Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I love that Sirtis just slowly gave up on her Troi accent over the years, and by the time First Contact rolled around, she was basically doing her own North London accent.

Lots of planets have a North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I was rewatching All Good Things last night, and not gonna lie, I was kinda sad that Marina Sirtis didn't do her Season 1 accent for all the scenes in past.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
An alien accent is a cool idea so I wish they'd done it better

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

An alien accent is a cool idea so I wish they'd done it better

You can always try Babylon 5, where in the pilot Mira Furlan's voice, with her heavy Croatian accent, is modulated so that she sounds masculine.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

You can always try Babylon 5, where in the pilot Mira Furlan's voice, with her heavy Croatian accent, is modulated so that she sounds masculine.

I think he'd have to try and track down an older copy as I'm pretty sure they ditched the modulation when they re-released the pilot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Timby posted:

Her face was modulated as well. They were going for an androgynous thing for that race at first which was refreshing in that they decided the Minbari androgyny would look masculine instead of the usual feminine-look most everything else does.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

WilliamAnderson posted:

I made it through all of DS9 this year, but I only work part time in the evenings, so I can watch a lot of TV when dedicated to it.

It's real good, wish I had watched it while growing up. Instead I watched a lot of Voyager like an idiot.

I'm currently in season 5, first time viewing. It is drat good...there are some really hard hitting episodes, and all the characters are well established and consistent. Except Jake...he doesn't really feel like a character, but having him around for Sisko to interact with adds so, so much to Sisko's character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watch one episode of DS9 a week, which practicaly anyone would have time for

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I already posted this in the fanart thread, but I thought I should share this cursed image with you guys.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I already posted this in the fanart thread, but I thought I should share this cursed image with you guys.

This vs. a Borg Cube please.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Huh, so, to anyone who was interested in that Star Trek Bridge Crew VR game that came out a while back, its now 50% off on the steam sale, plus it just added support to also play it on a monitor, without VR (but with people also playing in vr of course). They also promised theres some new additions and content coming to it that they'll announce later.

It was really a next level star trek experience in VR, especially with friends or a good group who love star trek ("helm, set course 95 mark 0" "aye captain, setting course") and can get into the nerdery of it, but I don't know how much it loses playing it on a monitor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh, so, to anyone who was interested in that Star Trek Bridge Crew VR game that came out a while back, its now 50% off on the steam sale, plus it just added support to also play it on a monitor, without VR (but with people also playing in vr of course). They also promised theres some new additions and content coming to it that they'll announce later.

It was really a next level star trek experience in VR, especially with friends or a good group who love star trek ("helm, set course 95 mark 0" "aye captain, setting course") and can get into the nerdery of it, but I don't know how much it loses playing it on a monitor.

It's going to be rad when all this VR stuff actually gets more widespread and accessible and there's more games that are beyond a tech-demo available. I tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was really cool, it was like being on the loving holodeck just walking around and picking stuff up. I begged to play bridge commander with the 4 of us at this VR cafe place but we only had an hour and no one else was nerdy enough :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Does it come with a game though?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Arglebargle III posted:

Does it come with a game though?

I mean, it has 6 story missions (that probably take 45 min or so each if you can beat them the first time through), and randomized missions with either the JJ bridge, or the TOS bridge. I've easily gotten my money worth out of it as far as hours I've spent, and I still find it fun to play if a group of friends wants to jump in. The real fun of it is the social interactions, especially when poo poo hits the fan, so I always have fun because that part, and who's captain and what are their orders and stuff is always different.

Its not a huge amount of content though (I'll be curious to see what they're adding once they announce it), and if you wanted to play single player theres probably very little to excite you about it. At 50% off though? I think so but thats just me.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I know they used actual models for TOS Spaceship signs, I’ve seen them. Did they use models for TNG too or are these really good 90s CGI?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Windows 98 posted:

I know they used actual models for TOS Spaceship signs, I’ve seen them. Did they use models for TNG too or are these really good 90s CGI?

Models were used primarily until DS9's sixth season episode "The Sacrifice of Angles", after which CGI became much more common.

Voyager had a physical model as well, but was supplanted by a CGI model in later seasons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Windows 98 posted:

TNG used physical models almost all the time. There might be one or two CG bits but I’m pretty sure that in the show, the Enterprise itself is always one of three physical models. Babylon 5 came out in the early 90s and demonstrated that CG spaceships were feasible for a tv show, if kind of ugly especially at first. So Voyager started to introduce CG models early, DS9 did so as well (though it was about midway through its run) and by the end of DS9 and about halfway through Voyager it was all CG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only Trek show, pre-Discovery anyway, that was full CGI was Enterprise.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

From what I've heard, they were considering CGI when they were starting up TNG, but the technology was still in its infancy and they ultimately decided it was still inadequate for what they needed. They used it from time to time ("Galaxy's Child" comes to mind), but even then you can see it was pretty rough-looking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What blows my mind is that Orville's smooth CG-looking ship is actually a physical model.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baronjutter posted:

What blows my mind is that Orville's smooth CG-looking ship is actually a physical model.

They use CGI in the bits where the ship is doing tricky maneuvers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
On the movie side of things, First Contact used a model for the E with CG for tricky shots or background ships, Insurrection was the first to go all CG, and Nemesis used a model for the crash sequence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

I wasn’t crazy about that design when I first saw it but it’s grown on me. I just wish the other human ships on the show weren’t just scaled-up or scaled-down versions of the same design.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Orville just reminds me of a kind of shittier knock off of the Galaxy Quest NSEA-Protector.

Which to me always looked like one of those 90s plastic juice twist off bottle tops. But like, in a good way.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wasn’t crazy about that design when I first saw it but it’s grown on me. I just wish the other human ships on the show weren’t just scaled-up or scaled-down versions of the same design.

It kinda makes sense in the Orville universe. Mercer only becomes captain because they are pumping out ships and desperately need crews to man them, so I assume they mass produce them by having a standard design that they base everything on.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Crusher stuck in a warp field reality episode was pretty darn good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

jeeves posted:

Orville just reminds me of a kind of shittier knock off of the Galaxy Quest NSEA-Protector.

Which to me always looked like one of those 90s plastic juice twist off bottle tops. But like, in a good way.

I have drawings from childhood that is no-poo poo a spaceship modeled off of Squeezit fighting pitched battles with ships based off of Mondo tops.

Like, pages upon pages of this poo poo. Complete with color-coded laser bursts for the different factions.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Mark down Worf for child #2

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Haha now mark Riker down for a kid too

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's part of the retro-TNG feel, like how the Klingon Bird of Prey apparently comes in, like, five different sizes ranging from tiny scoutship to full sized cruiser that all look identical.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Orville kinda reminds me the the Planet Express ship.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

Haha now mark Riker down for a kid too

Nevermind

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I think I convinced a coworker to watch Star Trek. At least the movies, maybe the by shows cause of their innovation on modern life but you all know that already.

Conversation started with her saying she likes Star Wars and me saying I don't, and me showing cool proof about what ST has done for real life.

Overall, was good. (Just so y'all know I never fight about ST vs SW I was very nice about it).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

So do Vulcans feel emotion but do not display it? Or do they not feel it at all? Picard tells the Vulcan ambassador’s wife that the ambassador loves her very much. He knows this because he took all of his Bendii Syndrome emotions for some peace conference. So that would imply that Vulcans do have emotions, right?
We can only assume Vulcans are doing something ridiculously in-, or rather, anti-effective to themselves, cause the seemingly mostly identical Romulans are basically just mildly sociopathic, whereas Vulcans have to engage in insane self castigation to keep in check their intense emotions, and it doesn't work particularly well: it mainly reflects in OCD about not rounding numbers, and occasional fits of rage.

:colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I have drawings from childhood that is no-poo poo a spaceship modeled off of Squeezit fighting pitched battles with ships based off of Mondo tops.

Like, pages upon pages of this poo poo. Complete with color-coded laser bursts for the different factions.

Well scan em in. Don't be a tease.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rather than watch DS9 or TNG yet again I keep feeling like I should watch at least the ending of Voyager since I never saw it. After seeing random episodes here and there on tv I tried to watch the whole thing on Netflix but gave up about three episodes in.

So do I just need to watch the last episode, or is there a buildup to it?

Or are there any actually good episodes of Voyager? Yes, I’ve seen the one where Paris and Janeway turn into lizards and gently caress.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Voyager's ending blows because there is no buildup like DS9 and is no where clever enough to wrap up the series like TNG. It just kind of... ends.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Evek posted:

Voyager's ending blows because there is no buildup like DS9 and is no where clever enough to wrap up the series like TNG. It just kind of... ends.

That pretty poor. I heard that Barclay appears in later episodes so I assumed he was part of a getting home storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Well scan em in. Don't be a tease.

That's a hell of a pointless project but, hey, I'm visiting mom for the holidays anyhow...