Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
That chimera converted into a mobile artillery piece is awesome Yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Uroboros posted:

That chimera converted into a mobile artillery piece is awesome Yeast.

:goose: that's not a conversion https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Armageddon-Pattern-Basilisk

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Can't be canonical, has a marine going "prone" in it.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

This is such a cool model and so much fun to paint. The actual rules seem pretty weak though - has anyone actually used a Noxious Blightbringer to good effect?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gilgameshback posted:

This is such a cool model and so much fun to paint. The actual rules seem pretty weak though - has anyone actually used a Noxious Blightbringer to good effect?

They're pretty alright. The rerollable advance distance helps your slugish units out, and the morale debuff is excellent for morale-bomb combos.

They're not as niche as the Tallymen or the Biologis Putrifiers, but not as generally good as the Putrid Blightspawn or the Plague Surgeons. A middle-ground unit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got some glamour shots of my army last night as they squared off against Sisters of Battle. Ended up losing (Relic mission), but came pretty close to tabling my opponent.

The Sisters

Celestine died (for the first time) right after this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yeast posted:

an objective marker!

Make him bald and have him be von Strab.

Yeast posted:

And now that you can have a Commissar driven Leman Russ as a stratagem in the Guard Codex, I wanted to model one up. for when I use it.

He needs to be a little lower in the turret to be a really effective "suck it". Hth.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 21, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

:frogsiren: ACHTUNG BADBOYS AND FUCCBOIS :frogsiren:

Why don't y'all with families start sharing your stories of your kiddos and how they interact with you re: the hobby? These have been a refreshing change of pace from Juice Dad, which depresses the poo poo out of me every time I recall it. If I can make a request, I'd like to see SRM and Sex Cannon talk up all the tales of "my 8-year-old calls my Ork Warboss Mr. GreenScream" and such on the 'cast.

As neither of us are fathers, we're far more familiar with depressing ham stories than heartwarming ones. I have a few ham pals who are dads but their kids are still at the point where they'd sooner choke on a Space Marine than play with one.

I love this so much, using Epic models for forced perspective is super clever and I'm surprised more dioramas didn't do the same.

Yeast posted:

Got around to photographing some of the units I've finished lately.

God drat dude, your guys are fully sick.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Yeast posted:

And now that you can have a Commissar driven Leman Russ as a stratagem in the Guard Codex, I wanted to model one up. for when I use it.

These look amazing, particularly this commissar tank. Great job!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Got some glamour shots of my army last night as they squared off against Sisters of Battle. Ended up losing (Relic mission), but came pretty close to tabling my opponent.

These are some good glamour shots. I love your dunecrawlers

I really need to get better photos of my armies at some point

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

SRM posted:

I love this so much, using Epic models for forced perspective is super clever and I'm surprised more dioramas didn't do the same.

The owner of my LGS had some Valkyries where he put some old epic models on the base. Unfortunately I think these got lost in the fire.

Dude still does good work on bases and terrain pieces though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

The Sisters

Celestine died (for the first time) right after this.

These are cool and the lack of basing on the Sisters is enraging me.

I'm gonna try and get a nice picture of the 1500 I take tomorrow, and some in-game stuff. Maybe I'll even write a battle report up. I'm tempted to do a little picrep of the Apocalypse game next week, the one dude has a really nice army and I have fairly high hopes that the majority of stuff is going to be painted.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

This is my favorite use of the concept:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since my Chapter is the "Regal Skulls" I figured it would only be appropriate if the Ancient carried around a giant skull instead of a banner. So I whipped up something quick as a proportion test.

Awesome? Absurd? Absurdly Awesome?

The tentative plan is to use the 25th Anniversary Veteran Sergeant since he deserves to be more than just a common soldier (and seriously who doesn't give their Sergeant a power sword and grenade launcher), and probably apply a cross-piece and some chains to make the thing suitable ornate and skull-covered.

If you would like to stay appropriately 40k absurdly awesome you should instead equip the Sergeant with an enormous power-grenade and a sword launcher.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

This is my favorite use of the concept:

Holy poo poo.

The illusion doesn't quite work from the side, but that's a great concept. I'm sure it's just the wrong angle for the full effect.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Yeast posted:

Got around to photographing some of the units I've finished lately.

Savlar Chem dogs as a veteran unit for my Armageddon Army

Armageddon Basilisk

A Scout sentinel with a converted pilot

A Commissar

an objective marker!

What did you do for the artillery turret? That owns.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

What did you do for the artillery turret? That owns.

As someone pointed out, it's this:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Armageddon-Pattern-Basilisk

I played against one on Sunday, they're great looking.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the comments, guys. The portrait mode on the iPhone is pretty great. The only downside is that you can't really zoom in.

Corrode posted:

These are cool and the lack of basing on the Sisters is enraging me.

Yeah, he's slowly working on finishing them. They look really good (for the ones that are done). I didn't get any close up shots of his. It's funny, one of the guys at the shop saw me playing with my bare plastic, brand new AoS Khorne Bloodbound army sunday and asked the GW shop manager if we could start a rule where you get -1 to rolls if your army is unpainted.

This, coming from a guy who can't even put all 10 models in a squad on the same size bases and looks like his models are painted by melting crayons.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

As someone pointed out, it's this:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Armageddon-Pattern-Basilisk

I played against one on Sunday, they're great looking.

That's too bad. I have a bunch of chimeras that are useless. It would be nice to have a cheap conversion.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

That's too bad. I have a bunch of chimeras that are useless. It would be nice to have a cheap conversion.

Don't even talk to me about useless Chimeras, jfc

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Did Russes getting good make chimeras obsolete?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

FiestaNinja posted:

Can't be canonical, has a marine going "prone" in it.

Nah man, he's doing one armed push ups to get pumped. Totes legit.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

DiHK posted:

Nah man, he's doing one armed push ups to get pumped. Totes legit.

He’s the objective marker they’re holding, not a squad member.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since my Chapter is the "Regal Skulls" I figured it would only be appropriate if the Ancient carried around a giant skull instead of a banner. So I whipped up something quick as a proportion test.

I'd mount it lower to convey weight, giving it multiple stands to support it as well. It would be clumsy and unwieldy as currently displayed.

Or do a Skulltaker's cape style skull banner out of smaller skulls!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mango sentinel posted:

Did Russes getting good make chimeras obsolete?

Tauroxes Prime becoming stupidly good and Chimeras losing command vehicle (and not getting a points drop to match) means there isn't a lot of call for poor 'ol Chimera round these parts no more.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The tentative plan is to use the 25th Anniversary Veteran Sergeant since he deserves to be more than just a common soldier (and seriously who doesn't give their Sergeant a power sword and grenade launcher), and probably apply a cross-piece and some chains to make the thing suitable ornate and skull-covered.

As an aside wtf is this skull, exactly? I've always wondered.

Also agree with moths, mount it lower, maybe cover his whole back.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just magnetised my first model:

It was an absolute pain in the arse but I learned a lot doing it. Tried to follow this video and things mostly went to plan until I got to the head which was an absolute cluster gently caress. Couldn't get the mouth bits to stick to the lower jaw so had to wedge a 5mm * 2mm in the middle of the head. Mouth is a little bit wobbly and there's a few tiny gaps but it's mostly all there.

I'm hoping the Hive Tyrants are going to be easier because jfc that was some effort.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Tauroxes Prime becoming stupidly good and Chimeras losing command vehicle (and not getting a points drop to match) means there isn't a lot of call for poor 'ol Chimera round these parts no more.

Plus 8th ed's changes to vehicle damage made meltavets less good. Also, Chimeras cost more points now AND they lost the command vehicle ability. I'm still taking a couple but I doubt it's optimal.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Entropy238 posted:

Just magnetised my first model:

It was an absolute pain in the arse but I learned a lot doing it. Tried to follow this video and things mostly went to plan until I got to the head which was an absolute cluster gently caress. Couldn't get the mouth bits to stick to the lower jaw so had to wedge a 5mm * 2mm in the middle of the head. Mouth is a little bit wobbly and there's a few tiny gaps but it's mostly all there.

I'm hoping the Hive Tyrants are going to be easier because jfc that was some effort.

I found the trick to wobbly magnetised bits is to combine it with a pin and hole, so that you slot it onto a pin and then the magnetised bit can't slide off sideways.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Kingfish posted:

Plus 8th ed's changes to vehicle damage made meltavets less good. Also, Chimeras cost more points now AND they lost the command vehicle ability. I'm still taking a couple but I doubt it's optimal.

Their damage output is totally anaemic compared to a Taurox Prime. Oh, a multi-laser and a heavy bolter? Or I could have a fuckin gatling cannon and two hotshot volleys? Yeah sure let me take the Chimera.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

Their damage output is totally anaemic compared to a Taurox Prime. Oh, a multi-laser and a heavy bolter? Or I could have a fuckin gatling cannon and two hotshot volleys? Yeah sure let me take the Chimera.

Sure, but only Scions can ride in a Prime. If you're taking it as a transport, its better to compare it to a normal Taurox.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deified Data posted:

As an aside wtf is this skull, exactly? I've always wondered.

I am pretty sure it's an Arachnarok from fantasy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sure, but only Scions can ride in a Prime. If you're taking it as a transport, its better to compare it to a normal Taurox.

Do a lot of people take non-Scion mechanized IG? Most of the people I know just took their 7E carapace vets and said "Oh look: they were Stormtroopers all along!" and got Tauroxes Prime.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Why bother with transports for regular IG? Infantry squads don't warrant them and Scions do the Vets job much better without the need for a box.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Don't even talk to me about useless Chimeras, jfc

dont you talk to me about me talking to you about useless chimeras i have like eight and three more for hydras ffs

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

Why bother with transports for regular IG? Infantry squads don't warrant them and Scions do the Vets job much better without the need for a box.

Yeah, but if you don't want transports then comparing Chimeras to TPrimes is still dumb. If you're taking the Primes as battle-tanks then yeah, of course the troop transport box is gonna not work in that role. The fact that TPrimes DO is more of a problem, to me.

If Chimeras are useless it's because either they don't fill their role well, or you don't want that role, not because they fail to fill a DIFFERENT role. It's like saying Rhinos are useless because empty Razorbacks are better gunboats.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, but if you don't want transports then comparing Chimeras to TPrimes is still dumb. If you're taking the Primes as battle-tanks then yeah, of course the troop transport box is gonna not work in that role. The fact that TPrimes DO is more of a problem, to me.

If Chimeras are useless it's because either they don't fill their role well, or you don't want that role, not because they fail to fill a DIFFERENT role. It's like saying Rhinos are useless because empty Razorbacks are better gunboats.

Chimeras need a bit of a price drop ive been running 2 as of late to help get some mobility and map control on tables with dense terrain and its been working really well but I pretty much constantly feel like i should be fielding even vanilla Taurox's over them when I do points run downs.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

They cost more than a regular taurox, which is faster and better armed. They really need something beyond one extra point of toughness to make them worth having.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Planning on getting in a game against Beer4theBeerGod next week, and he informed me that he's bringing a Baneblade. "Oh gently caress," I thought, realizing that I had nowhere near the firepower I needed to bring it down. Hence, frantic painting this week to get these bad boys finished.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

These things are all interconnected.

In 5th, the primo mechanised edition, transports were useful because they were cheap and relatively hard to destroy. Chimeras in particular had the AV12 frontage, which made them a pain in the arse if you couldn't get in the side of them. They were also a great delivery system for Veterans with a bunch of meltaguns, which needed to get close to their target, and were too fragile to do it on foot. Since you could shoot out of the transport, you had the benefit of driving up, plugging out 3 accurate meltaguns, and still having all the protection of the box. The Chimera itself offered useful ancillary fire, since although it had no AP the multi-laser was quite useful for dinging glancing hits onto opposing transports. You could also give orders out of them, and any auras worked off the vehicle footprint, so you could get a bigger effective range by popping the character in them.

All this mattered because everyone else had just as many metal boxes as you did, so it became a war of light APCs all performing drive-bys against each other.

In 8th, the situation is very different. Pure transports still have a role, but it's much more limited - basically acting as delivery systems for those units which don't have any other option, e.g. non-Alpha Legion Khorne Berzerkers. They're much more expensive than they were, so you really need something to put inside them which justifies the expense. Reliable deep strike on units like Scions, or the infiltrate stratagems, or move+advance+shoot all mean that the mobility need is less than it was. In the modern game, transports are much more meant to act as light battle tanks which happen to have a useful side ability, rather than purely doing that. The Chimera doesn't stack up, because its weapons haven't gotten any better in decades, whereas equivalent vehicles - Taurox Primes, Razorbacks - have gotten much killier, particularly the Razorback since the twin-link = double weapons thing came into effect.

So what this means is that the Chimera is much closer to being a pure general-purpose transport like the Rhino, and not a gunboat with a transport capacity a la Razorbacks, in an army where that's much less useful of a thing to be. They either need to be dirt cheap, or offer more than they currently do. What form that might take is hard to say - their best application was driving around with Vets in, but Scions do that job these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I accidentally ordered two Start Collecting Tyranids boxes. Should I return the second one or am I gonna want all that stuff eventually anyway?