Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've actually been looking for a barber! But I go to a hipster barber in Reno that's all straight razors and straight bourbon and I'd like to find equivalent.

These guys are that, straight razors and sharp cuts. Dunno about the bourbon, but I'm sure that'd be fine with these dudes. One of my buddy's just started there, I'll have to ask.

Heading to Reno for the holidays in a couple weeks, will be good to be back in old stomping grounds. And to ski my rear end off in Tahoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Critique my meatball recipe!

• 1.2 lb of meatball mix (ground beef, veal, pork mixture)
  • 1 medium or large egg
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 1/2 tbsp of salt

Preheat an oven to 375F. Mix the beef stock into the breadcrumbs until you get a fairly well-mixed panade. Put the meatball mix into a bowl, and add the salt, garlic, egg, and panade. Mix well with your hands until the ingredients are evenly distributed and the meat is warmed somewhat from your body heat. Form into 12~16 meatballs and place on a foil-lined tray. Bake the meatballs for 25~28 minutes, remove, and serve however you like.

It's not meant to be particularly great, it's just a fallback recipe when I don't want to think about making something complicated. That said, I do want to make it tastier. I've head Chinese meatballs like Lion's Heads and they have a soft, tender, springy texture that isn't tough or dry in the middle. I have no idea what I would need to do in order to mimic that texture, but I would love to make meatballs like you get in dim sum places. What can I do to bring my recipe closer to that?

my suggestion would be to focus more on technique than recipe. a recipe isn't going to get you an excellent meatball. getting down and dirty with the whys and hows will though.

in particular, meatballs are made springy by emulsion. you need to emulsify your meat, and add in water and fat, which adds the perception of moisture (and also literal moisture). you can't emulsify a warm mixture as well as you can a cold mixture, so you also have to be careful about the temperature of the water and fat you're adding. you can't just make a "panade" and hope everything works out, you gotta be more deliberate about it I guess. you definitely don't want to "warm your meat with your body heat."

when I'm making my super springy meat to grill, like a turkish style adana kebab or something, I usually add moisture in the form of pureed/liquified onion. like get a mini food processor or something, and literally turn an onion and some garlic into watery pulp. then throw half an icecube in to add some water and chill everything down. then add maybe some fish sauce or salt or whatever is appropriate for what you're making to add either more liquid, or just seasoning. then emulisfy the mixture into the meat. then chill again for half an hour or something, and form into kebabs or patties or meatballs or whatever your final form will be. with the right amount of moisture (maybe 1/4th or 1/3rd cup per lb), your meat will end up springy and juicy af.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

add maybe some fish sauce

Woah, equivocation on fish sauce?! Are you feeling OK?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

Woah, equivocation on fish sauce?! Are you feeling OK?

not everyone has fish sauce or can afford to buy it scientastic - this is part of my new, more-understanding-mindphlux community outreach "human-type 'empathy'" initiative

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

not everyone has fish sauce or can afford to buy it scientastic - this is part of my new, more-understanding-mindphlux community outreach "human-type 'empathy'" initiative

i think you should stick to making pretty crockery. the human type thing seems to have passed you by a long time back.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh it was how to cook 'for' humans...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My neighbor went to Pennsylvania, brought home a bunch of trout and vennison, just smoked all the fish and gave me a big 4lber so I can make fish dip for xmas. Made a test batch just now, effing delicious. Like bacon, trout, and chip dip had a baby.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Pollyanna posted:

Critique my meatball recipe!

• 1.2 lb of meatball mix (ground beef, veal, pork mixture)
  • 1 medium or large egg
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 1/2 tbsp of salt

Preheat an oven to 375F. Mix the beef stock into the breadcrumbs until you get a fairly well-mixed panade. Put the meatball mix into a bowl, and add the salt, garlic, egg, and panade. Mix well with your hands until the ingredients are evenly distributed and the meat is warmed somewhat from your body heat. Form into 12~16 meatballs and place on a foil-lined tray. Bake the meatballs for 25~28 minutes, remove, and serve however you like.

I recently made Serious Eats Italian meatballs and really liked how they came out.

http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2015/01/italian-american-beef-pork-meatballs-red-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

Key things to try:

- mix in half the meat with the Panade to get it really well mixed, then mix the rest in lightly so that it has a good texture

- try their gelatin trick to keep things juicy

- make really big meatballs, broil to brown then finish in the sauce (note: mine took significantly longer to finish cooking than they advised- I used an instant read thermometer to make sure they cooked through.)

I didn't feel like looking for pancetta so just used a couple pieces of bacon that I tossed into the freezer to harden before chopping up. Worked fine.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

That Works posted:

Oh it was how to cook 'for' humans...

Speaking of "How to Serve Man" would it be overly petty of me to cut a 12 pound prime rib roast in two because my father wants it cooked to 140 and I want mine at 125? I respect that he bought a $100 hunk of meat and it's his house and he wants a big, grand meal, but...

Yeah, I think I just answered my own question. Shut up and cook what's on the ticket, Wrought.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Wroughtirony posted:

Speaking of "How to Serve Man" would it be overly petty of me to cut a 12 pound prime rib roast in two because my father wants it cooked to 140 and I want mine at 125? I respect that he bought a $100 hunk of meat and it's his house and he wants a big, grand meal, but...

Yeah, I think I just answered my own question. Shut up and cook what's on the ticket, Wrought.

Just cook it to 132* and let it coast. Letter of the law, not spirit. I mean it's his meat but god drat, don't cook that poo poo well done.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Couldn't you use a real hot oven so that you have a big gradient? End pieces would be well done, middle might be more midrare?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chemmy posted:

Couldn't you use a real hot oven so that you have a big gradient? End pieces would be well done, middle might be more midrare?

That's one hell of a way to get a big grey ring of suck on the entire thing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You're going to lose more weight to shrinkage too. Cooking well done requires lower heat if there's any chance of it being tender.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Update: I'm pulling at 125, resting 9 minutes and then blasting at 500. It took some negotiation, but stopped short of armed conflict.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's always the slap-his-slab-in-a-hot-skillet-for-a-minute technique that will turn the outside as gray as he likes, thus tricking him into thinking it's well done!

(Don't ask me how I know this)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just ate at my favorite ramen and fried chicken place, and for the first time just tried their biscut. IT IS A DEEP FRIED BISCUT. IT IS MY NEW FAVORITE THING.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just ate at my favorite ramen and fried chicken place, and for the first time just tried their biscut. IT IS A DEEP FRIED BISCUT. IT IS MY NEW FAVORITE THING.

there was a place we went to in denver that does a country fried egg. like softboiled then buttermilk battered and fried, still had runny yolk. it owned.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

there was a place we went to in denver that does a country fried egg. like softboiled then buttermilk battered and fried, still had runny yolk. it owned.

That also sounds like it owns!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what happens if you just poach an egg in 375-degree oil

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sassafras?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, I just drooled a little.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

3rd degree burns after the egg explodes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hauki posted:

Sassafras?

YUP! so good!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Elizabethan Error posted:

3rd degree burns after the egg explodes

metal

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

When I was growing up this was called a floater. You fry up a shitload of bacon, save the grease in a dutch oven or whatever, and then top off the grease with some manteca or whatever if it's less than egg-deep. Then you crack an egg into it. The egg will immediately sink, then puff up some and float. You scoop it out. You could drain it, but I usually had them scooped out and immediately dumped into a tortilla with a strip of bacon, some cheese, and other poo poo if it was like a special occasion or something.

If you drain them when they come out of the oil they're surprisingly light. You get the outer white browned and slightly crisp while the inside is still runny. Better than the idea sounds at first blush.

Edit: Apparently this approach is classier than I thought: here's a link to a video of Jacques loving Pépin making eggs this way.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 19, 2017

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Update: I'm pulling at 125, resting 9 minutes and then blasting at 500. It took some negotiation, but stopped short of armed conflict.

My old man managed steak houses for years, and he’s always said one thing they would do if people ordered their prime well done is just submerge it in the au jus until it no longer looked red.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My old man managed steak houses for years, and he’s always said one thing they would do if people ordered their prime well done is just submerge it in the au jus until it no longer looked red.

this is actually pretty brilliant. lol

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Wroughtirony posted:

That's basically what I do to keep the wife happy. I cook it at 200* for however long it takes and then crank it at 500* for about 15 minutes. I'm sure I'd be happier if I had a SV or Searzall but I'm broke so I make do.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

isn’t the slow cook plus a seared finish the nitpicky obsessive molecular gastronomist answer for all beef anyway

SubG posted:

When I was growing up this was called a floater. You fry up a shitload of bacon, save the grease in a dutch oven or whatever, and then top off the grease with some manteca or whatever if it's less than egg-deep. Then you crack an egg into it. The egg will immediately sink, then puff up some and float. You scoop it out. You could drain it, but I usually had them scooped out and immediately dumped into a tortilla with a strip of bacon, some cheese, and other poo poo if it was like a special occasion or something.

If you drain them when they come out of the oil they're surprisingly light. You get the outer white browned and slightly crisp while the inside is still runny. Better than the idea sounds at first blush.

Edit: Apparently this approach is classier than I thought: here's a link to a video of Jacques loving Pépin making eggs this way.

this rules and I’m definitely trying it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

OMGVBFLOL posted:

isn’t the slow cook plus a seared finish the nitpicky obsessive molecular gastronomist answer for all beef anyway

this rules and I’m definitely trying it

ACTUally,
:goonsay:
The most nitpicky obsessive way to make steak is Ducasse's method (as far as I'm aware, at least). It only works with stupid thick cuts (I've done it with a 2'' ribeye and it seemed like it couldn't go much thinner and still work) and it takes 45 minutes, but my lord, maillard. And the flavor you get... unparalleled.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I miss the heady days of multiple people trying that method using half inch steaks and melting down at their butter poached meat.

My old man only makes fried eggs as floaters because he’s from Oklahoma, cooks two pounds of bacon at a time, and then adds a bunch from his gross rear end open fat jar that he swears is a German secret.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

did symmetry just goonsplain duck assing steaks? what have we come to gwiss? Make GWS Great Again

in b4 sandwich argument, hand salads, ONE TRUE CARBONARA, or eat the eggs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

in b4 sandwich argument, hand salads, ONE TRUE CARBONARA, or eat the eggs.

But I like the sandwich argument. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

soup is a sandwich

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

soup is a sandwich

only in a breadbowl

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i made an authentic carbonara handsoup with beans for supper to serve at the bris

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OMGVBFLOL posted:

soup is a sandwich

This is self-evidently false, as soup and a sandwich is the best lunch, and it would be called “sandwich and another sandwich” if it were true

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

bribe a topologist enough and anything can be a sandwich

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Scientastic posted:

This is self-evidently false, as soup and a sandwich is the best lunch, and it would be called “sandwich and another sandwich” if it were true

that is, what its called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hi, yes, I'll have the sandwich^2 special, thanks