Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think tipping is stupid, agree/disagree

I think starting this argument in here is a sign that you need a holiday vacation.

Anybody else who wants to continue that discussion, take it to D&D.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We stay away from the tipping discussion in here my friend.

It's some sacred ground level poo poo.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is D&D still super toxic? I’ll admit I like the idea but trying to explain all these issues to regular people is...daunting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I thought it was an obvious joke considering the tenor of the health insurance percentage discussion but sorry if anyone got riled up.

Happy to do my time!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of shrimp. I had an ex girlfriend flip out over peel and eat shrimp. She couldn't understand the concept of peel and eat shrimp. It was a disaster.

I apologized to the bartender and left a good tip.

That's my shrimp story. :tipshat:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A Man and his dog posted:

Speaking of shrimp. I had an ex girlfriend flip out over peel and eat shrimp. She couldn't understand the concept of peel and eat shrimp. It was a disaster.

I apologized to the bartender and left a good tip.

That's my shrimp story. :tipshat:

Just eat the tail

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Just eat the tail

But enough about my love life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

Is D&D still super toxic? I’ll admit I like the idea but trying to explain all these issues to regular people is...daunting.

It's really not that bad. A tipping thread with a good OP would probably have some interesting discussion, with the caveat that it'll also draw the remaining crazy libertarians and some just world theorists.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

hm, i have absolutely zero patience when it comes to libertarians so maybe i should stay away. oh well.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Anne Whateley posted:

What is the competition for? Does everyone want to eat at 5:30, or does everyone want to sit at the special table? Whatever you can do to do a better job of meeting that demand will go a lot farther toward making everyone happy. And you can still try to make a bunch of seniors go online at midnight or whatever.

Windows and two tops.

Get what you're saying but I can't put more windows in the dining room and if I trade in any more four tops for two tops the tables will be too close together for walkers to pass! Das ist verbotten!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
holy fukkkin lol I'm so excited to enjoy my one day off between now and 2018 (that day is Christmas Day) :rip:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

What is the competition for? Does everyone want to eat at 5:30, or does everyone want to sit at the special table? Whatever you can do to do a better job of meeting that demand will go a lot farther toward making everyone happy. And you can still try to make a bunch of seniors go online at midnight or whatever.

In my place we had two main shifts, the ones who wanted to eat at 5 ON THE DOT, that we could hear muttering behind the door about how late we were, many of whom would be out before 5:30 so they could watch Dan Rather or whatever. Then the second shift that came in after the news, at 6. Late crew rolled in drunk around 7ish and would just get steamed until we called security to bring the scooter and roll em home. Repeat every night for 2 years of high school.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mezzanon posted:

holy fukkkin lol I'm so excited to enjoy my one day off between now and 2018 (that day is Christmas Day) :rip:

:( :hf: :(

Though I gotta say: my first real industry holiday party on Sunday night made it all worthwhile. I've never been to a shindig with an open bar where "open bar" meant "just go behind the bar and help yourself to anything on the bottom two shelves". And, oh, hey, there's jell-o shots, too? Y'all too kind...

Being at work at 4 am on Monday was sure fun, though

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:( :hf: :(

Though I gotta say: my first real industry holiday party on Sunday night made it all worthwhile. I've never been to a shindig with an open bar where "open bar" meant "just go behind the bar and help yourself to anything on the bottom two shelves". And, oh, hey, there's jell-o shots, too? Y'all too kind...

Being at work at 4 am on Monday was sure fun, though

Nice. Our Christmas party is in January. I did the math. Between the beginning of the work day today (Wednesday) and the end of the work day Friday, I will have worked 46 out of 72 hours.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh gently caress.

I have to learn a whole new POS today.

Nooooooo! Why!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oh gently caress.

I have to learn a whole new POS today.

Nooooooo! Why!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god. The owner is already having buyers remorse.

The ticket system is all hosed up. The loving thing won't save people's addresses.

This is gonna be a disaster. Yeah! Let's do it right before a Friday night.

Oh my god. :suicide:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Oh my god. The owner is already having buyers remorse.

The ticket system is all hosed up. The loving thing won't save people's addresses.

This is gonna be a disaster. Yeah! Let's do it right before a Friday night.

Oh my god. :suicide:

Mezzanon posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Trebuchet King posted:

Let’s put it this way. I am a regular D&D poster. Imagine hundreds of me. Talking about shrimp tails, and cooking meat strictly to USDA guidelines temperatures. Relitigating the viability of no tip restaurants, weekly. Forever.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 22, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
discendo vox, you are not representative of d&d and you know it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

discendo vox, you are not representative of d&d and you know it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I can only apologize, and promise to try harder in the future.

This seems like an excellent time to discuss self-driving cars and the nature of the 2016 Democratic primary.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 22, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Day 2 of 2.5 for last minute christmas shoppers and them invading my store :suicide:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm hitting the wall here in day 3, and I only have 13 hours of work left for the day (only 8 of which are at the restaurant)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's payday, we got cash holiday bonuses from the owner, and our KM gave us all individual stockings with a personal gift (I got a cool scarf) plus a plastic candy cane filled with airline bottles of vodka. And then, because we hauled rear end today, before she left the KM told us "there's 2 pitchers next door [our sister bar/grill store] for y'all". If you don't count getting actual PTO when I worked for a county library, this is the best holiday haul I have ever gotten from a job in my 27 years of being a working person.

Sometimes, the industry, she does not suck.

...now, get back to me in a few weeks because, over those pitchers, I just found out our breakfast joint is going to start to do lunch as well.

Though I was planning on being there some afternoons anyways; KM knows I make and sell hot sauce and fruit butters for farmer's markets (and goons), and the sister store wants to start canning their BBQ sauces for retail sale at our place while we're dark afternoons/evenings. So she tapped me to see if I'd want to do that, I'd set my own hours and have run of the kitchen to can my own poo poo as well. Yes, yes, I'd love to have a real commercial kitchen as opposed to my tiny apt range that my canner barely fits on, thank you very much

Mezzanon posted:

I'm hitting the wall here in day 3, and I only have 13 hours of work left for the day (only 8 of which are at the restaurant)

hang in there, hon :(

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Merry Christmas industry thread! Enjoy your one day off!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not mine! But I volunteered for it. Gonna get that sweet sweet triple pay with a patient count of probably around 120.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah I used to know a hotel bartender that was very excited that he got to work Christmas. I didn't understand until he explained that triple pay really meant something and anyone who did walk in was going to tip very generously.

Edit: oh yeah, Merry Christmas y'all!

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 25, 2017

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Best part of Christmas Day is I don't have to cook for anyone. Even my girl gave me the day off.

:discourse:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm so full of duck risotto, bourbon, and aquavit. Someone wake me up tomorrow. Merry Christmas, thread.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I made rumaki, but other than that phoned it in by buying poo poo liked smoked salmon and duck liver pate with a gift card my husband got from the co-op. Just grazed all day. And we're cat-sitting for upstairs neighbors, who nicely left a six of vanilla porter in their fridge for us. A Good Holiday.

We roast our own coffee in house, and sell the beans as well as the brew. The bag prototypes for our two new blends came in today, and the hazelnut is Dee's Nuts. Quaint southern farm picture and font, no indication of the joke. I love it. I dunno how FOH is gonna suppress the giggles when our grey-haired Sunday post-church brunch crowd comes in saying "I love Dee's Nuts! Can I get a sack?"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

And why not just increase the price presented to the customer by 5%, instead of lying about how much it costs and springing an extra charge on the end?

...because part of the law allowing us to charge the mandate is that it be listed on the menu?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun article crawled across the feed today, thought I should share...

quote:

MONTCEAU-LES-MINES, France — It is like giving up your Nobel, rejecting your Oscar, pushing back on your Pulitzer: Jérôme Brochot, a renowned and refined chef, decided to turn in his Michelin star.

He is renouncing the uniquely French distinction that separates his restaurant from thousands of others, the lifetime dream of hundreds. But Mr. Brochot’s decision was not a rash one, born of arrogance, ingratitude or spite. Rather, it was for a prosaic, but still important, reason: he could no longer afford it.

It is a drastic step that says everything about the crushing reality of “the other France” — the provinces where on average more than 10 percent of storefronts are vacant, the old jobs have gone, and the cafes are empty on cold mornings.

Even in a region famed for its culinary traditions, this declining old mining town deep in lower Burgundy could not sustain a one-star Michelin restaurant. Mr. Brochot, a youthful-looking 46, had gambled on high-end cuisine in a working-class town and lost.

In November, the chef wrote to the Guide Michelin, the fat red gastronome’s bible in Paris that bestows the honor, to say he wanted out. He could no longer make ends meet at his bright orange hotel-restaurant Le France, he said. He could no longer pay for the personnel, produce and precision that go into charging one-star prices.

“The economic situation here in the ex-mining basin is a disaster,” Mr. Brochot wrote to Michelin. “What I’m doing today, I’m not doing lightly, but because I have no other choice.”

A bit more at the link, but I'm curious how long it's going to be until we start seeing more of the same in the US, as fine dining becomes too much of an extravagance to keep places afloat outside of wealth hotspots like NYC or the Bay.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...because part of the law allowing us to charge the mandate is that it be listed on the menu?

Only if a business is electing to charge a surcharge to fulfill the mandate, as opposed to just raising prices. The law doesn't require specific healthcare-related surcharges on businesses.

http://ggra.org/issues-advocacy/healthcare/
http://sfgov.org/olse/k-health-surcharges#1

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

One of my coworkers just threw a sausage at an incredibly annoying regular patron, jumped on the counter, flipped him the bird and ran out the door yelling "I'm rich bitch".

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sextro posted:

One of my coworkers just threw a sausage at an incredibly annoying regular patron, jumped on the counter, flipped him the bird and ran out the door yelling "I'm rich bitch".

powerful.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

He responded to a text finally. Apparently he managed to cash out of some bitcoins or something and the transaction cleared just before 5.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sextro posted:

The dream of everyone in this thread

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sextro posted:

I want to be your coworker when I grow ip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Fun article crawled across the feed today, thought I should share...

A bit more at the link, but I'm curious how long it's going to be until we start seeing more of the same in the US, as fine dining becomes too much of an extravagance to keep places afloat outside of wealth hotspots like NYC or the Bay.

The two big sectors of growth in the USA are the super high end (michelin and james beard winning) in places that can support it, and the super low end (food trucks the employees of the super high end get their grub at). This tracks roughly with the growth of correlated economic quintiles as well with different sectors targeting different incomes. And super high end was never really viable in the American equivalents of southern Burgundy, so as far as France is concerned this is just the invisible hand smearing global wealth in an ever-finer dissasisfyingly equitably-inequitable layer.

It's that Applebees/TGI Fridays middle ground that's getting owned by lack of disposable income right now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 28, 2017