Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Narrow rear end Salomons, never again.

Salomons are heavenly if you've got high-ish arches for the exact same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have wide rear end feet and high arches. That said, I had a pair of Salomon boots that lasted for ten years.

My favorite boots are the Danners my friend gave me. Had them for five years and they’re still largely waterproof and in great condition. They get worn pretty frequently, too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BigDave posted:

Planning a Iraq War reenactment?

Eh, leaning more Afghanistan, but I don't know of you can reenact something that is still going on. Anyway, it's mostly that I enjoy pointless anachronism.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

Salomons are heavenly if you've got high-ish arches for the exact same reason.

Yeah, if you have high arches or narrow feet, I imagine they're great. I'm a touch wider than standard D width. The upper is gonna well outlast the soles. If they were a little wider and the treadlife was more along the lines of Merrells, I'd be a lifelong customer.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm an irish-american flatfoot so sneakers and boots are hard to find.

Oddly I had no problems with 25+ mile ruck marches so not sure why flat feet used to DQ people from the military.

Ive been called a jack booted thing, kinda hoping for someone to call me a dumr Irish flatfoot

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2017

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My feet are pretty well hosed. I'm like a 6.5 in length and super wide at my toes and forefoot. I got issued 6.5W boots that wrecked my feet, my SDS gave me a pair of 8R that he was issued, and I wore those until there was time to get mine switched out. Ended up in a 7.5W that was better but still too narrow; issued Bellevilles simply don't fit me. Ended up pulping my pinky toes to the point I needed antibiotics and all the blood blisters cut off at the troop clinic. Then my antibiotics were confiscated and locked up in the CQ office and the key was lost; I never took a single one. Thanks army.

Nowadays on the occasional weekend I wear a Tactical Research transition boot that's super light in an 8W. They fit kinda like tennis shoes, the extra size gives me enough width and the length isn't really a problem because of how snug they are with a good insole added to them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You got tiny feet.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

LingcodKilla posted:

You got tiny feet.

They're proportional, I'm only 5'6".

One of my best friends is a 5'4" asian dude that wears a size 3, his boots looked like they were for a doll or something.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

buy god drat good insoles

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

buy god drat good insoles

Do you have any to recommend? I've been going with the Dr. Scholls for a while and they seem to be purely ok, but could be better.

Also another endorsement for Merrells, big thanks to The Rat for putting me on to them :toot:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Superfeet > *

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you have a Good Feet Store (chain name) nearby, go there. Lots of people swear by them.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Taking my carry gun to Chicago :jihad:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jesus they're $1 less than my shoes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woof Blitzer posted:

Taking my carry gun to Chicago :jihad:

Let us know if Chicago PD takes you to one of their black sites. :tinfoil:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Jesus they're $1 less than my shoes.

My feet didn't feel like they were going to explode after a 12-15mi ruck, soooo...

Shoes and insoles are one of those things where you really get what you pay for.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've worn them in every pair of shoes I own for probably about the last decade. I wear nothing else, including the shittier custom molded orthotics the VA gave me.

Back to gunchat:

What's so lovely about an M4 vs. whatever super fancy free float modern AR rifle? I basically built a BCM M4A1 (14.5" barrel with permanent A2X) clone, albeit with a Geissele G2S trigger and an Aimpoint H-1 instead of a CompM4. It's pretty lightweight, accurate, and I've never had a single malfunction.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Basically if you brace the handguard on something, it can throw off your barrel harmonics and thus your POI. Likewise if you have a bipod mounted on it (like my retarded M4 clone will have, cause that's what I had in Iraq, cause I was retarded and wanted to keep using that bipod I bought. I was 21, ok.)

With a free float tube, the barrel flexes the same way every time regardless of pressure on the handguard, and so POI won't get thrown off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I get that, but how much does it actually matter when I'm usually shooting stuff at 100-200m?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That and there's really no reason to not use a longer gas system if you can.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DoktorLoken posted:

I get that, but how much does it actually matter when I'm usually shooting stuff at 100-200m?

It depends on how much pressure you're putting on the handguards and where on the handguards you're putting that pressure. At my former reserve unit, we did a test with the M16A4, pushing the handguard hard onto a sandbag and shooting at 25m targets. It was enough to shift the POI by 4-6" at that distance.

Granted that was with exaggerated pressure, but still.

Really the only way to know is to test it out yourself with what you think would be reasonable pressure. I've been using free float on my personal ARs for quite a while now, so I couldn't say offhand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo, that's a much more significant difference than I expected.

Might have to look into this further.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That was pushing down pretty hard though mind you, with the sandbag near the end of the handguard. I think under normal circumstances it'd be a lot less than that, but still some difference.

Still, it's an easy test to do yourself. I'd be curious to see what results other people get.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just got sized for orthotics at Madigan for free. Goddamn new boots are trying to kill me.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Naked Bear posted:

That and there's really no reason to not use a longer gas system if you can.

Yeah one of the other big benefits is using a longer gas system, which will make the rifle smoother shooting, and will beat up the innards less (though this difference is pretty minor).

Another thing that sucks about the M4 is the barrel profile. You can get a plethora of better profiles that work for all sorts of different applications. Lightweight, precision, general shooting, whatever your priority is the government profile is a bad compromise.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.armsunlimited.com/TASER-X26-Blade-Tech-Holster-USED-p/x26.htm

:science:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

So apparently my friend got real good at making guns.

https://www.darkalliancefirearms.com/services/custom-firearms

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:barf:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. That's something alright.

Not something I'd spend money on. The zombie trend poo poo can die a decade ago. Any day now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please tell your friend to stop being good at ruining guns

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how many skull tats does your friend have

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

how many tribal skull tats does your friend have

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What about the 5.11 pants and moto shirts?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

how many skull tats does your friend have

One million

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm about to adopt my 3 nephews and have been stocking up on 22LR and 22 guns to teach them how to shoot. Just placed an order for a Henry Evil Roy. Please validate this purchase and tell me a lever action isn't dumb to teach boys under the age of 10.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Kaliber posted:

I'm about to adopt my 3 nephews and have been stocking up on 22LR and 22 guns to teach them how to shoot. Just placed an order for a Henry Evil Roy. Please validate this purchase and tell me a lever action isn't dumb to teach boys under the age of 10.

The Evil Roy is full-stocked so it won't be ideal for kids. I have their youth model because I like tiny handy guns and it's pretty good. Personally I prefer something with a manual safety I can easily flip on and off when teaching someone new. Gives more control so we can stop, put it on safe, discuss something, then flip it back off and repeat. The hammer will give you that but you'll have to be more careful. Always start on a bench rested and it'll be easy to teach em.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Kaliber posted:

If it's anything like my Evil Roy SAA it'll be really god drat slick and fast and big fun. Also lever actions own, be them rimfire

Or center fire

:ocelot::buddy:

rifles posted:

The Evil Roy is full-stocked so it won't be ideal for kids.

This is something to consider though. You might be able to swap the stock from a youth model on to the full size if need be.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

This is motherfuckin' fancy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

What about the 5.11 pants and moto shirts?

Don't doxx my work clothes, man.

poo poo's nice when it's at cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

rifles posted:

The Evil Roy is full-stocked so it won't be ideal for kids. I have their youth model because I like tiny handy guns and it's pretty good. Personally I prefer something with a manual safety I can easily flip on and off when teaching someone new. Gives more control so we can stop, put it on safe, discuss something, then flip it back off and repeat. The hammer will give you that but you'll have to be more careful. Always start on a bench rested and it'll be easy to teach em.

Gotcha, so what you're saying is buy an used 10/22 or some kind of youth stocked rifle with safety in addition to the Evil Roy.