Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Grieving Mother said she couldn’t stand by if I gave the baby to Ethik Nol. She wasn’t in my party when I did. Does she do anything if she is?

I’ve been playing a generally good-hearted character so it’s funny that I did this while Eder and Pallegina said nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can you only get the deadfire items if you preordered?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Can you only get the deadfire items if you preordered?

No, it is a free DLC - everyone who own or will own PoE1 gets access to them.

You have to buy them from a merchant at Anslogs's Compass.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

snoremac posted:

Grieving Mother said she couldn’t stand by if I gave the baby to Ethik Nol. She wasn’t in my party when I did. Does she do anything if she is?

She leaves your party permanently.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parenthesis posted:

The beta patch for PoE1 3.08 has just dropped. It mainly deals with fixing the items added in the Deadfire pack.

did they fix the soulbound arbalest actually making attack/reload slower rather than faster, too?

I don't see that in the notes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Hey you bunch of affable gamers,

Our update is now live! To gain access to the Backer Beta, visit this (Forum Link) for step by step instructions. This is a Beta and will most definitely contain a few issues. Please report any issues you find here (Forum Link).

Backer Beta Builds Where and when?

Mac: Steam or GoG after 4:00 P.M.

Win: Steam or GoG after 4:00 P.M.

Linux: Steam after 4:00 P.M. GoG version will be here soon.

We have some pretty hefty patch notes for you. Below you will find; New Content, System Changes, Bug Fixes, and Known Issues.

NEW CONTENT

Prepatch (Build 4) saves are not compatible and will not be available in the Save/Load Menu with this patch (Build 21). We are still ironing out some save/load issues on our end and don't want you all to run into unnecessary issues.

A new uncharted Island - A new island has been added to the world map.

Custom Party AI - Our complete AI system will be available. This system still has some rough edges but should be functional. Hit it and tell us what you think.

Mac/Linux versions both on GoG and Steam - These builds are very 'fresh' with many unexplored pieces. We would love some feedback/bugs on these.

Walk Toggle - The long awaited walk toggle has been added. RP your hearts out J

SYSTEM CHANGES

We listened closely to all of your feedback over the past month, and are rolling out some changes to improve gameplay.

Injuries:

Updated Injuries so that only some Injury types will reduce Max Health. When they do, they'll reduce it by 15%, rather than 25%. Players will still die when gaining their 4th Injury, even if none of the Injuries they have reduce MaxHealth.

Here are the Injuries that affect MaxHealth:

Fatigued
Frail
Major Injury
Critical Injury
Maimed
Severe Wound
Here are the Injuries that don't:

Acute Rash
Bruised Ribs
Concussion
Frostbite
Burned
Smashed Hands
Sprained Wrist
Swollen Eye
System Shock
Twisted Ankle
Wrenched Knee
Wrenched Shoulder
Interrupt:

Modified a couple of abilities whose primary purpose is to interrupt targets, so that they will Interrupt on Graze or better, rather than Hit or better. This affects the following abilities:

Fighter: Knockdown and Mule Kick
Monk: Force of Anguish, Wave of Force, and Skyward Kick
Ranger: Concussive Shot and Concussive Tranquilizer
Rogue: Sap and Perplexing Sap
Other interrupt abilities `either always hit, or applied an Affliction and so already got a benefit for a

Graze. They still require the character to have Grazes from another source (Fighter Confident Aim, Aware Inspiration, etc.)

Movement:

Reducing movement speeds to 85% of their previous amount.

Attributes:

In Pillars 1 and Deadfire (now), the Might and Resolve attributes affect the following:

Might - All Damage, All Healing, Fortitude Defense
Resolve - Concentration (Pillars 1 only), Deflection Defense, Will Defense
Players have noted the following over the past few years:

If you're a caster, there's often not much reason to invest in Resolve (especially in Deadfire).
From a *~ roleplaying ~* perspective, it feels weird to have muscley wizards casting high damage fireballs because they can bench 350 lbs.
So we are making these changes for the next Backer Beta build:

Strength - All Weapon Damage, Fortitude Defense
Resolve - All Healing, All Spell Damage, Deflection Defense, Will Defense
For ease of use, "Weapon Damage" means anything that's an equipped weapon, from a sword to a bow to a gun to Kalakoth's Minor Blights. This also means there's a benefit to making a high-Strength wizard (i.e., being a psycho melee "gish" wizard).

Spells:

Slow cast spells will use the Fast (2s base) recovery time instead of Average (3s base). The Very Slow cast spells (typically summons) will now use the Very Fast (1s base) recovery time.

Penetration:

Modified the Penetration system slightly, along with how Penetration displays in the mouse-over tooltip in combat.

When your Penetration is below the target's Armor, there is now a gradual reduction in damage. The current values are (and may be tweaked as we play with them a bit):

-1 Pen = 75% Damage
-2 Pen = 50% Damage
-3 or more Pen = 25% Damage
It's still 100% damage up until you are at double Pen, and then 130% damage from there.

Along with this change, Penetration will now ONLY display on the combat tooltip when you are either BELOW Pen, or you don't yet know the target's Armor value for the damage type you'll deal.

Attack Speed:

Updated the attack speed of most 1H weapons to use an Average (3s) recovery time, instead of Fast (previously 1s). Fast recovery times are now 2s, rather than 1s. The overall result of these changes is that combat will have a slower pace as recovery times for 1H weapons is increased.

Here are the 1H weapons that will have a Fast (2s) recovery time. All other 1H weapons are Average recovery:

Stiletto
Hatchet
Dagger
Rapier
Club
Flail
Monk Fists
As part of this change, we also looked at the overall damage ranges of weapons, with the goal of making 2H weapons a viable choice compared to 1H weapons.

Recovery:

Base recovery time for a Slow recovery attack is now 4s, instead of 5s. Very slow is now 7s instead of 8s.

More importantly, we updated the recovery penalty from armor, as follows:

20%: Light Armor (Leather, Hide, Padded)
35%: Medium Armor (Scale, Breastplate, Mail)
55%: Heavy Armor (Brigandine, Plate)
Graze:

All attacks can inherently Graze. We updated the Aware Inspiration to grant 50% Graze to Hit conversion, and fighter Confident Aim also grants 50% Graze to Hit (meaning Fighters who have both will hit a lot more). Grazing will reduce damage and status effect / affliction duration by 50%. We might consider having graze downgrade Tier 3 & Tier 2 afflictions, like an inherent Resistance.

Rogue:

Rogue Escape ability. It now costs 1 Guile to use (previously it was 2). It is no longer removed when you choose Shadow Step/Shadowing Beyond, but it is a requirement in order to gain either of those abilities.
Ranger:

Ranger abilities Wounding Shot, Accurate Wounding Shot, Hobbling Shot, Concussive Shot, Concussive Tranquilizer, and Stunning Shots will now work with melee weapon attacks.
Priest:

Priests will now receive an automatic spell when they reach every new Power Level. For a single-class Priest, that's at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 16, and 19.
Updated Priests so that they no longer lose access to spells based on type. IE: Eothas Priests no longer lose access to Protection spells.
Fighter:

Mule Kick is now a standalone ability, not a Knock Down upgrade. It requires Knock Down to learn, but doesn't replace it. It now does bonus damage and will Disorient the target, and will cost 3 points to use.
Ranger:

Wounding Shot - Since Wounding Shot and its upgrades were reduced to 1 point, tuned down the bonus Raw damage a bit.
Marked Prey - As with Sworn Enemy, Marked Prey will now work correctly w/ ranged & AoE attacks.
Paladin:

Paladin Orders like Priests, players were required to pick a Paladin Order during character creation. We've removed the drawbacks from picking the various Orders.
Lay on Hands -Greater Lay on Hands and Hands of Light are no longer upgrades to Lay on Hands. They require Lay on Hands, but do not replace it. Their effects remain the same.
Sworn Enemy - has been updated to work correctly with ranged & AoE attacks
BUG FIXES

Thanks to all you wonderful gamers providing tons of feedback/bugs. We spent this past month addressing as many of it as we could; here are some of the highlights.

General Issues:

(FIXED) Mild to severe drop in frame rate on first load. We are still in the process of optimizing our game.
(FIXED) Some machines may crash on a black screen on first 'New Game'
(FIXED) A few different creatures (Imp, Beetle, etc..) are missing audio
(FIXED) Some NPCs will have abilities that activate after each transition
(FIXED) Party will spawn halfway below the ground after destroying the Adra Pillar in Poko Kohara
Class Specific:

(FIXED) Chanter phrase count is not updating after Save/Load
(FIXED) Multiclass Barbarian/Priest (Shaman) lose passives
(FIXED) Wizard/Druid/Priest 'aggressive' AI preset will mainly auto attack
(FIXED) Mercenary Wizard is currently listed as a dwarf and gains 'Hale and Hardy' but visually is a Human
UI:

(FIXED) Some menus are cut off in certain resolutions
(FIXED) All tooltips regarding Action Speed, Recovery Time, and Reload Time are incorrect (Don't trust them)
(FIXED) HUD elements may flicker/phase out of existence after a save/load cycle
(FIXED) Adra Pillar in Poko Kohara disappears after Save/Load
(FIXED) Player character portrait doesn't fill red to show damage after Save/Load
(FIXED) Loading Error that kicks to the Main Menu transitioning after Save/Load
Spells and Abilities:

(FIXED) Spell Levels in Ability Trees and Grimoires do not match
(FIXED) Bull's Will Passive can be obtained twice for Multiclass Players
Miscellaneous:

(FIXED) Off screen Character Position Portraits all display the 5th slot party member
(FIXED) Animation controller issue with Blights and Spores. If you Knock Down/Up either of these enemies they will be put into a bad state and combat will not end.
(FIXED) Players can obtain infinite money or debt by buying hammer and chisels from Vektor
Combat:

(FIXED) Mule Kick makes enemies untargettable and stuck in combat
(FIXED) Enemies sometimes duplicate on save/load
(FIXED) Weapon Recovery speeds are inconsistent
(FIXED) Skeleton Sorcerers attack themselves in Poko Kohara
(FIXED) Weapon Focus Barbarian ability is combat only (Currently being worked on)
(FIXED) Kith (humanoid) enemies will sometimes attack themselves
KNOWN ISSUES IN THE CURRENT BACKER BETA

These issues are still a priority for us, but there is only so much time in a day and we didn't want to keep you all waiting any longer.

All Platforms:

Mercenary Priest level up summary has much larger text than other characters
Items can be duplicated in rest menu
'Broodmother's Fury' Loading an autosave before starting the quest will block the quest from turn in at end
Some machines may crash when quitting to the Main Menu from within the game
The Game doesn't boot in native resolution after installation
Ranger 'Ghostheart' summoned spirit companions will sometimes blend into the background
Chanter will not have audio for their abilities (Chants or invocations)
Linux:

Loading a save outside of Tikawara and returning to Tikawara will open Character Creation
Encounter between Ravine and Tikawara reappears
New Game takes forever to launch character creation
Mac:

Crash when loading an encounter autosave from a different scene
New Game takes forever to launch character creation

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
New Deadfire patch yay! The character creation isn't making my computer fans spin like crazy any more.

I'm just looking at the Wizard builds and if I want to be a melee Wizard who gets up close with summoned weapons, I'd think a Conjurer first, since all the weapon summons spells are conjuration: Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff, Citzal's Spirit Lance, etc. But the Conjurer subclass loses access to Evocation and Illusion. That's losing Mirror Image, Wizard's Double, Flame Shield... most of the defensive spells are split across Enchanting and Illusions. I feel like losing half of them is pretty devastating to survivability, and I'm not sure what else a Conjurer is suppose to be doing other than getting up close... use a lot of Maura's Tentacles? Conversely, an Illusionist loses access to Conjuration spells so that would be the opposite problem.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Those changes look pretty great.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Face 2 for Male Elf is... interesting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It looks like they adjusted cast and recovery times slightly, but good lord is it not enough -- Whisper of Treason is now 6 cast / 2 recovery instead of 6 cast / 3 recovery, but the base duration is still 10 seconds. Those are base values sure but even reducing effective cast time by 30% and increasing duration by 45% (ie. 20 dex 19 int), that just gets you to a 5.6 second cast time for 14.5 seconds of duration.

Adjust that duration for the expected value of the attack roll vs. equivalent defense -- i.e, the amount of duration you can expect to get on average after accounting for grazes, crits, etc. -- you get:

50+(25/2)+(1*1.25) == 62.5% expected value of any given attack (using the new attack roll calculation with grazes and 25% crits on a roll of 100).

So, 14.5 * 62.5% . . . . you're talking 9.06 seconds of average charm effect duration for 5.6 seconds of cast/recovery time, and that's with perfectly optimized stats for this exact question.

If you go with, say, 15 int 15 dex instead . . . then you're just talking +25% duration and +15% action speed, so Whisper would take 8.5 seconds to cast and recover and last for 12.5 seconds; run that through the attack calculation and you're at 7.81 seconds -- the expected value of the attack is less than the the casting+recovery time. You're literally taking yourself out of the fight more by casting it than you are, on average, incapacitating an enemy.

Compare with the first game, where Whisper was "fast" casting speed, i.e., slightly more than 2 seconds base, for 10 seconds of duration!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 21, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In PoE1 does your defense against a particular thing (ie. prone) effect duration of the spell or the likelihood of it working?

I'm assuming however it works, the extra defense works like this: +20 prone defense = enemy accuracy vs. deflection + 20.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

slight tangent but rope kid, to address your bird tweet, gotta have ambient parrots. cockatoos, budgies, lorikeets I think would all work great--macaws are mega pretty but something I can't pin down makes them seem like a bad fit.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

snoremac posted:

In PoE1 does your defense against a particular thing (ie. prone) effect duration of the spell or the likelihood of it working?

I'm assuming however it works, the extra defense works like this: +20 prone defense = enemy accuracy vs. deflection + 20.

Your assumption is correct. It adds the bonus to whatever defense is being targeted. Duration is only affected by criticals and grazes. I don't remember anything explicitly modifying the length of debuffs outside of that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trebuchet King posted:

slight tangent but rope kid, to address your bird tweet, gotta have ambient parrots. cockatoos, budgies, lorikeets I think would all work great--macaws are mega pretty but something I can't pin down makes them seem like a bad fit.

Macaws are native to the Caribbean and N/S/Central America, not to Oceania, is probably it.

Still, they're the classic Pirates of the Caribbean Boid, so people might want that.

They could use all the New Zealand birds, including stuff like Haast's Eagle..

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 21, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Macaws are native to the Caribbean and N/S/Central America, not to Oceania, is probably it.

Still, they're the classic Pirates of the Caribbean Boid, so people might want that.

They could use all the New Zealand birds, including stuff like Haast's Eagle..

Get some goddam kaka in there they are the best

Also a random chance when resting for a feral weka to steal some supplies

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

Get some goddam kaka in there they are the best

Also a random chance when resting for a feral weka to steal some supplies

My favorite NZ bird was the Tui, just because the little bowties are so cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzPi_998Ghk

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 21, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

if I had known about these studies (well, and had had the money to back at the appropriate tier) I'd have loved to get a goffin's cockatoo as a +mechanics pet.

Tool manufacture/use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpRLNj48AI

Puzzle-solving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKxfUFbXKM

edit: a really good analogue to that bear cave fight at the start of pillars 1 would be a cassowary, those fuckers will push your poo poo in with that brutal big-rear end talon.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 21, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The POE1 beta patch seems to fix the hat, but doesn't do anything to the Arquebus? (It currently has an 'upgrade' that makes it take forever to reload, making it borderline worthless outside of the initial shot.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trebuchet King posted:

if I had known about these studies (well, and had had the money to back at the appropriate tier) I'd have loved to get a goffin's cockatoo as a +mechanics pet.

Tool manufacture/use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpRLNj48AI

Puzzle-solving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKxfUFbXKM

Your common crow and other corvids are generally similarly advanced in problem solving and tool use, if not more so. Less trainable, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My favorite NZ bird was the Tui, just because the little bowties are so cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzPi_998Ghk

actually even a few tui calls in there would be neat, ropekid. they're so beautiful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The continued identity crises of the cipher aside, I'm curious as to how the Resolve change will effect a) classes that don't use melee weapons (I suspect all we've actually done is potentially changed "Strength" into a dump stat for casters), b) classes that were meant to use both a melee weapon and heal (as "Strength" no longer regulates healing, I suspect this will secretly be a somewhat nasty nerf for Fighters and potentially Chanters), and c) classes who want to do a little bit of both (the ol' lightning spell -> shift may not be so good for druids, and hybrids could potentially suffer bad).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't like that they yield to people complaining that "Might = Physical Strength." But oh well, if they can not have that and still make a good game I can get over it. I guess. Eventually.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Scorchy posted:

New Deadfire patch yay! The character creation isn't making my computer fans spin like crazy any more.

I'm just looking at the Wizard builds and if I want to be a melee Wizard who gets up close with summoned weapons, I'd think a Conjurer first, since all the weapon summons spells are conjuration: Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff, Citzal's Spirit Lance, etc. But the Conjurer subclass loses access to Evocation and Illusion. That's losing Mirror Image, Wizard's Double, Flame Shield... most of the defensive spells are split across Enchanting and Illusions. I feel like losing half of them is pretty devastating to survivability, and I'm not sure what else a Conjurer is suppose to be doing other than getting up close... use a lot of Maura's Tentacles? Conversely, an Illusionist loses access to Conjuration spells so that would be the opposite problem.
Illusionist was awful for me when I made a Darcozzi/Illusionist tank. You don't want to be without Arcane Veil.
There's not really a Wizard subclass that seems suitable for melee.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

I don't like that they yield to people complaining that "Might = Physical Strength." But oh well, if they can not have that and still make a good game I can get over it. I guess. Eventually.

I will remain salty for both of us!

Might was a unique and interesting game design mechanic that communicated the soul-focused nature of the setting in a neat way. Strength/Resolve is just humdrum.

Plus the change hurts hybrids :shrug:.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

MikeJF posted:

Your common crow and other corvids are generally similarly advanced in problem solving and tool use, if not more so. Less trainable, though.

common crows can use the environment (dropping nuts into the path of cars, so getting run over cracks the shell open) and the new caledonian crow will even bend the end of sticks to fish grubs out of holes, but tool manufacture as demonstrated by goffin’s cockatoos i do not believe has been similarly observed in crows. There’s a video around (I’ll try and fish it up later) of wild crows solving an eight part puzzle, too.

Crows are super cool, yeah, but they’re a better aesthetic fit for the Dyrwood than Deadfire.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A wizard gives you a quest to destroy the wild crow population before they become intelligent enough to threaten the civilised races.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

A wizard gives you a quest to destroy the wild crow population before they become intelligent enough to threaten the civilised races.

We do already have the boat and firearms are a thing in this setting....

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

We do already have the boat and firearms are a thing in this setting....

I hope we can solve at least some shore encounters with a broadside.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I hope we can solve at least some shore encounters with a broadside.

I just want every long winded conversation to have a "gently caress this, let's go sail out of the harbor, anchor up, and drink" option somewhere in the dialogue tree. Like if I had a pirate boat and my own crew I am not gonna spend a lot of time standing around and listening to people talk about their problems.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

bongwizzard posted:

I just want every long winded conversation to have a "gently caress this, let's go sail out of the harbor, anchor up, and drink" option somewhere in the dialogue tree. Like if I had a pirate boat and my own crew I am not gonna spend a lot of time standing around and listening to people talk about their problems.

Ah the old Assassins Creed Black Flag decision

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

bongwizzard posted:

They can come to my boat and tell me their problems over a drink.

At that point I'm already a pretty chill guy, if I help them you can call me Saint Boat.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I wrote a small script to randomly generate parties for the Deadfire beta.

The first character the horrible thing shat out was an Enchanter/Ascendant. :shepicide:

It also gave me a Helwalker/Trickster, though, which actually sounds really cool.

And a Beguiler/Nalpazca, the pass the blunt class combination.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

They can come to my boat and tell me their problems over a drink.

At that point I'm already a pretty chill guy, if I help them you can call me Saint Boat.

Nobody wants a buzzkill to show up and bring the whole party down. I want every quest giver to have to beat my party in combat to subdue them first, before launching into their dull rear end tale of woe and misfortune.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

I wrote a small script to randomly generate parties for the Deadfire beta.

The first character the horrible thing shat out was an Enchanter/Ascendant. :shepicide:

It also gave me a Helwalker/Trickster, though, which actually sounds really cool.

And a Beguiler/Nalpazca, the pass the blunt class combination.

:justpost:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Trebuchet King posted:

common crows can use the environment (dropping nuts into the path of cars, so getting run over cracks the shell open) and the new caledonian crow will even bend the end of sticks to fish grubs out of holes, but tool manufacture as demonstrated by goffin’s cockatoos i do not believe has been similarly observed in crows. There’s a video around (I’ll try and fish it up later) of wild crows solving an eight part puzzle, too.

Crows are super cool, yeah, but they’re a better aesthetic fit for the Dyrwood than Deadfire.

I'll beat you to it.

Here is a clever crow. This is probably the puzzle you meant. It's particularly difficult because several of the steps do not seem to be helping until they are all completed (retrieving one rock and dropping it in with the long stick does nothing; doing it three times gets a new tool).

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 21, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It's an R script that I assume almost everyone itt won't be able to do anything with. I can think of you and Furism but apart from that I'm not sure anyone here would be able to use it simply because I don't expect people to have R.
I'll probably turn it into a Python or R Shiny app later though.
But since that will take me longer than 5 minutes it might not happen before the weekend.

If you want a random squad right loving now:
Meadow Folk Devoted/Corpse-Eater
Boreal Dwarf Trickster/Monk
Mountain Dwarf Troubadour/Illusionist
Death Godlike Corpse-Eater
Nature Godlike Rogue

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Prism posted:

I'll beat you to it.

Here is a clever crow. This is probably the puzzle you meant. It's particularly difficult because several of the steps do not seem to be helping until they are all completed (retrieving one rock and dropping it in with the long stick does nothing; doing it three times gets a new tool).

I'm not sure if it's crows or ravens that are supposed to be the most intelligent avian known to man, like smarter than most dogs. They're both impressive animals.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm not sure if it's crows or ravens that are supposed to be the most intelligent avian known to man, like smarter than most dogs. They're both impressive animals.

Either. Both. There's no significant scientific distinction; they're both corvids. English just differentiates between 'big corvid' (ravens) and 'not-so-big corvid' (crows) in their common names but it doesn't even do that consistently.

Edit: I think the most tests have been done on the Caledonian crow though - that's the species in the video. They pass the mirror test, too; they can recognize a reflection is them and use it to obtain information about themselves, such as investigating odd-coloured dabs of paint put out of their normal sight but visible in a mirror. But they're not the only clever corvid by a long shot. Ravens (the common raven, corvus corax) make toys to play with.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 21, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dudes, I am finding single class casters incredibly boring right now, like all they can do is stand there and cast spells one after the other till they run out of points. Like not having any other options on level up other than "a new spell" makes it incredibly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Dudes, I am finding single class casters incredibly boring right now, like all they can do is stand there and cast spells one after the other till they run out of points. Like not having any other options on level up other than "a new spell" makes it incredibly boring.

I hear ya. I need to muster up gumption and get my teeth into the new patch but, like, see my post above about the math on cipher crowd control -- it literally isn't worth the time, you're better off autoattacking, casting a charm takes you out of the fight for longer than it takes out an enemy (statistically).

I have a few different ideas on how to address the problem (more spells per levelup; tree progression for vancian casting rather than 2/2/2/2; etc) but the biggest hurdle is just that so many spells aren't worth the bother right now because their casting times were doubled or tripled but their durations and effects were left unchanged.

• Locked thread