Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Oh sweet! That's just what I was hoping for. What do you think, drop the Ebony Charm and a fog for two ranger's guile in the sideboard?

Edit: I could maybe drop two phytoburst and mainboard 2 as well.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So this is the infect deck I've been running:

code:
2 Apostle's Blessing
1 Barren Moor
2 Doom Blade
4 Flensermite
12 Forest
4 Glistener Elf
2 Groundswell
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Phytoburst
4 Plague Stinger
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Strength
5 Swamp
1 Tranquil Thicket
4 Vines of Vastwood

2 Apostle's Blessing
2 Diabolic Edict
1 Ebony Charm
4 Fog
2 Kitesail
2 Nature's Claim
2 Tranquility
I really like it, but I have a hard time dealing with all the removal. My buddy is playing this U/W inside out/monarch deck with faeries that I just cant seem to beat. Some people suggested shifting the deck into U/B Infect or something for the counters. Any tips on how to make the deck better/faster/or more robust?

I've been playing a lot on xmage which helps me understand how the deck works, but when playing in real life, I don't have the hand holding of the software and I mess up a ton. Are there any fun little infographs or something that would help me remember the phases and what can be used when?

I can't really think of infographs or anything, but I think one of the most important bits is knowing where every step of every phase takes place-- you are able to respond at instant speed to most steps. Think of it this way. For every step you have priority in, you may cast spells/activate abilities that can be used at instant speed (so instants and spells with Flash), and then your opponent has the opportunity to gain priority and do the same, also known as APNAP (active player, then non-active player essentially) priority. The way I've learned is just simply doing it so much it just feels natural. You're going to screw up, you're going to make mistakes; that's normal and no one in their right mind is going to fault someone who is still learning the game for messing up now and then. Things that are known as "sorcery-speed" are anything that cannot be cast at instant speed and can only be cast or activated on your main phase.

Note: I may not even have this 100% right, feel free to correct me.

Phase 1: Beginning Phase/Upkeep
- Untap step: Untap permanents; no priority
- Upkeep step: Pay upkeep costs; first chance for priority to cast spells or activate abilities at instant speed, then non-active priority. "In response to upkeep..."
- Draw step: Draw a card from your library, Active player priority, then non-active player priority. 'In response to draw step, ........"

Phase 2: Main Phase 1 - APNAP Priority
- You can play lands and cast any spells at this time unless directed otherwise-- Creatures, Artifacts, Enchantments, Planeswalkers, Sorceries, and Instants. Spells and abilities go onto the stack, where they can be responded to, but you are able to hold priority and cast more spells before passing priority and your opponent gets a chance to respond, placing their spells/abilities on the stack.

Phase 3: Combat Phase - APNAP Priority here generally announced as "move to combat"
- Declare attackers step: Attacking creatures are selected and tapped accordingly. If a creature has a "when this creature attacks" ability, it activates here. APNAP priority; usually said as "before attack"
- Declare blockers step: Opponent has the opportunity to declare blockers to attacking creatures. APNAP priority, usually said as "before block"
- Damage step: All damage happens at once unless First Strike/Double Strike is involved. Damage taken by creatures and players all happens at once. APNAP priority, usually said as "before damage"
- End of combat step: Creatures are removed from combat; abilities that activate at the end of combat do so. APNAP priority, announced as "end of combat"

Phase 4: Main Phase 2 - APNAP Priority
- Same as main phase 1. Cast sorcery-speed spells and activate abilities at sorcery-speed.

Phase 5: End Turn - APNAP Priority.
-End of turn: Abilities that take effect at the end of turn activate here. A fun little detail: spells that say "X until end of next turn" will continue from here until the next player's end step. APNAP priority.
-Cleanup step: In order: Discard down to hand size if necessary. Creatures that have taken damage this turn but have not died lose their damage, as if they had never taken any. No priority on this step unless specific abilities are put onto the stack that can be responded to.

I believe that's all there is. It's a little difficult to remember in person because a lot of steps in IRL play are implied. In many cases you'll see things like "Draw, land for turn, tap for spell (does it resolve?), end turn" because it speeds things along, especially at the start of games. People will often just draw and pass, but you are free to interject and place your responses at any of the given steps above. If someone does that, just say "wait, in response to X step" and proceed.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 15, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That helps a lot thank you! I screen capped that post for a little reference card to look at.

I get the gist of it, I just really need to learn the keywords and how they read.

For instance, I wondered if I could cast Vines of Vastwood on a Coalition Honor Guard thinking it would allow me to use my pump spells on my own creatures again, but the wording of "opponents" didn't flip to me like I thought it would. It would however, make it so "my opponent" couldn't cast spells on that (their Honor Guard) creature, but I still couldn't target my own creatures with the Honor Guard still in play.

I know now the way it works is this:

Nina controls Standard Bearer. Alex casts Vines, targeting Standard Bearer. After Vines resolves, Alex cannot cast Rancor targeting his creature because the Standard Bearer is still a valid target for spells or abilities he controls. Nina would be unable to cast a spell targeting her own Standard Bearer.

This is because Alex controls Vines, and Vines says "your opponent", referring to Alex's opponent.

I thought "your opponent" meant the opponent of the card it was cast upon. It seems obvious now, but that's just one of those things I need to pay attention to.

Learning how the cards interact with whatever given keywords has been the hardest part.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This is where it's good to look up cards for their additional information, errata, etc. For Vines of Vastwood: "This is not the same as hexproof. If, for example, you target one of your opponent’s creatures, your opponents won’t be able to target their own creature with spells or abilities."

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
How viable are Slivers in Pauper? Seems like they could be a lot of fun, but my guess is they probably get wrecked by Pestilence decks, don't they.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

My buddy runs a slivers deck and he smashes people with it. Granted, I still don't know a lot about the game, but he has done well enough to have a few people build decks specifically to beat him.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Matsuri posted:

How viable are Slivers in Pauper? Seems like they could be a lot of fun, but my guess is they probably get wrecked by Pestilence decks, don't they.

It's certainly good; the deck can be incredibly fast if left untouched. The problem is when you play out your creatures one by one and they get picked off by counters or removal, then you have no cards left in your hand. Recent downshift Lead the Stampede is helpful, but people have been more excited about that card's implications for Elves, rather than Slivers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Matsuri posted:

It's a two color aggressive deck that's weak to Delver and Elves. Lead the Stampede definitely helps but playing a two color aggressive deck in Pauper is real difficult since you will suffer from mana issues frequently and if you're not as powerful as the mono-color aggressive decks then why bother?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Because they're slivers.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Guys!

I played in my first pauper tournament and I placed high enough to win a free pack! :yayclod:

The fun part is that I got to pick any pack, and I chose an unstable pack for them sweet sweet borderless lands and got a forest. This was also my very first MTG pack I've ever opened, so I earned my first. I was super stoked!

There were only 16 people in the tournament, and my flgs does them every Wednesday, so it wasn't a big deal or anything, but I had a blast and played with my infect deck you guys helped me build. :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I wish I had a local shop that did Pauper on a regular basis. :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats!

Some Numbers posted:

I wish I had a local shop that did Pauper on a regular basis. :smith:

Same. I'm hoping that Pauper recognition in GPs will kick up some enthusiasm for the format around here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Guys!

I played in my first pauper tournament and I placed high enough to win a free pack! :yayclod:

The fun part is that I got to pick any pack, and I chose an unstable pack for them sweet sweet borderless lands and got a forest. This was also my very first MTG pack I've ever opened, so I earned my first. I was super stoked!

There were only 16 people in the tournament, and my flgs does them every Wednesday, so it wasn't a big deal or anything, but I had a blast and played with my infect deck you guys helped me build. :3:

Are you in the Portland area by any chance?

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Assuming you mean Oregon, there are a couple stores that have dedicated Pauper nights. Time Vault (downtown on Broadway) has theirs Monday night and generally gets 6-8 people, and I think Red Castle Games (in the Southeast) has theirs on Thursday, but doesn't advertise it, so it doesn't fire consistently. If there are other stores that you know of that play Pauper, please let me know!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Southeast Michigan actually. RIW hobbies in Livonia. They did a 2k event last Saturday that had 59 people in it. They do Unstable drafts on Thursdays that are a total blast. Everyone is running around and doing goofy rear end stuff.

If you live in the area, check them out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

trillocity posted:

Assuming you mean Oregon, there are a couple stores that have dedicated Pauper nights. Time Vault (downtown on Broadway) has theirs Monday night and generally gets 6-8 people, and I think Red Castle Games (in the Southeast) has theirs on Thursday, but doesn't advertise it, so it doesn't fire consistently. If there are other stores that you know of that play Pauper, please let me know!

Retro Game Trader in Beaverton is trying to get Wednesday night Pauper going. So far it's a very (very) soft crowd, but it's no entry cost and the staff is friendly. I have never actually been out to Time Vault, I should hit it up one of these days.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Southeast Michigan actually. RIW hobbies in Livonia. They did a 2k event last Saturday that had 59 people in it. They do Unstable drafts on Thursdays that are a total blast. Everyone is running around and doing goofy rear end stuff.

If you live in the area, check them out.
Jon is a good dude and did a lot of work for that event. Was pretty great to see it do so well.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

For sure. He's been helping me learn the game along with my friends at the store. There really is a good community of players there, regardless of format. They do a good job of weeding out the nonsense.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
As a former employee of a SE Michigan LGS, I will say that area is really fortunate to have a lot of really great stores and store owners/employees. I miss being able to drive 30 minutes and get to pick from 10 stores to attend an event at.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Yeah I hadn't realized how abundant they are until I heard about guys in the 40k thread talking about driving an hour or more to their closest store.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Familiars is still great. UG Turbofog players have no justification for getting this salty with their matchups.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
finally got my first 5-0 by giving up on trying to make trinket mage work and just netdecking the first flicker control list I saw

only change i made was swapping hydroblasts with annuls because Curse of the Pierced Heart is the only red spell I remotely care about. Annul seems pretty good imo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

finally got my first 5-0 by giving up on trying to make trinket mage work and just netdecking the first flicker control list I saw

only change i made was swapping hydroblasts with annuls because Curse of the Pierced Heart is the only red spell I remotely care about. Annul seems pretty good imo

Hydroblast is for Atog mostly. Having a way to defend against Atog+Fling makes Affinity fold.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So Pauper at GP's. What cards will we see jump up to $5 or $10? Will the current $5-$10 dollar cards go up? This is going to be fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

So Pauper at GP's. What cards will we see jump up to $5 or $10? Will the current $5-$10 dollar cards go up? This is going to be fun.

If Pauper becomes an actual GP format rather than just side events: any Legacy or Modern staple that also is a Pauper staple (Nettle Sentinel, Gush/Daze), any older card with no paper common printing (Battle Screech, Chainer's Edict), and Ash Barrens will be ridiculously expensive if they never bother to reprint the stupid thing. Blows my goddamn mind they didn't bother reprinting Ash Barrens in the cycling set...

If it's just a side event format prices will probably stay mostly the same or gradually rise for the multi-deck staples like Ash Barrens and the cantrips.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Monarchs?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Commons from Conspiracy 2 aren't likely to be particularly expensive.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I've heard some suggestions that they could see a jump, but who knows.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

They could see a jump to two quarters instead of one I guess.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

they're draft chaff from a recent set that get played as a 2 or 3 of. the only reason they cost so much online is that the set they're from was never released

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Online price could jump if pauper gps cause mtgo pauper to become more popular.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
so what you're saying is is build a bunch of good pauper decks before the newbie spikes come in and wreck the prices

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

so what you're saying is is build a bunch of good pauper decks before the newbie spikes come in and wreck the prices

No because WotC will eventually raise the rates on the cards in chests if the card prices get too ridiculous. They eventually got Gorilla Shaman's price down, hopefully they'll increase the rate on the Monarch cards and Ash Barrens.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I meant in paper. I don't really play MTGO because spending money on virtual cards on top of my paper collection feels silly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I meant in paper. I don't really play MTGO because spending money on virtual cards on top of my paper collection feels silly.

The cards aren't worth anything now so if you want to go ahead and build a bunch of decks but that may or may not be a pointless hassle if you don't have a place to play Pauper already. I wish Pucatrade didn't turn to poo poo, that site made getting large numbers of random bulk commons real easy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

The cards aren't worth anything now so if you want to go ahead and build a bunch of decks but that may or may not be a pointless hassle if you don't have a place to play Pauper already. I wish Pucatrade didn't turn to poo poo, that site made getting large numbers of random bulk commons real easy.

The only decks I really want to build that I don't really have are Burn, Affinity, and Slivers-- and the only really "pricey" cards among those that I don't already have are in Burn. So I guess I'm not too bad off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

The only decks I really want to build that I don't really have are Burn, Affinity, and Slivers-- and the only really "pricey" cards among those that I don't already have are in Burn. So I guess I'm not too bad off.

Legends Chain Lightnings are under :10bux: and everything else from Burn sees Modern and/or Legacy play so go for it. Buying a pile of artifact lands is gonna suck if you don't get to play with them but whatever.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

They could see a jump to two quarters instead of one I guess.

little munchkin posted:

they're draft chaff from a recent set that get played as a 2 or 3 of. the only reason they cost so much online is that the set they're from was never released
The idea that they could see a jump was suggested by someone who plays a lot more Pauper than I do, so I was just curious. Investing in a common always seems like a bad idea, as a reprint wrecks it. I have trouble consistently playing MTGO, so I am very hopeful that Pauper on paper becomes a thing both locally and at larger events.

What are the most expensive cards in the format on paper currently?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Legends Chain Lightnings are under :10bux: and everything else from Burn sees Modern and/or Legacy play so go for it. Buying a pile of artifact lands is gonna suck if you don't get to play with them but whatever.

Oh yeah. I still need to stock up on artifact lands too, since the ones I already have are currently in my EDH decks. Ow.

I have a friend on another forum who's looking into building UG Delver to shake things up, using cards like Rancor and Vines of Vastwood to pump the fliers. I'm trying to think of tech to suggest to him. Any thoughts? (I'm kind of digging the idea too, but personally I think a UR Delver deck that uses pump spells and finishing off with Temur Battle Rage would be better-- but in that case you'd be better off building Izzet Blitz...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vital Signs posted:

What are the most expensive cards in the format on paper currently?

Oubliette is over 20, that's probably the biggest one that sees some amount of actual play. EDIT: Also sinkhole, assuming it doesn't eat a ban if paper pauper takes off.

Those two are the only relevant commons that are over 10 bucks.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 30, 2017