Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

osker posted:

There a lot of broke brained Woke Democrats who have no idea what it takes and costs to live in NYC and how those without means do it.

If you are going to post some stupid poo poo about what constitutes rich please attach a list of what you think a 1 bedroom apartment costs, transportation, and payroll taxes for the median income.

It wouldnt be so expensive if a large portion of american, and by default the worlds, wealth wasnt concentrated in nyc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Chilichimp posted:

I am so tired.

chin up fren it friday

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BlueberryCanary posted:

Some days you just want to beat someone with a baseball bat

Those days have become more frequent under the Trump administration

I don't think I can watch Maddow anymore.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

chin up fren it friday

it thirsty, bre

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

I don't think I can watch Maddow anymore.

:frogon:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

LtStorm posted:

I suppose once Trump achieves his goal with ending chain migration he'll move on to plans for annexing Canada to free the suffering American emigrants there from Commonwealth rule.

i guess if anything it'd be interesting to see how the common american in the 21st century would deal with outright imperialistic conquest

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Because it takes me to a dark place.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Charity dog.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a fat dog

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

osker posted:

There a lot of broke brained Woke Democrats who have no idea what it takes and costs to live in NYC and how those without means do it.

If you are going to post some stupid poo poo about what constitutes rich please attach a list of what you think a 1 bedroom apartment costs, transportation, and payroll taxes for the median income.

maybe try living in one of the many areas of the country where cost of living is not so high. I'm an hour and a half from NYC and pay $1100 a month for a 3 bedroom house.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

ascii genitals posted:

maybe try living in one of the many areas of the country where cost of living is not so high. I'm an hour and a half from NYC and pay $1100 a month for a 3 bedroom house.
:psyduck:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's a fat dog

Eh, bullmastiffs only live a decade at the most, so if they want the triple baconator with extra cheese every once in a while..... :v:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Considering that her entire M.O. is that the rabble should pay as much as possible for education to prevent more of them from achieving upward mobility (especially the poorest), yup.

Well, think about it. Her brother runs a mercenary company. If you can't reach higher education through civilian means, what's the easiest path for the lower classes? The military.

It's all pieces of the same strategy. The poor stay as meat for the grinder, and they have to learn on their own time how and why they're considered expendable.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

I live an hour and a half from Seattle and houses are still 400k

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

KickerOfMice posted:

Eh, bullmastiffs only live a decade at the most, so if they want the triple baconator with extra cheese every once in a while..... :v:

loving lol if you don't give you bullmastiffs double quarter pounders with cheese.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ascii genitals posted:

poo poo. Just move, christ why did no one think of this before.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
would i get infracted if i said think its unfair Tiny Brontosaurus gets Perma'd while that loving moron just gets a slap on wrist in comparison? :smith:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
"Why don't you move to a lower cost city so that you can have roughly the same living condition but with a income number that fits my arbitrary statistics better?"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

loving lol if you don't give you bullmastiffs double quarter pounders with cheese.

Just a joke, friend. But it is a fat mastiff. Fat mastiff new band name I call it.

e- and this is the most cannibalistic derail of all of them.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 21, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

fyi this is the lowest of low effort responses to this topic

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Just move further from your job. Easy!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ascii genitals posted:

all of the areas in the circle that's about an hour and a half away from nyc are garbage though?????

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bird cooch posted:

I live an hour and a half from Seattle and houses are still 400k

i think he's comparing to nyc, where $400k will get you an old studio apartment in a mediocre part of town, if you're lucky

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ascii genitals posted:

living in SE MI, I get 1600 sq feet, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, basement, garage for the same price

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just move further from your job. Easy!

Quitting one job with a 90 minute commute and changing to one with a 10 was the single largest quality of life increase I've ever had.

The first couple of weeks were really odd because the day suddenly had 2 more hours on it.

Death to commutes. More and better mass transit and metro planning.

Also death to the "Asses in Chairs" management style where some random loving boss needs to see an rear end in a chair or he just assumes that person isn't working.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
Is there any estimate as to how much money the federal government has spent investigating the Clintons over the years? Whitewater, Lewinsky, Benghazi*, emails, uranium... I have to imagine it's well into the billions.

Of course, conservatives would just use that as evidence of how obviously criminal she is.

*Technically not an investigation into Clinton herself, but we all know that's exactly what kept it going.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

i think he's comparing to nyc, where $400k will get you an old studio apartment in a mediocre part of town, if you're lucky

I'm learning that people are just awful with money. You can get a decent place for like, 3k a month in NYC. What the hell are you spending the rest of that on?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's it like having a job that affords people to be able to live where the rent is three grand?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Quitting one job with a 90 minute commute and changing to one with a 10 was the single largest quality of life increase I've ever had.

yeah, I've actually read a lot on this and this is an absolutely huge quality of life thing. you get used to having a bigger house pretty rapidly and it stops affecting your happiness. you never get used to having a longer commute and it significantly affects your happiness. it's even worse if it's a driving commute as opposed to mass transit where at least you can read a book or something.

trading a longer commute so you can buy a nicer house is not a good life decision.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Star Man posted:

What's it like having a job that affords people to be able to live where the rent is two grand?

Not bad... (living with a fiance... and having 80k in student loans to pay off.)
Could be better.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Race Realists posted:

would i get infracted if i said think its unfair Tiny Brontosaurus gets Perma'd while that loving moron just gets a slap on wrist in comparison? :smith:

Aw Tiny got the scythe? I like her.

Katt fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 21, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But it is a good wife decision am I right fellas? Up top. You know women always be house shopping.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Katt posted:

Aw tiny got the scythe? I liked him.

Apparently not very much if you called her a him.

Unban Tiny Brontosaurus you loving cowards

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Does that high rent exempt you from needing a car? Are you able to avoid that cost altogether?

$1100 will get you a 1 bedroom crappy apartment in my Florida city. And mass transit does not exist here in any appreciable means. We have buses.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lord Harbor posted:

Is there any estimate as to how much money the federal government has spent investigating the Clintons over the years? Whitewater, Lewinsky, Benghazi*, emails, uranium... I have to imagine it's well into the billions.

Of course, conservatives would just use that as evidence of how obviously criminal she is.

*Technically not an investigation into Clinton herself, but we all know that's exactly what kept it going.

I bet they make it back from income tax on earnings by those employed by the the "Hillary did a Thing!" news ecosystem the investigations feed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm learning that people are just awful with money. You can get a decent place for like, 3k a month in NYC. What the hell are you spending the rest of that on?

uh, $36k for housing - in after-tax dollars, you can't compare it to before-tax salary without accounting for that, and NYC is a high-tax area because of local taxes - is a lot. it's hilariously high compared to virtually anywhere else in the world except, like, london and tokyo, especially once you factor in that's a rent payment and not a mortgage so you're not building any equity.

a person making $100k in nyc is making about $66k after taxes, so after housing that's $30k, out of which you've got to include food, transit, entertainment, and savings. you're not in, like, the poorhouse and you are doing reasonably well for yourself, but the salary you need to make $30k in after-tax after-housing money is a lot lower everywhere else.

ummel posted:

Does that high rent exempt you from needing a car? Are you able to avoid that cost altogether?

$1100 will get you a 1 bedroom crappy apartment in my Florida city. And mass transit does not exist here in any appreciable means. We have buses.

if you are in manhattan yes, outside manhattan maybe, maybe not

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Star Man posted:

Apparently not very much if you called her a him.

Seems so.

I failed to protect you in life Tiny and now I failed to honour you in death :negative:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This thread is at its worst when people decide to argue that people are bad with money because they don't understand how cost of living works. Like, I used to live, with student loans, on $20,000 a year, I get the frustration, but people aren't necessarily living in some palatial diamond castle just because their rents are high, nor can they necessarily just move out to a more affordable neighborhood on a whim.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
$1100 converted to colony money will get you a 2/3 bedroom flat in a fairly nice part of Edinburgh,

You can move slightly out of edinburgh to buy a 4 bedroom house for about $200k-250k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xae posted:

The point isn't to propose a solution.

The point is to circle jerk about how great it would be to kill some untermenschen.

that's health insurers' job, and we can't have the proles muscling in on their gig

• Locked thread