Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The press release they put out talks about accessories, not consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If they can pull off good Dreamcast and Saturn performance that would be huge, but let’s all just assume they will be utter trash until the hands on reviews roll in because holy disappointment, these are so easy to get hyped for.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Betting on the Saturn one having the relatively new Mednafen emulator, and the Dreamcast one having Reicast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The press release they put out talks about accessories, not consoles.

Boy would that be disappointing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was going to post the same article but I think people are misinterpreting wireless controllers as consoles.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Harlock posted:

I was going to post the same article but I think people are misinterpreting wireless controllers as consoles.

Yeah, the actual press release just says accessories, nothing about consoles. That article really didn't read that right at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, that looks right. Interesting to be rebooting Saturn controllers given how that console has a fairly limited presence in the West, but still worth investigating.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They mention about how they'll have USB and bluetooth support so I'm going to guess they'll be banking on people wanting the Saturn controllers for Windows use over the original consoles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

They mention about how they'll have USB and bluetooth support so I'm going to guess they'll be banking on people wanting the Saturn controllers for Windows use over the original consoles.

I could see that making sense, if you want a Sega layout controller for PC emulation use it's a pain to source decent quality versions.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

d0s posted:

good luck, ps2 controllers were widely and aggressively bootlegged and some are very hard to tell from pictures. What I would do is order one from a Japanese seller on ebay (Japan is very strict about bootlegging Japanese products):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332485671062

Thanks for this, I didn't know that. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. I'm blown away at how many bootleg Dualshocks are out there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they're even going to be authentic replica controllers, they'll probably be vaguely Saturn/Megadrive/Dreamcast-shaped and that's as far as it goes, or they'll put ugly Altered Beast renders on them or something, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The good news is that if you just want a Genesis USB pad Hyperkin already makes them and they're pretty alright.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

The Kins posted:

ScummVM 2.0 is out. It adds support for the following:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

:eyepop:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

ScummVM 2.0 is out. It adds support for the following:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

I hope the framerate on this is OK, I never could get it working right even though the sound didn't skip.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

univbee posted:

I could see that making sense, if you want a Sega layout controller for PC emulation use it's a pain to source decent quality versions.

I think this one is pretty good, I don't think there's much of a difference between the Saturn layout:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think this one is pretty good, I don't think there's much of a difference between the Saturn layout:

Well, the buttons don't say XYZ/ABC :v:

I jest but also this would big-time throw some people contending with in-game prompts asking for a non-existent button, if they weren't familiar with the source system.

Also this is a super-minor quibble but the XYZ "top row" buttons on the original Sega controllers are explicitly smaller since they're meant to be a secondary set of buttons. But otherwise yeah that controller is probably the most solid controller that's properly close to the Saturn/Genesis 6-button layout.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, personally my quibble would be that I don't use the A button as my most-used button on the Saturn controller (I tend to go for C), whereas X is my most-used button on a PlayStation controller more often than not, so there's a mismatch in the button layout there. Unfortunately it's one I have no good solution for, given that C and B for confirm and cancel (respectively) are reversed on the X-axis from X and Circle doing the same tasks (again, respectively) on a modern PlayStation console, but you also can't really flip around the traditional PlayStation layout without wreaking hell on muscle memory.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

I jest but also this would big-time throw some people contending with in-game prompts asking for a non-existent button, if they weren't familiar with the source system.

you mean FAKE GAMERS?

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I was seriously considering importing the brand new Genesis controllers made by Tec Toy in Brazil, since they seem to be almost exact copies from the originals, but I guess now is best to wait for retrobit. Hope they do controllers for all consoles and not just USB devices.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with or advice about original XBox component cables? I bought some for <$10 a long time ago but I just tried playing the system and the original composite cable looks better

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cornflakes posted:

Does anyone have any experience with or advice about original XBox component cables? I bought some for <$10 a long time ago but I just tried playing the system and the original composite cable looks better

Are they just 5 cables (Y/Pb/Pr/AudioL/AudioR) or is it that "component HD" breakout box thingie with S/PDIF as an option? Did you actually set your TV's resolution in the Xbox's system settings?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

univbee posted:

Are they just 5 cables (Y/Pb/Pr/AudioL/AudioR) or is it that "component HD" breakout box thingie with S/PDIF as an option? Did you actually set your TV's resolution in the Xbox's system settings?

I had the box on mine (still kicking around somewhere) and it always looked great. I didn't even know there was a cable version, when I went looking for component cables, that's what Microsoft had out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I recently got some cheap Xbox component cables without the breakout box thing, and the games look way better in 480p (let alone 720p/1080i, but not too many games support those). There should be a night and day difference between that and composite.

As univbee said, you do need to activate the higher resolutions in the system menu or it'll default to 480i.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Several Goblins posted:

Thanks for this, I didn't know that. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. I'm blown away at how many bootleg Dualshocks are out there.

the ebay link I provided has two good condition assuredly non-bootleg dualshock 2s for a low price.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've been going back through some MyLifeInGaming videos. Is the Ultra HDMI still the best option for n64? I see that it's sold out at least at this game-tech site RetroRGB linked me to... is it the sort of thing that's perpetually sold out or would i be able to get one in the near future?

It's also kind of expensive. Is an RGB mod significantly cheaper? Enough cheaper that its worth taking the step down in visual quality vs the hdmi?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My recommendation is go with svideo to an hdmi adapter and if you have a flash cart, run roms with the anti-aliasing turned off in software.

The thing about the n64 is that those early 3D games just didn’t have the sharp visuals that the earlier pixel art games did. There is only so much to be gained chasing after sharp visuals, and it’s a pretty steeply diminishing return on the N64

S-video, combined with the de-blur roms and then adapted for modern tv’s with an svideo to hdmi adapter I about as good as you can reasonably get.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

I've been going back through some MyLifeInGaming videos. Is the Ultra HDMI still the best option for n64? I see that it's sold out at least at this game-tech site RetroRGB linked me to... is it the sort of thing that's perpetually sold out or would i be able to get one in the near future?

It's also kind of expensive. Is an RGB mod significantly cheaper? Enough cheaper that its worth taking the step down in visual quality vs the hdmi?

I RGB modded mine for like $3 in parts. That said, I agree with Jim that S-video is probably all anybody needs for N64.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

univbee posted:

They’re just normal Y/Pb/Pr, the settings on the Xbox are all good. I was maybe exaggerating a bit when I said it was worse than composite. Gonna test it on my PVM to make sure it’s not the HDTV but then I’ll open it up because I’m guessing poor shielding is to blame.

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

Regarding the RGB mod:

Would you be doing it yourself? Having someone local do it? Shipping it off to a modder? If it's the third option, then factor the departing and returning shipping into the cost of the mod. Also, where would the RGB video be going - component transcoder to consumer TV, PVM, a scaler device like the Framemeister and then to an LCD over HDMI? If you have to buy or acquire those things, then that adds to the RGB cost some more.

It's probably a dead end, in my opinion, especially if you're not far along in the video quality game at this point. I'd say wait for the UltraHDMI to come in stock and see how you feel about the N64 experience again.

wa27 posted:

I RGB modded mine for like $3 in parts. That said, I agree with Jim that S-video is probably all anybody needs for N64.

Eh, my impression is that an RGB mod could be basic or more involved in materials, labor, and cost depending on the video hardware in the console. I'm sure Monitor Burn or someone else could chime in on this better, though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Eh, my impression is that an RGB mod could be basic or more involved in materials, labor, and cost depending on the video hardware in the console. I'm sure Monitor Burn or someone else could chime in on this better, though.

Oh yeah, you're right. I had a model that was easy to mod.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm pretty sure I've got a launch N64 still and I do have a framemeister. I could probably mod it myself. I'm not super experienced but I'm not completely inexperienced with a soldering iron. Some youtubes would probably get me through it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like My Life in Gaming, but what the big deal about installing a brand new mod chip in the 1Chip SNES just to fix a slight brightness issue it has?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you pause on the screens they chose, it shows that you retain detail. Like they said, you can't fix distortion at the source. Starting with a darker image and brightening it up (relatively, in the SNES's case) with a digital brightener is better and retains more image quality than starting with a blown-out image and trying to darken it later for the details.

With the CRTs of the day, nobody cared. We all wanted more brightness in our screens. But this is a different era.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think I might not really notice the slight brightness since the scanline setting I use with the OSSC does a slight darkening, which I think counteracts the brightness the Mini is getting.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just completely recapped the chassis and neckboard of the monitor in my NAC, did it because of a slow warmup issue where on a cold powerup the screen looked like this for 10 minutes or so until looking normal (or what I thought was normal):

After the recap not only is the slow warmup issue gone but it looks astoundingly good, even before the necessary recalibration you have to do when you do a recap

I really suck at CRT photography but just about every minor bleed/ghosting/etc issue has disappeared and contrast and colors are loving insane. Proper color calibration is a total pain so I'm not doing it tonight but I can't wait to see it when it's done. Recap your CRT chassi yall

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys, remember Nintendo Power? It's back!

In podcast form!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/943704654893924352

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Doc Morbid posted:

I recently got some cheap Xbox component cables without the breakout box thing, and the games look way better in 480p (let alone 720p/1080i, but not too many games support those). There should be a night and day difference between that and composite.

As univbee said, you do need to activate the higher resolutions in the system menu or it'll default to 480i.
Wasn't there some weird button combo you had to do to access the resolution options in the first place? Like hold both triggers and click both sticks, something like that?

Speaking of Xbox consoles, I moved my 360 the other day and it reminded me how funny their original AV-out cable was. This big Kraken-looking thing with component video cables, composite video, and stereo audio. And then the cable itself had a physical switch to select video modes and an inline port for optical/toslink audio. Amusing to compare that to a single HDMI cable today.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 21, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Wasn't there some weird button combo you had to do to access the resolution options in the first place? Like hold both triggers and click both sticks, something like that?

No, that was PS2, generally for activating Progressive Scan. It was usually holding two face buttons as the game was booting but which buttons those were varied from game to game.

The Xbox had an actual system menu you could set your resolution in. That said, some games could have odd behavior at certain higher settings, like Soul Calibur 2 supports 720p but only in 4x3 aspect ration (960x720 resolution). The only way to actually get Widescreen was to tell the console your setup's highest supported setting was 480p, and then you got widescreen.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

I just completely recapped the chassis and neckboard of the monitor in my NAC, did it because of a slow warmup issue where on a cold powerup the screen looked like this for 10 minutes or so until looking normal (or what I thought was normal):

After the recap not only is the slow warmup issue gone but it looks astoundingly good, even before the necessary recalibration you have to do when you do a recap

I really suck at CRT photography but just about every minor bleed/ghosting/etc issue has disappeared and contrast and colors are loving insane. Proper color calibration is a total pain so I'm not doing it tonight but I can't wait to see it when it's done. Recap your CRT chassi yall

:aaaaa: okay time to stop dragging my feet on my recap projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

univbee posted:

Hey guys, remember Nintendo Power? It's back!

Yes, I loved NP. They did a really good job showing off the games without being too preachy via reviews or whatever. Although they did try that a couple times during my subscription run (91-96) and it didn't go over well with readers.

Speaking of which, NP and Lone Wolf gamebooks were the only things I read for pleasure during middle school. Never been much of a reader, even though I like RPGs (and reading internet forums about games). It's a bit of a curse.