Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also, i don't think a large influx of public interest leads to the license going to anywhere interestingv and not Hasbro to make Monopoly Arrakis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The End posted:

It's not that FFG don't want to keep it Dune themed, it's that the Herbert family are super crazy about the license.

Oh, I'd read that initially it sold ok but then the movie came out and it just stopped selling completely. I hadnt realised they'd got such a strong veto. Still, I suspect once the new film hits things will change.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ojetor posted:

I don't see why someone would make this leap of logic. What I want and expect from a board game is vastly different from I want and expect from a roleplaying game. D&D is really bad at being a board game. Terrible balance, badly written ambiguous rules, ploddingly slow and uninteresting combat with very few decisions to make. By most board game metrics, D&D is awful.

If I want to play a roleplaying game where I am a fantasy hero killing monsters, sure, D&D will probably work. If I want to play a tight, brainburning, mechanically sound board game where I am a fantasy hero killing monsters, then D&D is absolutely out of the question.

Maybe I bought it for the wrong reason, but I was interested in Gloomhaven because it was at least themed in a way that made it resemble D&D without the need for a GM, and because of the legacy elements. Obviously the tight mechanics are the real meat of the game, and most of the other stuff is window dressing, but window dressing matters to a lot of people. Since Gloomhaven doesn't really scratch the itch for something with more roleplaying, but obviously does bring it to mind, I don't think it's crazy that it intensifies the nostalgia for a D&D experience that partially led to the purchase in the first place.

Tekopo posted:

The absolute middle ground of this are mega games and map exercises, where people are weirdly expected to both conform to strict rules and come up with creative solutions at the same time. Mega games are weird and wonderful and I'm glad to have taken part in them.

I feel that I personally could have done a better job for my team since I was the public representative for the aliens and apparently came off as insincere even though I was being honest, and the experience was pretty anxiety inducing because of the way the clock is always ticking for hours and you're always working with incomplete information, but I loved the megagame I went to and think it's probably the best gaming experience that I've ever had.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

!Klams posted:

Oh... Oh God.

I LOVE Dune, and had no idea that there was a boardgame of it*.

I LOVE the meta game you get in City of Horror and Spartacus where you wheel and deal and lie and backstab and make bizarre trades because you've chosen a hill to die on and so on

And you KNOW I love unique skills. This game even has unique win conditions.

And then I read this board game geek review of it. And now I HAVE to have it!!!!

*but it's not been printed for decades and I can't have it AAARRRGGGH!

Gotta find a decent way to print it out asap!

!Klams posted:

While that's kind of awesome (thanks! I'll have a look!) I love the idea of being paid for travel for being the spacing guild, or being the fremen and riding shai halud... Now I've seen it could be dune I'll always be a little bit let down. Still, I'm sure I can get over it, lol.

Boy, do I have the PM for you!*

*provided you want to drop a boatload of money on a near-mint out of print game

e: lmao the trading thread fell into archives again

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 21, 2017

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Does anyone have any Experiance with Anachrony? I thoroughly enjoy Trickerion, and it's looked good

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I am one of the first to defend gloomhaven, but its random encounter card system sucks poo poo. It is sold by word of mouth as a good rear end tactics game, but it's advertised as something between that and a D&D-esque experience, and in this case the advertising is wrong. Choosing random choices on a card is bullshit and boring and I wish I could skip it every time I play the drat game. This has only become more obvious over time - despite the fact that the tactics system holds up, and in fact becomes better and more interesting over time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Mouzer posted:

Does anyone have any Experiance with Anachrony? I thoroughly enjoy Trickerion, and it's looked good

It's excellent. It's another crunchy, complex worker placement game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mouzer posted:

It plays a bit better than Trickerion, and is a lot easier to get your mind around. I haven't played with any of the extra modules yet, but so far the base game has been well received.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

!Klams posted:

Oh... Oh God.

I LOVE Dune, and had no idea that there was a boardgame of it*.

Dune: The Dice Game. Free PNP game that condenses the wheeling and dealing and betraying of the old game into something a little lighter. Might help settle the itch a bit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've seen Valley of the Kings praised quite a bit in this thread. Which of the two versions is better, the base one or Afterlife?

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Azran posted:

I've seen Valley of the Kings praised quite a bit in this thread. Which of the two versions is better, the base one or Afterlife?

There's actually three, the third one is called Last Rites. They're all solid, I'd say Afterlife is probably the best of them personally.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Afterlife > Base > Last Rites for well balanced play. Last Rites > Afterlife > Base if you really like very involved combos in your card games. Base is still really good though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

We've laughed at more than a few events in Gloomhaven, so I'd say it could be miles worse.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
My big complaint about the road deck is many of them are 'Have an adventure Y/N' genre which just makes us have a pointless vote.

You can imho tell if the event is good if you get a split decision about what to do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

It's excellent. It's another crunchy, complex worker placement game.

Counterpoint: it's good, but the time travel mechanic is a thin reskin for taking out loans and beyond that there's not too much exciting about it. I don't think I value the considerable volume it takes up on my shelf less than I'd value the considerable cash in my wallet for a limited edition with Exosuits, all expansions and the rarest sleeve.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jedit posted:

Counterpoint: it's good, but the time travel mechanic is a thin reskin for taking out loans and beyond that there's not too much exciting about it. I don't think I value the considerable volume it takes up on my shelf less than I'd value the considerable cash in my wallet for a limited edition with Exosuits, all expansions and the rarest sleeve.

Yeah, the time travel is just fancy loans. BUT that's not the only thing it has in it's pocket though. Once you drill into the variants/modules, there's some clever poo poo going on - the 4 player, faction based semi-coop mode is very clever indeed. For one thing.

It is massively overproduced though. Considering I bought someone's all-in KS pledge for AUD$100, I'm pretty pleased. I can't imagine paying retail for all those extra bits. They're completely superfluous.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Some Numbers posted:

What the actual gently caress, HOW? I literally don't know how that's physically possible, it's one decision.

I played Falling Sky once with someone who took literally 15 minutes to take one of their turns. Their options were "do something" or "another player wins the game".

I don't play with this person anymore

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I had the long discussion thing once when playing Inis with some friends who had never played it. So granted they're new to the game but it basically came down to everyone getting a handle on how clashes worked, getting into a clash, and then spending multiple minutes deciding whether or not to lose a clan, or a card. A lot of discussion too, about rules, looking at cards in hand, clarifying that you can only lose action cards from an attack, staring at cards again. It smoothed out but there was a moment of "You have two options please pick one."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I played Anachrony once and didn't really care for it. It's overproduced in a way that actually detracts from gameplay for me. Maybe the guy teaching it sucks at teaching, but I think it took 45 minutes to start our 4-player game due to setup and overly long rules explanation. The game also took somewhere around 3 hours to finish. It's kind of like a solid worker placement game with no glaring defects, and it even has some interesting stuff like decently unique factions. I did feel though that it had 2 or 3 too many things going on, and they didn't necessarily make the game any better. The design felt too much like "what if I also put this in there??" If you ask yourself what is the stand-out thing about the game that separates it from other worker placements, you'll probably get "awesome components" or "time travel mechanic." I agree the time travel mechanic is just a loan system, so nothing is really standing out to me.

With all that said, if you like worker placement games and the overkill component stuff really appeals to you, you'll probably like the game quite a bit.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

They basically get crazier in terms of combos as you move up in release order (base, Afterlife, Last Rites). Afterlife is the sweet spot for me, although you can do some fun things mixing and matching between sets.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Azran posted:

Just to add a mild bit of dissension, we've tried VotK (base) a few times and nobody has really loved it. I think it makes sense if you have 2 players who both really dive in and play it a bunch of times (and who are well matched skill wise, as it's skill and deck-knowledge intensive)... but it's not a slam-dunk, whip-it-out-with-new-people-all-the-time type game; we sold it without many plays.

To be fair, I don't think it's a bad game. And honestly, 1v1 games have never fit well with my group (though quite often 2P coops do well).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a very nice friend who in her very niceness keeps inviting way too many people to board game night. Which is fine to an extent! But it means we always have too many people for most stuff. Good games for larger player counts? 6+ at least, last time we had 10. Yes, splitting up into groups is an option but here I'm looking for things to keep it all in one place. We're definitely in 'party game' instead of 'board game' territory, I know.

I have, and have had plenty of success with Monikers, Coup, Resistance: Avalon, and Codenames. Others of note? Considering getting them Mysterium as a housewarming present.

E: oh I also have sushi go party, it's been a hit.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Captain Sonar, 7 Wonders, Magic Maze, Spyfall, a gun to shoot enough people where you can play Dominion instead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jmzero posted:

Just to add a mild bit of dissension, we've tried VotK (base) a few times and nobody has really loved it. I think it makes sense if you have 2 players who both really dive in and play it a bunch of times (and who are well matched skill wise, as it's skill and deck-knowledge intensive)... but it's not a slam-dunk, whip-it-out-with-new-people-all-the-time type game; we sold it without many plays.

To be fair, I don't think it's a bad game. And honestly, 1v1 games have never fit well with my group (though quite often 2P coops do well).

In addition, VOTK is mentioned here almost exclusively as a concept and refutation of the idea that market row games are terrible for deckbuilders. VOTK does it right. And yes after getting it, we realized quickly that it's a dedicated filler game. We played it a bunch of times and still will later on but after getting import/export that's our dedicated filler game for now.

As an aside, I don't know what it is but my friends even got their own I/E copies and shared it with their familes/friends :psyduck: There's the criticisms of not having double cards like in glory to rome so you have way more swinginess but also that the cards weren't as game-breaking as GTR, but I think that's exactly the point. The single cards are fine and I'm much more satisfied with this game than DC deckbuilder because the effects weren't so game-breaking. There's nowhere near as much snowballing in the game as you'd expect. I've won over 80% of the ~40 games we've played in our group because it's more tactically-focused and it's what I'm better at, but I don't think we'd have that sort of number if it was just pure randomness.

NmareBfly posted:

I have a very nice friend who in her very niceness keeps inviting way too many people to board game night. Which is fine to an extent! But it means we always have too many people for most stuff. Good games for larger player counts? 6+ at least, last time we had 10. Yes, splitting up into groups is an option but here I'm looking for things to keep it all in one place. We're definitely in 'party game' instead of 'board game' territory, I know.

I have, and have had plenty of success with Monikers, Coup, Resistance: Avalon, and Codenames. Others of note? Considering getting them Mysterium as a housewarming present.

Here I Stand if you have exactly 6. :getin:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those would be my immediate suggestions... Spyfall seats up to 8, and hits a sweet spot at around 6 or 7, so that's not 10, but it is an option. I've never played it, but I've heard 2 Rooms and a Boom are good for huge playercounts, and is in fact designed for 10 plus. Secret Hitler would also be an option, and it's not as bad as the CAH pedigree would suggest.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I like Secret Hitler for that player count, but I'm not sure it adds much you aren't getting from Resistance, so only add it if you enjoy that genre a lot.

At that player-count you are mostly looking at party game levels, as such, not technically a board game, but I find the Jackbox Party Packs are really worth their while.

To be honest though, at that point I'd split or run brackets probably.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is basically Mysterium with a hidden traitor.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Wits and Wagers is probably seen as pretty lowbrow around these parts but works really well at large numbers.

Werewords, Magic Maze and and Snake Oil/Funemployed are also good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

you should buy steampunk rally, but you should also do a martial arts training montage until you have the willpower to split the group into 2 or 3 groups of people who can each play good board games.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

If you're playing Sushi Go Party at high player counts, give this menu a try. It went over really well in 2 different groups.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Old Dun Cow posted:

If you're playing Sushi Go Party at high player counts, give this menu a try. It went over really well in 2 different groups.

I will definitely try this. The uramaki race is probably my favorite card set to play with.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

masters of commerce / panic on wall street is best with odd numbers up to 11, but plays 5-11 just fine.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Moriatti posted:

I like Secret Hitler for that player count, but I'm not sure it adds much you aren't getting from Resistance, so only add it if you enjoy that genre a lot.

Any who suggests Secret Hitler to their fellow man deserves to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Edit: Second against the wall. The first to pay for their sins will be the CAH evangelists.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Old Dun Cow posted:

No Miso Soup. Immediately terrible. Sorry.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Where's the best place to sell a game? I've got a copy of Fields of Arle I want to unload, since I never play it.

I posted it to Craigslist in the hope someone local would want it, but nothing yet.

So maybe BGG? Or SA Mart?

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

ShaneB posted:

No Miso Soup. Immediately terrible. Sorry.

Argh I know! I was down to Miso or Eel and went Eel for the "risk" card. I like passing it to someone who has none on the last card because I'm a huge jerk. I'll probably try to swap in Miso on the next go to see how it fares with this menu.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

manero posted:

Where's the best place to sell a game? I've got a copy of Fields of Arle I want to unload, since I never play it.

I posted it to Craigslist in the hope someone local would want it, but nothing yet.

So maybe BGG? Or SA Mart?

Craigslist is actually pretty good depending on the area. It can take a while for someone to find it, though. BGG is also a good choice but does take 3% on top of PayPal fees.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Any who suggests Secret Hitler to their fellow man deserves to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Edit: Second against the wall. The first to pay for their sins will be the CAH evangelists.

What makes it stand out as bad agaisnt other social deduction games? I don't tend to play much in that genre but the mechanics seemed good for sowing doubt and distrust and creating pressure?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Old Dun Cow posted:

This looks like fun, gonna try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Honestly Rex is mechanically better than Dune but yeah, Dune is just much more thematically consistent and interesting.

i dont know poo poo about either game or dune but could you just play dune with rex's rules?