Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The worst part of stories like that is that it's obvious they've never stopped for 5 seconds and thought about how much pain they're putting their pet through. Losing a pet sucks, but I can't imagine wanting to see one suffer for months instead of putting them down so they can die peacefully.

Even if money was no object, there comes a point where you have to let the pet go for its own sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I watched a video on YouTube that worked out it costs an average of something like 20k a minute for the president to travel anywhere

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm waiting for the day when a President's travel expense winds up being so big it becomes an Omnibus item that lawmakers threaten to shut down the government over.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Let's see, we can raise money to try to extend a dog's life for maybe 6 months, or we can feed and house like four homeless people for a year. Money well spent I say.

The poor will always be with you, but Sparky shall be among you only a short while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

I'm waiting for the day when a President's travel expense winds up being so big it becomes an Omnibus item that lawmakers threaten to shut down the government over.

Well, what is that $100k travel budget actually used for? Surely not matters of state, since a standard 747 costs something like $25k/hr to operate. Not getting very far on Air Force One on that budget (if it even gets him to the airport).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Motronic posted:

Well, what is that $100k travel budget actually used for? Surely not matters of state, since a standard 747 costs something like $25k/hr to operate. Not getting very far on Air Force One on that budget (if it even gets him to the airport).

For this President? In-flight McDonalds?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
They need extra fuel to carry all the diet Cokes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

They need extra fuel to carry all the diet cokes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

AIUI it’s basically not used at all.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

People with real jobs generally don't post when they fill up their car with gas like it's a big achievement...

Trees are the new pyramids

also: COOCHY

(how does shaving cream double as a hair conditioner?)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

What, you mean you don't slather your hair with shaving cream to keep it nice and silky? :confused:

Youth Decay posted:

People with real jobs generally don't post when they fill up their car with gas like it's a big achievement...

"Even though it isn't pay day", said as if managing to not spend yourself to $0 before each paycheck is impossible under normal circumstances.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can’t wait to spread coochy all over my face. Artefacted, pixelated coochy.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

Coochy for men is also available

heh

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If you buy one, why tf would you want another one?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Youth Decay posted:

also: COOCHY

What, you put shaving cream where you DON'T have hair?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Youth Decay posted:

Trees are the new pyramids

$200 weekly? That's like a $5/hour job! Where do I sign up?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

"Even though it isn't pay day", said as if managing to not spend yourself to $0 before each paycheck is impossible under normal circumstances.

Please no.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Youth Decay posted:

COOCHY

"The More You Use, The Less You'll Shave"

Yeah I apply 4 whole bottles on my coochie every morning, but I only shave once a week because its always so red and inflamed!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Youth Decay posted:

I'm not endorsing this dumb product, but the marketing all makes sense; it's just not for you. It's for shaving your cooch. It's easy to irritate your lady junk by shaving, but regular shaving foam can cause yeast infections and irritation. It's advertising itself as something moisturising but which won't gently caress with the pH of lady lips like most regular washing products, so you can use lots of it to get a closer shave and thus not have to shave as much.

"Won't make your vag itchy" isn't good marketing though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Bad With Money: It's not a pyramid thing, it's a tree thing

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

evobatman posted:

Bad With Money: It's not a pyramid thing, it's a tree thing

Bad With Money: Won't make your vag itchy" isn't good marketing though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

$200 weekly? That's like a $5/hour job! Where do I sign up?

Yes the pay is low but you get to alienate every person you know with your constant sales pitches.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I'm honestly curious and would love if posters outside the US could chime in:

Most everyone in the US has one or more social connections to MLM rubes, which means that it's pretty pervasive in our society. Are you likewise afflicted, or do people outside the US generally have a better sense of dividing social and economic activity?

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Most everyone in the US has one or more social connections to MLM rubes, which means that it's pretty pervasive in our society. Are you likewise afflicted, or do people outside the US generally have a better sense of dividing social and economic activity?

I can't comment on the relative prominence of it, but MLMs are certainly present in Australia. My mum was huge into Nutrimetics in the 90s; and I've had multiple colleagues pitch me, one pitch was actually just a pyramid scheme.

I also remember my parents joking derisively about Amway, but then getting into Nutrimetics (and timeshares), so :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

From what I've heard, after the US market got saturated Avon and Amway and the like set their eyes on Asia, particularly, China, where they've been extremely prolific

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't have any friends or coworkers or general acquaintances involved in MLM stuff, or at least none that I know of. I'm sure there probably is MLM activity here, just not as in your face or pervasive as in the US :shrug:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Bad With Money: I thought it was, but we both are incorrect

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

My man, have you ever filled your tank up at Costco?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI, home of Amway, and despite being taken out to their HQ for a class trip one time (yeah, they tried to pitch cleaning products to 10th graders, I still have no idea what my Chemistry teacher was thinking), I've never had anyone try to sell Amway or any other MLM to me. I don't think it's as pervasive in real life as Facebook makes it appear to be.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

disjoe posted:

My man, have you ever filled your tank up at Costco?

God bless the people that spend 15-20 minutes idling their cars to save $3

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Singapore? Nope. Scams, however are exceedingly prevalent. Almost every day some guy loses 5 digits of money to some lame cop impersonation scam.

BTW it's frankly shocking how you Americans get the short end of the tax and healthcare stick compared to us. People who earn $40K/year here easily pays effectively a <1% income tax rate, and a ~$450/year health insurance plan (for 30-39 year age bracket) is a zero deductible, all expenses paid at any hospital of your choosing (with some minor caveats, of course).

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have seriously never understood why people do this to themselves

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

Explain. Are there long lines or something?

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

Hoodwinker posted:

Explain. Are there long lines or something?

Club savings on gas prices means lower pricing, and thus extremely long lines, moreso in the summer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I live near the border between 2 states, and the state to the south has much cheaper taxes on gasoline. I've known people who will drive their gas guzzler 40 miles round trip to save $.25/gal. Assuming they are getting 15 mpg and they are filling up 25 gallons, they were actually wasting an hour+ driving back and forth to basically come out even.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sirotan posted:

I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI, home of Amway, and despite being taken out to their HQ for a class trip one time (yeah, they tried to pitch cleaning products to 10th graders, I still have no idea what my Chemistry teacher was thinking), I've never had anyone try to sell Amway or any other MLM to me. I don't think it's as pervasive in real life as Facebook makes it appear to be.

I used to live in Michigan and we were friends with a couple who were big into Monavie welp that's my story.

That stuff does exist in the UK but I don't think it quite fits our culture as well. Pushing things on strangers is kinda uncomfortable for a lot of people for one thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

That stuff does exist in the UK but I don't think it quite fits our culture as well. Pushing things on strangers is kinda uncomfortable for a lot of people for one thing.

A remarkable contrast from the UK's conduct through much of the last several hundred years!:v:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Huh, I go to the Costco near me before work and never have that problem.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Isn't Herbalife a huge soccer sponsor worldwide? I assume they wouldn't do that if they weren't raking in money in those countries.

My dad bought a starter package of herbalife a few years ago. :saddowns:

disjoe posted:

Huh, I go to the Costco near me before work and never have that problem.

The ones around here are complete shitshows. Easily 50 cars lined up gridlocked for 10 pumps. At least the people in a Prius aren't idling most of the time, but then they're spending the same half hour to save $1 on gas because the tank is so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Go Fund Me: I need to "rescue" this puppy from the pet store by buying it for $1,700. Other people should give me the money!
https://www.gofundme.com/save-the-golden-retriever-puppy
There is a somewhat happy ending. By the time she has the money, someone else has bought the puppy, so she gives the money to the SPCA instead.

Go Fund Me: I want to start my own semi-self sustaining pet store. Give me $5000.
https://www.gofundme.com/starting-my-own-pet-store
I'm not sure if "semi-self sustaining" means that she is going to breed the animals she sells, or if she knows she will be broke again in no time.