Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

The recovery and Rehabilitation of Dave is perhaps the greatest achievement of the thread.

The discovery of Panther piss is the next best thing.

Also that thing you did with your thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey Sims do you still have the old engine from the trukk?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Old man river scrapped it in Nebraska

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, when Daddo purged all our scrap from his land he also scrapped the engine and all the stuff in the van.

RIP my engine stand. We hardly knew ye. :negative:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 15, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Aww, I donated money years ago to the project hoping to get the crankshaft so I could make a thing out of it. :smith:

No matter, went to a good cause.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, since this thing has been running poorly, I decided to take another look at the wiring.
As you may recall, Dave go it running, but uh, left this crime against electricity behind:

So I yanked it out, chopped it up, and started from the beginning:

It really, really, helps to have the factory manual for this. What kind of monster uses the same color to control three different things?
Anyways, got it cleaned it up, and jammed it back in:

I know it still looks like a mess, but that only because I didn't mount the fusebox anywhere yet. Once that's secured I can hide the rest of the wires
Oh and I also got a new ECU, and made a bracket to hold it up inside the dash for now.

So did all that, went to go crank it up, aaaaaand found the fuel pump not pumping. :negative:
I tried it on a different circuit just to verify it was getting power properly, and no dice. Guess I'm getting a new fuel pump now.

I was able to at least get it to start with some starting fluid, and it ran for a few seconds, so ti's got that going for it at least.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao double check the distributor if you used a factory harness it uses an oil pressure cut out with fuel pump relay

All of which I sort of......bypassed

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I love those little wire tag things.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So good news, I hit the fuel pump really hard and I got it to start running.

Got the engine to fire up, and it's still not running great though. Kinda ran out of daylight so I stopped my diagnosis but so far:

MAP sensor still kills the engine.
Idle is pretty rough, and it sounds like there might be a timing issue
Still occasionally will run VERY rough and then shut off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

it sounds like there might be a timing issue

You know the rule; when you think it's ignition it's fuel, and vice versa. And, well,

ExplodingSims posted:

I hit the fuel pump really hard and I got it to start running.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This engine was always intended to be temporary anyway, correct? And IIRC the van didn't run that great to begin with?

I mean... ultimately it's a TBI SBC, which is about as simple as it gets for EFI, but it may just boil down to a lot of worn out parts (like that fuel pump :v:) that are combining forces to piss off the ECU.

It's weird that plugging in the MAP kills it. The MAP sensor has been swapped already, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The van drove fine all the way to the killing fields IIRC, so it's something that has been done to it since it got its heart torn out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

The van drove fine all the way to the killing fields IIRC, so it's something that has been done to it since it got its heart torn out.

Yeah i dunno, only the finest of work was done in that operating theater

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:thunk:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This engine was always intended to be temporary anyway, correct? And IIRC the van didn't run that great to begin with?

Yeah, that's why I'm trying not to spend a ton on money on it, but still, it'd be nice for it to be something more than a street decoration.
The engine ran great in the van. The transmission in that thing not so much.

I ordered a new fuel pump since they're apparently super cheap. So we'll see if that does anything.
In the meantime, have some videos. Maybe you guys can figure something out from them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaWphHb15n0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qUPpjxafKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0IxyyWId2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2MRQBxTqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4yvFOaIqEE

:stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Stupid question: have you tested or replaced the MAP?

That exhaust just kills me.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

Stupid question: have you tested or replaced the MAP?

That exhaust just kills me.
Yeah, I replaced the map like 2 weeks ago.

And yeah, the exhaust is ridiculous, but there's not really a whole lotta other options there :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I mean there are but noooooooo

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Did you check the map wiring for 5v signal and ground?

Possible vacuum leak? If it doesn't see a map it might have a tps only fuel table that would ignore the leaks but freak out if the map came back reading wrong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, I replaced the map like 2 weeks ago.

And yeah, the exhaust is ridiculous, but there's not really a whole lotta other options there :v:

Well, poo poo. Make sure it's getting the right voltage, and putting out the expected signal, I guess? You just redid the harness, so the wires are correct in theory.
Grounding problem?
It's got to be something simple. Like STR said, it's a GM TBI - EFI doesn't get much simpler, and the ECUs are pretty well understood (and hacked).

DICK DICER posted:

I mean there are but noooooooo

Puller headers all the way. Or *maybe* fenderwell headers, with cut-outs.

e: f, b.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I can’t quite tell from your video but it looks like what your calling the MAP is in the location of the EGR solenoid. Could you post a closer picture? I think the map is further back closer to the distributer.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

honda whisperer posted:

Did you check the map wiring for 5v signal and ground?

Possible vacuum leak? If it doesn't see a map it might have a tps only fuel table that would ignore the leaks but freak out if the map came back reading wrong.

Darchangel posted:

Well, poo poo. Make sure it's getting the right voltage, and putting out the expected signal, I guess? You just redid the harness, so the wires are correct in theory.
Grounding problem?
It's got to be something simple. Like STR said, it's a GM TBI - EFI doesn't get much simpler, and the ECUs are pretty well understood (and hacked).

Puller headers all the way. Or *maybe* fenderwell headers, with cut-outs.

e: f, b.

I'll go back and check. I like, quintuple checked over the wiring, and it's a new ECU, so it should be working in theory. We shall see.

Also, as much as I did like the sound of the open headers, I REALLY do not want to cut into the fenders or hood, since those are basically irreplaceable.

rdb posted:

I can’t quite tell from your video but it looks like what your calling the MAP is in the location of the EGR solenoid. Could you post a closer picture? I think the map is further back closer to the distributer.
I'll get you another picture if I can, be the MAP sensor is that little square thing. The EGR solenoid is actually right behind it, under the air filter dealy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, as much as I did like the sound of the open headers, I REALLY do not want to cut into the fenders or hood, since those are basically irreplaceable.

:colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I seem to recall those fenders being removable...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

rdb posted:

Ok, here's a better pic of the area in question:

MAP is the black rectangle in the lower left
EGR solenoid is right behind it
IAC is under that

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so question

What if i pooped in there

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DICK DICER posted:

Ok so question

Probably adds ten horsepower

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, here's a better pic of the area in question:

MAP is the black rectangle in the lower left
EGR solenoid is right behind it
IAC is under that

That is different than the trucks. Learned something today. The vacuum lines seem to all be on the correct ports. I assume you have double and triple checked the wiring on the MAP by now. Just out of curiosity if you unhook the vacuum line from the EGR does it still die when you plug in the MAP? Have you been able to read codes from this ECM?

E: is the coolant temp sensor hooked up and/or any vacuum leaks?

rdb fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 20, 2017

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I'll go back and check. I like, quintuple checked over the wiring, and it's a new ECU, so it should be working in theory. We shall see.

I'll get you another picture if I can, be the MAP sensor is that little square thing. The EGR solenoid is actually right behind it, under the air filter dealy.

I've seen new parts that were broken out of the box and wires that were connected to the right things with no connection. Use a multimeter to check for ground, 5v, and the signal voltage right at the map with it plugged in and power on, not running though. Just gently slide a pin through the weather seal on to the back of the connectors pin and measure off that.

If it's good at the map check for signal voltage at the ECU pin for map signal.

If all good we hook a vacuum gauge inline with the map and confirm voltage matches measured vacuum.

If not good post where it's broken and we'll start hunting the break.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Completely unrelated to the Trukk, but I love the dissonance in your username/avatar combo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Do you have a laptop and aldl to usb cable with WinALDL? That’s what I use to test my stolen EFI. You can see all the voltages and see that things work really easily.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

DICK DICER posted:

Ok so question

It’s a biodiesel now

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DICK DICER posted:

Ok so question

https://imgur.com/a/WgWeD

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

StormDrain posted:

Do you have a laptop and aldl to usb cable with WinALDL? That’s what I use to test my stolen EFI. You can see all the voltages and see that things work really easily.

Yeah, you need to work through all the EFI components and check the voltage or whatever at the component is correct and then that it is getting back to the correct pins at the ECU too.

When i first wired up my truck i managed to get the TPS backwards so it went 5-0 not 0-5 and got the coils mixed up on my idle stepper meaning it didn't move properly.

you should also buy a cheap inline fuel pressure gauge too and check EFI basics like this. I had a blocked return line which made my fuel pressure go up from 35psi to 100psi. This makes wierd things happen...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I had a similar issue with my TBI van that ended up being the knock sensor. There should be a wire in the ignition computer you can ground that'll bypass computerized ignition control which will confirm/deny the knock sensor as an issue.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Completely unrelated to the Trukk, but I love the dissonance in your username/avatar combo.

:3:

Funniest part it was bought for me in a games thread.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953-gmc-2-ton-dump-box/6432238382.html

Some inspiration or soul crushing economic reality

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, I binged this whole saga over the last week. Words can't describe. :perfect:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's the journey, not the destination...

• Locked thread