Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Did dark Id say he was gonna getting the short stories like did the stage play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The machine network wasn't just being dicks by making 9S confront 2B. They were trying to make him confront the truth behind their relationship.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Wipfmetz posted:

Remember: he learned it from the commander. Just imagine having to kill your coworkers and friends over and over again, only because your higher-up keeps telling them The Secret.

I suspect the commander normally doesn't tell anyone. She told 9S at that time because he was already over halfway to uncovering the secret on his own, and telling him the "truth" kept him from digging further, into things that she may have known existed but didn't herself have the authority to know details about, which could have been catastrophic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe 2B had already received her orders. That's why she deliberately seperated herself from 9S during the escape from the Bunker.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Lone Badger posted:

Maybe 2B had already received her orders. That's why she deliberately seperated herself from 9S during the escape from the Bunker.

She's a psychologically shattered mental trainwreck, she was kinda bound to go death-seeking in a Taro story eventually. 9S at least has the solace of being memory wiped to factory settings after every murder but she's been doing this for years

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bit harder to tell in the English VA because the voice direction isn't great by any stretch for 2B/Kira Buckland (don't read that as saying she did a bad job) and she always sounds a little pissed off but if you replay it in Japanese, there's a part of the intro where 2B snaps into a frenzied panic that sounds super out of character where she's panicked as hell, which in hindsight is a perfect "oh for fucks sake, not again" thing.

I do wish they were able to animate two new scenes of 2E terminating 9S which make better sense because the two times we see it in game used for flashbacks it's justified by the context entirely for that part but this game was a shoestring budget title which gives as much as it can with what it has so I'm willing to let it slide. The other time where they go back to the bunker in this route after using their black boxes is also justified by context too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I bet there's a secret ending you get by pressing B to exit the dialogue. And like, they both end up frozen in a standoff, waiting for the other one to make the first move.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

painedforever posted:

~WHOA~

I somehow find that seriously awesome.

Is 2B the only "B" who is secretly an "E"? Because there were other "B" in the game, right?

The B series is legit, see for example 21O getting turned into 21B.
What isn't legit is the 2 designation: all 2*anything* in YoRHa, apart from A2 who is the prototype, are 2E androids undercover*. Although I don't think we meet any 2*anything* apart from !2B and A2.

*assuming I understood correctly that YoRHa reserved the 2 personality for the E series

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I order everyone itt to halt all logical thought and speech.

"Proposal denied, this Pod is programmed to offer continuous suport, though not as talkative as Pod042." Is what I wish 153 would have answered to 9S, while we'd hear A2 sighing and 042 deny the talkative part.

->Edit: Id is indeed likely to talk about the additional content, I remove it for now then<-

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

Yunlihn fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 21, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yunlihn posted:

On a sidenote, there is official material Id is likely going to cover later so maybe I shouldn't link it.

Maybe just hold your horses moose a bit.

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
My bad, I got carried away (I just love this game that much). I've deleted it to let Id mention it.

Back on tracks, 2B's opening quote takes a new sense too after The Reveal "Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him" might not be ONLY about the never-ending war.

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I do wish they were able to animate two new scenes of 2E terminating 9S which make better sense because the two times we see it in game used for flashbacks it's justified by the context entirely for that part but this game was a shoestring budget title which gives as much as it can with what it has so I'm willing to let it slide. The other time where they go back to the bunker in this route after using their black boxes is also justified by context too.

Yeah, "strangling the guy infected with horrible virus" and "well, we're about to get stomped by multiple living loving oil rigs, cheers" don't strike me as executions that much.

It'd be a very cheap change to make (I assume) but imagine if when replaying the strangling animation they kept the camera on 9S' face as 2B strangled him but they kind of "flashed" through multiple instances so we start with hosed up 9S, flash to not-so-hosed up 9S, flash to not-so-hosed up 9S in a different locale, etc to make it clear that this has happened over and over again.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Screaming Idiot posted:

So did they ever explain what happened to 9S after he uploaded himself into a shitload of machines or is that just another plotline Yoko-san Sapporo'd out of existence?

Route B is actually 9S recompiling his memories.

EDIT:

Yunlihn posted:

"Proposal denied, this Pod is programmed to offer continuous suport, though not as talkative as Pod042." Is what I wish 153 would have answered to 9S, while we'd hear A2 sighing and 042 deny the talkative part.

True comedy option would be for Pod 153 to start doing her best impression of Master Shake.

Anyway, the LP has gotten to the point where I can finally share this:

Hypothosis: @dril is Yoko Taro's ghost account :tinfoil:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 21, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No-one can prevent 9S from getting owned, even if he has to kill every single thing on the planet first.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Ok that’s a good twist. I really like that half their conversation is just a wide shot of the two facing off against the horizon.

So initially we’re told that there’s a whole human civilization living on the moon, then find out it’s just a server programmed to send orders, and I guess only the Commander and maybe a few more know about it. However, here Nines says that even the human server is a lie? Is that right or am I misreading?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
He says the YorHa server is a lie because it like all of YorHa was made to self destruct.

Iirc we don't ever get a reason for why. I'm assuming the plan was either to start a new YorHa after every X years or humanity thought a solution would be found.

Or this was all humanity's last middle finger salute to the machines/aliens.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

ManSedan posted:

However, here Nines says that even the human server is a lie? Is that right or am I misreading?

I think he's just not coping real well with the string of :yokotaro: that's been happening to him. He probably would have been down for at least protecting that tiny remnant earlier, a few mindfucks back up the line when he wasn't COMPLETELY mentally broken, but at this point he might actually be willing to destroy the human server his own drat self if he could get to the moon, just so that he doesn't have to cope with the machines or android command or whoever the gently caress taking that one last little thing from him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
9S annoyed the poo poo out of me this entire route when I played through it. I understand his reasons for going batshit, but kid still bugs me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mokinokaro posted:

He says the YorHa server is a lie because it like all of YorHa was made to self destruct.

Iirc we don't ever get a reason for why. I'm assuming the plan was either to start a new YorHa after every X years or humanity thought a solution would be found.

Or this was all humanity's last middle finger salute to the machines/aliens.

The way I interpreted it when I was catching up on the LP over the past few days (so everything is still fresh in my mind), is YoRHa is (was) the only remaining group that knows the truth about humanity at any level, and is the only group in regular contact with the "humans" on the moon. Therefore, by destroying YoRHa, you both eliminate all knowledge of the truth, as well as any ability to contact the "Council of Humanity" (the androids on the moon will be taken care of indefinitely by their regular shipments of water and empty crates, which are likely automated at this point). The intended result, given other information available, is to prevent a relapse of the initial despondency androids felt over the extinction of humanity, and ensure they continue to feel a sense of purpose in perpetuity.

Given that not even the commander was involved in the SS-level stuff and all the other androids are supposed to be in the dark, one can theorize that the androids behind this plot are, in fact, the very androids that are on the moon sending out "Council of Humanity" broadcasts, or else they found some other way to eliminate their own knowledge of the truth (I mean, they could just hide and keep the secret, but given the lengths they went to, it stands to reason they want their knowledge completely out of circulation, through either isolation or death).

By the way, this actually kind of mirrors Nier's plot in a way. Basically, a semi-automated system was designed to ensure the survival of a species (androids kept from falling into despair by creating and then destroying YoRHa to prevent the Terrible Secret of Space from ever getting out vs. the Gestalt System), which failed because it didn't account for the raw determination of a crazy person (9S vs. Nier). The only question now is whether or not 9S will completely follow in Nier's footsteps and end up revealing the Terrible Secret of Space to the other androids, thus ensuring their eventual demise from hopelessness, the way Nier murdering the gently caress outta the Shadowlord doomed humanity and the replicants.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

9S annoyed the poo poo out of me this entire route when I played through it. I understand his reasons for going batshit, but kid still bugs me.

I had the total opposite reaction. I really felt for him and wanted to see him succeed against the rising tide of horror that was washing over him. Poor 9S...

Poor everyone.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm with the other poster who thought 2E was a total rear end pull when they first got to that part of the game, but when we got to the E model sidequest in the LP (which I didn't ever find) a lightbulb went off.

As I remember it was 9S who originally suggested detonating the black boxes in the opening.

I feel like half this horror could have been avoided if A2 had waited 5 minutes before fileting 2B or she was somehow able to channel the spirit of Ronald Reagan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Omobono posted:

The B series is legit, see for example 21O getting turned into 21B.
What isn't legit is the 2 designation: all 2*anything* in YoRHa, apart from A2 who is the prototype, are 2E androids undercover*. Although I don't think we meet any 2*anything* apart from !2B and A2.

*assuming I understood correctly that YoRHa reserved the 2 personality for the E series

YoRHa can deploy multiples of the same personality types on missions, so theoretically, during the entirety of this game there could be a 2B operating on the dark side of the planet doing stuff, but they tend to avoid this because it causes issues with making everything make sense when they collate combat data.
A 2E unit who was working with a lesser spec model unit than 9S or solo would have no reason to hide the fact she's an E type though, they'd not figure anything important out. Though that's a bit of a non-issue because a unit that won't figure things out or desert won't be accompanied by an E-Type anyway. Remember from the intro of the game that they're not a secret or anything. She's a fringe case because 9S is Rain ManBoy.

In terms of combat capability though, B and E types are obviously very similar or the same and I would imagine the only thing that really differentiates them is that it's easier for the Commander to flick the switch for friendly fire on E types than B types, or special training or the knowledge that they'll probably end up fighting YoRHa units too.
Like the email saying A2 is the basis for E types says, personality dictates the general ability as well so we might be best to assume that 2B holds her own against other units purely because she's "2"B.

Think back to route A where we had the side-quest to kill the YoRHa deserters and you'll notice now that only 2"B" got the email telling them about them and that the cover story about them stealing from the resistance is probably something pre-baked for 2B to tell 9S, and it wasn't expected that 9S would go questioning it and 2B's reaction to all that is her not knowing what to say because she can't say too much she gives her mission away and has to kill 9S, so she says nothing because she's sort of in a check mate there. That's another thing the Japanese voice acting delivers extremely well, incidentally.

It might have been mentioned back at the time of the E-Type mission in Route B but emails also suggest that a YoRHa E-Type also killed the poo poo out of the frankensteined S unit and the resistance member out in the desert.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 21, 2017

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
it turns out that 'Romeos and Juliets' is just the plot of the game

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I am slightly curious about is if the number of 2Bs that 9S fought represents the number of times that 9S had been killed by 2B.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As I remember it was 9S who originally suggested detonating the black boxes in the opening.

2B still had to agree to do it. And from her reaction afterwards, she didn't know that 9S hadn't fully backed himself up. For her, it went from "Oh well, we had to blow up our bodies to finish the mission" to "I unknowingly killed him, without being ordered to".

But mostly, I think it's because it's one of the two times we see her kill 9S in the game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ixjuvin posted:

It's the proper way to reference a Shakespeare play in other media: use it as foreshadowing and/or framing like in Shakespeare's play within a play scenes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kassad posted:

2B still had to agree to do it. And from her reaction afterwards, she didn't know that 9S hadn't fully backed himself up. For her, it went from "Oh well, we had to blow up our bodies to finish the mission" to "I unknowingly killed him, without being ordered to".

But mostly, I think it's because it's one of the two times we see her kill 9S in the game.

Three, but the third is basically the same thing.
2B and 9S don't play nicely at dogpiles.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
2B is probably operating on the belief that once the war ends she won't have to keep killing 9S anymore, so it probably hurt her even more that just as the tide of the war is seemingly turning to the androids' favor, she still had to kill her beloved with her own hands.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyway, the LP has gotten to the point where I can finally share this:

Hypothosis: @dril is Yoko Taro's ghost account :tinfoil:

That would mean Yoko Taro is directly involved in Homestuck and I'm not sure the world could handle that at this point

Yunlihn posted:

"Proposal denied, this Pod is programmed to offer continuous hot takes :discourse:"

fixed

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Oh and there's this bit from when they're sent down to Earth after the prologue.

quote:

9S: Hey, 2B. Why do you think they sent a combat model like you to a recon job? If all they want is intel, we Scanner models are built for that kind of thing.
2B: Order are orders.
9S: Alright, alright.

9S had his suspicions from the beginning.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Ixjuvin posted:

YUP

Goddamn I love this game. I love how Taro Yoko is the master of the "sleight of hand" plot twist. He distracts you with the incredibly obvious "humanity is extinct" twist, and you're paying so much attention to those hints that you completely miss all the 2E poo poo he keeps sliding right under your nose. It's like those videos that ask you to keep track of how many times a basketball is passed between players, and after counting them it then asks you if you saw the gorilla who's very conspicuously in frame. That's basically how he writes.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Automata is the Fight Club of videogames.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ryas posted:

Oh and there's this bit from when they're sent down to Earth after the prologue.

9S had his suspicions from the beginning.

I wonder how many times they had to have that conversation.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Hey 2B, don't you think it's strange that-"

"No."

"But Command said that-"

"NO."

"Oh! Maybe the humans are actually-"

"Oh for gently caress's sake, Nines."

"Hey, you called m-"

(sword noises)

(sad music)

"It always ends like this."

(repeat forever)

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!

The Fat Swordsman posted:

Ro-Shi and Ko-Shi

Taro Yoko

Nah, there's no meaning to anything the machines do.

I thought it was worplay on koroshi.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I played this game through to the end, albeit not finishing a lot of the sidequests (including the E model sidequest), and I don't remember the revelation of 2B being an E model at all. It didn't register as important for me in the slightest when it was revealed, apparently.

I feel like some games place way too little emphasis on the ramifications of major plot points. If your story is too understated to have an impact on the player, you aren't doing a good job of storytelling.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
At some point early in Route C when I was playing, I figured out a theme for it, which just proved more and more true as the run went on.

"Everyone/everything breaks"

And boy howdy has a lot of breaking happened :yokotaro: :kheldragar:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kase moch posted:

I played this game through to the end, albeit not finishing a lot of the sidequests (including the E model sidequest), and I don't remember the revelation of 2B being an E model at all. It didn't register as important for me in the slightest when it was revealed, apparently.

I feel like some games place way too little emphasis on the ramifications of major plot points. If your story is too understated to have an impact on the player, you aren't doing a good job of storytelling.

On the other hand, nothing will have impact if the player isn't paying attention.

The 2E reveal recontextualizes almost every single interaction between 2B and 9S. I have no idea how it didn't make an impact on you :psyduck:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I do remember wondering what was going on with 2B when A2 found that memory suggesting that wasn't her real name, but unfortunately I didn't get to wonder long since some guy just blatantly spoiled this entire twist right here in the thread. So, much of the impact lost there, although looking back at all the hints and the way it recontextualizes a bunch of previous dialogic is still pretty neat.

In a way 9S having the logic virus now is a relief. Like it's no longer this needless and tragic fight I've been expecting between him and A2. Even aside from all the emotional trauma, he has the robot rabies now (from a 2B model) and needs to be put down for his own good. (by the model 2B was based on). That's two more 2B related deaths and she's been out of their picture this whole path. He loves 2B and she's literally a part of him now, but it's REALLY not good for his health...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Maybe you should’ve paid more attention to the endgame dramatic monologue that includes demonstrative flashbacks? There are plenty of things to pick apart in this game, but this particular example seems like user error.

• Locked thread