Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It doesnt matter the source for the word, what matters is it completes the italian flat tire joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1) I knew there was this actor that I saw in Freaks and Geeks. She showed up a few times in other places. Very memorable face.

2) I knew the name "Busy Phillips" and that it was some person in entertainment.

It wasn't until I heard a comedy podcast with her on it that I connected the two.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Busy Phillips sounds way more like the name of an old black jazzman than a blonde actress

Cougar Town is a good show. Kinda.

She has the most hippy name imaginable though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

syscall girl posted:

Solei Moonfrye would disagree.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

om nom nom posted:

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

Disbelieve every etymology alledging an acronym existing before WWII for easy being right on the Internet points

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

What, Elizabeth Phillips?

Wait, you lot didn't think her real first name was Busy, did you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

Cougar Town is a great show until the network change.

Fixed that for you

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

What, Elizabeth Phillips?

Wait, you lot didn't think her real first name was Busy, did you?

People are allowed to choose their own names. For a SAG card or just because.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just figured out:
Elizabeth - Lizzy - Busy.

Clever girl.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I told someone they got “punky brewstered” when their mom left them at the bar the other day. They didn’t get it and I didn’t explain.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Philippines are not west of Thailand, around where the Andaman Islands actually are. I'm usually not an idiot in regard to geography and have no idea why I thought this.

fuckin breeders man
Mar 21, 2007
I always thought Dire Straits were American, but nah, they are British.

Technically, I found out weeks ago, but I don't know where else to post this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB9OrGZ7-c

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

syscall girl posted:

People are allowed to choose their own names. For a SAG card or just because.

That's rarely true, mostly just in the US.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fuckin breeders man posted:

I always thought Dire Straits were American, but nah, they are British.

Technically, I found out weeks ago, but I don't know where else to post this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB9OrGZ7-c

They’re also much more popular in the UK than over here

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

The Philippines are not west of Thailand,

Well, eventually they are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inzombiac posted:

As would Moon Unit Zappa

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

om nom nom posted:

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

Did you know gently caress stands for fornication under consent of the king?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

As would Moon Unit Zappa

Dweezil is my personal favorite.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Did you know gently caress stands for fornication under consent of the king?

You know drat well this is not correct.

It's Germanic. Stands for Familienschmuck Überprüfbarkeit Chemieunterricht Kinderpopo

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

It's Germanic. Stands for Familienschmuck berprfbarkeit Chemieunterricht Kinderpopo

That translates to "To Insure Prompt Service".

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Thread title strikes again.

Thats what I get for not actually clicking the Wikipedia link. I googled it to check and it showed up in the text under the link, so I figured hey, good enough for me. But lo and behold, it is under the "false etymology" section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aphrodite posted:

That's rarely true, mostly just in the US.

In Sweden you can change your name even if you're like a resident alien with a foreign passport

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

om nom nom posted:

Thats what I get for not actually clicking the Wikipedia link. I googled it to check and it showed up in the text under the link, so I figured hey, good enough for me. But lo and behold, it is under the "false etymology" section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop

I didn't realize it was a slur against italians. why it was being used on Desi Arnez in the book I was reading?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

rodbeard posted:

I didn't realize it was a slur against italians. why it was being used on Desi Arnez in the book I was reading?

Bigots may not be the smartest folks in the world

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

rodbeard posted:

^^^^That and I guess the bigots in reality meant that certain style of slick hair and suit, instead of actually caring if the person was of Italian descent or not. At least that's how I understand it in the era-specific books and movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bigots may not be the smartest folks in the world

Light skinned black dudes regularly get called spics and ragheads, America's concept of race is deeply idiotic

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not just America in Britain there is a saying that goes "Wogs start at Calais" which basically means that everyone who isn't British isn't white. Wog being a slur for dark skinned people that is just slightly below the N-word in level of offensiveness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Light skinned black dudes regularly get called spics and ragheads, America's concept of race is deeply idiotic

The best is when (and it's not okay to assault Muslims, obv) a Sikh is mistaken for a Muslim.

And then bad things happen to stupid skinheads.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

rodbeard posted:

No they specifically weren't allowed to kiss because Desi wasn't considered white. The show's producer said to Lucy: "Nobody will believe you are married to this whop."

I Love Lucy is on CBS right now and Lucy and Desi just kissed on the lips; you're full of poo poo.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not just America in Britain there is a saying that goes "Wogs start at Calais" which basically means that everyone who isn't British isn't white

Nobody under 90 years old says this though so "was a saying" is possibly more accurate

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

I Love Lucy is on CBS right now and Lucy and Desi just kissed on the lips; you're full of poo poo.

Yeah I saw them kiss in the commercial for the special. I guess the biography for the show was full of poo poo. I looked it up and the episode where they kiss was not rebroadcasted after the initial airing until 1989. Maybe people just forgot.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

rodbeard posted:

Yeah I saw them kiss in the commercial for the special. I guess the biography for the show was full of poo poo. I looked it up and the episode where they kiss was not rebroadcasted after the initial airing until 1989. Maybe people just forgot.

maybe they were told that early on; that episode last night was a later one. Sorry for wording my objection so harshly

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Have some of the old etymology: bodega and apothecary come from the same root.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Does boutique come from the same root as well?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Does boutique come from the same root as well?

Apparently so. But bodega - boutique is pretty obvious anyway.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

InediblePenguin posted:

maybe they were told that early on; that episode last night was a later one. Sorry for wording my objection so harshly

You'll find that the broadcasting standards changed over time. Season 5 has full frontal nudity and non simulated penetration.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

In firefox you can hit 'control m' and it will mute the tab so you dont have to right click and hope it mutes before the horrid instogroam background music starts playing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"Fantasy" by Mariah Carey
https://youtu.be/qq09UkPRdFY

Samples a lot from "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club
https://youtu.be/ECiMhe4E0pI

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Something I only found out a few years ago is that MIA's Paper Planes samples Straight To Hell by The Clash. In my defense, it's not one of their best songs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Tango in the 2005 musical Reefer Madness is actually a remixed version of Murdered from the end of the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMHHjkKELU - Tango
http://eachvideo.com/watch?v=L2J7SKcsWnw - Murder

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's Thelonious Monk, NOT Felonious Monk.