Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know about AMD but NVidia's bread and butter these days is high performance computing, as in datacenters full of Tesla cards. This cryptocurrency mining poo poo is barely even a blip.

You can buy a 2U system that costs $100k and is basically just graphics cards, and datacenters are being built that are just full of these kinds of systems.

Everyone talks about datacenter as if it's the best thing since sliced bread, because it's a growth market and the margins are fantastic, but NVIDIA's bread and butter is absolutely the consumer graphics market by a country mile. That's where they make the vast majority of their revenue and it's still growing at a pretty decent clip all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Nicehash seems to be back to working fine. Just note that they nuked all the old wallet addresses, so you need to log into your account to make a new one (there's a big button for it right under your 0.0000 BTC balance)--something they did not mention in any of their announcements.

According to their earnings algo, they're paying about $5.50/d where Winminer was paying me about $4.60/d. Though Winminer has stolen roughly $300 less from me than Nicehash has (theoretical future repayment from mystery "investors" who would be dumb enough to sink $60+M into them), so there's that.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 21, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Well Nicehash seems to finally be working.

There is zero message or indication of any sort of repayment plan. Their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge that anything happened at all :lol:

I told myself, well gently caress them right? But might as well see how close it is to Winminer.

Its telling me over $10.50 a day on my 1080ti.

shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

There is zero message or indication of any sort of repayment plan. Their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge that anything happened at all :lol:

If you read through all like 6 pages of announcements, they note that they have "investors" or something who are planning on fronting the money to pay people back (assuming you had more than 0.0001 BTC, which is <$2). But they won't go into details about how or who or when until it's "all signed" sometime in January. Don't get me wrong, I'd love my ~$300 back, but I'm not counting on anyone being silly enough to knowingly dump $60M into them to pay people back. Maybe if they'd had insurance and were working with them to get restitution, sure, but this sounds a bit questionable.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

Nicehash seems to be back to working fine. Just note that they nuked all the old wallet addresses, so you need to log into your account to make a new one (there's a big button for it right under your 0.0000 BTC balance)--something they did not mention in any of their announcements.

1gnoirents posted:

Well Nicehash seems to finally be working.

Did you guys just overlook this post?

Nitrousoxide posted:

NiceHash is back up and saying that they will pay everyone back who's wallet loss is above 0.0001 BTC.

https://www.nicehash.com/attack-learn-more

Nicehash posted:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are using NiceHash Miner, please update your wallet address immediately. All NiceHash wallet addresses have been reset.

Nicehash posted:

We have now been able to reserve the funds required to restore balances from a group of international investors in our business. The exact date of reimbursement for old balances will be announced by January 31, 2018. We need this interim period to ensure all legal paperwork is processed correctly, so please be patient while we do this.

Please also note that balances lower than 0.0001 BTC will be written off; apologies for any inconvenience.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DrDork posted:

If you read through all like 6 pages of announcements, they note that they have "investors" or something who are planning on fronting the money to pay people back (assuming you had more than 0.0001 BTC, which is <$2). But they won't go into details about how or who or when until it's "all signed" sometime in January. Don't get me wrong, I'd love my ~$300 back, but I'm not counting on anyone being silly enough to knowingly dump $60M into them to pay people back. Maybe if they'd had insurance and were working with them to get restitution, sure, but this sounds a bit questionable.

Yeah I had almost two payouts and im not expecting it back period. The website is ballsy, in my opinion.

But on two cards im getting $23.50 a day, so it says. If thats true ill make one payout by next Friday (assuming thats the same), and ill probably be half as mad. If it works for two weeks I wont even remember probably!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds great but i cant even get past "starting excavator"

Legacy worked immediately though. Whoo baby gimme dat $10 a day on a 1080ti at least until they get "hacked" again conveniently right before the repayment deadline

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Nicehash 'investors' is the biggest load of horseshit ever, they are trying to fund the payouts through regular fees. Not only that but they are relying on miners to ignore smaller amounts of losses to be directed to the those with larger losses.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did you guys just overlook this post?

I did, and yours too apparently.

Weirdly enough I didnt have to update or re-enter my wallet info anywhere. All the history is gone off it but thats the only difference I see.

edit: And the daily rate estimates are already down 20% for me. I knew it would happen, but if it gets too close to winminer thatll be an easy choice

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 21, 2017

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, well you see there are these international investors and surely this can't happen again and mining is paying my bills and heating my house, you see

In other news I'm officially reopening MTGOX with venture capital from Texas oilmen and other captains of industry. Feel free to store your internet money in our new Quantum Secure™ Maui vacation fund Digital Wallets.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I changed my mind, you guys should totally use nicehash to fund my balance owing

quote:

UPDATE: You can check external wallet balance though the API here: https://api.nicehash.com/api?method=stats.provider.ex&addr=WALLETADDRESS

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nicehash 'investors' is the biggest load of horseshit ever, they are trying to fund the payouts through regular fees. Not only that but they are relying on miners to ignore smaller amounts of losses to be directed to the those with larger losses.

While I don't disagree that the whole thing sounds pretty fishy, the lower limit for repayment of 0.0001BTC works out to about $1.60. If you lost less than $1.60 I feel pretty ok with saying that you're SOL and better luck next time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Based on the link it looks like they still have record of the ~0.004 BTC I'm owed, going to get winminer to a level that lets me cashout and then switch back to nicehash, currently worth a little more than 1$/day. I'll risk it and see what happens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Current difficulties on NiceHash are estimating a daily income of :10bux: CAD on my 1080 Ti.

That ain't gonna last, but damned if I'm not going to let that run while I'm out of town for Christmas.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 21, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
are you guys seriously going back to nicehash

holy poo poo

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

holy poo poo

They have nice right there in their name, they have to be good. Certainly not a botnet that lost everyone's money last week, money stored in a cold wallet*.

*Cold wallets are just wallets where the password is iceicebaby.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Honestly I just like coming home to find the living room's not freezing cold.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

holy poo poo

This is an actual screenshot and an artist's representation of my anger fading away

bought me back plain and simple

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I bet you they are bidding up the price to get people back on their platform

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Lol that was my first thought within seconds after the first estimate. But hey, now that I know a good fallback, its all good. And the rate is this high even though bitcoin is pretty low (relatively), that will make the balance accrue greatly if it springs back to where it was a few days ago. And again its fallen to about $20 a day overnight but thats perfectly fine with me too

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
24usd a day has me back giving it a go cos yolo

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

we are a bunch of pussies

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I once carried a printer for my lady and also went back to NiceHash👍

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
dumped my winminer balance to litecoin and switched back to nicehash, gently caress it we'll do it live

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The scorpion stung you personally and you idiots are giving him another ride across the river!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Gobbeldygook posted:

The scorpion stung you personally and you idiots are giving him another ride across the river!

forget it jake it's bitcointown

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Nicehash is paying 29 vs mining directly 27 for my amd hardware, nvidia hardware ZEC still rules the roost @ $10.

Thank you all for your service to my nicehash balance, namaste

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think there should be a warning added to the OP like "You will get scammed, it's just a matter of when. Cash out to something real as soon as possible to minimize your loss when it does happen and factor losing a week or two into if it's worth it for you" You can still be profitable, but be ready for it to be stolen at any minute until it's in something more tangible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Will do that when I get sat back down at my desk. On mobile right now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is nicehash reporting like 30% more than the other algo switching miners like winminer. Is this just the most obvious double dipping exit scam and everyone is blinded by greed and payout numbers?

My hash rate is the same as on winminer, im running the same algos

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
pretty sure winminer takes a big cut up front. it was always low compared to nicehash and felt like they were skimming a bunch. the upsides were more frequent payouts, more options, and lower fees on withdrawal.

nicehash is giving me about the same global rate as it did before the service went down, btc is just more profitable right now. it was only like 11k or something then.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

how is nicehash reporting like 30% more than the other algo switching miners like winminer. Is this just the most obvious double dipping exit scam and everyone is blinded by greed and payout numbers?

Yes

But there is good reason to believe it can be legitimate too, winminer SUCKED at CPU mining, and Nicehash rocked at it before all this. For example I was getting $1.30 on my i5 last night, where Winminer was doing 0.49 (which was pretty high for winminer too). That and the fact Nicehash definitely paid out higher amounts using the same algorithms apples to apples the day of the hack gives a little more room for discrepancy.

Now as the days go on I fully expect these hash buy orders to level out, and it wouldn't shock me to find out that Nicehash was massaging those numbers to make it look appealing to jump back to for a while, but the fact is even before Nicehash returns were really great compared to others. I wish I had more direct evidence, but in my experiences post-hack I found every other multiminer lacking in some way with the algorithms themselves.

edit: I dont want to sound like too much of a shill, I really do believe Nicehash or at least key people within Nicehash swindled everybody, and I really didn't mind Winminer at all and I bet it works way better now that their usercount probably dropped. Regardless though, Nicehash did put up the numbers and always have

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

See

Risky Bisquick posted:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Eh, I get paid quickly enough that I don’t really give a poo poo who’s fake money goes missing. My 1070 has paid for itself nearly twice over at this point and NiceHash switching to the most profitable coin to mine at any given time makes me more money and saves me effort.

Yeah, it’s a scam. But it makes me money and I sell and run ASAP. I think their hack cost me twenty bucks or so.

My risk is minimal, personally.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Sell your crypto profits regularly (monthly), or at the very least put them in a cold/paper/hardware wallet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I took a peak at this exact moment, and WinMiner is telling me $3.24 a day for my 1080ti, and I stop it and fire up NiceHash and it says 8.69... something's fucky.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I took a peak at this exact moment, and WinMiner is telling me $3.24 a day for my 1080ti, and I stop it and fire up NiceHash and it says 8.69... something's fucky.

That's because Winminer is weird with benchmarking and choosing the correct coin. If you let it run for an hour, it'd be about $6 on Winminer with Zen

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6349582704270548992/

As you are aware, since the recent security breach we at NiceHash have been working round the clock to rebuild our internal systems as well as management structure. I shall now stand aside and allow new management to lead the organization through its next, exciting period of growth – therefore I decided to resign as CEO of NiceHash.

I have been incredibly privileged to share in the excitement of growing NiceHash since its earliest days. I have every confidence in the ability of our extraordinary team to develop the service, and I expect to see the company prosper in the coming years.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues and the wider community for their support, not just in this most recent episode, but since the very beginning of NiceHash. I wish you all the very best for the future - a future which shall see NiceHash continue in its progressive trajectory so that it becomes and remains the mining marketplace of choice for millions of users.

Details about the re-launch of NiceHash and restoring the old balances have just been announced here:

:thunk:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

found the guy with 60 80 million dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you want to mine casually with a 1070, just set your card to 65% TDP, 50% fan, +150core/+500mem in afterburner

Thank you for this recipe. Mining along at a pretty good clip with temperatures staying around 40 and the fan noise isn't a problem since I remember when GPU fans used to run this loud all the time whether you used them or not. (It's also likely to be healthier for the fans than spinning them up and down all the time.)

The only thing that annoys me is I'll be mining at something just over $4/day and then NiceHash will switch to CryptoNight and that drops it nearly a full dollar. Although now I'm suddenly onto something else and made up most of it.

• Locked thread