Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/943596620708446210

Guillotine.

USA Today is not doing too hot on their tweets and their stories lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's kind of funny that even millionaires don't benefit that much, only turbo millionaires and billionaires.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

It's kind of funny that even millionaires don't benefit that much, only turbo millionaires and billionaires.

No millionaire has his income set up like that guy. It's a story about a fictional person just like almost all the rest of the taxpayers in that story.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm dreading Christmas dinner at my future-in-laws because I know someone is going to loving bring this up and I'm gonna have to bite my tongue incredibly hard so as to not ruin the holiday for myself and my fiance. It took her awhile to understand that the estate tax isn't officially called the death tax and that her parents are loving scaremongering about it to her and her siblings when it likely won't affect them and if it does, barely (they are very well off but not THAT well off).

The other day out of left field, my future FIL drops this gem "The economy in 98 was good because of the internet, not because of Clinton or anything the government did"

No :ironicat: big enough for that statement.

I'm just abandoning my entire family. Mom's dead, gently caress everyone else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hi I’m a single millionaire and I rent an apartment....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That Works posted:

Hi I’m a single millionaire and I rent an apartment....

congrats on completing your residency at cedars sinai

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Parents and brother hate Trump and Republicans in general.

Maternal grandma joined a Baptist church after grandpa died and believes any dumb poo poo she hears there. He was a union plumber and hated Republicans.

Maternal grandparents hated Republicans but grandpa died in 2014 and grandma has Alzheimer's and hasn't been too aware of anything that's happened in recent years. If they were still around and aware of what was going on the stress probably would have killed them anyway.

Paternal aunt and uncle hate Trump despite being way upper middle class.

Maternal uncle is the idiot who went hella bankrupt, and thought Iraq was a brilliant move. His son (Negligently fired a pistol into his leg a few years back) thinks the same way he does. Don't know about my aunt but she's no ideologue. The daughter probably hates Trump.

Other maternal aunt and uncle are Evangelicals who homeschooled their kids. Not sure what their kid's opinions are.

Yet another maternal aunt and uncle. My mom's youngest sister decided to leave home at age 16 and finish high school down south. She's on husband number 3 and her kids are all fuckups. I'd hazard a guess I know who they voted for. Thankfully I almost never see them.

Edit:
Paternal great uncle. Grew up during the great depression and worked very hard so his kids wouldn't have to know what that was like. Really mad that all his kids grew up to be rich Republican assholes.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 21, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Only my idiot senile grandfather the illegal immigrant who married a citizen and got a strong union job voted for trump.

Grandma, bless her heart, is dead so there’s no point talking to him.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Only my idiot senile grandfather the illegal immigrant who married a citizen and got a strong union job voted for trump.

Grandma, bless her heart, is dead so there’s no point talking to him.

I went to a tiny Mom and Pop Jamacian restaurant about two months ago and there was an old Jamacian immigrant trying to convince everyone trump was awesome.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I know it's California and all, but this seemed to be rather short sighted...

https://twitter.com/Fightfor15LA/status/943549809260052480

At least three of these guys are in flippable districts. Five if you want to be really generous.

Yeah, I’m close to Duncan Hunters district but not close enough to vote. gently caress that dude.

Also lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Soulex posted:

Yeah, I’m close to Duncan Hunters district but not close enough to vote. gently caress that dude.

Also lol.

Volunteer to canvas for the opposition. I live in a blue district in San Diego and I'm gonna do that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

If I had the time, I would.

Him and Isla got to go.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My family tree is mostly true red believers. My younger brother some how became a hardcore trump dude after he got a medical discharge after a training incident involving rolling an MRAP busted him up bad enough the army didn't want him and will not concede that his disability and VA care are entitlements or welfare. My mom is afraid of..."minorities" robbing and accosting her in her upper middle class suburban predominately white neighborhood, and my father is a TAXATION IS THEEEEEFFFFT libertarian with a sprinkling of "WHAT OF THE IRISH SLAVES!?! EH!"

Some how my older brothers politics became far left, and I'm here making CAD models of guillotines and wondering what if. It's an unspoken rule no politics over holidays, they get heated.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Merry Something and Happy Whatever!

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/943447593513873408

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Soulex posted:

Also lol.

Yeah you should help organize people to toss his vapist rear end out

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not gonna lie but with this essential repeal of the ACA and tax cuts I'm legitimately nervous about what is going to happen to hospital systems. My place of employment, which literally has a monopoly on all of central Oregon is facing a god drat financial crisis at the moment due to less insured individuals and decrease revenue. I can only imagine this is going to make poo poo worse.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
I prentend to be Ill so people will touch me. Munchkins deases or something. Like, look at my dick rash!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'm not gonna lie but with this essential repeal of the ACA and tax cuts I'm legitimately nervous about what is going to happen to hospital systems. My place of employment, which literally has a monopoly on all of central Oregon is facing a god drat financial crisis at the moment due to less insured individuals and decrease revenue. I can only imagine this is going to make poo poo worse.

I make my living working with rural hospitals, I’m scared shitless for what this stuff means for most of my facilities. One of our senators is from a poorer rural community and his vote probably killed the hospital in his hometown, but it’s ok because his parents will be able to pass down their tractor business to him without having to pay estate tax!

2018 is gonna be real interesting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah you should help organize people to toss his vapist rear end out

When it gets close enough I might have time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
all roads lead to single-payer. either we do it now or we let it collapse under the weight of pharma/insurance/provider bullshit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

all roads lead to single-payer. either we do it now or we let it collapse under the weight of pharma/insurance/provider bullshit.

this is a country that fought a war against itself over the question of slavery

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Let’s do it again. Let the south try to rise.

America is making the world great again. So many countries are basically like “uh internet access is gonna be protected.”

We need a bill of rights for consumers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

How long would Civil War 2.0 be able to sustain itself against the capture of a few dozen pipeline terminals and blockade of Houston and New Orleans?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Civil war 2.0 will be city vs rural, not south vs north.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MRC48B posted:

Civil war 2.0 will be city vs rural, not south vs north.

I'm imagining all of the pitfalls of nazi war production plus everyone making their poo poo is an illiterate shitkicker constantly whacked out of their gourd on oxycontin working on losing their second limb to diabetes.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lurks Morington posted:

I prentend to be Ill so people will touch me. Munchkins deases or something. Like, look at my dick rash!

Hey bud, you need to take a time out from posting in GiP for a while. I’ll ask you nicely to go away, just this once. After that, I’m banning you. Sorry if that’s harsh, but we’ve got enough home grown organic crazy sauce of our own to deal with.

Come back in like, let’s say a month.
Cool? Cool.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

I'm imagining all of the pitfalls of nazi war production plus everyone making their poo poo is an illiterate shitkicker constantly whacked out of their gourd on oxycontin working on losing their second limb to diabetes.

You think the cities will have the advantage there?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

Yes.

I would hate to see the EOF for both sides.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

why the hell do you think cities came to exist in the first place

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

why the hell do you think cities came to exist in the first place

Trade. Why?

And if you really want to make the historical reference, cities were loving death traps during war without sufficient hardened defenses and trained soldiers, and sometimes even with.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

Trade. Why?

And if you really want to make the historical reference, cities were loving death traps during war without sufficient hardened defenses and trained soldiers, and sometimes even with.

I want to see the 54th rascal brigade try to roll into St. Louis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: St Louis (and Baltimore) will burn itself to the ground in Judge Dredd-style block wars before the rascals are even charged up to move.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Godholio posted:

:lol: St Louis (and Baltimore) will burn itself to the ground in Judge Dredd-style block wars before the rascals are even charged up to move.

Your enemies are both highly dangerous and contemptuously weak, you say?

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Laranzu posted:

I want to see the 54th rascal brigade try to roll into St. Louis.

There's a movie called Bushwick on Netflix where the premise is this but in Bushwick.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The war is already being fought around you on Facebook. Get yourself a bot net and go do meme battle for the soul of America.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
St. Louis mentioned

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

Trade. Why?

Because trade flourished in optimal conditions - favorable geography, stable and functioning infrastructure, a government at some length that directed the collective defense of the city. Like sure I'd agree with you on the death traps thing if this were the fifth century BCE and aircraft didn't exist, or this was to be a symmetrical conflict where rural seditionist militias ran combat operations out of their airbases but it ain't, and expectations of NYC falling like Rome to Brennus or Houston being crumbled into the sea like Carthage are woefully unfounded as to be on the verge of romantic delusion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rural rebels would have to be organized and hit hard before whatever equipment they have falls apart. Also they would have to stock a giant insulin reserve. It will be a bloody mess either way.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

this thread is just getting stupider and stupider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

We have embassies in all of the places that I mentioned, minus Guinea Bissau but we still engage with their government from Senegal. And we were also really involved in providing the diplomatic and political backing for South Sudan, which is one roiling cauldron of war crimes, official impunity and other sundry horrors.

You’re totally correct that China isn’t going to care about human rights violations or lovely regimes. At least the US has continued to put the screws to Kabila and the DRC over the former’s forgetting to hold elections last year.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/lake-chad-the-worlds-most-complex-humanitarian-disaster

quote:

Lake Chad: The World’s Most Complex Humanitarian Disaster
Boko Haram, climate change, predatory armies, and extreme hunger are converging on a marginalized population in Central Africa.
I don't know if I've posted this before (or if someone else did) but it's a great article about the Lake Chad region. We don't really get to play the "China doesn't care about HR violations" card these days.

• Locked thread