Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I had to psychologically abuse this thread for months to get the we're the rats title and I'll be damned if it's changing

once the counter for the rats we're the rats trick links goes past a certain point, the poster who crosses the finish line wins a fully painted skaven army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Everything I have read about the various mechanics and ideas going into the Tomb Kings has me doubly excited for them, the upkeep mechanics especially as I find the econ side of most of these games to be the least interesting aspect. I also hope the item crafting side of things is more than functionally a gimmick, half the time I forget what most of my lords are even carrying because they mostly convey such meager bonuses unless you luck into a solid collection.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

I had to psychologically abuse this thread for months to get the we're the rats title and I'll be damned if it's changing

The future is now old man!!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Pretty sure Pontus memes exist to make fun of total war nerds who were mad about Pontus, dude

Exactly my point! Complaining about new optional features.

People who have played the tabletop - is there a reason TK was never as popular as other factions?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Beamed posted:

People who have played the tabletop - is there a reason TK was never as popular as other factions?

every faction is a cliche of who you want to be or who you like

holy roman empire shot and pike? got it
france ye olde lordy time king arthur? got it
emo? got it
goth? got it
weird cat lady that lives alone? say hello to lizard men
weird cat lady that lives alone and smells bad? Yep skaven

Egypt just ain't that popular

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Third World Reggin posted:

Egypt just ain't that popular

It should be though, because Egypt kicks rear end :colbert:

Can we make pictures thread titles yet?

Beamed posted:

You were one of the guys mad about robots, weren't you?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Beamed posted:

They never really had a period of being super op and having a mass new model range, so never really took off, so they rarely got new army books etc etc.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

tarbrush posted:

They never really had a period of being super op and having a mass new model range, so never really took off, so they rarely got new army books etc etc.

Some players posted about the cool giant laser statues replacing something else - are you telling me giant laser statues isn't super op mass new model? :smith:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

That thing barely had rules and never got an actual model in TT, sadly. Tomb Kings got left in the dust real hard.

On the flip side, this also means the End Times era team never really had a chance to mess up TK fluff, which was pretty universally great.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What's the deal with Kemmler? Why does he look like a dollar store Gandalf and why is he apparently named after a Nazi?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

What's the deal with Kemmler? Why does he look like a dollar store Gandalf and why is he apparently named after a Nazi?

Because the supremacy of Germany must never be forgo- i-i mean because GW loves to make name references in their work!!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
He also was literally the first special character ever made in Warhammer, so he's not super original in his appeareance.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

packetmantis posted:

GW probably took the name from Heinrich Himmler: Known for being the main architect of the holocaust, being interested in occultism (according to some sources he apparently thought he was the reincarnation of a 12th century Teutonic knight), integrating occult symbols into Naziism and being a humongous rear end in a top hat in general.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Heinrich Himmler was involved in actual Nazi occult research so naming an evil Necromancer after him is a very Warhammer thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beamed posted:

In addition to what other people mentioned, the TK's models were more finicky than most to paint, IIRC, and spindlier than others'.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Settra can't be confederated? I love this. I love everything about this. :allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
And you dont feel too cheated since getting a confederation in this game is hard as balls anyways for most races!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Attempting to confed should get an immediate counter-offer war declaration imo, if not already at war.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

im down with the rats but you have to admit that "charlie don't serve" is really loving good

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Archonex posted:

Of loving course it was. The Gotrek and Felix series was awesome, and it's a shame that it got canceled and forced into a "rocks fall, everyone dies" style finale to act as fluff and hype for the end times event.

Hell, they were even developing interesting spin offs prior to that. It was basically branching out to become it's own "thing" within the franchise.

What was it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Comstar posted:

What was it?

I don't know if that was what Archonex meant, but you could call the Gotrek & Felix novels as "Warhammer Fantasy as Pulp" interpretation of the setting, in a similar way to how the RPG was "Peasant Misery Simulator Fantasy Cthulhu Edition" and Warhammer Fantasy Battles was "High Fantasy epic skirmishes".

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

GoLambo posted:

Everything I have read about the various mechanics and ideas going into the Tomb Kings has me doubly excited for them, the upkeep mechanics especially as I find the econ side of most of these games to be the least interesting aspect. I also hope the item crafting side of things is more than functionally a gimmick, half the time I forget what most of my lords are even carrying because they mostly convey such meager bonuses unless you luck into a solid collection.

I'm a bit worried about the item crafting stuff, it could be great but it could also mean you would get the same exact items every time. Meaning you start off with whatever natural resource Settra has (like porcelain for ex.) at his starting positions, get some jars, craft the item and the item is the same one in every campaign because the porcelain+jar combo crafts the same thing every time. I'm hoping it is a little bit more randomized than that tho sorta like how the High Elven Vaul rite works. You recognize the items after awhile but at least those 4 slots are randomized every time. My first Teclis campaign gave me an insane item to start with while others... not so lucky. Its the fun kind of RNG!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

I don't know if that was what Archonex meant, but you could call the Gotrek & Felix novels as "Warhammer Fantasy as Pulp" interpretation of the setting, in a similar way to how the RPG was "Peasant Misery Simulator Fantasy Cthulhu Edition" and Warhammer Fantasy Battles was "High Fantasy epic skirmishes".

Honestly, the RPG is more of 'Peasant Misery Simulator Except After Ten Or So Sessions You're a Kickass Knight Or Something.'

It gets increasingly pulp as time goes, it's not actually that hard to survive since you're supposed to get extra lives fairly regularly, and it's not hard to just start at second Career or something if you want to be badasses.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Night10194 posted:

Honestly, the RPG is more of 'Peasant Misery Simulator Except After Ten Or So Sessions You're a Kickass Knight Or Something.'

It gets increasingly pulp as time goes, it's not actually that hard to survive since you're supposed to get extra lives fairly regularly, and it's not hard to just start at second Career or something if you want to be badasses.

Oh, no doubt about it. It shares that similarity with Call of Cthulhu, where early characters are very vulnerable and the general reputation of the game is that you will either be maimed horribly or go insane if you survive, but often turns into pulpy action, but it is still how the game is generally perceived and how many adventures describe the setting.

Personally I do exactly that, start characters at their second career and with a bunch of house rules that make WFRP even more pulp.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We still often start at tier 1, but double EXP advancement until you're through it so it feels more like a character intro because sometimes it's really fun to have a bunch of random misfits gang up on a Chaos Warrior and beat him to death with shovels.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Night10194 posted:

We still often start at tier 1, but double EXP advancement until you're through it so it feels more like a character intro because sometimes it's really fun to have a bunch of random misfits gang up on a Chaos Warrior and beat him to death with shovels.

Well, shovels are notoriously lethal.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

You were one of the guys mad about robots, weren't you?

I don't want to build robots.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can't wait for chaos dwarves and their robots to be added to this game

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

turn off the TV posted:

You don't have to build robots.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vlex posted:

You don't have to build robots.

I DON'T WANNA FUCKIN BUILD ROBOTS

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

toasterwarrior posted:

im down with the rats but you have to admit that "charlie don't serve" is really loving good

Do the Tomb Kings have something to do with Apocalypse Now or the Vietnam War in general? Not sure I get that.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 21, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deakul posted:

Do the Tomb Kings have something to do with Apocalypse Now or the Vietnam War in general? Not sure I get the that.

I think it's just a reference to Settra's "Settra does not serve, SETTRA RULES!" quote.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I read that I always think of the O'Doyles from Billy Madison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNgRmsx-14

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deakul posted:

Do the Tomb Kings have something to do with Apocalypse Now or the Vietnam War in general? Not sure I get the that.

the settra rules thing, and also because there are tomb kings in lustria (even if they're not under settra)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

what is like, the deal with boyz will be boyz? Cataph says it's intended to be closer to the tabletop, but I haven't played Warhammer in years and have no idea what that means for Total War anyway. I had a chance to play one skirmish and mostly noticed that units seemed much more durable in terms of morale.

e; well I found this, which explains a bit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lK7oNq1jIxItvno_CfqCR1RY-4m-mIGtuWy2S9gOvEM/edit

It does look interesting, and he has a track record. I appreciate the earnestness at least, in comparison to the black box-ish Radious and SFO

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 21, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Beamed posted:

they were also hell to paint and very weak mechanically, because a patch schedule of "each faction gets one once in a three year period" results in some pretty major power differentials

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fuligin posted:

what is like, the deal with boyz will be boyz? Cataph says it's intended to be closer to the tabletop, but I haven't played Warhammer in years and have no idea what that means for Total War anyway. I had a chance to play one skirmish and mostly noticed that units seemed much more durable in terms of morale.

e; well I found this, which explains a bit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lK7oNq1jIxItvno_CfqCR1RY-4m-mIGtuWy2S9gOvEM/edit

It does look interesting, and he has a track record. I appreciate the earnestness at least, in comparison to the black box-ish Radious and SFO

Yeah I imagine it'll have some serious balance problems given TWs army composition issues, but still fun for those looking for TT-like results from combat.

Please post your thoughts if you decide to check it out!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Have they said how crumbling will work for TK? I imagine they'll just do it the same as VC, rather than bothering to let you have a liche priest as your Hierophant or anything.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

It was some poo poo about splitting fleets, robots are, again, the point of Pontus meme :v:

Night10194 posted:

My problem with the RPG is that my magic elf always goes insane. They make magic something cool and powerful, except.. it always feels lackluster.

Also I had a friend incredibly mad he couldn't be Skaven :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beamed posted:

It was some poo poo about splitting fleets, robots are, again, the point of Pontus meme :v:

My problem with the RPG is that my magic elf always goes insane. They make magic something cool and powerful, except.. it always feels lackluster.

Also I had a friend incredibly mad he couldn't be Skaven :D

There's a whole Skaven sourcebook, Children of the Horned Rat, including rules for player characters.