Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just got a new public beta update for my ip8

also someone posted the costco airpods for $140 right?

https://slickdeals.net/f/11073363-restock-costco-members-apple-airpods-bluetooth-earbuds-140-free-shipping

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Fly Ricky posted:

How far back do they do replacements? I've got an iPad 3 I still use on the regular in desperate need of one.

I’m not sure they’ll still service iPad 3s, those might be vintage now. You’d have to pop in to an Apple store to find out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pivo posted:

Either way, it's doable, but it's more difficult than walking into a store and paying for a new battery.

drat, just missed it. Thanks for the info.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

drat, just missed it. Thanks for the info.

Still worth a try to ask Apple, if you have some time to spare and a store near you. I mean, you did just miss it, they might have stock of the 4th gens to swap you into if they're feeling generous.

Although maybe the holidays aren't the best time to go to an Apple Store if you don't absolutely need to.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I shot some video in 4K/60fps on my X, and it looks sweet - what’s the easiest way to cast it to a 4K TV? Download to a computer and put it on a USB?

It’s a Sony smart TV with the built in Chromecasf, do those things handle 4K?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Could someone clarify the iPhone Upgrade Program for me? My understanding is that if you don't already have AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile as your provider, you have to pick one of them and switch to them, right? And your contract with them is for one year instead of the two years it would be by going through one of their financing programs? With the added benefit of having an unlocked phone if you decide not to upgrade.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TraderStav posted:

All I want are more double tap options.

e: Also come in different colors, at least Space Grey.
The only thing that would make me upgrade from my recently purchased AirPods would be a touch slider to let me adjust the volume without getting my phone out of my pocket.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Question Mark Mound posted:

The only thing that would make me upgrade from my recently purchased AirPods would be a touch slider to let me adjust the volume without getting my phone out of my pocket.

I'm surprised a third party accessory maker hasn't made some sort of volume rocker you can attach to a wristwatch or FitBit for those of us who don't want an Apple Watch.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Could someone clarify the iPhone Upgrade Program for me? My understanding is that if you don't already have AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile as your provider, you have to pick one of them and switch to them, right? And your contract with them is for one year instead of the two years it would be by going through one of their financing programs? With the added benefit of having an unlocked phone if you decide not to upgrade.

You're getting a 24-month interest-free loan from Apple for the phone and AppleCare+, with the option to trade in your old phone and upgrade anytime after 12 months (or making 12 months' worth of payments anytime after 6 months.) You can buy an unlocked iPhone through the Upgrade Program by asking for a Verizon model at the Apple Store.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

You're getting a 24-month interest-free loan from Apple for the phone and AppleCare+, with the option to trade in your old phone and upgrade anytime after 12 months (or making 12 months' worth of payments anytime after 6 months.) You can buy an unlocked iPhone through the Upgrade Program by asking for a Verizon model at the Apple Store.

And I don't have to actually sign up with Verizon? I use Cricket Wireless and I really like it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

And I don't have to actually sign up with Verizon? I use Cricket Wireless and I really like it.

Looks like it, since you are contracted through Apple who uses Citizen Bank.

https://www.imore.com/iphone-upgrade-program-faq-everything-you-need-know

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

No. I’m on at&t and I always ask them to give me the Verizon model (6S and 8).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This stupid iPhone throttling story is starting to catch on, ugh

“Apple ADMITS SECRET PLAN
to SLOW DOWN your old iPhone!”

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

This stupid iPhone throttling story is starting to catch on, ugh

“Apple ADMITS SECRET PLAN
to SLOW DOWN your old iPhone!”

Why is it stupid? And is Apple's official line still that they throttle your phone to compensate for the slow battery degradation, so rather than performance staying the same but battery life dropping, battery life stays the same and performance drops?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple disables throttling feature, users start complaining their old phones only last an hour on a full charge.

There's literally no way for them to win that fight, though I suppose they could have softened the blow a little bit by hiding the throttling in their developer documentation somewhere so the nerds didn't have to figure it out on their own, which is probably why the story blew up so much.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Overall battery life isn't the reason that they're stating for doing it, it's that the batteries on some older phones once they degrade literally can't provide enough current for the phone to do what it's aiming to do, and can result in the phone shutting itself off. They're not throttling performance at all times, they're throttling peak performance.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They didn't say they were doing it for battery life per se, they said they were doing it because the voltage drop caused the entire device to shut down when the power needs were too great. It's what was causing the 'sudden shutdown with 40% remaining' issue.

I think Apple's biggest problem was not telling people, hey your phone is in reduced performance mode because your battery probably can't handle the power draw. But a lot of people were affected and it would be a little scandal either way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pivo posted:

They didn't say they were doing it for battery life per se, they said they were doing it because the voltage drop caused the entire device to shut down when the power needs were too great. It's what was causing the 'sudden shutdown with 40% remaining' issue.

Oh, nice. Well, beyond making better hardware/design decisions so that won't happen, seems like the best they can do after the fact. Along with other problems, I know the Nexus 6p did something similar, sounded infuriating to have to deal with.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The monstrously idiotic response to this whole thing kinda buries the lede of why they seem to be the only manufacturer dealing with batteries that degrade to the point where they can't keep up with the hardware, if they're seemingly the only ones throttling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well android owners are used to being tethered to an outlet 24/7 so it's never been an issue for them.

Since iphones have a reputation for lasting a full day on a charge it hurts more when you can't get to work without needing a top off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And a ton of Android users seem to cycle their phones every 6 months for the latest and greatest so they never get to the point of battery degredation. I'm on a 6 because it generally still worked perfectly fine, and I didn't have a huge need to upgrade. But yeah, I kinda do now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I came here to complain about my 6S being noticeably slower and crashing much more frequently since iOS 11. It sounds like the official Apple line on this kind of thing is that they're slowing the phone down because the battery has degraded over the last 2 years?

If that's the case, why did this behavior only start for me after iOS 11? Did my battery just get lovely all of a sudden when they pushed a major software update?

If I paid for an Apple battery replacement, would it fix the issue completely?

I've had an iPhone of one kind or another since the 3G, and this is the first one I've held onto beyond 2 years. I like this phone and it's headphone jack. Smartphone technology is mature enough that I no longer feel the need to upgraded every two years. I would happily pay a couple hundred bucks to replace this phone's battery with a fresh one if that would make it work as well as it did the first two years I had it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The general consensus is a new battery should help substantially. You can either go the Apple route or if you're out of warranty, find a reputable 3rd party.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So the reason all these issues started immediately with iOS 11 for me is that the new OS was more demanding on the phone, thus exposing the degraded battery?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bawfuls posted:

So the reason all these issues started immediately with iOS 11 for me is that the new OS was more demanding on the phone, thus exposing the degraded battery?

It's been a common complaint for years when new iOS versions come out. If you go to macrumors there is incessant whining about it. I think 11 was one of the more botched iOS releases in a long time so yeah, it definitely seemed to expose the degraded batteries.

I also agree that it's a very stupid story because now I'm getting inundated with PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE on social media and it's grating.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I mean it is an obviously annoying thing to deal with and it was very noticeable when it started for me. It is pretty easy to see why most people would react with accusations of planned obsolescence.

Is a battery swap something an Apple store can do in an afternoon?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

The general consensus is a new battery should help substantially. You can either go the Apple route or if you're out of warranty, find a reputable 3rd party.

I'd love to see some numbers on this especially if the batteries do not have some type of inbuilt reporting on their age. I suggest people who think this is a fake controversy become more well acquainted with the science behind lithium ion batteries because a lot of the claims being made about this are dubious at best. To cause a modern lithium ion battery (even a "worn out" one) to drop below what is considered in modern low power portable systems to be a pretty high voltage of 3.3 volts would require, at the sizes of these cellphone batteries, attempting to draw multiple entire amps or the battery having less than around 10% charge. Most arm chips these days operate on voltages in the range of 2.2 to 1. over a typical 2 year 500 charge/discharge cycles usage pattern the battery should only be losing around 10-20% of its initial capacity, with the current delivery capabilities not significantly impacted at the relevant levels. Either apple cheaped out majorly on its batteries, committed some horrific sins with their power management circuitry, or is lying.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The dynamic peak performance functionality was released in iOS 10.2.1 and tweaked with 11.

Before this, the issue was iPhone 6S was liable to shut off randomly long before the battery indicator reached 0.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 21, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

Well android owners are used to being tethered to an outlet 24/7 so it's never been an issue for them.

Since iphones have a reputation for lasting a full day on a charge it hurts more when you can't get to work without needing a top off.

Uhh what? iPhones haven't had particularly impressive battery life for many generations now if you're a fairly heavy user. Standby is pretty great but that won't get you through an average work day.

sleepwalkers posted:

Overall battery life isn't the reason that they're stating for doing it, it's that the batteries on some older phones once they degrade literally can't provide enough current for the phone to do what it's aiming to do, and can result in the phone shutting itself off. They're not throttling performance at all times, they're throttling peak performance.

Yeah it's to stop the Nexus 6P situation from happening (where after a year or so of battery wear the phone would shut down under load at anything from 10 - 60%). Obviously it's far preferable to that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

Decent post from 2012

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like it's related to battery wear level too, not just new iOS version, but maybe the exact wear level that throttling starts or how aggressive it throttles gets tweaked each new update?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dairy Days posted:

I'd love to see some numbers on this especially if the batteries do not have some type of inbuilt reporting on their age. I suggest people who think this is a fake controversy become more well acquainted with the science behind lithium ion batteries because a lot of the claims being made about this are dubious at best. To cause a modern lithium ion battery (even a "worn out" one) to drop below what is considered in modern low power portable systems to be a pretty high voltage of 3.3 volts would require, at the sizes of these cellphone batteries, attempting to draw multiple entire amps or the battery having less than around 10% charge. Most arm chips these days operate on voltages in the range of 2.2 to 1. over a typical 2 year 500 charge/discharge cycles usage pattern the battery should only be losing around 10-20% of its initial capacity, with the current delivery capabilities not significantly impacted at the relevant levels. Either apple cheaped out majorly on its batteries, committed some horrific sins with their power management circuitry, or is lying.

Once again, read my post. I think it's a stupid controversy, not a fake one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Honestly it all went to poo poo once the fired Cue so Tim needs to suck it up and bring him back.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dairy Days posted:

become more well acquainted with the science behind lithium ion batteries because a lot of the claims being made about this are dubious at best

quote:

Zhang [44] produced cyclic voltammograms of Sony US18650S cells before and
after cycling and found a decrease in the peak currents with increasing cycle number
https://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/handle/1903/12381/Williard_umd_0117N_12841.pdf?sequence=1

44: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378775300004699
Can't access the PDF :/

Also in my experience with lithium ion batteries for flashlights and vapes - peak current definitely decreases with cycle count, but that's only anecdotal from my experience.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Nipples posted:

No. I’m on at&t and I always ask them to give me the Verizon model (6S and 8).

Awesome! I will probably go this route.

xzzy posted:

Apple disables throttling feature, users start complaining their old phones only last an hour on a full charge.

There's literally no way for them to win that fight, though I suppose they could have softened the blow a little bit by hiding the throttling in their developer documentation somewhere so the nerds didn't have to figure it out on their own, which is probably why the story blew up so much.

The win-win situation is to make it a setting you can disable. Give it a name that most users would be scared to turn off, make it enabled by default. "Enabling this feature may increase battery life and performance in older iPhone models."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pivo posted:

The dynamic peak performance functionality was released in iOS 10.2.1 and tweaked with 11.

Before this, the issue was iPhone 6S was liable to shut off randomly long before the battery indicator reached 0.
I don't know what those charts are showing, can you elaborate?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I don't know what those charts are showing, can you elaborate?

KDE of Geekbench scores on identical hardware across different iOS versions.

The peaks you see are iPhones returning that particular Geekbench score. It is highly correlated with CPU/GPU clock speed, on identical hardware.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So what is the conclusion you're trying to draw from this data? That those peaks represent clusters of iPhones that are only capable of reaching lower peak performance thresholds? And this is related to the battery issue somehow?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I posted a few months ago asking whether these were worth it, I suppose it’s time to pay the advice I got forward.

AirPods are the best Apple product in a decade. Absolutely fantastic in every way except the price and that sale helps address the price issue.

Having easy hassle free access to headphones in the lighter pocket of my jeans is the sort of thing that changed my day to day habits. In the past I couldn’t be bothered to dig out headphones from my locker, disentangle the cord and plug them in for a 15 minute coffee break. Now I find myself listening to music and podcasts on my coffee break daily.

Call quality is shockingly good as well. I made a call in heavy wind and rain walking along the highway with heavy traffic next to me with the hood on my hoodie up and the person on the other end said it was as clear as if I was sitting in the room next to them. Whatever noise cancelling magic Apple does is ridiculously effective.

Worth every penny and I paid full price for them.

counterpoint: they do make you look like a bit of a dingus. then again i'm at least mildly covetous of them so i'm probably noticing it more than most

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

So what is the conclusion you're trying to draw from this data? That those peaks represent clusters of iPhones that are underclocking? And this is related to the battery issue somehow?

Take a walk with me.

See the iPhone 6s charts? The leftmost shows Geekbench scores on 10.2.0. You can see that most everyone gets a score around 2400-2500, nearly no one reports a score outside that range.
Take a look at the middle one, 10.2.1. You can see that new clusters emerge, around 1400, 1700, 2200, and the previous benchmark of 2400-2500. Those three new clusters are iPhone 6S running Geekbench on 10.2.1 getting underclocked.
Then the last one, 11.2.0, you see the underclocked clusters grow in density, so more iPhones than before are being underclocked (Apple must've tweaked the treshhold sometime between 10.2.1 and 11.2.0).

It just shows a timeline of them implementing this battery workaround. That is to say, if you are experiencing an issue with your battery, it makes sense that you would notice it with iOS 11, even though it was there in 10.2.1.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is the kind of explanation I was looking for, thanks.