Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

So what happened to get us here?

You could argue that well the GOP knows it's hosed in the next elections so they are stripping copper wire out of the walls on their way out. Or you could argue that they know the fix is in so they similarly can behave in such a shameless fashion completely divorced from the needs of the vast majority of their constituents.

they believe if they end the session with no big legislative victory despite having total control then their base will turn on them for wasting everyone's time

they hosed up obamacare repeal, so this is their last big chance since it's gonna be a lot harder to gut ss/medicare/medicaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Instant Sunrise posted:

How bout that car bomb at the state department on 9/11?

and the fourth (or fifth depending on when the station you were watching reported it) plane crashing at Camp David. Being the sort of loving ghoul I am, I started rolling videotape that morning. Between those early as-it-happens tapes and the IRC logs (wherein friends from other states would report what the news station they were watching said) from that morning, there was a whole bunch of erroneous information being thrown about in the chaos.

One of my favorite personal quotes from said IRC logs is "I never thought I'd hear Dan Rather say 'orgy of terrorism'"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they believe if they end the session with no big legislative victory despite having total control then their base will turn on them for wasting everyone's time

they hosed up obamacare repeal, so this is their last big chance since it's gonna be a lot harder to gut ss/medicare/medicaid

It would have been nice to have them fail on this and see their donations dry up, and it's still possible but highly unlikely. Really, with unified control of the government they were almost certain to get at least some big accomplishments. It's a miracle we stopped as much as we did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Seems to me the GOP knows that when the ramifications of this tax bill really hit, the Democrats will be left holding the bag and in the position of having to "raise taxes". lord know FOX and Rushs will frame it like this.

E: also this belongs here:

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 20, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Seems to me the GOP knows that when the ramifications of this tax bill really hit, the Democrats will be left holding the bag and in the position of having to "raise taxes". lord know FOX and Rushs will frame it like this.

E: also this belongs here:

Democrats need to get on the ball and spend the next 2-6 years hammering home what happened. The danger of right wing media is when the rest of the media repeats their lies uncontested. The saving grace of this is that the narrative is already that this thing is a poo poo pile and a ticking time bomb because the GOP was so panicked to get it in as fast as possible it was obvious this is a smash and grab. Right wing media will always lie since that its purpose but it's on the rest of the media to be vigilant. In the last decade they haven't and have been led around by the nose by the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck so it's up the Democrats to scream constantly like the GOP did with the ACA. If the Democrats just sit there and try to find bipartisan solutions with a death cult or hope that the truth just magically surfaces by itself when the tax increases hit then yeah they (and we) are absolutely screwed.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The Muppets On PCP posted:

It's a strange "victory" that's the least unpopular piece of legislation in quite some time. Or is it ever? Their alleged base doesn't want this. Their real base, the donors, does want this. They don't give a poo poo. They've given up all pretense. I think we're all having a hard time truly accepting how craven and straightforward this is. They're cynically and blatantly doing this for their donors and they're almost daring their brainwashed fake base to have a mental break as they attempt to justify it to themselves.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

paternity suitor posted:

It's a strange "victory" that's the least unpopular piece of legislation in quite some time. Or is it ever? Their alleged base doesn't want this. Their real base, the donors, does want this. They don't give a poo poo. They've given up all pretense. I think we're all having a hard time truly accepting how craven and straightforward this is. They're cynically and blatantly doing this for their donors and they're almost daring their brainwashed fake base to have a mental break as they attempt to justify it to themselves.

The pundits that have been trying to sell "both sides are responsible" and that Republican politicians are acting in good faith despite the results of years of their policies always being bad are having a rough time trying to figure out how to spin this one. You even see a few true "bipartisanship is the goal of politics" believers publicly saying that they have no idea where this came from and are genuinely flummoxed by what is clearly publicly looting the country for personal gain. Our political media is so made up of people that have bought into their own fiction about how politics operate they have been caught flat footed by the Republicans just saying gently caress it throw off the mask and do what all the "crazy" people have been saying they were doing for years.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

paternity suitor posted:

It's a strange "victory" that's the least unpopular piece of legislation in quite some time. Or is it ever? Their alleged base doesn't want this.

every poll that's come out in the past couple weeks has republican support at minimum in the low 70s

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

paternity suitor posted:

Their base seem quite capable of believing black is white and up is down, so Republican politicians should be justifiably sanguine about the possibility of being punished for this. It’s carefully crafted not to hit salaried people in red states hard. In fact, since it is designed to automatically raise taxes in about 10 years, so if the flip/flop every 8 years pattern holds, Democrats should be in power, allowing them to campaign on “Evil Democrats raised your taxes!”

Very well done Paul, Mitch, you satanic fucks.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BarbarianElephant posted:

Their base seem quite capable of believing black is white and up is down, so Republican politicians should be justifiably sanguine about the possibility of being punished for this.

Yeah, never underestimate the right wing ability to repeat a lie often enough for it to become truth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty worried that this is going to be law for a long time, because corporations are going to do everything possible to preserve those tax cuts. Plus as mentioned, this bill probably will give a Dem Congress a recession to deal with

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Zwabu posted:

So what happened to get us here?
Republican voters chose tribal identity over the welfare of the country (and themselves, for that matter), and they vote like clockwork. Meanwhile, Democratic voters (the ones that aren't victims of voter suppression, mind you) have to be coddled and cajoled like skittish horses to show up and vote at all.

The fact that the Democrats basically contain what would be the entire government of a sane country doesn't help either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

Democrats need to get on the ball and spend the next 2-6 years hammering home what happened.

Considering that this "if" statement is totally going to the "else" clause (Northam, Jones, img-timeline, etc), I'd say it's significantly more important for people to realize and recognize that democrats aren't your friends.

They were never your friends, they will never be your friends, and if you aren't a part of the 3 comma club, you are nothing more than a necessary nuisance that will allow them to be the Decorated Decorum Government Administrator.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

Considering that this "if" statement is totally going to the "else" clause (Northam, Jones, img-timeline, etc), I'd say it's significantly more important for people to realize and recognize that democrats aren't your friends.

They were never your friends, they will never be your friends, and if you aren't a part of the 3 comma club, you are nothing more than a necessary nuisance that will allow them to be the Decorated Decorum Government Administrator.

This is true however even they have to realize they have really stretched how far they can pull the "vote for us we aren't evil!" card then do nothing meaningful (or that can't be undone easily by the next guy) they aren't going to be a party anymore. If they get in after Trump and try to be the Decorum party again they will lose more seats than they did during Obama's term and they better hope the GOP lets them in to the one party state that will be left over.

I'm hoping poo poo Democrats start getting primaried out enough that the ones left will be at least a little scared for their jobs (which is the thing they seem to care most about) which is why certain people start really crying about "divisiveness" when you mention primaries.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

U.T. Raptor posted:

Republican voters chose tribal identity over the welfare of the country (and themselves, for that matter), and they vote like clockwork. Meanwhile, Democratic voters (the ones that aren't victims of voter suppression, mind you) have to be coddled and cajoled like skittish horses to show up and vote at all.

Poor Freckles, thought of a centrist and died.

I’m still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the incredible power of tribal identity. I mean I see it, I know it, but to internally process it? Cripes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seriously, Dems need to actually stand for something that will directly benefit people if they want to win.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/943476196096004096

I really have no loving words.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I can’t even ironically follow Dinesh. His Twitter is loving infuriating.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
WHY DO NATIVE AMERICANS NO LOVE US WHEN WE KEEP USING THEIR CULTURE AS AN INSULT?!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Radish posted:

The pundits that have been trying to sell "both sides are responsible" and that Republican politicians are acting in good faith despite the results of years of their policies always being bad are having a rough time trying to figure out how to spin this one. You even see a few true "bipartisanship is the goal of politics" believers publicly saying that they have no idea where this came from and are genuinely flummoxed by what is clearly publicly looting the country for personal gain. Our political media is so made up of people that have bought into their own fiction about how politics operate they have been caught flat footed by the Republicans just saying gently caress it throw off the mask and do what all the "crazy" people have been saying they were doing for years.

That's true, part of the problem is the pundits are having mental breaks just like the voting populace. It's been their gig for years to play ball and cozy up to politicians, so the idea that one party is a bad faith actor is like finding out one of your parents is a cheating alcoholic abuser. You've loved and admired them both all of your life, it can't be that one of them is wrong. Why is Dad doing this? Is it because I let him down? Dad's a good guy. I need to see things from Dad's side. But then one day you find out that Dad stole all of the family's savings and it finally hits you. Dad loving sucks. Sometimes people loving suck. Holy poo poo, Mom was right.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Their base seem quite capable of believing black is white and up is down, so Republican politicians should be justifiably sanguine about the possibility of being punished for this. It’s carefully crafted not to hit salaried people in red states hard. In fact, since it is designed to automatically raise taxes in about 10 years, so if the flip/flop every 8 years pattern holds, Democrats should be in power, allowing them to campaign on “Evil Democrats raised your taxes!”

Very well done Paul, Mitch, you satanic fucks.

My anecdotal brainwashing barometer is my clearly slowly losing his mind coworker who is a Brietbart/Drudge reading conservitive christian. I heard him greet two people with "Happy Tax Cut Day" yesterday so yeah.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

well at least he used the proper ethnic slur

none of that weak pocahontas bullshit

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

codenameFANGIO posted:

I can’t even ironically follow Dinesh. His Twitter is loving infuriating.

You can't follow Dinesh, Dinesh can't legally vote. Funny old world of ours.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Crabtree posted:

WHY DO NATIVE AMERICANS NO LOVE US WHEN WE KEEP USING THEIR CULTURE AS AN INSULT?!

Fox Guest: Native American Genocide Didn't Happen

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Try not to imagine the insulting fake accent he'd say that with if you don't want to be incapacitated with even more seething distaste than usual for convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Avirosb posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much the official position of the United States Government.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I just got a phone alert on my newsapp. It was something from Fox business that suggested we should all ditch our 401(k) plans and put the money elsewhere because the sweeping tax reform will clearly offer better growth elsewhere.

I can only assume they mean put it all in the stock market, and they really want us to go all in on it. Are they really that delusional and think that this will truly give us unprecedented growth forever? Or are they simply just trying to milk people for every last dollar?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Avirosb posted:

Unironic position held by at least Steven Crowder.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Corponation posted:

I just got a phone alert on my newsapp. It was something from Fox business that suggested we should all ditch our 401(k) plans and put the money elsewhere because the sweeping tax reform will clearly offer better growth elsewhere.

I can only assume they mean put it all in the stock market, and they really want us to go all in on it. Are they really that delusional and think that this will truly give us unprecedented growth forever? Or are they simply just trying to milk people for every last dollar?

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our financial lord and savior the bitcoin?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Corponation posted:

I think it's suggesting moving from pre-tax savings systems like traditional 401Ks and going to post-tax savigs like Roth 401Ks.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Corponation posted:

The latter.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

HootTheOwl posted:

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our financial lord and savior the bitcoin?

There is no god but Bitcoin and Satoshi is his prophet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Phone posted:

take it to USPOL or the thunderdome

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Please, Dinesh, tell me again how Democrats are the real racists.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Monitoring the RWM stuff on this tax bill has been insufferable and I can only stand like 5 minutes at a time. Weird thing is, my office is oddly silent and even the poo poo I tend to overhear as a matter of course from co-workers is non existent. I seem to even be the only person bringing it up, which is odd for a Big GOP Victory. Honestly, I'm a tad on the fence about the corporate rate but also admit I don't know much about it. I could see it being a good thing in certain respects, but that's all contingent on corporations doing the right thing so yeah.

Hand to God though, I am legit 100% surprised that this "tax cut" wasn't delivered to us peons with a personal, incredibly cheesy Tump Check. Like GWB did only this time with a glossy mailer, a coupon for a MAGA hat and a cheesy gold embossed foil stamp something or other and discount offer for lovely steaks.

I suppose that could still happen but it doesn't seem like this is set up to deliver that way. My calculation came out to roughly 5 or 6 hundred bucks I'll save over a year and I'm almost disappointed in Donald for not personalizing that in some way and delivering it with his unique sense of class.

Initially, my online calculator was something like $2,800 and I said "OK, that could actually be noticeable" but, SURPRISE, they hid the tabs and buttons for property tax payers (as well as student loan borrowers and a lot of other things) on whatever site it was so the devil is most certainly in the details.

It's all gonna get swallowed up in Health care premiums anyways.

Looking forward to asking my boss for my Trump Raise in a year. See how that goes.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 21, 2017

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Matt Walsh weighing in with random nonsense

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/943581863435751424

And a splendid Hannity self-own

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/943881108810293249

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Go gently caress yourself Walsh,
Signed a person who had Black Labradors and currently a mixed Baset Hound for a pet.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This seems as good of a thread as any to discuss TPUSA.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...mpaign-activity

quote:

Perhaps most troubling for an organization that holds up conservatives as the real victims of discrimination in America, Turning Point USA is also alleged to have fostered an atmosphere that is hostile to minorities.

I'm sure this is just the ludicrous lefty baby snowflakes making mountains out of racially neutral molehills again...

quote:

Crystal Clanton, who served until last summer as the group’s national field director, sent a text message to another Turning Point employee saying, “i hate black people. Like gently caress them all . . . I hate blacks. End of story.”
:chloe:
I'm sure noone ever liked her anyway and she didn't have that important of a role..

quote:

In a 2016 book that Kirk co-authored with Brent Hamachek, “Time for a Turning Point: Setting a Course Toward Free Markets and Limited Government for Future Generations,” he described Clanton as “the best hire we ever could have made.” He called her “integral to the success of Turning Point while effectively serving as its chief operating officer.” He added, “Turning Point needs more Crystals; so does America.”

Ugh. That's too bad. But it's not like her personal beliefs would have made it into the workplace

quote:

Gabrielle Fequiere, a former Turning Point employee, told me that she was the only African-American hired as a field director when she worked with the group, three years ago. “In looking back, I think it was racist,” she said. “At the time, I was blaming myself, and I thought I did something wrong.” Fequiere, who now works as a model, recalled that the young black recruits that she brought into the organization suddenly found themselves disinvited from the group’s annual student summit
[...]
Fequiere said that Clanton fired her on Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, on the grounds that she was not performing her job well. “I was the only black American employee they had, and they fired me on M.L.K. Day—it was so rude!”

This really is just gold throughout. Go read it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Go gently caress yourself Walsh,
Signed a person who had Black Labradors and currently a mixed Baset Hound for a pet.

Is this related to how Trump doesn't seem to know what a dog actually is? Or has Walsh always just not liked pets?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I know Walsh is just trolling because that's all he can do but any random dog has done more for society than his worthless blog writing rear end ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Keeshhound posted:

Is this related to how Trump doesn't seem to know what a dog actually is? Or has Walsh always just not liked pets?

Take it away google search for "Matt Walsh animals":

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/859816086593835008

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/737618821851324416