Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People hate hearing this answer because it's honestly pretty boring that your weird experience is just stupid brain stuff, but it's true. My mom still swears up and down that a bunch of grays tried breaking into her house when she was younger and described basically every sleep paralysis experience I've ever seen and gets indignant when I tell her that's all it was. You would think people would be comforted by the fact that the malevolent aliens they have been fearing would come back for them aren't real, but instead they get pissed off at you and your fancy book learning.

so several fighter pilots (and their cameras) experienced :airquote:"sleep paralysis":airquote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's clearly a drone bro. Like, dude, it's totes a drone, bro.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

maskenfreiheit posted:

so several fighter pilots (and their cameras) experienced :airquote:"sleep paralysis":airquote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

UFO does not necessarily equal aliens.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

got any sevens posted:

One time as a kid i thought i saw an alien in my room, but i wasnt paralized, i got up and it vanished then i looked out the window and a flying lit up triangle flew away real fast
:tinfoil:

Oh no no no, I wasn’t trying to abduct you. I see how you might have been frightened by that. No, I was just jacking off.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

UFO does not necessarily equal aliens.

cool anything else you saw on the history channel you'd like to repeat for us in the thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Aliens did not build the pyramids. We did invent horses, however.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

maskenfreiheit posted:

cool anything else you saw on the history channel you'd like to repeat for us in the thread

Have you watched the history channel lately? The bird hair dude would laugh in my face if I even suggested the possibility that an unidentified object wasn't of alien origin.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
found the puppetmaster

fruit on the bottom posted:

Nice rap sheet. Sure would be a shame if something were to add to it.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Have you watched the history channel lately? The bird hair dude would laugh in my face if I even suggested the possibility that an unidentified object wasn't of alien origin.

Last week I caught an episode of Ancient Aliens that was literally a bio piece on Steve Jobs and Apple but at the end of every segment the narrator would break in a dramatic tone over quick cuts of static images about "...but this revelation was just TOO ADVANCED to be borne of earth...", then a cut to another segment about Apple that was just boring facts with no mention of aliens. I would be pissed if I got tricked into being on the loving ancient aliens show.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

One time as a kid i thought i saw an alien in my room, but i wasnt paralized, i got up and it vanished then i looked out the window and a flying lit up triangle flew away real fast

Did it leave any kind of chocolate candy behind? Reeses Pieces or M&Ms?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

got any sevens posted:

Despite regularly experiencing sleep paralysis I never actually saw a grey in any of my childhood nightmares, but jesus loving christ did the cover of Communion scare the gently caress out of me. My brother always enjoyed tormenting me with the copy he owned. :tinfoil:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I used to be scared of posting from like, 2005-2017 but now I think I went too far in the other direction.

Hell, same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SavageGentleman posted:

Well it's understandable that people who feel like they had a horrible experience - even if it's not caused by real aliens, but by brain fuckery or misremembered abuse - react angry if you tell them that they all imagined it - it feels real. Psychologists at an American university were actually doing a few studies with abductees to find out how many were consciously telling bs stories to make themselves interesting by measuring their unconscious body signals (sweat, eyes, brain activity among others) when asking them about their experiences. It turns out that many of the participants were somatically reacting like they were suffering from real trauma. So even if the source is not real, the effects are!

@ yeah I eat rear end: Maybe buy your mom any of the xcom games so she can get symbolic revenge against the greys?

As someone with a long time phobia of Greys, it didn't help.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Twin Peaks has the most believable aliens.

Also, get romantically and sexually involved with your therapist and Let Chaos Reign.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

There's already a GBS thread on the NY times UFO story.

Unfortunately those UFOs aren't extraterrestrial - they're Russian.

The Soviets (and later Russians) snatched some Kraut scientists. (This is the source of a lot of the weirdness around Hitler's bunker stuff)

The Russians have outshone us in space for a while, ever since the shuttle ended they've been the defacto world power.

Now, we can still nuke the poo poo out of them, but the Americans have such a hard on for air superiority the idea of hypersonic stealth UAVs that can outfly an F/A-18 Super Hornet really make them piss themselves. Protip: if you can do that, you can probably kamikaze an aircraft carrier. Then it's GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER. And if they're carrying nukes? Well... you get the picture.

also: everyone on the Internet who does not share your political opinions is a Russian plant

It's true, I saw it on Twitter

quote:

My dad got me an early Christmas present this year. It was dropped off on my front porch in a nice box with his name on it. Inside that box was a pistol and one bullet and a note that said “Just do it, son”.

This is the 4th Christmas he’s urged me to murder myself, but the most blatant one by far.

I'm sure this happened

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

I'm sure this happened

Jesus Christ how bad are you at taking hints if this is the 4th Christmas??

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

also: everyone on the Internet who does not share your political opinions is a Russian plant

It's true, I saw it on Twitter

I'm sure this happened

for the second, there is a high bar to sue someone for "intentional infliction of emotional distress" due to that pesky 1st amendment, but that would probably qualify.

Also I'm pretty sure just mailing a gun through USPS in a box is a crime, so why not let your local violence monopolists aka the police rough him up a bit before suing him. the police record helps establish your civil case :10bux:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

loquacius posted:

“Just do it, son”.

It could be for killing him. Maybe he's the one asking for sweet release you self centered prick.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

loquacius posted:

Russia is still putting their 5th(really 4.5th) generation fighter aircraft together with wood glue. Not being hyperbolic, but in this specific case I believe its more likely they're extra-terrestrial than Russian built.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Russia is still putting their 5th(really 4.5th) generation fighter aircraft together with wood glue. Not being hyperbolic, but in this specific case I believe its more likely they're extra-terrestrial than Russian built.

why would you waste rubles on the fighters you build for show when your secret fleet is that elite :tinfoil:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
suison should continue to spitefully live just to talk poo poo on pop's deathbed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No one ever said UFOs weren't made of wood.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

that pesky 1st amendment

local violence monopolists aka the police

This juxtaposition makes me itch.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

SniperWoreConverse posted:

suison should continue to spitefully live just to talk poo poo on pop's deathbed

*at suicide son's father's deathbed*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPhPeb5TTw

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
are there big titty blue aliens inside these tic tac things this is important

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

morally adept posted:

Despite regularly experiencing sleep paralysis I never actually saw a grey in any of my childhood nightmares, but jesus loving christ did the cover of Communion scare the gently caress out of me. My brother always enjoyed tormenting me with the copy he owned. :tinfoil:

:same:
Why did that cover scare us so much? I was terrified of aliens around that time of my life.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blarzgh posted:

This juxtaposition makes me itch.

i was implying that it's probably a good thing you can't sue people who make you sad due to the chilling effect that would have on free speech, but i understand that as a lawyer it's hard for you to think critically unless you can find a citation telling you what you should think about something

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

i was implying that it's probably a good thing you can't sue people who make you sad due to the chilling effect that would have on free speech, but i understand that as a lawyer it's hard for you to think critically unless you can find a citation telling you what you should think about something

Somebody didn't eat a good breakfast and now they're grumpy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Is there precedent for that?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Nocheez posted:

:same:
Why did that cover scare us so much? I was terrified of aliens around that time of my life.

The boomers sold us out and allowed their own children to be abducted in return for technology?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blarzgh posted:

objection, badgering the witness

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’ll allow it, but watch yourself counselor.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I call Deez Nutz to the stand

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*court room bustles with loud whispers and news reporters run out to the pay phones to report the situation as it happens

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Objection. Testimony by Deez Nutz is prejidudiatial until xxWeedlordbonerhitler420xx gives their testimony first.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

Objection! Heresay!Thats pretty much all Its Sunny taught me about lawyering other than “I’ll allow it”.

Edit: beaten like Rickety Cricket

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Von_Doom posted:

Objection! Heresay!Thats pretty much all Its Sunny taught me about lawyering other than “I’ll allow it”.

Edit: beaten like Rickety Cricket

Thats basically all it is. That and stuff like, "suing someone over a mean facebook post will not be a good financial decision for you and you're going to be mad at me in 6 months when you finally start paying attention to how much its costing you."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ho ho ho, thread, time for a Christmas downer

quote:

On Christmas Eve of 2006 I (19 at the time) came home to find my father had moved away and my mother was now in a relationship with our neighbor.

Mom and Dad broke up over drugs - Dad loved them, Mom didn’t. Dad decided drugs were better than his family, so he left. The cops found him in February of 2007; frozen to death in an unheated cabin he broke into near Lake Erie. RIP Dad, you were still a good father to me.

Christmas Eve was awful. Mom and the neighbor (19 years her junior, and only a decade older than me) were way too close. At one point he moved his hands between her thighs and she pushed it away since she knew I saw.

My mother was at least 280 lbs at this point, and her hair was balding due to a genetic condition.

I left on Christmas Day, about 6 pm, to drive home to college. I could have stayed another day but it was too weird. I wasn’t shocked that Dad left, I kind of always expected that. But Mom with a new guy was too much.

Mom went into the hospital after they found Dad. She must have still loved him a bit, and the shock was too much. She came out of the hospital different, like she was in a fog.

My penis stopped working that winter, too. I’d been with a few girls before then, and dated a few after this. But I could never get it up again. I couldn’t clear my mind enough - id always imagine Mom or Dad or just get too distracted in my own head.

It’s been a long time and that still stands.

I have given up on finding love and would be content to just jerk off.

I have undergone therapy, relaxation procedures... even surgery. Nothing worked. Some nights I get horny bit nothing happens, and those are the nights I pray for death. Cool and uncompromising. My only joy in this world is my anime collection. It’s a penis substitute, I do not deny this.

But even I am starting to lose interest since I’ve watched everything dozens of times now.

quote:

My wife of 7 years unlocked and accessed repressed memories of chronic sexual abuse from her biological father.

When she accessed these memories - she entered a strange psychosis where she emotionally and physically re-lived these moments, acting out injuries or fears. She repeated a chant she would sing to get herself to sleep.

Needless to say this was incredibly traumatising for us both. We've booked sessions with the relevant professionals but I'm filled with dread.
We've checked out some books from the library and it appears we have a long road ahead of us.

I'm racked with guilt as my first reaction is to leave (our marriage has already made it through infidelity - she cheated - her sexual identity is all kinds of hosed up). It's been tough enough already, I don't know that i'm strong enough to get through this.

All I can really say is good luck to everyone involved in both feshes, and have faith, you'll get through this poo poo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
recovered memories have dubious science backing them

i hope anon's gf gets the treatment she seems to need from a reputable, evidence based practitioner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovered-memory_therapy#Professional_guidelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

morally adept posted:

The boomers sold us out and allowed their own children to be abducted in return for technology?

Stranger Things spoilers?