Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

I really would like to know what Ren wants to use the First Order to, like, do.

Controlling the Galaxy doesn't seem to be it, he wanted the Lightsaber/Luke and get revenge, but now that that poo poo's over with he's just the leader of the Not-Empire and I guess he's going to want to destroy the Not-Rebellion and rule the Galaxy because there's nothing left to do with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just killed another person who kept holding him back. He didn't really plan anything about controlling the first order.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Right, so what's his motivation now? The same poo poo we've seen before?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kylo killed Snoke without even an ounce of forethought about how the First Order is going to make payroll afterwards.

You just killed the money man, Kylo, you doofus. Now Stormtroopers and Officers alike are going to turn against you when their checks start bouncing.

You are now late stage ECW Paul Heyman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't think the money-man stuff actually made it into the films.

Plus controlling a large chunk of the galaxy seems like it'd be good for a few credits.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know if Dunkirk is really the kind of movie a kid would enjoy.

But it's 2017, anything is possible I guess.

I don’t know if a boring one with boring characters that all die at the end is the kind of movie a kid would enjoy either.

R. Guyovich posted:

Anyone else notice Dunkirk was the movie Rogue One should have been?

I did notice that now that I think of it. Good point.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't think Kylo Ren wants to rule the galaxy, I think he just wants to lash out and follow his anger. That actually makes for an interesting dynamic going forward, because he has access to this major war machine, but without the patience and planning of Snoke or Palpatine. Now with Luke gone, he has no singular person to channel his anger against. It feels like this could lead to the First Order becoming a more extremist, reactionary force than the Empire was, with little interest in actual post-conflict nation building.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I don’t know if a boring one with boring characters that all die at the end is the kind of movie a kid would enjoy either.

You let me know if you ever see any kids cosplaying as characters from Dunkirk, aight?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mahoning posted:

I just watched Dunkirk and boy, that’s the movie Rogue One should have been. Absolutely no backstory or contrived ties between the characters and the Death Star plans. Just have them steal the plans and get the hell off the beach planet beach planet.

If you weren’t planning on writing three dimensional characters anyways, then just do what Dunkirk did and have the (very basic) characters revolve around the plot instead of the other way around. (Oh wait that’s not how you sell toys)

I know this is a year late and not really a Rogue One thread but after watching Dunkirk it just really clicked for me that it’s the kind of movie Rogue One should have been. Especially if these Star Wars Story side movies are going to be the more experimental/outside-the-box films (they won’t be).

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, Jyn's backstory is fairly flat and largely inconsequential outside it's direct plot implications. But Cassian is a classic Star Wars character. Since when it being a fairly straightforward archetype (the once-idealistic spy, jaded by experience but looking for redemption) played strait a vice in Star Wars of all franchises?

Sacrificing the "contrivance," of the character's getting together through the course of the mission also sacrifices one of my favorite parts of the movie, the mysticism and Force-As-Religion-For-Non-Jedi subtext introduced by Baze and Chirrut. The fact that all of these unlikely pieces are coming together (Bohdi's defection, Jyn's connections to the key players, Cassian's crisis of conscience, etc) while we have a mysterious character who we are intentionally positioned to be unsure about being a Force User or not constantly talks about the movements of the force and destiny and poo poo is not by accident. It explores faith in the setting and its effect on people's ability to maintain hope and change themselves in a way that's really unique in the franchise, and I'd have hated to lose that.

Also if the whole movie were nothing but escaping Beach Planet after heisting the plans, where would we have fit in the Imperial Politics subplot? No Krennic, no deal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kylo Ren is the new Robert Baratheon.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Steve Yun posted:

Kylo Ren is the new Robert Baratheon.

"All I know is killing Luke was the one thing I ever wanted. He took that away from me... and Twenty Oversectors couldn't fill the hole it left behind..."

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 21, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

wizard on a water slide posted:

Whether Luke "dies" is a matter of like, philosophical debate, but he isn't "killed".

He comes up with a plan (instead of charging in with his "laser sword") that saves everybody involved's life, not just the Resistance's but his own and Kylo's, by outwitting Kylo (see: the lines in the movie about how wisdom, not power, is what separates a master from an apprentice) and then achieves enlightenment and becomes one with the Force.

I have absolutely no clue where people keep getting this poo poo about the tragic death of Luke Skywalker from. He punks Kylo and then peaces out to join Yoda - who is alive enough that he's still hanging out and dispensing advice to Luke fifty years later - in the lifestream.

I mean Yoda appeared and a tangible being and summoned lightning.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

You let me know if you ever see any kids cosplaying as characters from Dunkirk, aight?

Though I’m sure you’re glad I made you dip into your picture collection of children dressed up as your favorite characters, the fact is that If the movie didn’t have Star Wars at the end of its title, not a single kid would have even noticed it. Kids would cosplay as a satanic baby rapist if it was a Star Wars satanic baby rapist.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mahoning posted:

Though I’m sure you’re glad I made you dip into your picture collection of children dressed up as your favorite characters, the fact is that If the movie didn’t have Star Wars at the end of its title, not a single kid would have even noticed it. Kids would cosplay as a satanic baby rapist if it was a Star Wars satanic baby rapist.

You act like kids have never been attracted to any SciFi/Fantasy franchise outside of Star Wars, or that side stories in various franchises have never tanked and not been adopted by the fanbase. I think assuming some variant of Rogue One could have never attracted a youth audience without the Star Wars brand and that the Star Wars brand is the only reason kids liked it or it's characters are both HUGE assumptions.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

You act like kids have never been attracted to any SciFi/Fantasy franchise outside of Star Wars, or that side stories in various franchises have never tanked and not been adopted by the fanbase. I think assuming some variant of Rogue One could have never attracted a youth audience without the Star Wars brand and that the Star Wars brand is the only reason kids liked it or it's characters are both HUGE assumptions.

I actually don’t give a gently caress what kids do. I was just off handedly pointing out how Dunkirk and (the third act, aka the only good part of) Rogue One were similar on a basic level and I wish Rogue One was much more like Dunkirk in its tone. Then someone decided that “lol Dunkirk ain’t a kids movie” was an interesting response. But ok.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

Genocide anyone who is Force sensitive.

Rey will lead those who seek shelter from his pogrom into a new order of Jedi who seek not light or dark side divsions but a balance in the Force itself.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I actually don’t give a gently caress what kids do. I was just off handedly pointing out how Dunkirk and (the third act, aka the only good part of) Rogue One were similar on a basic level and I wish Rogue One was much more like Dunkirk in its tone. Then someone decided that “lol Dunkirk ain’t a kids movie” was an interesting response. But ok.

Chill the gently caress out, neckbeard. Pointing out that Rogue One is a tad more family friendly than goddamn Dunkirk shouldn't fill you with such impotant rage but thank you for your hotest of hot takes on a year old movie.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Unoriginal Name posted:

Rey will lead those who seek shelter from his pogrom into a new order of Jedi who seek not light or dark side divsions but a balance in the Force itself.

gently caress anyone who actually wants a Grey Jedi plotline. Thankfully it will never happen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sanguinia posted:

gently caress anyone who actually wants a Grey Jedi plotline. Thankfully it will never happen.

I don't know what that is (and I played, like, all the Star Wars games) but the moment Ren & Rey team up and the implication that they can create something new is by far the best part of the movie (and the only interesting action scene, probably not coincidentally). Which made it all the more disappointing when it immediately reverts to him being an evil empire guy and her a plucky rebel good guy, but for a second I was blown away at the idea that they might actually do something different.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Have you ever read the book "the time machine"? Actually read it? In adaptations they generally just tell the part with the time machine and the morlocks and the eloi, in the books a full half of the book is everyone going to a college class to get a detailed explanation of the idea of what a time machine is. Likewise mario 64 has the camera introduced as a in world character that talks to you and explains what a camera is in a 3D game.

Later works about time machines or games with cameras didn't do that. After the work was done everyone got it and they didn't have to explain that stuff again.

The first movies about siths and empires and stuff they spend a lot of time to set up. After that? you get it. You don't actually have any important questions about snoke that you actually can't answer. They don't actually have to explain it to you again, you saw the movies and know "he's another one of those", just like every time a storm trooper is on screen you don't need them to break the action to explain this new storm trooper. Snoke is generic sith bad dude #2431 between maul and grievous, you get who he is.

But again, literally, if you are interested in his story do not actually worry, they will make a tie in comic or future movie or videogame or animation going into absolute detail. Like you can read 6 separate books about the history and fate of each of darth vader's gloves. But none of it is going to be anything you needed to know to understand this movie.

Well, it is if you expect a credible story. That's the point. The FO, it's characters, and the general situation in the Galaxy are so simple and lacking in depth that they stand as an obvious attempt at "Just swallow it and don't ask any questions". It seems like they almost wanted to say it explicitly. But it doesn't work, because you have previous knowledge of the situation before, without any logical explanation about how it's suddenly bad or who is all these people we didn't know anything about before.

Imagine watching the A-team, but suddenly, from one episode to the next, there are 3 new members in the gang you know nothing about, they're not wanted by the government anymore, and they have a fancy state of the art submarine. They did this but with Star Wars.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

I get a very strong feeling he's in a "destroy everything" mode. He's going kinda crazy and lashing out and it's hard to say, but I find that kind of interesting really. He may just try to wipe out the rest of the Resistance but he may also just carve a wild path of destruction across the galaxy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ren not even knowing what he really wants to do could be an interesting angle. But like most things, it's not in the ideas, it's in the execution.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Ren not even knowing what he really wants to do could be an interesting angle. But like most things, it's not in the ideas, it's in the execution.

Is the execution not good?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

When asked why he did what he did with Snoke, Rian Johnson said something along the lines of "Because I asked myself, what makes a more interesting Episode 9: starting with Kylo Ren subordinate, or starting with Kylo Ren ascendant?"

Put that way, it's an easy call. Adam Driver's been killing it in every scene for two movies. Let him loose.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe in the next movie he can make other characters besides Kylo Ren interesting too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've heard somewhere that Finn is being regarded in this film as the new Jar Jar.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I've heard somewhere that Finn is being regarded in this film as the new Jar Jar.

oh man you heard something

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Is anybody going to gently caress ever in the new Disney Star Wars? The biggest casualty of the EU getting erased is everybody’s p and vs. They erased Luke’s wife and turned him into a sad 60 year old virgin who dies. Chewie’s harem is gone. Han and Leia hosed once I guess then never again. Finn is doomed to a lifetime of warmly polite hugs

Bring back bug orgies

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know what that is (and I played, like, all the Star Wars games) but the moment Ren & Rey team up and the implication that they can create something new is by far the best part of the movie (and the only interesting action scene, probably not coincidentally). Which made it all the more disappointing when it immediately reverts to him being an evil empire guy and her a plucky rebel good guy, but for a second I was blown away at the idea that they might actually do something different.

TLJ is basically KOTOR 2 the movie if KOTOR 2 was written by a huge pussy

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Snoke probably hosed kylo

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kylo and Rey should gently caress to release sexual tension after the slaughtering of the red guards.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
mm thats p loving hot. she's probably a lesbian though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it'd be cool if in the next one kylo graphically masturbates

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

more cool ideas for the next one
• the force never existed in the first place
• most of the main characters die in the first 30 minutes
• george lucas shows up as himself
• no spaceships or anything that could be sold as a toy
• just lots of kylo crying and screaming and being sad

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mameluke posted:

He's a looming, unknowable evil capable of tearing families apart and marshaling hordes of faceless others to no apparent end. But he's also weak, decadent, and easily supplanted. Having this caricature as the avatar of the Dark Side, is unsatisfying in a film that promotes the old fanon idea of "balance" in the force being between the light and the dark. What's the point of balance if half of it is EEEEVILL?

Snoke thinks he is the avatar of the Dark Side. When he is giving his speech, he acts somewhat surprised that the one that the light inspired to fight him wasn't Luke, it was Rey. He was imagining a celestial war, himself leading the dark side, and Luke leading the light side, and he realizes that he was wrong.

The problem he faces is that he's wrong twice. He thinks that he is the avatar of the dark side, but he isn't. It's Kylo Ren. If he really was embodying the dark side, he'd expect treachery, because that is what the Sith do. He doesn't see Kylo Ren taking the dark side option of seizing power for himself coming at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AndyElusive posted:

Chill the gently caress out, neckbeard. Pointing out that Rogue One is a tad more family friendly than goddamn Dunkirk shouldn't fill you with such impotant rage but thank you for your hotest of hot takes on a year old movie.

:lol:

Get a load of this person. You’re so cool. You’re so cool you missed the point.

Do you read or just jump up and down like a baby?

They said Rogue One would have been more interesting if it followed how Dunkirk was setup. Just throw you in and watch how they escape this hell situation.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The kid in me kinda hopes Rey builds a double laser sword in IX. She's somewhat set up to do so too, what with her scavenging stick.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Obama 2012 posted:

I hated this movie. I wish I could have seen the film that those who loved it saw, but what I got was a garbled mess of rushed, overcomplicated plot lines with neither the time nor inclination to earn any emotional investment in the characters or their conflicts before breathlessly whisking us away to another boring CGI space battle.

The entire second act was one ship chasing another ship just out its range FOR 18 HOURS! Why don’t the Resistance ships just split up? Hell, why doesn’t the First Order call in more ships to come at them from the other way?

There aren’t enough cartoon horses in the galaxy to make me care about the boring-rear end casino interlude.

Luke drinks hot alien tittie milk. WTC!?

In summary: 3 1/2 stars.

WELL HOW'BOUT YOU SUSPEND THEIR BADGE

just kidding you're an idiot

I loving love this movie more and more every day. Because as every hour passes, the most pathetic fan finally loses his or her poo poo and crops up amongst all of us. And every time we can point and laugh. It's literally the complete opposite of the Nazism movement.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Rian Johnson is the bull to your lovely tiny little cuck Lucas balls...

take it, young padawans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zas posted:

more cool ideas for the next one
• the force never existed in the first place
• most of the main characters die in the first 30 minutes
• george lucas shows up as himself
• no spaceships or anything that could be sold as a toy
• just lots of kylo crying and screaming and being sad

mm, so subversive

• Locked thread