Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you think about it Australiargh does sound a bit like something a vengeful god of war would cry after stubbing his toe on New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zipperelli. posted:

Rest assured, those stories are bullshit.

We don't "give up" on someone whose (who's?) heart is still beating. Yeah, you're paralyzed, but your heart will continue to beat, just like you'll still have brain activity. We'll see your heart beating when we hook you up to a cardiac monitor, and when we realize how serious the situation is, we're going loud and fast to the closest hospital.

I read about it in an interview with a marine toxicologist who was studying blue-ringed octopus venom and was talking about her own experience after being envenomated and I definitely remember that the people who were rescuing her were trying to figure out what was happening to her and in her head she was screaming at them to perform CPR but thinking about it now it was probably members of the general public and not paramedics.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

the people who were rescuing her were trying to figure out what was happening to her and in her head she was screaming at them to perform CPR

jfc.

I want to shake this woman. How can you be a PhD and still not realize you don't need loving CPR if your heart is still beating?

This is on a level as bad as the night we were working a cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital. I call the hospital and tell them cardiac arrest, cpr in progress, 5 minutes out, and the loving doc got on the radio and asked:

Doc: "Do you have a pulse?"
Me: "Negative" *to my partner in the back with me: the gently caress is this idiot asking us this for? I JUST told him we were doing compressions..."
Doc: "Ok, do we have a blood pressure?"
Me: "..........We'll see you upon arrival"

I proceeded to yell at him for a solid 2 minutes in the ambulance bay, after we transferred care to the ED team, about why the gently caress he's asking me dumb questions over the radio when we're trying our damndest to get a pulse back on our patient.

For those who don't understand: On our cardiac monitor machines, we can monitor everything. Pulse, oxygen saturation, co2 output, etc. The blood pressure cuff works by feeling for 3 pulses in succession, to calculate the blood pressure. You can't have a blood pressure if you don't have a pulse. Once more: you can't have a loving blood pressure if you don't have a pulse.

Last I heard that doc got fired for medical malfeasance. Dipshit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah she probably said mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and not CPR, I read the article years and years ago

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A quality Loss

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wish I had poison too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This wasn't supposed to be funny, but...

Uhh yeah if they'd have waited they would lose the sale :confused:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zipperelli. posted:

Rest assured, those stories are bullshit.

We don't "give up" on someone whose (who's?) heart is still beating. Yeah, you're paralyzed, but your heart will continue to beat, just like you'll still have brain activity. We'll see your heart beating when we hook you up to a cardiac monitor, and when we realize how serious the situation is, we're going loud and fast to the closest hospital.

Well, you mean unless they've marked that they're an organ donor :wink:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

If you think about it Australiargh does sound a bit like something a vengeful god of war would cry after stubbing his toe on New Zealand.

That's only if you focus on the cane toads and drop bears. And crocs, and well a bunch of things but they don't have the police shootings and otherwise shooting shootings like the good ol' USA

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

DandyLion posted:

Well, you mean unless they've marked that they're an organ donor :wink:

Well duh. If that's the case we just pull out the tools right there wherever we are and get cuttin'

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zipperelli. posted:

Well duh. If that's the case we just pull out the tools right there wherever we are and get cuttin'

I imagine this is a lot like the scene in 'Meaning of Life' re: Live Organ Donation.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

DandyLion posted:

I imagine this is a lot like the scene in 'Meaning of Life' re: Live Organ Donation.

I should be going to bed but now you've got me Googling things. And uh. Yeah. :stare:

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Dec 21, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

That's only if you focus on the cane toads and drop bears. And crocs, and well a bunch of things but they don't have the police shootings and otherwise shooting shootings like the good ol' USA

Favorite stat: more Americans die from being shot by other Americans in an average weekend than all the people who have ever died from nasty Australian animals in recorded history.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bring that stat up all the time both because it is interesting and because it makes a certain type of person very angry.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

syscall girl posted:

Don't forget emus having sex with cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfq0rJaNswA&t=302s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Trig Discipline posted:

I bring that stat up all the time both because it is interesting and because it makes a certain type of person very angry.

I'm actually really curious about this. So is Australian wildlife overblown in the same way shark attacks are? This puts the number around 100 total from what I can tell.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I'm actually really curious about this. So is Australian wildlife overblown in the same way shark attacks are? This puts the number around 100 total from what I can tell.

Absolutely, and fitting given sharks are also Australian wildlife. Albiet a lot of that is because people tend to be well-informed on dangerous wildlife, though also because most of it is found in rural areas and Australia's population is both incredibly sparse and super centralised, so most of the places you find the deadly wildlife have very few people.

I actually did some research, and according to the Australian coroner's office, the animal involved in the most fatalities in Australia, by far, is horses. Like, almost half, I vaguely recall. I think dogs are one of the next most significant causes, and sharks are on par with bees. Kangaroos also cause a significant amount, mostly from car accidents.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Trig Discipline posted:

Favorite stat: more Americans die from being shot by other Americans in an average weekend than all the people who have ever died from nasty Australian animals in recorded history.

Do you have a source for that?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Yep, pretty much exactly that!

https://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice/australias-killer-creatures-the-truth-about-deaths/

These are actually higher numbers than I'd seen before - there's another article that goes deeper into the past but probably missed a few because they came up with a lower annual rate (maybe left out sharks?) Anyway, the long and short of it is that most of that really deadly stuff minds its own business.

e: oh here's another one

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/what-are-the-odds-of-being-killed-by-an-animal-in-australia-infographic/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

I actually did some research, and according to the Australian coroner's office, the animal involved in the most fatalities in Australia, by far, is horses. Like, almost half, I vaguely recall. I think dogs are one of the next most significant causes, and sharks are on par with bees. Kangaroos also cause a significant amount, mostly from car accidents.
That makes sense. Horses are deceptively dangerous animals. Meanwhile if it even looks like that bush-of-pure-pain or the insta-death jellyfish are in the area everyone knows to stay away, as well as obvious Croc habitats. And :lol: that Kangaroo fill a niche similar to deer in the US.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also lemme just say, having done marine fieldwork in both Australia and Okinawa I'm far more skeeved out by Okinawa. It's mostly the same nasty fauna, but in Okinawa the nasty stuff is super thick on the ground (or in the water), while in Australia it's at least occasionally interspersed with something non-horrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

That makes sense. Horses are deceptively dangerous animals. Meanwhile if it even looks like that bush-of-pure-pain or the insta-death jellyfish are in the area everyone knows to stay away, as well as obvious Croc habitats. And :lol: that Kangaroo fill a niche similar to deer in the US.

Pretty much exactly that, though kangaroos are said to be more likely to total a small car and hop away. An old friend of mine actually got knocked out briefly and escaped his car just as it freaking caught fire after hitting a kangaroo, and I never found out what happened to the roo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much exactly that, though kangaroos are said to be more likely to total a small car and hop away. An old friend of mine actually got knocked out briefly and escaped his car just as it freaking caught fire after hitting a kangaroo, and I never found out what happened to the roo.

Fun story: I was driving a rental car in Oklahoma almost exactly a year ago and hit a deer going about 45 mph. It did about $10k in damage to the car, and even though my insurance covered most of it the initial charges went onto the credit card I rented the car on. To this day I can look at the plot of my credit score over time and say "yep, that's where my credit rating hit a deer".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:laffo:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
_________/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Absolutely, and fitting given sharks are also Australian wildlife. Albiet a lot of that is because people tend to be well-informed on dangerous wildlife, though also because most of it is found in rural areas and Australia's population is both incredibly sparse and super centralised, so most of the places you find the deadly wildlife have very few people.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yep, pretty much exactly that!

https://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice/australias-killer-creatures-the-truth-about-deaths/

These are actually higher numbers than I'd seen before - there's another article that goes deeper into the past but probably missed a few because they came up with a lower annual rate (maybe left out sharks?) Anyway, the long and short of it is that most of that really deadly stuff minds its own business.

e: oh here's another one

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/what-are-the-odds-of-being-killed-by-an-animal-in-australia-infographic/

Neat! I've learned something today and it's not even 9 AM!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Only the dead have seen the end of hog war. God bless the canadians and mexicans for their valiant efforts.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Inescapable Duck posted:

I never found out what happened to the roo.
You don't find the roo, the roo finds you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oy6yosRhZf1vtts30.mp4
https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p19kjpHrZe1vnq1cr_480.mp4

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Was waiting for it to fall when he put the brick back on top.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

Also lemme just say, having done marine fieldwork in both Australia and Okinawa I'm far more skeeved out by Okinawa. It's mostly the same nasty fauna, but in Okinawa the nasty stuff is super thick on the ground (or in the water), while in Australia it's at least occasionally interspersed with something non-horrible.

What's with Okinawa then? Pufferfish?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Karate Bastard posted:

What's with Okinawa then? Pufferfish?

American soldiers

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Baronjutter posted:

American soldiers

A famously invasive species.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

There's a lot of stuff that can kill you here, but Australians learn at an early age to leave that stuff the gently caress alone and that's all it really takes to make them not kill you.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poo poo being dead owns i guess, where do i sign up

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a lot of stuff that can kill you here, but Australians learn at an early age to leave that stuff the gently caress alone and that's all it really takes to make them not kill you.

Yeah we take education about wildlife pretty seriously. There's an episode of Peppa Pig where she makes friends with a spider that was withdrawn from broadcast here, because making friends with a spider in the UK is a very different proposition to making friends with a spider in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Zipperelli. posted:

jfc.

I want to shake this woman. How can you be a PhD and still not realize you don't need loving CPR if your heart is still beating?

Hold up I don't know anything about medicine or first aid but do you not do cpr if the person's stopped breathing, even if there's a pulse?