Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Things that can go wrong in Aurum Vale:
  • The first room is absolute hell, both because the indicators for what is and isn't death piss aren't very clear and because it's filled to the gills with trash that can randomly aggro and toss you around everywhere into more patrols, causing a cascade failure of unintended pulls and piss death.
  • The first boss can end up getting really hairy, especially as a healer, since people tend to spread out to get close to the fruits which makes AoE healing difficult at best. The fact that some people will also randomly eat your fruit at 1 stack and leave you trying to heal through a 4 stack debuff sucks.
  • There's a constant debate over letting the Seeds sprout or killing them off immediately.
  • There's Morbols everywhere with Bad Breath that introduces you to a world of poo poo if you ever get hit.
  • Coincounter absolutely loves to gently caress up people who aren't paying attention, which is highly likely at the level you're running Aurum Vale.
  • The gigantic patrol room with all of the scorpions, much like the first room, is great at loving people up with cascade failures of patrols into more patrols.
It's not really hard, per say. It just has a lot of elements that, in inexperienced hands, can lead to incredibly frustrating scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's also ugly as gently caress. And manages to somehow reuse a boss even though there's only three so it shouldn't actually be that hard to not do that. And it comes at the worst time cockblocking you from that precious level 50 that will open up a bunch of new possibilities/capstone skill/equipment/job trainers/areas/roulettes/etc. And it comes at an even worst-er(!) time by following another garbage dungeon (Darkhold) leaving you wishing you had just bought a quaff book instead of playing through the 40's. And if you're level synced that all that still applies because it kicks you in the dick down to just before you get cool toys.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 21, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AV sucks because it's the first dungeon where a bad tank/bad healer can really gently caress up the run, largely due to the first room (where it's super easy to mispull for inexperienced tanks.) and Coincounter (Who is the first do-or-die example of paying attention to cast names instead of AoE indicators.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hate AV because best case it's unbelievably boring as gently caress even with a good group without being face rollingly easy so you can't zone out and jerk off with your free hand or something.

Worst case, you get a brain dead healer or tank and it takes an hour to clear, while still being incredibly boring.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
AV was the only dungeon where I had to change garuda-egi to ifrit-egi (that was before SB), because I would aggro a whole room and we would wipe, it was dumb by design.

Edit: those are 1.0 ports? NOW I UNDERSTAND.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 21, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's no coincidence that the three leveling dungeons almost universally agreed to suck rear end (Aurum Vale, Dzemael Darkhold, and Thousand Maws) were all 1.0 ports. They're great windows into seeing why they had to rebuild the game from the ground up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wow I didn't realize they were ports. Kind of explains how they can be ball busters if you have a poo poo group.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finally jumping back into MCH after months, is Rook Overdrive still bad or did they actually try to improve what is basically the Tornado Kick of MCH.

I’m no top tier math raider, but I did some math presuming the turret auto attacks every 3 seconds, and the potencies of having your turret up 30s and blowing it up are equal.

Which means it’s a dps gain if there’s any downtime for any reason, presuming you’re on the ball about getting the turret back the second it’s available. I use the aoe a bunch in dungeons, since downtime includes moving from pack to pack.

Don’t do it if you’re using the vuln skill, obviously.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Hot take: if you take a group of friends (make some if you don't have them) and don't suck (this one's on you) the only one of those dungeons that's even remotely annoying is toto-rak, and that's only because it's so bloody long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

M.c.P posted:

I’m no top tier math raider, but I did some math presuming the turret auto attacks every 3 seconds, and the potencies of having your turret up 30s and blowing it up are equal.

Which means it’s a dps gain if there’s any downtime for any reason, presuming you’re on the ball about getting the turret back the second it’s available. I use the aoe a bunch in dungeons, since downtime includes moving from pack to pack.

Don’t do it if you’re using the vuln skill, obviously.

Wouldn't it also be a DPS gain under Wildfire too in that case, since Wildfire doesn't last 30s?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It’s funny how times change. Darkhold was universally THE dungeon to run for leveling back in 2.X because it was super fast and easy

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're not straight ports of the 1.0 dungeons, but a refurbished subsection of them. The 1.0 dungeons were even stupider.

Tam Tara and Cutter's Cry were 1.0 as well, and reused with the same philosophy, but they might not have been implemented.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Toto and Vale both suck hard, but I don't have any problem with Dzamael. The only room that's particularly bothersome to me is the one where some DPS inevitably falls off and pulls a bunch of enemies and wipes the party. Plus the awful frog enemies that I always hate to see. Stone Vigil is the one that is super long, has a death room like the Vale, and has a weird sync.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's in 4.2. Adding wards to all 4 housing areas and then adding additional ones as and when required with some unspecified caveats iirc.

Currently, maybe 3 or so million for the land, 500k iirc for the house and maybe 3 million to decorate.

In 4.2, impossible to say. They're changing the way the purchasing of lots is going to work. It's currently first come first served, so moving away from that would mean bidding, you'd have to assume. That could mean that the cost of buying even a small could sky rocket thanks to bidding wars.

Why in the world would they go from a horrible housing system they've gotten mad poo poo for, to loving auctions? I thought they wanted the houses to be available to more than 1%

E: AV has really good music, makes it worth it to me.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was solo tanking that all the time. Seemed like the right time for holmgang.

me (big brain): rampart will take care of this!!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
[quote="“ImpAtom”" post="“479551510”"]
Wouldn’t it also be a DPS gain under Wildfire too in that case, since Wildfire doesn’t last 30s?
[/quote]

I... don’t know. Turret damage doesn’t count in wildfire, but I don’t know what overdrive counts as.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You want to use it when the vulnerability debuff is like between 1 and 6 seconds left because that means it fired its last hypercharge round anyways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kashuno posted:

It's funny how times change. Darkhold was universally THE dungeon to run for leveling back in 2.X because it was super fast and easy

I think they ended up nerfing mass EXP gains or something like that near the tail end of 2.X which largely killed off first area Darkhold clears. It's still pretty fast to go through if you have good AoE classes, but boy did it feel like poo poo going through that place on a 2.X Paladin where there's 15 enemies and the only thing I can do is hit loving Flash over and over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AV being a boring ugly mess is the right answer to why it sucks hard.
It's nothing to do with difficult pulls, bosses or whatever, that's just the cherry on top when you get double unlucky of getting AV and bads.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SonicRulez posted:

Toto and Vale both suck hard, but I don't have any problem with Dzamael. The only room that's particularly bothersome to me is the one where some DPS inevitably falls off and pulls a bunch of enemies and wipes the party. Plus the awful frog enemies that I always hate to see. Stone Vigil is the one that is super long, has a death room like the Vale, and has a weird sync.

Stone Vigil is the dungeon I hate to see more than any of the others because it's long and it hits like a goddamn truck for its level range. On a similar note Bardam's Mettle also just loving hurts like hell (but it's short and I actually love that dungeon so it's fine).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just saw the cutscene with all three four leaders trying to decide what to do about Gaius's ultimatum, and I would now die for Nanamo Ul Namo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't mind Stone Vigil. Which is good, because I had to grind the poo poo out of it to get all of my classes to 50. :shepicide:

TFRazorsaw posted:

I would now die for Nanamo Ul Namo.

Good taste.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just saw the cutscene with all three four leaders trying to decide what to do about Gaius's ultimatum, and I would now die for Nanamo Ul Namo.

/Flame Salute

She is a good leader.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This person hasn't been asked to change their name?

The minion is just :discourse:

to be fair it can go either way. As long as the person isn't referring to their name sexually in chat I presume they are fine. Reminds me of a warlock who's name was slavemaster back in vanilla or something with the word slave in it. Well one day he had to name change and then he got upset and explained that he was named that because he enslaved demons. The gm's then proceeded to tell him they made him change his name because he was being racist in trade when referring to his name. Or at least that is how I remember that story from a long time ago.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ban all lore unfriendly names.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Creampie Warehouse seems more of a Roe style name anyways.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

hellguards could still get away with a lot of borderline nws names.

this is why helguards are the best race

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

:colbert:

If y’all really want “Ernest Namingway” to end up as Guileless Griffin or whatever. (I don’t remember which Roe I picked, it’s either that or Inglyshwystfh)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Creampie Warehouse" is one of those names where, yeah, there could be an innocent explanation for it...but we all know that it's not the reason the name was chosen.

It reminds me of a now gone site called Why Was I Banned, which compiled some of the best stuff where people got banned from XBox Live. One of my favorites was a guy saying "why did I have to change my description of Spread Them Cheeks, I mean it as in 'smile, it's just a game'," to which the response was "nobody believes that, and even if they did, the fact that you have 47 previous strikes for referencing sodomy helps clear things up."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

Things that can go wrong in Aurum Vale:
  • The first room is absolute hell, both because the indicators for what is and isn't death piss aren't very clear and because it's filled to the gills with trash that can randomly aggro and toss you around everywhere into more patrols, causing a cascade failure of unintended pulls and piss death.
  • The first boss can end up getting really hairy, especially as a healer, since people tend to spread out to get close to the fruits which makes AoE healing difficult at best. The fact that some people will also randomly eat your fruit at 1 stack and leave you trying to heal through a 4 stack debuff sucks.
  • There's a constant debate over letting the Seeds sprout or killing them off immediately.
  • There's Morbols everywhere with Bad Breath that introduces you to a world of poo poo if you ever get hit.
  • Coincounter absolutely loves to gently caress up people who aren't paying attention, which is highly likely at the level you're running Aurum Vale.
  • The gigantic patrol room with all of the scorpions, much like the first room, is great at loving people up with cascade failures of patrols into more patrols.
It's not really hard, per say. It just has a lot of elements that, in inexperienced hands, can lead to incredibly frustrating scenarios.

The other thing being that everyone kind of has to be on the ball in it. Tanks needs to know how to pull the first room, DPS need to know how to follow so they don't aggro more things, healer needs to be able to heal (and know when to let idiots die) the damage, everyone needs to know how to handle fruit etc. etc.

It's one of the biggest if not the most Team Effort dungeons in the entire game.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

/Flame Salute

She is a good leader.

Nanamo is okay but not best leader. Merlwyb is :geno: personified, shoots assholes in the face, and is a pirate which makes her way cooler than a queen or someone that a water nymph chose to be ruler.

Also her guard wouldn't let me stop by to say hi so I only have this old-rear end screenshot. Jerk.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

:colbert:

If y’all really want “Ernest Namingway” to end up as Guileless Griffin or whatever. (I don’t remember which Roe I picked, it’s either that or Inglyshwystfh)

As someone with a lore-friendly name, :yossame: delete lore-unfriendly names and also ban dishonest White Mages thanks in advance Yoshida.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Limsa is so poorly ran that a man, a catlady, and a potato are a more effective police force than the yellowjackets.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man that stealth section in the level 40 NIN quest suuuuucked, glad I was able to just sprint through it on my fifth failed attempt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Limsa is so poorly ran that a man, a catlady, and a potato are a more effective police force than the yellowjackets.

It’s a pirate city. Its definition of ‘effective police force’ is... unconventional.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Man that stealth section in the level 40 NIN quest suuuuucked, glad I was able to just sprint through it on my fifth failed attempt.

That quest was weird. The first time I failed to get past the first group of people because they kept outhealing my damage for some reason.

The second time, I did it without any hiccup whatsoever. :psyduck:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Arist posted:

You know, people criticize quests for not rising above the "go here and kill things" framework but I have to say, I get very annoyed at quests that actually attempt to.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

A. Beaverhausen posted:

/Flame Salute

She is a good leader.

She's a poo poo leader (at least at the beginning) but a good person; that's sort of the point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Nanamo is okay but not best leader. Merlwyb is :geno: personified, shoots assholes in the face, and is a pirate which makes her way cooler than a queen or someone that a water nymph chose to be ruler.

Also her guard wouldn't let me stop by to say hi so I only have this old-rear end screenshot. Jerk.

As someone with a lore-friendly name, :yossame: delete lore-unfriendly names and also ban dishonest White Mages thanks in advance Yoshida.

She's the best for her role in the level 50 armorer quest if nothing else.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The fact you can't say "I'm the warrior of light, I've visited Merlwyb like 50 times before, you blind idiot" to him is a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SettingSun posted:

You know, people criticize quests for not rising above the "go here and kill things" framework but I have to say, I get very annoyed at quests that actually attempt to.

It was really cool having a quest that taught you how to/made you use Sleep considering how...not useful it is now.