels the length of the roof slope. If there is damage, you can either replace the whole panel or (I think) cut the damaged section and attached a replacement section that is welded/sealed in place.

Copper roofs are traditional in Appalachia and parts of the southeast US.Those green-patina roofs last a long time, even with hail and rain.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wolrah posted:

Yup, just had a Moen shower cartridge fail and it was a straightforward replacement. Pull the handle, undo the trim, remove a clip, remove the cartridge, installation is the reverse of removal, remove handle and spin upside down when you inevitably gently caress up the orientation the first time.
It's only straightforward if you remember to shut off the water first.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Standing-seam steel roofing runs about 50% more than arch shingles here if you're doing, like, two plain straight sides, and quickly skyrockets to 2x or more if you've got a bunch of cut up valleys and/or skylights.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The horrible insane complex roofs on McMansions must be a plot by big-roof to jack up their profits.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

The horrible insane complex roofs on McMansions must be a plot by big-roof to jack up their profits.

Yeah, their prices are through the roof.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

StormDrain posted:

I like the idea of being able to close off sections of the home like that.

Of course the implementation would have to be some Star Trek ideal of being invisible and/or within the wall or something, not like those monstrosities.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Of course the implementation would have to be some Star Trek ideal of being invisible and/or within the wall or something, not like those monstrosities.

So pocket doors then.

What's up with the island of tile in the middle of that room surrounded by hardwood?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I have a section of the house now which houses the guest bedroom and downstairs/guest bathroom, and there's an entrance about that size which leads to the two doors. I'm probably going to fit a big concertina door so guests can close it off at night but it'll stay out of the way during the day.

Thumposaurus posted:

So pocket doors then.

Pocket doors can be tricky, at least with the construction I've seen. My stud walls are 100mm thick and have full-depth posts at the ends, and even the previously-external brick walls with cavities have wall ties in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sliding doors in general suck because you have to take up twice as much wall space for the door., and you can't hang anything on the door. They're ok for closet doors, but I still prefer bi-fold because at least then you can have the entire closet open and not just half.