Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

How can the terms in the sample contract be enforced if the artist and client live in different countries?

Enforcement would be a legal nightmare I'm sure but you still want a contract. In my contracts, I always include a paragraph at the end that specifies the state/city I would be filing my case in if things ever got that far (although I phrased it more neutral-sounding and legalese than that).

A contract is equally about covering your own rear end as it is about making sure you get what you want from the other party - it keeps you from being responsible for paying for stuff that doesn't meet your standards, and it also works a lot like a cheap lock - it helps keep honest people honest by giving them specific terms an timelines to work within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Okay, it's more for one's peace of mind, then. I'm just concerned that some artists might balk if I ask them to sign a contract with me, but I'm guessing those who get scared aren't worth commissioning anyway, right?

I tried to make a short comic before with a friend but he ended up being super-flaky and an overall douchebag so there's that.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, it's more for one's peace of mind, then. I'm just concerned that some artists might balk if I ask them to sign a contract with me, but I'm guessing those who get scared aren't worth commissioning anyway, right?

I tried to make a short comic before with a friend but he ended up being super-flaky and an overall douchebag so there's that.

Well no, it IS a legal document. The peace of mind it provides is through being a legally-binding contract that has consequences should either party breach it. It may not be financially beneficial to take the offending party to court, but it also gives conditions that allow either party to break the contract, so that they're not obligated to complete artwork for you if you're perpetually late with your payments, and you're not locked into paying an artist who is continually late delivering.

Although speaking as a freelance artist, 9 times out of 10 most payment/contract issues I've come across have been a client not wanting to pay, or trying to convince me that "Of course they'll pay, but there's no need to, like, make it official. Just trust me!"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

for_exposure.txt is a thing for a reason. Obviously use your judgement if you're doing something small for a friend of a friend or whatever, but otherwise, if they refuse to sign a contract or try to avoid anything written or official then drop them. If you're looking to be paid for your work then you're acting in a professional capacity and deserve to treated as such.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Idle thoughts: why do web cartoonists feel the need to glaze all of their artwork in red or orange?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Idle thoughts: why do web cartoonists feel the need to glaze all of their artwork in red or orange?

It's to counter the blue of your monitor light and make it appear neutral color.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Reiley posted:

It's to counter the blue of your monitor light and make it appear neutral color.

Why do I think that you're actually serious?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

because it can be a joke and actually true at the same time

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MiniFoo posted:

because it can be a joke and actually true at the same time

oh poo poo that's fuckin spooky

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I apologize. I've been busy at work. I'll respond now. Thanks for everyone who responded, by the way.

al-azad posted:

You're setting yourself up for failure by not doing anything. You can plan the finished product, building an audience, investment, and work involved all you want but until you put pen to paper you got a resounding nothing.

I'll say this, as someone who has published TRPG material, the barrier for art in general is indeed higher. There are some dedicated forums to find an audience but they are very scrutinizing and selective. The pervasive opinion for art posted online is that it should be free and if you put up some kind of barrier up front it'll be ignored until you've established something people are willing to contribute to. You'll have to work hard to build that audience, investing a lot of money.

That said there's crossover potential. If people from the TRPG world know your name you can spin off from what you've established. That's how Rich Burlew launched Order of the Stick, he was a finalist in a D&D competition with some writing credits then created a successful webcomic from it.

I don't think I have much of a name outside of this forum. Unless dungeon bastards is secretly a hit game, and the sales figures certainly don't suggest it, or people really like my 13th age classes, I don't really think I got too much for name in that industry.

My titles were just too small and while I do actually still having a complete game that actually might be big once I do the kickstarter, that still requires me to actually do the kickstarter so nothing's happened yet. Though it will soon. The powered by the apocalypse boom is still teetering on and I think I can ride that to get my game across. Also I think it's a good game, of course, I wouldn't want to put my name on something I didn't think was good.

Anyway, the point is that I don't have a name for myself yet in that industry, though I do know some people who liked my work. It's a pretty small group. I never really sold that many titles.

Schneider Heim posted:

I think it would be a lot better if you focused on one story and getting it published. Then you can use the experience to publish another, until you have enough to repackage into an anthology. The rationale here is that one short comic would take less time and effort to put out than an entire anthology, and it lets you get a finished product out of the door faster (which should make you and your audience happier sooner).

All right, I guess that makes sense. Maybe I should strive just to do a one shot. Just something completed that I can show people and use to try things out and get my ball bearings and potentially get an audience. Maybe it be easier doing that than trying to turn vox populi into a series.

gmc9987 posted:

Like al-azad said, the only way to really fail at this is to never start. But I've found that you can be more likely to achieve success if you give yourself a list of quantifiable goals.

What I mean is, "Entertain an audience" isn't really a thing you can measure or attach a numerical value to, so it's very subjective. Say you receive 20 fan emails and 2 hate emails from your project - on some days, when you're feeling good, you may feel you've succeeded. Other days, when you're not doing so great (you mentioned suicidal thoughts), those two hate mails will make you feel like a total failure. If you change that goal to something like "gain 20 followers on [insert webcomics hosting platform here]" that's easier to measure and offers concrete evidence that you're succeeding, and minimizes using the negative responses to count against your successes.

If this were me, I would write up my goals like this:

• Finish script for 16 page comic story
  • Commission artwork for no more than $[your budget here]
  • Publish comic online at my own URL

All of those goals are easy to quantify, and also easy to break down into further goals. Once they're done, you can look at what you have and figure out another list - do you want to focus on gaining visibility for your finished comic? Or do you want to go right into the creation of the next in the series? It's up to you, but as long as you keep your goals quantifiable and realistic it's easier to get where you want to go.

All right, that makes a lot of sense. I think I might actually help with my other words to. I'll use that list and see how it goes. I might adjusted based on my needs. But that does seem very helpful.

I do need to revise the script no matter what. A lot of people didn't like the first draft. So that's definitely step one.

Then I need to get some new artists because the people I requested have all told me nah. So that's Step 2.

Then, step 3 is to publish it. The real question is willing to do it Page by page is a webcomic or do it all at once through comixology or something.

All right, I think I got a game plan. I'll just try vox populi as a one shot for now. I'll follow steps and sell it through comixology, if I can. See how it goes. And, the people who gave me this advice will get a discount waiver as a way of me saying thanks. If I can even do that.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i have an insatiable craving for jesus

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
tearing illuminated manuscripts into shreds and cramming them by the fistful into my wanton rear end

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
the illuminated manuscripts depict none other than my webcomic

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
my webcomic is mostly about jesus and his heavy wooden cross (penis)

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
the death of jesus is a phallic story. the cross, rome's vengeful erection. the nails penetrate the hands. the spear penetrates the side. the "apostles" frolicking in their garden, eating each other's flesh, drinking each other's blood

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Welcome back, I'm a little jealous of your disposable income <3

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

Welcome back

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I’d read it.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

sweeperbravo posted:

Welcome back, I'm a little jealous of your disposable income <3
other people play video games or smoke cigarettes, i do this

it only costs about as much as three or four nice takeaway cappuccinos, when you think about it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
eh nevermind, it wasn't that good (still learned from the experience of making it though)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 26, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The artist I was interested in has just responded to me, once I am no longer drunk off of Christmas drinking and whiskey and beer and other things that make this text to speech functions struggle, I will respond to him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm currently writing a screenplay for a comic/book hybrid I'm doing.

So far I have 114 pages. However, I'm not sure if it's okay to post what I have here so far due to the fact that as of now it's all words and is a very rough draft. So it isn't a "comic" as of now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm currently writing a screenplay for a comic/book hybrid I'm doing.

So far I have 114 pages. However, I'm not sure if it's okay to post what I have here so far due to the fact that as of now it's all words and is a very rough draft. So it isn't a "comic" as of now.

Well, it's like they say, "you can't get feedback without putting something on the table".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay. Here is what I have so far.

Any comments or criticisms welcome.

Keep in mind this is written as a draft/screenplay so it isn't formated like a book.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does royal road not believe in page breaks?

Well, it seems quite wordy. If this is the main character it seems a super offputting way to start your story. And stuff like

quote:

Despite their tough persona it is clear they are inexperienced.They take too long scouting an obvious small store and act too conspicuous.

Is going to be very hard to convey.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Well, after several months of work, numerous revisions and drafts and at least one major equipment failure I've finally got the comic script I've been working on in a polished enough state that I'm ready to share it with strangers on the internet for feedback.

Please find linked one (1) comic script in Google Doc format for the perusal of anyone with too much free time on heir hands

Commenting is on so feel free to leave any feedback, witticisms or general ribaldry you like. One thing to note is that I'm planning on drawing this myself so the panel descriptions have been left at a minimum.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay. Here is what I have so far.

Any comments or criticisms welcome.

Keep in mind this is written as a draft/screenplay so it isn't formated like a book.

After a quick read through I think one of the major things you should focus on going forward is thinking about how to break the script up into panels and giving some thought as to how this is going to visually read on the page. Dialogue especially is something you'll need to think about moving forward: You have unlimited space in a script to have characters talk but there's only so much room on the page for dialogue balloons so make sure to edit what you've got so far with an eye for cutting dialogue down to only what is absolutely necessary to convey information, intent and character voice.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

After a quick read through I think one of the major things you should focus on going forward is thinking about how to break the script up into panels and giving some thought as to how this is going to visually read on the page. Dialogue especially is something you'll need to think about moving forward: You have unlimited space in a script to have characters talk but there's only so much room on the page for dialogue balloons so make sure to edit what you've got so far with an eye for cutting dialogue down to only what is absolutely necessary to convey information, intent and character voice.

Thanks. As I said before it is a blueprint so I'm planning on editing it and need to decide what is and isn't going to be in a panel. But I'll keep that in mind when editing it.

Any other feedback?

Fangz posted:

Does royal road not believe in page breaks?

Unfortunately not. Regardless, it isn't meant to be read in this format, it's a personal draft for me to edit later.

Fangz posted:

If this is the main character it seems a super offputting way to start your story.

Could you please elaborate?

Fangz posted:

And stuff like

Is going to be very hard to convey.

I can see that. I'll likely leave that part as text. It's a comic/novel hybrid.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not exactly rooting for any of these kids am I? Stick with the victimless crimes, not armed convenience store robbery while shouting misogynist slurs.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

I'm not exactly rooting for any of these kids am I? Stick with the victimless crimes, not armed convenience store robbery while shouting misogynist slurs.

I see. Thanks for the tip. The answer is no, you aren't suppose to like any of these kids as of now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The problem is when you cross the line from 'don't like' to 'don't give a poo poo what happens to them', and I'm basically there.

Basically this opening is off putting and I am put off. You asked for elaboration and that's all I can give.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 26, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

The problem is when you cross the line from 'don't like' to 'don't give a poo poo what happens to them', and I'm basically there.

Basically this opening is off putting and I am put off. You asked for elaboration and that's all I can give.

Thanks for the feedback.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 26, 2017

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
the late-december internet is so loving boring and it gets worse every year i hate this

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
but then early january is upon us, a prime season, meltdowns juicy and abundant on the vine

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
christmas is an evil, cancerous thing: the rot at the roots of western culture

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fangz posted:

Fangz I think you should read a clockwork orange

KingKalamari posted:

Well, after several months of work, numerous revisions and drafts and at least one major equipment failure I've finally got the comic script I've been working on in a polished enough state that I'm ready to share it with strangers on the internet for feedback.

Please find linked one (1) comic script in Google Doc format for the perusal of anyone with too much free time on heir hands

Commenting is on so feel free to leave any feedback, witticisms or general ribaldry you like. One thing to note is that I'm planning on drawing this myself so the panel descriptions have been left at a minimum.

King Kalamari I'm liking your script so far! I'd be interested to see any concept drawings or thumbnails for pages you have. The main thing I think I have to say is that there seems to be a lot of exposition by dialogue, lucy narrating what she's finding in the room and expressing shock when shes in the alien dimension etc, but you shouldn't be afraid to let the comic operate without words and let the environment sink in and do the "talking," especially since I know you're good at depicting detailed environments! Also I thought it was kinda weird that Lucy and the mom were talking about felix while he was in the back of the car/could hear probably.

But hey yo webcomics inventors thread what was some Literature And Art that influenced you in 2017, heres some of mine

-Dubliners
-The Arabian Nights
-Catch-22
-Paul Cezanne
-Ren & Stimpy
-Phillip Guston
-Africa: A Guided Tour
-Terrytoons!
-Space Jam

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

King Kalamari I'm liking your script so far! I'd be interested to see any concept drawings or thumbnails for pages you have. The main thing I think I have to say is that there seems to be a lot of exposition by dialogue, lucy narrating what she's finding in the room and expressing shock when shes in the alien dimension etc, but you shouldn't be afraid to let the comic operate without words and let the environment sink in and do the "talking," especially since I know you're good at depicting detailed environments! Also I thought it was kinda weird that Lucy and the mom were talking about felix while he was in the back of the car/could hear probably.

Thank you! The exposition-heavy dialogue is something I'm still trying to get the hang of but I'm hoping that it'll be a bit easier once I start drawing the pages out a bit (It's at that stage I always end up going to my dialogue with a weed whacker to fit it reasonably onto the page)

Sadly I've not yet started doing any thumbnails or page layouts yet due to tablet issues (Which, thanks to some generous gifts from my family this holiday season, should be fixed as soon as Amazon gets more Intuos Pros in stock). All I have as far as concept sketches go at the moment are character designs:

FunkyAl posted:

But hey yo webcomics inventors thread what was some Literature And Art that influenced you in 2017, heres some of mine

-Dubliners
-The Arabian Nights
-Catch-22
-Paul Cezanne
-Ren & Stimpy
-Phillip Guston
-Africa: A Guided Tour
-Terrytoons!
-Space Jam

I've been getting pretty heavily into classic fantasy fiction over the course of the year and feel like it's been having an influence on my writing. Thus far I've checked out:

-Lord of the Rings (Read part of it back in high school but finally got around to actually finishing some of the novels this year. I blame Tolkein's love of elf poems for my inability to finish it as a teenager)
-Earthsea
-Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series
-Discworld

I've also been finally started taking a serious dive into the works of Moebius and have been avidly following Kill Six Billion Demons.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
my webcomic began its life as chobits fanfiction in 2003 and it will remain that way until the day it finally dies, g-d willing, and frees us all of its loathsome presence

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

australiar posted:

my webcomic began its life as chobits fanfiction in 2003 and it will remain that way until the day it finally dies, g-d willing, and frees us all of its loathsome presence

mine was a bloom county ripoff

KingKalamari posted:

Thank you! The exposition-heavy dialogue is something I'm still trying to get the hang of but I'm hoping that it'll be a bit easier once I start drawing the pages out a bit (It's at that stage I always end up going to my dialogue with a weed whacker to fit it reasonably onto the page)

Sadly I've not yet started doing any thumbnails or page layouts yet due to tablet issues (Which, thanks to some generous gifts from my family this holiday season, should be fixed as soon as Amazon gets more Intuos Pros in stock). All I have as far as concept sketches go at the moment are character designs:

I'm going to say something crazy here, but I also recommend getting a nib and some ink like how cartoonists would use in the 1900s and such. It's a precise, direct, and inexpensive tool and when you run into technological issues and need to wait out equipment it is an effective way to stay productive. I also have a theory that producing digital art is slower than traditional because the computer is trying to simulate a process which is instant in real media, and there is an unavoidable but imperceptible lag between input and screen response. you are always producing art "ahead" of the computer so to speak and this adds to a kind of "lag" state. This is in spoiler tags that so from the outside it sounds like cartoon whispering noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

FunkyAl posted:

mine was a bloom county ripoff

I'm going to say something crazy here, but I also recommend getting a nib and some ink like how cartoonists would use in the 1900s and such. It's a precise, direct, and inexpensive tool and when you run into technological issues and need to wait out equipment it is an effective way to stay productive. I also have a theory that producing digital art is slower than traditional because the computer is trying to simulate a process which is instant in real media, and there is an unavoidable but imperceptible lag between input and screen response. you are always producing art "ahead" of the computer so to speak and this adds to a kind of "lag" state. This is in spoiler tags that so from the outside it sounds like cartoon whispering noises
this the real poo poo :colbert: